Priorities for protective gear?

On 4/19/2017 at 0:01 AM, Carlos E Rodriguez said:

the vest has forearm plate also. if you hit any of the pads it will need a bigger impart before a break.

full armour.jpg

gonna see if i can make this work...

gundam.jpg

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 4/18/2017 at 9:50 PM, kour said:

oouuch ouch ouch... more than ouch. yeah... helmet, wrist guards with skid plates and some tough knee pads seem like a good idea - although i don't know what they would've done to prevent... a broken arm?! yikes

The jury is out as far as I am concerned on wrist guards. I've quit wearing mine. I keep imagining falling and breaking all my fingers.. I'd rather risk a wrist. I tend to wear gloves, and tuck and roll with my fists clenched. I see my wrists as probably not going to get broken, but with wrist guards on, the fingers are probably toast.  Am I nuts?

There is no doubt that falling even at low speed will force your body to "catch" itself from ground impact by placing the extended arms down, normally with palms down if enough time.

I have personally seen MANY cases in MANY different sports where wrist guards not only protected the palms from scraping but FAR more important the wrist guards stopped breakage!

I have to think it is better to have broken finger VS broken wrist.

Even it I do a super short EUC ride I ALWAYS use wrist guards, and when doing any more FULL protection!

To each his own!

My jury has voted 100% for the use of QUALITY wrist guards as the very first element of EUC protective wear!

ukj

On 21/04/2017 at 7:58 AM, GoinPostal said:

The jury is out as far as I am concerned on wrist guards. I've quit wearing mine. I keep imagining falling and breaking all my fingers.. I'd rather risk a wrist. I tend to wear gloves, and tuck and roll with my fists clenched. I see my wrists as probably not going to get broken, but with wrist guards on, the fingers are probably toast.  Am I nuts?

Disclaimer: I don't wear wrist guards or any protection for that matter when riding EUCs.

I don't know if you are nuts B) but avoiding wrist guards to protect your fingers is, at least in general, most probably the wrong choice. I see your point with making a fist, but I still can't quite get around to convince myself you would be better off without, in case of an accident.

AFAIK braking a finger is usually less annoying than braking the wrist. The latter is very annoying and often takes quite long to recover from.

Just my two cents here, but as a motorcyclist as well as unicyclist, the more gear the better. There's a lot of light and normal looking gear available. My personal top priorities are kevlar jeans, a light full face helmet, proper riding gloves, and of course a jacket with built in armor for at least shoulders, elbows and maybe spine.

Emphasis on the full face helmet because I see lots of top-of-head style bicycle helmets which do little for the back of your neck and your face. Even a skate helmet that extends further down the back of the head would be preferable in most situations. Also emphasis on the proper gloves bit because again I see lots of fingerless wrist guards. I'm not sure if there's combo full glove and wrist guard options available, and which protection to prioritise is up to you. I'd personally rather sprang or fracture my wrist than shave off my finger tips, but I guess I'm younger than most here. Knowing how to react to a fall can help prevent a break too, but us humans are kinda bad at making that split second decision.

I should get into making full body customized armor since we mold every part of the body now.

It would not be a far stretch to fabricate a custom torso, wrist, elbow, shin and even face guards. We had fabricated clear face protectors for athletes that have suffered facial fractures. They just look a bit scary! :cry2:

The DOT approved helmets on the market are already excellent in quality so no sense in going that route. 

Ok.., who is going to be my first casualty? This girl survived! 

5 hours ago, UKJ said:

I have looked for a FULL face light inexpensive helmet but have not found.

Ideas please!

ukj

The style I really like are like the TSG Pass, but they're kinda expensive. That sort of look with the padding being much thinner than a full motorcycle helmet makes them hard to find. BMX helmets look worse in my opinion, but are a decent and lighter option.

On 4/22/2017 at 5:54 AM, ramma said:

My personal top priorities are kevlar jeans

Wasn't aware that these even existed. Thanks! Based your comment, within 5 minutes I ordered a pair.

The two conflicting requirements of riding are 1) looking cool (or not too foolish:P), 2) adequately protecting yourself against the unexpected mishap, or trying to gauge the appropriate level or risk you're prepared to take. 

I always ride with wrist guards now, such a minimal inconvenience, & knowing firsthand how debilitating/painful it is to suffer injuries to the hands, for me they're indispensable to riding. 

3 hours ago, Jason McNeil said:

Wasn't aware that these even existed. Thanks! Based your comment, within 5 minutes I ordered a pair.

The two conflicting requirements of riding are 1) looking cool (or not too foolish:P), 2) adequately protecting yourself against the unexpected mishap, or trying to gauge the appropriate level or risk you're prepared to take. 

I always ride with wrist guards now, such a minimal inconvenience, & knowing firsthand how debilitating/painful it is to suffer injuries to the hands, for me they're indispensable to riding. 

I've got the Kevlar jeans with the add in CE armor for the knees. These jeans would surely protect you if you crashed at speeds below 45 mph, but there is a cost.

Specifically, that cost is extreme bulk and heat. These are cotton over Kevlar and are unbearably hot once I get to the office. The knee pads, though they are conformable memory foam, are too stiff for office work. Once is left in the ludicrous position of changing from apparent casual clothes to work clothes because work clothes are more comfortable.

• 2 weeks later...

Just thought of something that may not be protective gear per se, but I just found some I had laying around. Retroreflective tape! Like the name implies, it reflects light back to the source making you a ton more visible. Same kinda of stuff those shiny silver bits are made from on the bright yellow visibility vests. It's pretty cheap and comes in lots of colors and sizes, so it's great for subtle night visibility and it's almost invisible during the day(unless in head lights and such).

• 3 months later...
On 20/04/2017 at 9:42 PM, kour said:

gonna see if i can make this work...

gundam.jpg

Well ....

2 questions:

Are there any decent tests of wrist guards? There seems to be quite a difference in construction, so which ones are best?

Anyone also wearing gloves to protect fingers?

Archived