First Five Days on Other Wheels: Now On to the V13

Josiah

Don’t want to beat a dead horse head but some more thoughts on the wheel noise.  

Turned it on each side and then upside down to free spin and listen for noise.  It’s got the quietest sound like a little gravel near the axel.  But when the motor is on and upright its 10 times louder. 

Edited by Josiah

14 hours ago, Josiah said:

Hey I did try the two screws, one on each side at the bottom of the suspension.  Same process we see in Marty’s V13 Introduction video at 34 minutes.  The screws were set a few turns before light tension so I did turn them to that light tension point.  With no result.

And @Funky

The noise started at mile 7 of my first long ride.  I was at a resting point and was doing small back and forth on a fence to get to a comfortable resting angle when it was so loud I heard through the helmet the grinding sound.  At speed the wheel is quiet.  Just these small toward and back are when the sound happens.  

jason at ewheels told me this is normal.  I’m just wondering if it’s more of a grinding issue that I’m not communicating properly. 

I’ll post this quick short of the noise once more to see if you all have any ideas.  Thanks 

I don't have the V13 this moment to compare mine to yours. From how you are filming it, hard to tell if there's something wrong. The V13 can be a noisy wheel, particularly when doing what you are doing in the video.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

73903647-5DCE-4851-9C35-D0733D6F2FEC.thumb.jpeg.d8201ad6ed716d754d67ae557391357d.jpeg

First time loading the wheel into my van. It would’ve been easier if the van wasn’t full of work stuff even though it’s a beast  and it was hard to load. I’m so excited to see it in on its first car ride!  Also, I love the Clark bumpers not only do they keep it safe when you have a fall but it’s also good for keeping it safe when loading.

Edited by Josiah
  • Like 2

Took the wheel with me to work today. It got super cold in the car last night and took a little while to warm up in the sun before the motor would start this morning. Probably best to store it in the house.  I went for a 2 mile ride on my break. Super fun to have the wheel at work for the option of doing that. 

Inmotion is dropping the old version of their app with the social media portion.  The new app will not have social media, but it will have the connect to the vehicle function of course.   I downloaded TestFlight  on Apple so that I could download the beta for the new app.  It is too bad they drop the social media part of their app. It seems really fun to see other riders and their trips.  I’m guessing it had something to do with government regulations in China regarding international social media.

There was a lot of snow and ice when I went on a smaller ride initially this morning, and I took a few low speed spills.  The second longer ride was in the afternoon when most of the snow and ice had melted. You have to love Colorado as long as you’re not in the shade the snow and ice usually melts in one day.  Also I went up my first little curb today.

4B0C1C4B-05F2-4D5E-A2FE-30B38BB4EE52.thumb.jpeg.0f3fa9ce5d2cc0ce002d40532451cd51.jpeg

The wheel almost fits nicer, and easier to load in the front seat. And that gives mace space for the tools in the back.

Edited by Josiah
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Josiah said:

Took the wheel with me to work today.

Be wary of theft.

A member had his wheel stolen from a job site last year.

People have seen what it is, what it does, how it turns on, how it trolleys, that it can be carried, that there is no key for operation, where it is stored, where/when you are working, etc.

Goatman.png

Goatman1.png

• Like 1

V13 anti theft quality’s

#1 weight

Thieves don’t like doing hard work.

#2 power up code

10,000 possible combinations four digit

1,000,000 possible combinations six digit

#3 I’ve got the motor and battery hooked to a wire on the trolly handle.  Anyone touches that without knowing the how to disconnect gets a nice 10,000 Watt kiss good morning.

Edited by Josiah
  • Haha 1

Thief might not be deterred by 50kg weight.

He/she may have observed how it is carried.

Power up code would not prevent it being carried off.

After initial shock, a thief or accomplice could easily defeat the shock defense by wearing gloves, use a towel etc.

Thief(thieves) may already know of the shock defense if they have been observing.

The previous member's MSX Pro would have been around 70lbs.

The previous member was on a site that was completely fenced, with security, yet theft occurred.

V13 is a very expensive and tempting target.

• Like 1

Just kidding about the shocking wire. I’m pretty sure booby traps are illegal.  Plus some innocent person just admiring the wheel would take a shock.   Also, it would be an absolute guarantee that I would shock myself.

