V11 firmware 1.2.22 available now! (March 29. 2021)

mrelwood

2 hours ago, Freestyler said:

Lastly I want to ask you something @houseofjob. I remember reading a post of yours where you claimed that soft mode is safer as far as overleans are concerned, but I don't remember your reasoning. Can you please repeat it?

From my point of view, overleaning the wheel now seems much easier, because accelerating hardly requires any effort. You just do the initial lean and your weight does the rest. On hard mode, accelerating and maintaining a high speed requires effort, you don't go there accidentally.

I feel like I should monitor my speed more closely now, just because it's so easy to extract the power from the wheel.

I have to put a disclaimer here for something that you have not adjusted for: I use power pads, which from what I understand is not something you use in soft mode.

I can just rest my legs on top of the pads and that takes care of the acceleration, without me having to raise my heels.

Without dragging things out as I've done plenty of times on this topic:

Hard mode lean, you are leaning all everything in your body forward, wheel being upright, so your balance is compromised in the event of an unforeseen bump, etc. Even with pads, which is better than none on hard mode since they at least keep your body upright and not superman-ing, your balance is still compromised all forward in case of unseen obstacle. For Soft mode lean, because of the perceived "pedal dip", you must always tilt the wheel body away from fully upright, and counterbalance weight one foot at the heel, with weight in the other foot at the ball (think of how skateboarders can flip / tilt their board because one foot is at the tail of the board, and one foot is at the front / lip of the board). Thus, in soft mode, you can only ride with each leg counterbalancing, so even with full force, in the event of needing to brake for an obstacle, you still have immediate leverage for braking (no delay) since there is always a back heel weight counterbalance. This is the same phenomenon for the EUC rider guys who ride split foot, where one foot is placed more on the front of one pedal, and the other foot is placed more on the back of the other pedal.

Also, the typical hard mode pads rider has their legs tight up against the wheel body and does not raise heels, which creates what riders mistakenly call the wheel's "lack of turning radius" (think when a car cuts you off, and you have to quickly cut 90 degrees to swerve out of the way). If you learn to ride legs / heels wider and utilize one heel lift at-a-time, you are always ready cut 90 degrees in an instant for sudden obstacles, as this has saved me many times riding in NYC where cars suddenly make non-signal K & U-turns. Soft mode, you can only ride with this heel lift and legs / heel being wide method. I will note, I've seen some hard mode pads guys lift their heels, which will improve turning radius, altho not nearly as much as if you get your legs/heels/ankles away from the wheel body.

This said, I imagine all this is hard to believe if all you know is hard mode pad riding and have never felt what I am describing, but many of us ride this way to different degrees in NYC, many of the other guys having learned from @Tishawn Fahie, lesser from me.

Edited by houseofjob
  • Like 3

22 hours ago, mrelwood said:

- Make sure you have the latest version of the Inmotion app.

- Turn on the V11, and connect with the app.

- Put the V11 on the ground on it’s side.

- In the app, tap the gear in the upper right corner for settings, scroll down to ”Vehicle correction”, select ”Self-adjustment on motor”, tap ”OK” and wait for the calibration to finish.

- While you’re at it, lift the V11 up, pull down the integrated stand, press the handle button to get the wheel leaning on it’s stand, and tap ”Turning and Forwarding Adjustment” at the same parent menu.

Thanks Mrelwood, did it and it all worked out perfectly...i had to upgrade the inmotion app to the latest version indeed, thought i already had it but that was not the case, so after i done that it worked.

Will be riding again soon, hope it makes a difference since he was already smooth as butter so fingers crossed 👌🏼🤙🏼.

Greetz from Amsterdam in The Netherlands. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Freestyler said:

I did some more tests today and found the following:

With user selected 50km/h max speed limit (fancy mode disabled):

On the previous firmware, with a sensitivity of 35% and above the speed limit will adjusted to 50km/h

At sensitivity 30%-34% the speed limit adjusts to 49km/h.

At sensitivity 29% and below the speed limit adjusts to 48km/h.

The above applies to both off-road & commuter mode.

With the newer firmware you can get 50km/h speed limit with sensitivity all the way down to 0% on off-road mode.

On commuting mode the requirements dropped by 5%, which means that you can now drop to 30% and have a 50km/h speed limit.

