Incredibly bad look for this community.

Roadpower

Video of EUC crash while operating an RC car, from time mark 0:00

Video of ride with assortment of PEV's.

Time marks of interest:

0:20    2:30    7:50    13:45     28:10    28:42    33:10    34:35

An RC car hitting a bump, pothole, debris etc can spin and tumble out of control.

Riding with an RC amongst a group of riders is probably not advisable.

EUC riders wearing protective gear of helmets, jackets, body armour etc are implicitly acknowledging there will be accidents beyond their control, regardless of their skills and experience.  Yet some seem to think they are not endangering others with reckless behaviour, because they have skills and experience.

It seems that there are threats to them.  It seems they pose no threat to others.

Concern for others: eg: Injury and death to pedestrians, general public.

Concern for self:  eg:  Prohibitive legislation/restrictions to PEV's

Not necessarily a dichotomy or mutually exclusive.

What issues are more important, take precedence.

What issues are less significant, are secondary.

Individuals will vary in attitudes, there being some balancing area, no extreme view at the total exclusion of all other interests.

Psychopaths are toward the self interest end of the spectrum.

Manners, politeness, respect, tact, are behaviours that are evidence of concern for others.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Paul A said:

EUC riders wearing protective gear of helmets, jackets, body armour etc are implicitly acknowledging there will be accidents beyond their control, regardless of their skills and experience.  Yet some seem to think they are not endangering others with reckless behaviour, because they have skills and experience.

It seems that there are threats to them.  It seems they pose no threat to others.

Are we really going to criticize EUC riders for wearing  protective gear of helmets, jackets, body armor? Are you serious right now?

When typing out “wearing protective gear of helmets, jackets, body armour etc are implicitly acknowledging there will be accidents beyond their control”, did that actually sound correct in your head? 

Associating proper protective gear with something negative Sounds just a bit off to me. 

Maybe I am not reading this correctly. I need more clarification. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Sumako said:

Are we really going to criticize EUC riders for wearing  protective gear of helmets, jackets, body armor? Are you serious right now?

When typing out “wearing protective gear of helmets, jackets, body armour etc are implicitly acknowledging there will be accidents beyond their control”, did that actually sound correct in your head? 

Associating proper protective gear with something negative Sounds just a bit off to me. 

Maybe I am not reading this correctly. I need more clarification. 

That is not how I read that. ......:confused1:
Actually? I constructively disagree with both of you. 

Of course there is danger. If I were placed in a situation where I was going to run into someone I would appreciate the extra gear when I jumped off the path and into a bad situation to avoid such a collision. ...... 

• Like 3

Hello RockyTop,

Hope you are well, thank you for your comment.

It is very pleasing and heartening to read your thoughts.

Yes, as we are the ones wearing the protective gear, we should not hesitate if needed, to take an impact, in order to protect the vulnerable public.

Thank you for your code of behaviour.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, winterwheel said:

I'd just like to insert, as a person who does a little business on the side renting out euc's, that I am totally in favor of euc rentals.

I think that is awesome, ... What wheels do you rent out?  

• Like 1

I'll rent out pretty much any of my wheels except the RS, I have only one of those and it is my towing wheel; even the EX is available as I have two. That said, my main rental items come from my stock of 5 MTen3, 3 Tesla2, 3 14d, 2 16S, as well as the S-18 because it is quite popular and which I don't use because I don't trust it to carry me the way I ride.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, winterwheel said:

I'll rent out pretty much any of my wheels except the RS, I have only one of those and it is my towing wheel; even the EX is available as I have two. That said, my main rental items come from my stock of 5 MTen3, 3 Tesla2, 3 14d, 2 16S, as well as the S-18 because it is quite popular and which I don't use because I don't trust it to carry me the way I ride.

I take it that things have worked out well over all. That is good to hear. I would have been too concerned about getting back damaged wheels. Although I would not be concerned about the 16s. Mine has caused more damage than it has received. It got wedged under a car and ended up ripping the bumper cover off the car. No damage to the 16s. 

• Like 2

Not to sidetrack things but yeah, the KS wheels are definitely tougher than the Gotway wheels. Bits of the Teslas are always falling off; while they go back together quite easily I'll likely sell those off and go with all KS for 16" wheels next year. I try to guess what will break on the wheels and buy the parts that will be needed to fix them up over the winter. Cosmetic damage I don't care about, in fact I inflict some intentionally so renters will not be so inclined to try to grab and save the wheel in an unplanned-dismount situation. "Save yourself not the wheel" is a mantra I really try to reinforce.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, RockyTop said:

That is not how I read that. ......:confused1:
Actually? I constructively disagree with both of you. 

Of course there is danger. If I were placed in a situation where I was going to run into someone I would appreciate the extra gear when I jumped off the path and into a bad situation to avoid such a collision. ...... 

@RockyTop - If you saw it differently, I’ll take it. It was this sentence; “EUC riders wearing protective gear of helmets, jackets, body armour etc are implicitly acknowledging there will be accidents beyond their control, regardless of their skills...” that completely threw me off. 

Being on an EUC, armor up. Get your helmet on. Get you gloves on. I’m a huge advocate on all of this. EUC is the most dangerous EV to ride. Super dangerous to any rider. Let’s be honest here. We are daredevils.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Paul A said:

Video of EUC crash while operating an RC car, from time mark 0:00

Video of ride with assortment of PEV's.

Time marks of interest:

0:20    2:30    7:50    13:45     28:10    28:42    33:10    34:35

An RC car hitting a bump, pothole, debris etc can spin and tumble out of control.

Riding with an RC amongst a group of riders is probably not advisable.

@Paul A- I apologize for giving you shit over your post. I really don’t understand your sentence where it appeared you were criticizing EUC riders for armoring up. Mind explaining a little more? Thanks!

