First Five Days on Other Wheels: Now On to the V13

Josiah

4 hours ago, Josiah said:

Negative.  Sounds horrible.  Noise started after first ever long ride on the wheel.  

It's the update.. Duh..(Joke) You didn't want the old tractor noises? I haven't updated once my wheel - why fix what's not broken. :D 

Most problems start after update..

5 hours ago, Josiah said:

Negative.  Sounds horrible.

Did you try the screw at the bottom of the dampening shock? I was reading that eventually there ends up being play in it and it can be adjusted by that screw.

I know you haven't ridden it long but maybe there is some play in it. Sure sounds like a suspension thing not the motor itself.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Punxatawneyjoe said:

Did you try the screw at the bottom of the dampening shock? I was reading that eventually there ends up being play in it and it can be adjusted by that screw.

I know you haven't ridden it long but maybe there is some play in it. Sure sounds like a suspension thing not the motor itself.

Hey I did try the two screws, one on each side at the bottom of the suspension.  Same process we see in Marty’s V13 Introduction video at 34 minutes.  The screws were set a few turns before light tension so I did turn them to that light tension point.  With no result.

And @Funky

The noise started at mile 7 of my first long ride.  I was at a resting point and was doing small back and forth on a fence to get to a comfortable resting angle when it was so loud I heard through the helmet the grinding sound.  At speed the wheel is quiet.  Just these small foward and back are when the sound happens.  

jason at ewheels told me this is normal.  I’m just wondering if it’s more of a grinding issue that I’m not communicating properly. 

I’ll post this quick short of the noise once more to see if you all have any ideas.  Thanks 

Edited by Josiah
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Josiah said:

Hey I did try the two screws, one on each side at the bottom of the suspension.  Same process we see in Marty’s V13 Introduction video at 34 minutes.  The screws were set a few turns before light tension so I did turn them to that light tension point.  With no result.

And @Funky

The noise started at mile 7 of my first long ride.  I was at a resting point and was doing small back and forth on a fence to get to a comfortable resting angle when it was so loud I heard through the helmet the grinding sound.  At speed the wheel is quiet.  Just these small toward and back are when the sound happens.  

jason at ewheels told me this is normal.  I’m just wondering if it’s more of a grinding issue that I’m not communicating properly. 

I’ll post this quick short of the noise once more to see if you all have any ideas.  Thanks 

Something mechanical for sure. Bearings.. Or motor magnets scraping.. Gotta open the motor. (Noises are happening so fast. I bet its bearings. Can't be magnets. Because of movement radius)

And that's why i don't buy anything sooner than 4th batch. Because every newly released wheel is shit. :D And i stand to be corrected till this day.

Edited by Funky

Perhaps not all is as rosy as it first seems over in the V13 department. We are deifnitely beginning to see some issues now they are out in the wild more.

Sorry you're getting that noise @Josiah - I know if it's maxi-disappointing to be have that sort of thing after such a long wait for a wheel - I had a similar experience with my latest (though mine was a Begode so problems were fully expected !). In my case it was the bearings, and I could fix it myself with a re-grease, but your noise sounds like a more consistent / different kind of scraping than most bearing noises I have heard before.

Have you done all the spin tests with the machine off and on its side to see if you can better hear where it is coming from ? I had bits of A4 paper in mine trying to find what could be rubbing, and an ultra bright torch to look over the internals as I span the wheel - that might reveal something - maybe a small stone or similar stuck up in the wheel well somewhere rubbing against the hubs might cause such a noise ?

Edited by Cerbera
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Agreed it could be a stone. I’ll try the things that you suggested. I did put the wheel  upside down so that I could free spin the wheel and listen for the sound. It’s not as loud with the motor off, but I still hear a very slight grinding noise may be time to take her apart.  

6 hours ago, Tawpie said:

that's a bad bearing. Video needs to go to Jason... it's not a normal sound.

