First Five Days on Other Wheels: Now On to the V13

Josiah

870C452C-99F9-4B6E-8B42-6E668F2C960A.thumb.jpeg.75197170673ca3dc3c8cbab06808ca10.jpeg

Back on the King Song 18XL today 
Day 4 night ride about 13 miles, bike paths and bridges and tunnels.

Tonight’s Newb Mistakes:

Range Anxiety

Not sure how much battery I had and the front light would occasionally go off. I thought this might be a low battery indicator (It wasn’t).  After the halfway point of my ride I downloaded the darknessbot App (couldn’t find the EUC World App on the iPhone store)  the app worked great auto connected to the wheel and showed me 92% battery still.  

Speed Wobbles

Kept the speed on the lower end and still struggled with the wobbles.  Breaking and carving helped me more feel in control.  Some pedal adjustments and balancing on one leg seemed to help with confidence as well.  Toward the last 1/2” mile of the run I found that ever so slight acceleration or deceleration improved my stability.   As opposed to coasting.

Dark Visor

Left the house with the dark visor on at night.  Spent 90% of the ride in the cold with the visor up, despite the cold air and snow because I couldn’t see.  Next time I’ll switch to clear for night rides.

Cold Feet

Toes were frozen.  Tried lifting and adjusting feet mid ride one side at a time and flexing to warm them up.  That did get the blood moving a little.  Next time I’ll wear winter socks. 

26C60EAB-3905-47EB-A9BF-85B0E907D74E.thumb.png.dc076a91d4e104f665e311de73f1da34.png

Edited by Josiah
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Josiah said:

After the halfway point of my ride I downloaded the darknessbot App (couldn’t find the EUC World App on the iPhone store)  the app worked great auto connected to the wheel and showed me 92% battery still.  

EUC World app is Android only, not available for iPhone.

• Sad 1

Keep it up, you're making great progress. Excited for you. As for the speed wobbles, in time, you will be able to control it before it happens. You have been doing a lot of riding and the wobbles might contribute to foot/ muscle fatigue. Get some much needed rest and keep hammering away.

When at home, continue to keep using the balance board. Start challenging yourself by balancing with one leg, yoga pose to get the core muscles stronger.  With muscle memory, you'll ride better and your balance will be improved.  I still use my balance board and continue to challenge myself. I've only been riding for 4 months and IMO the balance board has greatly improved my riding. I can ride with one leg, ride back wards, make 90/180 deg turns at full stop, etc.  I ride  16-20 miles a day on my commute. And in the streets of SF, I have encountered pot holes, raised cracks from past earthquakes, homeless encampment in the middle of alley, drugged up walking like zombies, unexpected  car doors opening, red light runners, blocked cars blocking bike lanes, ridirect and jump over sidewalks,etc. Maneuvering around these obstacles makes you a better rider. My ride is not boring and I like being tested. Sometimes you gotta embrace the suck and enjoy the ride. Haha

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Josiah said:

@Impoy47

btw nice pvc wheel stand on your profile page.  Did you make that?

Yes, made a few  of them, one at work, and one  in my back pack and put them together like legos.

Edited by Impoy47
Add words
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Josiah said:

night ride

front light would occasionally go off

At the rear of the wheel, above the charge port........is a tiny round, clear plastic light sensor.

When it is dark, the front headlight turns on automatically.

As you ride, there will be occasions when light from street lamps, cars etc., will strike the light sensor.......causing the front headlight to turn off.

Use a coin, with 'Power Tack' (not sure what Americans call it, think this is the generic name) a self adhesive, re-usable putty, to stick over the light sensor.

Headlight will then stay on continuously.

wobbles

Might be caused by changing posture. 

While learning, perhaps maintain an upright, straight, vertical spine.

Too much bending at the waist, knees, could be causing the wobbles.

Test it.  Deliberately bend the waist, knees by a large amount.......and see if it causes wobbles.

Once more experienced and skilled, do all sorts of body contortions.

Posture of riding an EUC.

hq720.jpg?sqp=-oaymwEcCOgCEMoBSFXyq4qpAw

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Josiah said:

Toes were frozen.

Perhaps purchase a heat vest, powered by a power bank purchased additionally.

They really work well, and a large capacity power bank will work for hours.

A large volume of blood is continuously passing through the kidneys.

The heat pads at the kidney location will heat the blood.