Edited by Sumako
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, winterwheel said:

I saw some anti-rental comments above. I'd just like to insert, as a person who does a little business on the side renting out euc's, that I am totally in favor of euc rentals. :)

This has been a significant factor in getting EUC adoption rates up around here, as it allows riders to try out a wheel for a few days and see if it is going to work for them before they have to plunk down a few grand of commitment. 

Ah HA!!!! You got me. Anti-rental comments? Yes that would be me. I am loudest voice here against the corporate PEV rental industry. 

Winterwheel what you have going on is COMPLETELY different then what I am talking about. If only Lime and Bird would follow your path and have a brick mortar shop that trains and sets up riders to ride there ekick scooters. But that is not what is happening. PEV rentals like Lime and Bird need to be kicked out of every city. This “try not learn” model is a disaster to our community. At least it wont end our EUCs but still these “ride it and leave it” companies are really a bad look for us. 

Your’re doing it right!

Anytime you (or other responsible EUC leasers) see me bitching about PEV Rental industry, just know I am not talking about you. AT ALL!

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, Sumako said:

Ah HA!!!! You got me. Anti-rental comments? Yes that would be me. I am loudest voice here against the corporate PEV rental industry. 

Winterwheel what you have going on is COMPLETELY different then what I am talking about. If only Lime and Bird would follow your path and have a brick mortar shop that trains and sets up riders to ride there ekick scooters. But that is not what is happening. PEV rentals like Lime and Bird need to be kicked out of every city. This “try not learn” model is a disaster to our community. At least it wont end our EUCs but still these “ride it and leave it” companies are really a bad look for us. 

Your’re doing it right!

Anytime you (or other responsible EUC leasers) see me bitching about PEV Rental industry, just know I am not talking about you. AT ALL!

The ride it and leave it PEVs are an absolute pest. I 100% agree there. They just clutter the city and cause more problems than they generate solutions (or revenue, which is the real bottom dollar).

Because you rent it, there is no pride of ownership. There is no investment in safety gear. You would obviously never see a real PEV rider leave their vehicle in the road. Hell you wouldn't see any motorist leave a vehicle in the road. Can you even imagine the carnage if cars where treated in the same vein as rental scooters? Just left dead in the middle of the highway?

I would love to see the death of the ride it and leave it model. It would be so simple to setup charging kiosks around the city and fine renters 30$ for not returning the machine to a kiosk. I think that would be in every citys best interest to legislate. Maybe fine the companies 20$ for every scooter abandoned around the city. Would be a nice little pay day for the city to roam around collecting scooters and levying fines.

Edit to add: actually gives me a good idea. Major citys could establish rental hubs throughout the city. Not needing to be setup by individual brands but instead paid for and maintained by the taxes coming from the rentals. Any company renting vehicles could use the same "kiosk" area for charging and pickup/drop off of rental vehicles and the charging of private vehicles. For citys that want to embrace PEV transportation this would be a good step forward. Clean up the rental refuse, and stop some private riders from poaching electricity all over the city. Be a good spot for food vendors and beer carts to setup shop to 

Edited by GoGeorgeGo
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, RockyTop said:

Like it or not psychopaths are actually very common. We all likely know and respect one unknowingly. It is a medical condition that is not chosen by the affected person. Many are quite capable and provide much to their community. ( Some are extremely intelligent) ...... Others can be a problem but it is not a chosen path. (Sometimes actions need to be taken) 

P.S. I am not suggesting that anyone here is a psychopath. (And I am not one either :P

Damn, you finally caught up with me!!! 🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪

4 hours ago, winterwheel said:

I saw some anti-rental comments above. I'd just like to insert, as a person who does a little business on the side renting out euc's, that I am totally in favor of euc rentals. :)

This has been a significant factor in getting EUC adoption rates up around here, as it allows riders to try out a wheel for a few days and see if it is going to work for them before they have to plunk down a few grand of commitment. 

@winterwheel I think there's a clear distinction between EUC rentals and e-scooters or e-bikes.

A - any idiot picks up a rental e-scooter or e-bike and speeds away, feeling he knows what he's doing and not really afraid of getting hurt. This is due to their muscle memory and previous experience being extremely familiar the locomotion method of classical scooters and bikes. Big mistake... 

B - a person who rents an EUC has a totally different mental attitude. First they immediately find out how hard it is. Second they easily get hurt a bit in the first hours. And in third place, the rapidly associate that difficulty to a sense of their noisy vulnerability. 

So, in short, one can't mix EUC rentals with e-scooters or e-bikes rentals. There is a world of difference in the leaning curve of either and a rental EUC learner quickly finds out that he has to be very responsable, at least for his own safety. 

I, for one, have never put them in the same pot 😊😊😊

I think this discussion would be more productive if it was split into its individual points of disagreement.

• How much danger do EUCs, when ridden recklessly, pose to pedestrians? (I'd guess more than bicycles but less than e-scooters.)
  • How should EUC riders treat other riders who they think are hooligans? (Courteously IMO.)
  • What kind of events would lead to EUC bans in the US? (Given the small number of EUCs, I think it'd have to be something very extreme.)
  • Should the concerns of EUC commuters be prioritized over those of thrill-seekers? (No IMO.)
  • ... etc. ...

After 31 pages, even if this thread eventually does reach a conclusion, I don't think anyone will have the time to read it.

Edited by Skeptikos
grammar
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, Skeptikos said:

I think ...

My current gear: kit.co

You're a thrill seeker on a v8? Looking at your extensive kit list you seem to want full protection for yourself but you seem to approve of riders on powerful wheels riding at speed through the middle of defenceless pedestrians on a crossing. Or did I read your post wrong?

• Like 1