V12 Cutout tracking

Richardo

5 minutes ago, Robse said:

Not waterproof,  but works; no cutouts or backwards acceleration or other weird things going on.  Simple to work on.  Simple chinese tech, and it's a smooth ride ;)

https://www.ewheels.com/product/new-gotway-rs-19-100v-1800wh-battery/

Yeah I've considered that in the past, but wanted a smaller diameter wheel for this one. And the fact that I'll be loaning this wheel out at times to new people, just makes a Begode wheel not an option (fire risk).

If I knew the wheel was only going to be at my place, I'd consider a Begode and just store it in a fire box.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, vikingto said:

And maybe I'd be better off waiting for the next production batch, see if they'll work out the kinks more? A V12 HT Pro or something?

Interesting thought.

However, history has shown that Inmotion don't update or introduce many new models a year. And the V12 HS or HT have sold well with very few owner complaints these days.

IMO, the V14 will keep them busy for a while. On top of that, anything new, and you would have to wait out the early batch issues.

V12's are generally reliable, durable, and are designed to be serviced. 

Edited by techyiam
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, techyiam said:

Interesting thought.

However, history has shown that Inmotion don't update or introduce many new models a year. And the V12 HS or HT have sold well with very few owner complaints these days.

IMO, the V14 will keep them busy for a while. On top of that, anything new, and you would have to wait out the early batch issues.

V12's are generally reliable, durable, and are designed to be serviced. 

However, if you are handy and don't mind getting your hands dirty when need be, the RS 19 can be a fun wheel. But there are tradeoffs. V12's have dynamic tilt-back for safety. This is an important safety measure once you start to ride fast.

If you don't already have the S22, I would say wait for the Sherman-S 16", assuming you can wait that long.

The Sherman S16...interesting. I missed the announcement on that one. Yeah I've been shredding with my S22 since June, then printed and installed sliders in November.  Absolutely love that wheel.

I agree that this most likely was an outlier and a random hardware failure (production error with the board from the start). In the worst case, it's a new issue, but let's hope not.

ewheels certainly wouldn't send out the problematic first batch wheels (that's why I asked for the seller and how old the wheel was).

I would also let them send me a new V12 and then expect everything to be good.

• Like 2

On 2/10/2023 at 2:51 PM, Robse said:

More and more stories of berserk-zombie v12's does not put ones mind at ease. I hope inmotion at least says something soon about these. 

I am not looking forward to another community based investigation on issues. No offense to anyone who has helped in the past. The community really has been amazing.. But its not a valid replacement to the manufacturer doing what they are supposed to do. Report and fix issues. Even if they say they are looking into it would be nice at this point. 

• Upvote 2

37 minutes ago, jimjam.nyc said:

More and more stories of berserk-zombie v12's does not put ones mind at ease. I hope inmotion at least says something soon about these. 

If it is caused, as one respondent speculates, by an unfortunately sized stone getting wedged between tyre and shell, that might be quite hard for IM to recreate and address.

5 hours ago, Cerbera said:

If it is caused, as one respondent speculates, by an unfortunately sized stone getting wedged between tyre and shell, that might be quite hard for IM to recreate and address.

If that is the case then there is nothing anyone can really do about it. There seems to be a bunch of reports of the same issue though.. I wonder at what point it gets looked at as an actual issue. All of this being said, i have had a v12 since batch 1 with absolutley no issues other than never being able to get that feeling of something is going to happen out of my head. It never stopped me from riding and enjoying the wheel, but it would be nice to have some quiet time with no issues surrounding the v12

2 minutes ago, Paul A said:

Why/how would a rock cause uncontrolled acceleration?t

Oher riders reported the same cause?

I wonder too. Once the rider is thrown backwards, there is nothing to force the controller to accelerate. If a rock is jammed and resists the rotation of the wheel, it is no different than if you are riding against the wind, in mud, uphill  or the speed is high?  Regardless; if the wheels (pedals) are horizontal (rider is gone, wheel is traveling on its own), the controller must not accelerate.

• Like 1

On 8/7/2022 at 5:25 PM, EdLeszczynski said:

I thought it's the same software issue Adam from wrongway youtube was having

It could be software, but that doesn't appear to be a known. Inmotion haven't (unless more recently) responded to this. That was one of wrongway's concerns with that particular issue - at this point it is just russian roulette with no planned fix. I understood that problem (speeding up) was just with the HT; I may be wrong. The HT was a wheel I was interested in.

