INMOTION V12

Mike Roe

Is there a max temperature for the V12 that I should be monitoring and looking out for before stopping and letting it cool down?  How hot can I let it get. I’m going for a ride up to Mount Baldy on Glendora Mountain Rd., California. We’re taking 2 V12s.

On 3/28/2022 at 8:07 PM, RagingGrandpa said:

It looks cool, but... what about the pavement rider that wants a street tire and not-sky-high pedals with his Torque?

Are the pedals sky high? I doubt they are taller than the V11 pedals and those are still OK after one gets a bit used to them.

i rode my wheel in some moderate rain 2 days ago for about 30 minutes total, think i could have some water damage but not sure

the next day, i had a cutout (i think) during my ride. rode for about 5 minutes, stopped at a stop light, and when i started riding again the wheel just turned off. i dont think there was a beep or anything, and the wheel turned back on afterwards and i kept riding it with no issues. since it worked fine afterwards im thinking i might've just over-torqued it? but the wheel was at nearly 100% and i've never over-torqued it once in 300+ miles

later on in that same ride the wheel said "please repair" so i pulled over and ran diagnose on the inmotion app but it said there were no problems? so im just confused. seems weird that these two things coincidentally happened the day after i rode it in the rain for the first time.

i didn't use the kickstand after riding in the rain by the way, since i've seen people recommend against that

what do you guys think? regardless im happy my sherman max is arriving next week so i can let the v12 sit until the new mosfets are ready, and i can probably just have them check for water damage while they replace the board

29 minutes ago, StudentOfTheWheel said:

what do you guys think?

It's tough to say... the V12 is supposed to be pretty water resistant but when you add water to a known issue it's a total guessing game. Your plan to ask them to check for water problems when the board is replaced is the one I'd go with if I were in your situation.

• Thanks 1

On 3/30/2022 at 5:40 PM, rolis said:

Hey everybody. I asked my dealer about the v12 HS boards and the HT:

”…

The V12 HS will be available for deliveries in the middle of May. InMotion just informed us that they have delayed the production of motherboards and the motherboards will be ready at the end of April, instead of the end of March as they initially promised.

InMotion told us that they will probably be ready with the production of the HT by the end of April. …”

I wonder if the response is due to the S20 failure? Just a FYI double check sort of thing? 

Kinda curious on how Inmotion's plastic sealed battery containers will fair during a failure. 

Cos we all saw what happens when a sealed aluminium casing will turn into... A street clearing flamethrower... 

Just a random thought.... -_-

Edited by onizukagto
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, onizukagto said:

I wonder if the response is due to the S20 failure? Just a FYI double check sort of thing?

I certainly hope so! The delay in the S20 at least takes some of the "must do something before S20 steals our market share" pressure off.

• Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, onizukagto said:

Kinda curious on how Inmotion's plastic sealed battery containers will fair during a failure. 

Cos s all are what happens when a sealed aluminium casing will turn into... A street clearing flamethrower... 

Just a random thought.... -_-

Tesla cars batteries are also sealed, but they have a valve that lets gases vent out of the battery pack, that is because the LiIon batteries are releasing gases during their lifetime and you need to provide an escape route for those gases. It is also important in the case when one, or more, of the battery cells fails and it starts burning. That’s when the battery pack needs a venting valve. All EUC producers must provide one in every pack they build as a safety feature (and I know at this point the notorious No guy will comment, saying that if the new EUCs will have this feature then they will cost too much, so he’s not happy with it. I want to reassure him that Begode will still build wheels, so he should not worry as he will be catered in the future as well 😂).

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, Tawpie said:

I certainly hope so! The delay in the S20 at least takes some of the "must do something before S20 steals our market share" pressure off.

Inmotion redemption arch?

Would be hilarious If they post a video of how inmotion V12 handles a failure and also a thermals runaway battery fire failure... You know, to show battery containment performance. :roflmao:

Probably won't happen though, would be too much of a confidence flex and a not-so-subtle diss at all the competition. Sigh. :rolleyes:

32 minutes ago, Paul g said:

Does anyone knows if any V11 had a battery fire until now? The packs seems to be similar to V12 in the way they’re built. :confused1: 

No known V11 or V12 battery fires.

There was for V10 at the beginning due to inconsistent sealing with shrink-wrap + silicon, around which they retrofit a plastic battery box which protected it from water which could come from the top.

Then it looks like none of their wheel caught fire (on their own)

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, supercurio said:

No known V11 or V12 battery fires.

There was for V10 at the beginning due to inconsistent sealing with shrink-wrap + silicon, around which they retrofit a plastic battery box which protected it from water which could come from the top.

Then it looks like none of their wheel caught fire (on their own)

That would be a consistent trail of achievements from Inmotion.

• Like 1

:innocent1:   Ups, you’re right, thanks for your prompt observation. I mixed up my knowledge about other types of battery with the one about Li-Ion. The Li-Ion battery cells are completely sealed indeed, unlike other types of battery. With all that being said you need a way out for the gases and that’s when the valves come in handy. Sandy Munro teardown of Tesla battery pack is down bellow if you want to see how Tesla make their valves:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYFyiiEwOFI

Edit:  In one of the S20 teardown I remember I saw that at the top of the battery pack there is a hole where the wires pass through so that hole must have been blocked with flying debris or something??? 

I also noticed an other safety feature in Tesla battery pack: each cell is connected to the collector by a thin wire which acts as a fuse which burns out in case of a faulty cell, making the pack more resilient.

Edited by Paul g
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, Jeff Earl said:

Well, on the plus-side it seems the the MOSFETs didn't blow. :blink1:

Pretty harsh stress test indeed.

We don't know yet for sure which MOSFET will the HS replacement board use tho, nor the next HS production batch.

I just had my first big bail on my v12. Completely my fault, and I ran it out. Meanwhile the wheel bounced on its side a few times and spun until it turned off. But then it started playing alert noise after alert noise. It seemed like there were a couple of dozen of them one after another. All different. Mostly siren type noises, and one "please repair" in there. It went on for a comically long time. Worked just fine after. Is that just what a v12 does on a hard fall?

On 4/15/2022 at 8:46 AM, Silverfish said:

I just had my first big bail on my v12. Completely my fault, and I ran it out. Meanwhile the wheel bounced on its side a few times and spun until it turned off. But then it started playing alert noise after alert noise. It seemed like there were a couple of dozen of them one after another. All different. Mostly siren type noises, and one "please repair" in there. It went on for a comically long time. Worked just fine after. Is that just what a v12 does on a hard fall?

Well, if it can afford to make so much noise after a fall, I guess you can be sure it ain't serious? 

Better than silence and magic smoke! 

• Like 2