I have now chosen 30% commute as my new mode and I will try and get used to it for some weeks.

I have to say that it feels very responsive, connected and the breaking performance is amazing. If I had to describe it with one word, it would be "effortless".

(with the previous firmware I didn't like commuting mode even at 100% sensitivity).

I have tried the sherman in hard mode and latest firmware and that wheel tilts even in hard mode, but it's a delayed tilt which I hate.

It's like the wheel saying "Oh, I see you are accelerating / braking, let me adjust the tilt for you".

Lastly I want to ask you something @houseofjob. I remember reading a post of yours where you claimed that soft mode is safer as far as overleans are concerned, but I don't remember your reasoning. Can you please repeat it?

From my point of view, overleaning the wheel now seems much easier, because accelerating hardly requires any effort. You just do the initial lean and your weight does the rest. On hard mode, accelerating and maintaining a high speed requires effort, you don't go there accidentally.

I feel like I should monitor my speed more closely now, just because it's so easy to extract the power from the wheel.

I have to put a disclaimer here for something that you have not adjusted for: I use power pads, which from what I understand is not something you use in soft mode.

I can just rest my legs on top of the pads and that takes care of the acceleration, without me having to raise my heels.

@Freestyler and @mrelwood did you guys also set an speed correction in the euc world app or darknessbot app?...i have set a minus -5% speed correction to compensate the GPS speed vs the wheel speed, to get it closer and more accurate.

Just curious if you guys also did a speed correction or not?

1 hour ago, RobbyCrash said:

I don’t use an app during rides, so slight deviations in speed doesn’t matter to me at all. I only check the Inmotion app after a ride to see my max speed and power.

• Like 2

On 3/29/2021 at 3:58 PM, Ádám Szitás said:

On android the update took 30 seconds, and the text was not in chinese

Yes for me the same the upgrade worked as a charm, i will try out the changes in range tomorrow

9 hours ago, RobbyCrash said:

I don't, because I want to be in-sync with the wheel. The tiltback starts at 50 for example, I don't want to rewire my brain according to the app I'm using (and adjust for let's say 46 as the top speed)

When recording a tour through euc world, the gps speed can be seen anyway.

3 hours ago, Kamikaze_K said:

Is the “Normal - Fancier” option still showing up for people in the app???

So you don't see the fancy toggle, nor the speed limit slider? Simply re-enable the hidden fancy option. The ui state was maybe lost in the app update.

Edited by Freestyler
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Freestyler said:

So you don't see the fancy toggle, nor the speed limit slider? Simply re-enable the hidden fancy option. The ui state was maybe lost in the app update.

Yeah was going to try that and tap the top 5 times and see if it turns up again. Basically, the option isn't there and the speed limit slider is locked in 55km/h with no option to adjust it.  No biggie more QoL feature is all. 

Thanks for the suggestion! :) 

I have done some small tests on the modes and sensitivity.

- Sloping grass slope more or less to the limit of my balance, but surmountable
- Feet in exactly the same position (I didn't get off while shifting and testing)
- I have tested Commuting and Offroad, at 0%, 50% and 100% sensitivity
- I have noticed little difference between them, but .. finally I have stayed with Commuting 50%. Reasons:

1. It gave me the impression that it was slightly easier to overcome the slope, by leaning the pedal forward a bit more and not being so much "on tiptoe" and more with "foot inclined forward". I don't know if I can explain myself
2. Clearly, under hard braking it makes less wobbles. I do not know if it is because the pedal is more inclined back or what, but that has been my experience

Note that I have practically only had the V11 3000 km (with the V10 I only climbed mountains without much consideration) so we will have to listen to the opinion of someone with more experience in other sensations with more wheels

• Like 1

By the way: I see that it is not necessary to press the engine disconnect button to activate each change, as indicated in the app. It is simply worth changing it (that's why it was not necessary to get off for test)

1 hour ago, Halig said:

By the way: I see that it is not necessary to press the engine disconnect button to activate each change, as indicated in the app. It is simply worth changing it (that's why it was not necessary to get off for test)

The handle button must be pressed when switching between Commuter and off-road though. Only the pedal sensitivity is instantly applied.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mrelwood said:

The handle button must be pressed when switching between Commuter and off-road though. Only the pedal sensitivity is instantly applied.

