V12 Cutout tracking

Richardo

1 minute ago, meepmeepmayer said:

In other words, their new board will be used for all V12 from now on.

What are the HT mosfets? Are they TO-247? Rated for more than 100V? Does anybody know?

Sounds like it yes, so there would be 2 classes of V12:

• Batch 1&2: Original board, bad reputation, poor resale value
  • V12 & V12 HT with HT board, more power reserve, more robust, the wheel that should continue on

Does it look like the MOSFETs are the same size?

V12-ht-board-bigjpg

I need some help, is there anyway of testing the MOS for under specs?The diode test? We have check 2 dead units so far (one already repaired and performing correctly) and we can not find any pattern, they fail on pairs (not sure if that's normal), first unit was in Yellow phase now is the Blue phase. Any method to diagnose MOS without having to over torque the wheel will be really useful.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, supercurio said:

Does it look like the MOSFETs are the same size?

V12-ht-board-bigjpg

Is this a picture of the new (HT) board?

Those look smaller than TO-247 to me. So they stayed with TO-220 I guess:efef27703d: It appears a bigger board redesign would be needed to fit 12 TO-247 packages, as they are all in one row now.

For comparison: an old MSX board with TO-247. These look bigger, right?

GotWay-Msuper-X-Internationalen-version-

Can you even have big spec differences with the same size mosfets, so one type would be too weak but another would be fine?

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Is this a picture of the new (HT) board?

Those look smaller than TO-247 to me. So they stayed with TO-220 I guess:efef27703d: It appears a bigger board redesign would be needed to fit 12 TO-247 packages, as they are all in one row now.

Yes that's a picture of the HT board, at least as shown in the V12 HT brochure. There are some slight visual differences but nothing dramatic. Maybe we can find a photo of an existing V12 board at the same angle for direct comparison.

V12 HT brochure source, highest res I could find.

v12-ht-brochure

• Like 1

1 hour ago, supercurio said:

Yes that's a picture of the HT board, at least as shown in the V12 HT brochure. There are some slight visual differences but nothing dramatic. Maybe we can find a photo of an existing V12 board at the same angle for direct comparison.

V12 HT brochure source, highest res I could find.

v12-ht-brochure

Not 100% sure but it may be this:

https://a.aliexpress.com/_msE8a6y

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, skedra said:

Not 100% sure but it may be this:

https://a.aliexpress.com/_msE8a6y

Right. The casing and spacing between them looks the same.
Maybe the HT board in the brochure is not the real one.

• 2.5 kW continuous to 2.8 kW
  • +23% max: 6.5 kW to 8 kW 

It seem difficult to get there with the same size MOSFET, same count.
How would it be done is pretty mysterious at the moment, unless the physical design changes to accommodate larger packages or Inmotion sourcing found some gem.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, supercurio said:

Right. The casing and spacing between them looks the same.
Maybe the HT board in the brochure is not the real one.

• 2.5 kW continuous to 2.8 kW
  • +23% max: 6.5 kW to 8 kW 

It seem difficult to get there with the same size MOSFET, same count.
How would it be done is pretty mysterious at the moment, unless the physical design changes to accommodate larger packages or Inmotion sourcing found some gem.

Wouldn't be surprised if it was just a photoshop tbh. You gotta get material for adverts somehow 

• Like 2

On 1/13/2022 at 7:51 PM, supercurio said:

Alternative stress test suggestion #1

Would maybe bouncing the wheel on the ground be a test that could reproduce the required fast direction change without much risk? Disable the lift switch, and bounce the wheel like a basketball holding tight on the handle. Push it down faster each time the wheel’s approaching the ground, and aim for getting it up to 20cm (8”) above the ground. It’s practically impossible to make it stay perfectly level, so the motor will spin before hitting the ground.

11 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

What are the HT mosfets? Are they TO-247? Rated for more than 100V? Does anybody know?

At least the original cooling block can’t be used with TO-247, since the screw holes are too close to each other. Unless they radically change the controller and cooling block layouts, the HT version will also be using TO-220.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, mrelwood said:

Would maybe bouncing the wheel on the ground be a test that could reproduce the required fast direction change without much risk?