Kidneys will act as a heat exchanger.  Similar to the radiator of a car, but absorbing heat instead.

Warmed blood will carry heat to the entire body, including toes.

Excessive heat is carried to body extremities to be dumped.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/325377750884?hash=item4bc2067764:g:nEAAAOSw13NjRON7&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAAwHVvbtiLXQqaf0bfBzvSDJm0ASGRlXgluanNJ%2BtW9i5iwTnHzyLqw1V4JxTINx4rxZr0Uu6rohHFuc%2F58%2Fc23QmSEpwcM4pnsHzUGmd6uVdBTg1jDlAYs1aRXQupPOkAFJtiROsDa%2BpQv1sHWmHWtuGxDB8Ecvi6gT%2FtkmO4AyAEHbF9hMSgIhZ0lTdFlJUdKvzPA2gIpos76%2FhZm93wVaWlBjePZNGsg0jxajpl13ejIjKsMIu8wk8LtpghWVKJFA%3D%3D|tkp%3ABlBMUPqan8_GYQ

s-l1600.jpg

• Like 1

@Josiah Emm you do understand you started out on 18XL. :D (Or whichever wheel you rode first.)

The title "I Cheated: Beginner Starting Out on a V13" Doesn't match anymore. Because you started out on 18xl. :D Maybe fix it? It would be the same as if i said - i started out on my 18xl. But in reality i learned/started out on my dads ks16s. For 3 days i rode it, before i got my wheel.

It's kinda misleading title now. Wink-Wink. You could say, you cheated on cheating. Combo breaker - Cheatmathick!!! :D

Edited by Funky
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

@Funky Oops I don’t want to be misleading.

My wheel comes in tomorrow.  So day 6 will be on the original title wheel.    Maybe the tile could be,  Five Days of Practice Wheels then Beginner Gets on the V13 

I’ll think of something less misleading. Might wait until Friday. Good point funky. Thanks for your interest and input.

Edited by Josiah
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, Paul A said:

While learning, perhaps maintain an upright, straight, vertical spine.

No, just no. 

9 hours ago, Paul A said:

Posture of riding an EUC.

hq720.jpg?sqp=-oaymwEcCOgCEMoBSFXyq4qpAw

This is a terrible posture. 

The brain is incredibly lazy and will make you do the easiest thing (especially on suspension wheels).

Maintain a loose posture with a bend in the knees. At the start it might feel a little awkward but as you get used to it it will become second nature and will save you from falling during unanticipated events.

I use disposable toe warmers when riding in the cold. They have about a 5 hour life and can be used several times. I put them in a plastic ziplock bag when done riding and the reuse them for the next ride. Works great-also hand warmers. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Paul A said:

The V13 is a suspension wheel.

Observe the posture, knees, in the following video.

What am I looking at here? I can't seem to focus on the postures, knees. All I see is unprotected knees, elbows, errr. Chest.... armor? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Josiah changed the title to After Five Days of Warmup: Now Beginner On the V13

Day 5,

Took a 32 hour break.  Rode 12 miles on Ron’s 18XL this morning.   It was frozen outside.   Visor was unusable from frozen fog.  Practiced lifting one leg at a time for 20-30-40 feet or more per side and got my first tiny air!  Big wheel comes in today.  I’m super excited.  

6A869462-4410-4C38-B7D3-35DB6AE2765C.thumb.png.21e3c1a95b4dac8c3a6b69ed67b70a6e.png

Edited by Josiah
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Josiah said:

Visor was unusable from frozen fog.

My snowmobile visor is heated for just such an occasion, i wonder if i could use an adapter to usb and plug into the back of my wheel. Would be interesting to check out. I have seen a few people have this problem.

• Like 1

• Josiah changed the title to First Five Days on Other Wheels: Now On to the V13
13 hours ago, Josiah said:

1A2C0730-8AA9-4AEC-B78E-539BCE4AC18E.thumb.jpeg.eaf801e77893c0c8f368e7d908605a00.jpegGot it!

You look like a child about to unwrap a Christmas present :clap3: - and I completely understand that. Experienced the same when I unpacked my 16X. And got a bonus when I turned it on - in the background my phone played music over the stereo system via bluetooth, and suddenly and without warning, the BT connection jumped over to the wheel's BT connection and played at almost full strength - and the speakers in a 16X do play LOUD!  - I had a good laugh :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1