I did send him the video twice. First time he said it’s a normal sound so I asked him to look at it again and he said again it was not an uncommon sound from the other v13s.  I loved how quiet it was before.  I may take it apart and check for stones. I did have a lot of mud and stones in the tire before my ride last night tried to scrape them off before I reached Highspeeds cause I could hear them flinging off underneath the carriage.

i’m tempted to try and just ride it out and hope the noise will go away but it could get worse if there is a stone stuck inside or a bearing issue so maybe I should take it apart before I ride again.

Edited by Josiah

3 minutes ago, Josiah said:

I did send him the video twice. First time he said it’s a normal sound so I asked him to look at it again and he said again it was not an uncommon sound from the other v13s.  I loved how quiet it was before.  I may take it apart and check for stones. I did have a lot of mud and stones in the tire before my ride last night tried to scrape them off before I reached Highspeeds cause I could hear them flinging off underneath the royal carriage.

That isn't a normal noise... EUC's are running very quiet. Dealer simply putting the customer off.. He sold the wheel and doesn't want to hear from you.

I would simply return the wheel by this point and get my money back! NOT WORTH the hassle.

Edited by Funky

@Funky 

Oh, this could be user error if I did shoot stones under the wheel and got them stuck inside. I wouldn’t blame that on anyone else.

I’m really curious though as other people get the wheel if anyone hears the sound like this.

Edited by Josiah

2 minutes ago, Josiah said:

@Funky 

Oh, this could be user error if I did shoot stones under the wheel and got them stuck inside. I wouldn’t blame that on anyone else.

True.. But this happened right at first ride? Like come on wheels should be built better than that..

Anyways something isn't right. By riding you could damage it even more. If you don't look for the source.

Edited by Funky
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Josiah said:

Wow, no thank goodness it’s not to that point

I also reached out to @Marty Backe to see if he has any thoughts.

It's not a bad bearing it's perfectly normal. The tire is spinning. I just did it on mine same exact thing. The tire is actually spinning a quick sec when it reverses direction. I just did that same exact thing with mine. Don't worry this thing rocks.

• Like 1

From the thread:

Personal preferences for Protective Gear

11 hours ago, Josiah said:

Was playing with the easy carving again on a narrow path next to a concrete 4’ high medium and with the easy more leverage reaction of the wheel i over carved right init that medium.  

Could the crash have caused damage, with resulting noise?

I listened to your noise again... and am not as certain it's bearings. It has a metal-on-metal sound to it, which makes me immediately jump to "bearings" but it lacks the grinding sound you usually get with a bad bearing.

All the strange odd questions come to mind: does it do it laying on its side? how about the other side? can you manually find the place where it's grinding and go back and forth and hear the same kind of noise? We used to put a screwdriver on the bearing holder (the part that's not rotating) and stick our ear on the handle so the noise was transferred like a stethoscope... helped hear early bearing failure.

I don't know, I guess just ride it and see if it gets worse?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Josiah said:

F0A8FA96-8DD0-408F-820E-744CFF412E80.thumb.jpeg.29c1c8198a6acdf748cc1d00cf505970.jpeg

Rank Increase to E-3 Private First Class (this is superficial of course because I’m promoting myself)

Regarding the noises, don't panic or become paranoid. I'm no expert on Inmotion or bearings, but I'd guess that is extremely unlikely for this vanguard wheel. Maybe it's a tiny fragment in the motor that will quickly be ground to dust or some stray goop they poured overzealously on the windings. Who knows? You want to disassemble your $4000 baby and ride a bicycle for the next month? Just break it in unless it becomes serious. Other riders will let you know when that happens if you keep us up to date.

Sometimes wheels just have weird noises that go away. My first E+ (I own three, go figure) had this strange grinding noise early on. I sent the video in the post below to my seller who forwarded it to Ninebot. They advised to update the firmware and recalibrate. 

I decided to just keep riding the dang thing and make a joke out of it. The noise happened twice more but it was very short. I rode that wheel hard for 6000km until I truly wore the motor out.

• Thanks 1

Good point but I don’t plan on riding at high speed amongst pedestrians or cars.  I’m lucky to have found endless tunnel/ bridge bike paths around my town.  You literally don’t need to cross a road to go on a major ride.  

Edited by Josiah
  • Like 1