One time when working in New York City a thief grabbed a briefcase out of the back of the work truck. Funny thing was, the briefcase he grabbed was full of door boring drill bits, and weighed about 50 kg.  We saw him grab the case from the truck as we were working on the second floor. Shouted out ran down. We’re able to catch up with him and chased him about half a block before he decided it was too heavy to continue the effort.  

Edited by Josiah
  • Like 2

Simple use of a bike lock run through the tire alone would make the wheel difficult to move. Of course you could wrap that around a stationary object. Also, a renters insurance policy covering the wheel for theft is not a bad idea.

Edited by Josiah

7 minutes ago, Josiah said:

bike lock

7 minutes ago, Josiah said:

insurance

Yes, a lock may help. 

Locks can be defeated though. 

Bolt cutters.  Battery powered angle grinder.  Simply using two large spanners to apply leverage and snap open the shackle.  Many methods.

Or defeat what it is locked to.

Eg.  Steering wheel locks.  Thieves cut the much thinner, weaker, steering wheel.......rather than the lock.

Insurance might be an idea. 

A determined thief might be much more experienced, knowledgeable, brazen, highly skilled professional, than the layman victim.

• Like 1

@Punxatawneyjoe Through the InMotion App.  On initial connection process. 

Quick warm-up ride this morning before work. About 1 mile.  Included  up and down a nice curb, big figure eights and some tight figure eights practicing keeping my arms down and did some seated riding.   Didn’t want to put on a helmet today so I set the speed limit to 15 mph and kept under the beep.  I did have my kneepads on my gloves and my cigar.

Edited by Josiah
  • Like 1

If you "lock" a KS wheel, it stops balancing and beeps anytime it's moved... one can still carry it off but it's noisier! Locking is in the KS app and EUCWorld (and probably DarknessBot too). It's independent of the passcode so you can lock and unlock it without bothering with a passcode. EUCWatch has an auto-unlock function as well.

When you do large group rides BTW, it might be a good idea to put a passcode on your wheel anyway, just in case someone else connects to it on accident.

Just now, Josiah said:

and my cigar.

good call!

• Like 1

I’m picturing a Mark Rober glitter bomb video.  They set a wheel out somewhere in San Francisco, five minutes later someone pulls up next to it with a car and a bolt cutters, loads the wheel and their gone in thirty seconds.  We have a broken “Justice System”

13 minutes ago, Josiah said:

I’m picturing a Mark Rober glitter bomb video.  They set a wheel out somewhere in San Francisco, five minutes later someone pulls up next to it with a car and a bolt cutters, loads the wheel and their gone in thirty seconds.  We have a broken “Justice System”

Maybe in some places but not all. I like to think that there are more good places in the US than bad; it's just the trouble spots get all the oxygen and attention. Sorry if you live in one of those areas.

• Like 1

Interesting thing with my Wheel today.  Had a fun technical couple mile ride with a buddy. Tried going up steep hills in the snow, over some snow banks, had a nice ledge that got progressively bigger so I was able to try normal curb height drops all the way up to double curb height maybe 12 inches high drop.  I might add a little more air to the suspension. I think I felt about them out but I’m not sure.  Did all kinds of fun stuff.  

After that bit of riding, I was about to end my ride and trolley to the car when the wheel turned off by itself and would not turn on.  I tried to get it to turn on several times, then loaded it in the car and after a 50 minute drive, took it out at home and it powered on just fine.  

F6E47801-FD82-4E9F-B237-B5B7100F9DC2.thumb.jpeg.25035906917fd9979788be3068d7da94.jpeg

fair bit of mud up there,  this area needs a plug maybe a vented plug for cooling airflow.  Maybe I can modify this plastic vent and Velcro it in there.

Vent Cover - Round Soffit Vent - Air Vent Louver - Grille Cover - Built-in Fly Screen Mesh - HVAC Ventilation (4'' Inch, Plastic - Black) https://a.co/d/54z1Kmo

E3977E97-F5BD-4624-A25E-DDF657145B63.thumb.jpeg.daf8e7fdfc67469b762f97b41d282d64.jpeg

Edited by Josiah
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

yeow! Looking... brave as heck!

Jump sooner and really hard when you bonk the curb, when the timing is right the tire kisses the curb without your weight on it at all so all it has to lift is itself. Your feet are also pulling it up as well.

Remarkable progress though. It was a very long time before I had the guts to bonk a curb!

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1