You are right, thanks :efefae4566:. Another colleague has told me as well and I have verified it. Maybe my confusion has been because I have done the tests of configuration combinations on a steep slope and there I think that the change of mode is barely noticeable and yes the sensitivity.

This afternoon I have done more tests and I see that the Commuting mode has a little slower acceleration than Offroad and on climbs I do not see the difference, so, for the moment, I prefer the Offroad mode just in case I need a rush in traffic

What I have clearly seen (for now) is that at 50% sensitivity it rises slightly-slightly better and, very important to me, it makes less wobbles when braking hard.

I think it is because the pedal leans a bit more to have that "dead" zone in the center and accompanies you when braking and climbing makes you need to be less on the tip of your feet and the foot is flatter (although somewhat more inclined down). Well, at the moment they are sensations, but I am happy with Offroad-50%

• Like 2

Upgraded and went on a 28 mile ride yesterday.  Mostly single track MTB trails, black diamond.  Here is my overall impression:

• I have not heard this noted before, but I feel like this firmware is like the TORQUE update.  Faster acceleration, faster going up steep inclines and inclines in general, better braking.
  • The wheel feels more confidence inspiring all around in general.
  • More warning beeps than before.
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, BlckRck2014 said:

Upgraded and went on a 28 mile ride yesterday.  Mostly single track MTB trails, black diamond.  Here is my overall impression:

• I have not heard this noted before, but I feel like this firmware is like the TORQUE update.  Faster acceleration, faster going up steep inclines and inclines in general, better braking.
  • The wheel feels more confidence inspiring all around in general.
  • More warning beeps than before.

Definitely better for hill climbing, I'm very impressed by the new firmware

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Chaotropic said:

Anyone getting crazy vibrations at high speed?  It’s almost like the wheel is telling me to slow the fuck down or I’ll throw you off. 

Someone showed a video on the Inmotion chat of their V11 doing a really wild bucking motion front to back introduced by the fw 1.2.22.

First things to do are of course redo both the motor self-adjustment and the horizontal calibration. If that doesn’t help, try removing the motor self-adjustment altogether. If none of those help, lower the pedal sensitivity if you still have the guts to ride the wheel, and contact your seller.

Edited by mrelwood
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Chaotropic said:

Tried all of that. I’ve been just dealing with it.

So even a lower pedal sensitivity doesn’t fix the issue for you? That’s a bit different then.

I would seriously reconsider riding the wheel in that state at all. A violent shake is not a controlled situation in the wheel software, so unexpected things may happen, such as burning the fuse, toasting a mosfet, or other tragic failure that causes a crash.

Im getting a replacement bearing from ewheels on Thursday. I’ll see if that fixes it.

It won’t, that’s definitely not a bearing issue.

is there a way to revert to an earlier firmware? 

There isn’t. The app can only upgrade to a fw with a higher number, said the Inmotion contact when I was testing a beta firmware.

Edited by mrelwood
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, mrelwood said:

So even a lower pedal sensitivity doesn’t fix the issue for you? That’s a bit different then.

I would seriously reconsider riding the wheel in that state at all. A violent shake is not a controlled situation in the wheel software, so unexpected things may happen, such as burning the fuse, toasting a mosfet, or other tragic failure that causes a crash.

It won’t, that’s definitely not a bearing issue.

There isn’t. The app can only upgrade to a fw with a higher number, said the Inmotion contact when I was testing a beta firmware.

I hope they address the ability to revert firmware at some point. I still have not updated for fear of it causing issues and me not being able to go back to a better working version. I will keep watching to see how this update continues to roll out for people. Perfectly happy with the current performance, no sense in risking an update until all the kinks are fleshed out. 

10 minutes ago, GoGeorgeGo said:

I hope they address the ability to revert firmware at some point. I still have not updated for fear of it causing issues and me not being able to go back to a better working version. I will keep watching to see how this update continues to roll out for people. Perfectly happy with the current performance, no sense in risking an update until all the kinks are fleshed out. 

I doubt that will happen. Most products in general have reversing fw update options. This is from the midt set you don't release something that interduce problems but solved problems and add feature.

That is why most Asian companies are slow in releasing fw. Compared to US companies that is fast and then have onterduced more problems, general speaking.

There can be benefits to both ways. I am not judging this. It depends on situations.