Edited by Uras

10 hours ago, Cerbera said:

I have a 16x and clearance is minimal between the standard 3" tire and the wheel cavity. I ride a fair bit of single track - I often hear small stones etc getting forced between that tiny space between tire and inside guards of the euc. It probably happens 2 to 3x each ride; I've had about 60 rides to date. So far it has been without consequence - I haven't worried about it. Is getting something stuck between tire and wheel cavity something that occurs? If so what have been the consequences? Maybe I've been getting away with it because of relatively low tire pressure (25psi)?

Edited by Uras

It will be something to look into, but I wonder how much the V12 is affected by the same bug as the V13 which enforces a 5s delay between alarms.

I know my V10F has that 5s delay. It was supposed to be fixed but apparently it was only for the speed-related alarms and not others (like battery current).
So maybe a bunch of unexplained V12 cutouts are caused by that one, and the V12 likely needs a firmware update addressing it.

Something to follow closely.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, BlunderedEUC said:

Are the v12 cutout and random acceleration issues mainly on the high torque version or does it still impact the board swapped HS as well?

cutouts seemed to be limited to the early HS wheels, they seem to have been fixed with the last revision of the control board. The (fairly rare) randomm acceleration has been observed on the HT wheels, but I don't recall hearing about it on the HS.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well my, at the time, 2 month old V12 HT had a driver board die on it, which dumped me and broke my shoulder. Confidence shaken. I was under the impression that these sorts of things were no longer an issue for the HT line. I mean it is possible that it is a fluke, but it was a real eye opener as to how much trust we are putting in these wheels to not seriously hurt us. 

• Sad 3

• 4 months later...

Had a cutout on a v12hs, less than a month old, between 160-200 miles >80% battery, latest update, ride did not log.   I was traveling uphill on a paved surface around 18-24mph.  It slammed me forward, making me thankful I had my gear on.  Left femur is painful, bruised thigh, and my right large toe is certainly broken with a bloody purple nail.   This would have been much worse had I not been geared up.  The euc would not power back on, plugging into a charger would display charging, unplugging would allow me to turn it on for under 1sec, then nothing again, while plugged in i could access the app, no errors or notifications given.  Rolling resistance felt on the wheel, assumed mosfet failure based on things I've read.   Returned for an HT, but am having 2nd thoughts on that as well as it seems to have possible runaway issues.  I'd rather get yeeted to the ground than launch a wheel into a pedestrian or vehicle, but ultimately I'd rather neither be a possibility.   Being brand new to euc's I was very excited and enjoyed every moment,  hopefully I can trust the HT when I am healed enough to ride again.  I didn't know about the cut-off test as it never came up in my searches until I had the issue, wish I would have, maybe it could have saved me from my injuries.

• Sad 4

3 hours ago, rax said:

Had a cutout on a v12hs, less than a month old

I’m so sorry you had to go through that! It simply shouldn’t happen to anyone.

I can’t help wondering if you’re wheel was from an old batch that didn’t yet have the board upgrade. Where did you buy it from?

To anyone that wonders how to deal with this I'd just offer the following "solution". If you get a wheel that has a few thousand km on the odometer you have a sort of guarantee it won't blow up right away. Obviously if those are extremely cautiously ridden kms it doesn't quite count as much as normally ridden ones.

18 hours ago, mrelwood said:

I can’t help wondering if you’re wheel was from an old batch that didn’t yet have the board upgrade. Where did you buy it from?

I thought it was the inmotion store front on Amazon,  but it's labled as "I inmotion" seller is byu green.  I'm not sure if it's a 3rd party or official.  The HT I got from ewheels and hope I have better luck.   I wondered that too, if it had an old board or the new board.  A cut-out at 40mph in traffic would almost certainly be fatal, I hope this doesn't happen to anyone and that the boards are changed out in existing stock.

• Like 2

V12 HT specific cut-out:

Friend's V12 HT (His name is William), relatively new V12 HT, maybe 3 months old, fresh batch, it did the classic speed up dump the rider backwards maneuver that we've seen/heard happen to Wrong Way and others, this happened September 1st.

Wheel fully functional afterwards, no burned electronics, just a "glitch", upon contact with Inmotion they quickly concluded that it's a problem with the main-board and sent him a new one via his reseller, not a great explanation why it happened: "We check the log, which indicates driver board detected a sudden changed of voltage and balance angle, that's why the vehicle accelerate abnormally."

• Sad 2