First Five Days on Other Wheels: Now On to the V13

Josiah

Just over a week ago my V11 gave me a similar error message and refused to balance. I was across town at a friends house and had to Uber home. Super pain in the ass. I emailed inmotion and had to send them the serial number of the wheel and the wheel log for them to review. Turns out there was nothing wrong with it or any components, the wheel detected a voltage irregularity and shut down for safety. After a week of back and forth they finally unlocked my wheel. Hopefully your wheel is fine and won’t need to go through that process. Let me know if you have further issues and want any more information. 

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Josiah said:

B9758E4F-71D2-4A59-BC3B-08CC4858DAF5.jpeg

Individual cell voltage monitoring for the win!

I'd keep that wheel somewhere that it can burn if it decides to. Not saying it will, but it's not happy at all. At least take that pack off and sequester it.

Interesting though, IM's "about our new battery" video talked about their triangle communication and the BMSs talking to the motherboard and all that. I would have expected both the motherboard AND the BMS to have called a party foul on both under and over voltage cells. It may have initially, but seems to have decided it's ok now?

Edited by Tawpie

Very sorry to hear this man, have you looked the wheel over to make sure there is no damage to the battery case in any spots? Unfortunately i would agree with others saying make sure it's kept in a place that if something happens, everyone will be ok. You said the message is there again now right? The battery protection message? The dramatic discrepancy between those two cells next to each other like that is bizarre.

6 hours ago, Punxatawneyjoe said:

Just looking for an update, even my wife was asking about your wheel yesterday..:laughbounce2: Hope it's good news @Josiah.

Thank you both for asking!

I’ve been working with Jason at ewheels and a service rep from IM on an email thread.  There making sure it’s not a software/ firmware issue.  Jason said he might go ahead and locate then ship a battery replacement.  Looks like I’ll be tearing the wheel down myself soon.

Here’s a short clip from the wheel acting strange last night.

https://m.youtube.com/shorts/wpXGWMoI6o4

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Paul A said:

Maybe the few times it was stored outside in the cold car has caused condensation internally, and damaged the electronics?

That’s possible.  I have read here on the forum of others storing their wheels in colder environments.  The cost of heat has been very high this winter.  Some choosing to save money by letting some parts of the house get colder than they would otherwise. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Josiah said:

cost of heat has been very high this winter.

Maybe DIY foam sandwich boards, cut to size, to place on windows, to greatly insulate and prevent heat loss.

Foam blocks are sometimes used in shipping containers as padding to prevent contents from moving whilst in transit.  

is: large packing peanuts.

Large, rectangular, uniformly sized, easy to cut, easy to glue/silicone to cardboard.

Importers happy to give it away free.  Costs them to remove rubbish.

Just don't ever have it catch alight, or it will be DIY Grenfell Towers.

If you ever view a house with a thermal imager, there is massive heat loss via the glass.

Edited by Paul A
  • Like 1

CF5DF44C-A7C7-4288-840E-27A12112D9A6.thumb.png.d984b808a3a2395c2ba842020fac2e98.png

8F930317-0152-4E62-8244-19A0A3EF7C71.thumb.png.1d90d0167e486bd8466659f506de2323.png

45F2765D-9235-496A-AC78-88ACF9EB159B.thumb.png.3c31eb61751e76c1cea19a5cb2bc49d8.png

Jason at Ewheels is sending parts to me (not sure if it’s both battery packs or one pack) and InMotion sending parts to Jason (pack #1). they have confirmed battery 1 needs to be replaced.  Bit of a time lag of course.  I’ve had so many weird error messages and still showing the 5.1 v cell next to the low volt cell.  
drained battery to 28%.

Jason asked me to charge the new batterie one at a time.  

Unplug the left side and charge the right by itself and that should be sufficient.

Is the left side pack # 2?

If I’m standing on the wheel are the right/ left sides the same as my own right and left?  

• Sad 2

I’ve got a 20lb shipment coming in from Arizona.  That’s probably 1 battery from Jason.  Do you guys know if the packs are handed right and left?  Will I know which side it is by the shape or are they symmetrical?  

9 hours ago, Josiah said:

Jason asked me to charge the new batterie one at a time.  

Unplug the left side and charge the right by itself and that should be sufficient.

I shouldn't speak for Jason but I believe what he wants you to do is to charge both batteries, but charge them one at a time so that they are at (nearly) the same voltage when they're both plugged in... not being at the same voltage will cause the wheel to declare a battery fault and it won't work. At all! IM added this as a safety feature after a couple-three brand new V11s burst into flames presumably because their packs were at significantly different voltages from each other.

• Like 3