I’m making this comment without reviewing the incidents but two things seem to happen often enough that they stick in my mind:

1. Cutouts while riding are at low speed, not blasting around

2. A bump seems to be involved, but not necessarily a “drop”

@mrelwood’s suggestion seems like a sound additional test, and perhaps adding one where you go jogging along while trollying the wheel and boinging over speed bumps. (I know, jogging???)

Members have conducted tests properly, not induced a cutout, and then subsequently suffered a cut out when riding.

Only conclusive if testing produces a cut out failure.

Might be better to not test, and just have it repaired under warranty for free.

39 minutes ago, Paul A said:

Members have conducted tests properly, not induced a cutout, and then subsequently suffered a cut out when riding.

Only conclusive if testing produces a cut out failure.

Might be better to not test, and just have it repaired under warranty for free.

Will only happen if Inmotion instructs dealers that this is the case.

Cameron Massie had a cut-out on his 2nd batch V12:

Within 17 miles [..] ate the pavement

He had a batch 1 initially but sent it in to eWheels for bearing replacement under warranty - and it burned during the Tucson service center fire. No luck.

He's somewhat confident to ride the replacement board after accumulating more riding distance, until the new board version.

Edited by supercurio
  • Like 3

I recently ordered my V12 prior to finding out about the Cutouts and issues with the V12. My dealer EUCO.US stated in emails to me that they tested the unit and it passed prior to sending to me.  I haven't received it yet to test. I questioned them on even if it passed, wouldn't the test degrade the internal components quicker and cause the unit to fail at some point during real world riding and they told me in writing that I shouldn't have anything to worry about since it passed. I have them on record saying that so we'll see when it arrives. If something should happen my lawyer would have a field day with them.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Upvote 1

Dealers are put in an impossible situation right now, between Inmotion's "stress test proves safety" and some dealers & customers who had the wheel fail on them after the stress test.

Regardless your legal strategy @SupremTeamDallas please act knowing there's a reduce but existing risk of cutoff in real-world use with your V12.
You make it mean what you think is relevant for yourself. IMO the minimum is wearing all the gear, avoiding riding around cars, no exceptions.

Hopefully the situation will shift within a week, because it's absurd.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, supercurio said:

Hopefully the situation will shift within a week, because it's absurd.

And what should happen in a week time? We waited for longer than that and nothing seemed to change. The same InMotion “you can ride it after testing” and people still falling like flies. 

1 hour ago, SupremTeamDallas said:

I recently ordered my V12 prior to finding out about the Cutouts and issues with the V12. My dealer EUCO.US stated in emails to me that they tested the unit and it passed prior to sending to me.  I haven't received it yet to test. I questioned them on even if it passed, wouldn't the test degrade the internal components quicker and cause the unit to fail at some point during real world riding and they told me in writing that I shouldn't have anything to worry about since it passed. I have them on record saying that so we'll see when it arrives. If something should happen my lawyer would have a field day with them.

In my opinion many people live with false ideas and preconceptions about this wheel, and not with the facts about it. Just like all the Fox News followers still believing the election was rigged, because the only thing they’ve watched was Faux News. 

@supercurio @conecones @Paul g @GoGeorgeGo

That last statement i made was more sarcastic than anything. I was just kind of floored that EUCO would say that i have nothing to worry about when clearly these units are still failing well after passing the stress test. Once I get it ill certainly gear up and take it easy to see what real world riding will trigger the cutoff.

1 hour ago, SupremTeamDallas said:

@supercurio @conecones @Paul g @GoGeorgeGo

That last statement i made was more sarcastic than anything. I was just kind of floored that EUCO would say that i have nothing to worry about when clearly these units are still failing well after passing the stress test. Once I get it ill certainly gear up and take it easy to see what real world riding will trigger the cutoff.

There are EUC dealers that sell a lot.

There are EUC dealers that have great customer service.

Some belong to both. Some don't.

4 hours ago, Paul g said:

And what should happen in a week time? We waited for longer than that and nothing seemed to change. The same InMotion “you can ride it after testing” and people still falling like flies.

There are a few concurrent efforts to push Inmotion to understand and acknowledge how the stress test is not sufficient and that a voluntary recall is needed.

So I hope that these initiatives together will succeed, allowing to move forward again instead of remaining struck with the situation @SupremTeamDallas described.

Edited by supercurio
  • Like 3