Friends and Family Reactions to your EUC riding

Scottie

This question was spawned from another thread that went a little off topic, which is my fault for focusing on this aspect. There a few posts about this just above and below the linked comment. I am hoping it is good fodder for more discussion. I found a few threads about the reactions of the public to our hobby, recreation, or transportation. But I could not find anything dealing with friends and family support ... or lack of.

TOPIC: What has been the reaction to your EUC riding from your family and friends?

For myself, the reactions have been neutral to mostly positive. Family members are tolerant or amused at my escapades, knowing that I've always stretched boundaries. I have few friends around, somewhat by choice, since I run my own agenda most of the time ... it is easier that way! Most of my associates are also interested in the wheel in a positive way. Luckily my bad memory can't recall any negative issues with my dear ones!

What reactions and experiences have you had with your important people?

• Like 1

I feel sorry for those you have gotten negativity from small minded people as per the other thread. All my sympathy to them.

On my side everyone have been very positive. Asking how it works, trying to trolley or even mount. Being impressed with the capacities. Actually most my close family and friends know to ride now, including both parents and various cousins. Some even got their own EUC. Even riding around I hear so many positive comments, a classic being “that is nice” (“c’est bien ca”) at short stops.

Gratefull to be lucky with my surroundings.

Edited by null
  • Like 3

Those close to me try to suppress the disapproving shake of the head because it’s a foolish thing to do for entertainment. Especially at my age (we’ll call it early 60s).

Those that love me think it’s great and are a little stunned that I’d attempt this (especially at my age). But they mostly accept that this kind of odd behavior isn’t unusual for me, I spent a couple years wandering all over heck’s half acre staring at a phone playing some dorky location based game after all. Got up in the middle of the night and drove cross state for an “operation” in a game that by design, nobody ever wins.

My bride thinks it’s the greatest thing that I’ve found something else to do outside, but is not thrilled with all the little tinkering projects it’s spawned because that means more Amazon junk clogging up “my” room in “her” house. She has however, shared videos of me wobbling around and progressing to “pretty comfortable” with a definite note of pride.

I earned major cool-father-in-law points from my manual unicycle riding back country winter camping son-in-law. ‘nuff said.

Now, if I didn’t spend a small fortune on padding, and didn’t wear all of it, I’m sure there would be more concern—as is, what can they say? I am dayglo robocop.

Edited by Tawpie
  • Like 2

I've gotten nothing but various levels of positive reactions, some thinks it's really cool, others are very interested how it works, all around a lot of questions and smiles.

I usually show some short video clips where I ride too so they get an idea. 😊

• Like 2

To add to my post on the other thread, to put the whole thing into perspective, I like many other riders get a positive reaction from 99% of the general public that do give some sort of reaction. On the face of it, many riders therefore assume (including myself until a year or so ago) that the public 'love' EUC's.

It wasn't until the honest reaction I got from my friends, all of whom provided comments from totally unfussed to taking the piss like 'wheres your flappy shoes/fake dog poo/squirty flower etc' to 'that shouldn't be on the road/pavement' that made me think about the wider public. Even my wife has no time for EUC's tbh. She tolerates it, especially as it gets my daughter out riding with me too, but she is ever fearful about the illegality of it all, not to mention potential for injury (more towards my daughter than me of course).

Given the relative size of the percentage representation from ALL of my friends, I had to take into account that there HAS to be a large percentage of the public (the ones who don't say anything/give a reaction) who are also either unfussed/find it comical/simply don't like EUC's.

It was the last sentence that I tried to get across previously some months back, but many riders wouldn't have it, presumably because they, like me, get good reactions when we ride so are blinkered to those that silently fume. Personally I do however think that there are quite a few who despise us (just like they do scooter riders) and wish we were banished forever. As riders, we just don't generally hear from them though. Not unless we really wind them up.

Because of the above, it's why I try my best to be civil and polite to pedestrians and everyone, I don't want to pi$$ off the general public any more than (what I believe) to be a fairly large proportion already. It seems my feelings of 'fairly large proportion' is far more than others believe. That's cool, but not my opinion. Part of it may be the previously mentioned illegality in the UK - you only have to read the comments section on any scooter advert you see in the UK and find that nearly all the posts are totally against scooters, not for them.

• Like 1

@Planemo It is good that your daughter like to ride with you ... special times ... memories! Teach her well so that she remains uninjured to keep wife in that tolerant mood.

You do bring up an interesting point. What do the silent people think? It would be hard to say if your honest friends and family reactions are a representation of the public at large. My thinking is that they (the public) are just unimpressed, busy with their own thoughts, etc. rather than fuming. But I've been wrong about people a lot.

Edited by Scottie

My daughter has not fallen yet, despite many miles on a V5 and Z10, but as we know that first fall is only around the corner, despite how careful we all might be :( I do worry about it often, as we have such fun and if my daughter suffered anything more than a graze or minor bruising her riding days would be over. Of course she wears full gear but again as we know that won't always stop broken bones.

Another true story re peoples feelings on EUC's:

I had a conversation some time back with a lady at work I get on with very well. Now this lady is pretty cool, full of laughs, a real outgoing sort and always smiling. We have always got on really well as a result. It was about the time I had my MSX delivered to work and it got us talking about EUC's. She said to me words almost identical to:

"Oh I saw one of those the other day, in Stratford Olympic Park. The guy riding it was a total f**king idiot, swerving around everywhere. He clearly knew how to ride it, and obviously very skilled, but he looked like he was just showing off and to be honest he just looked really dangerous. It just didn't seem the right place".

At this point, and knowing Stratford really well, I asked her exactly where she saw him. She also knew the area well (she lives nearby) and between us I knew the exact spot where she was talking about. The location as a whole is also the only area in the UK to my knowledge where EUC's are legal. I said to her "isn't that the really wide section, no cars or other vehicles, and rarely any people on the walkway?"

"Yeah that's it" she said.

"Were there any pedestrians nearby?" I asked.

"No, it was really open" she replied.

"So what was the problem?" I asked.

"Well, he was just going fast and swerving around all over the place. He just came across like a know it all show-off really, he appeared risky and dangerous and because of all that he just pi$$ed me off".

Following my prompt, she went on to describe the guy, what he was wearing, what his wheel looked like etc. Without question, this 'f**king idiot' was my primary riding buddy. The guy I ride with just about every time I go out. He's a nice guy, always responds positively to people who acknowledge him on the wheel and is a very skilled rider.

So it goes to show, it's not just old grannies walking around in permanent states of misery who have issues with us. And of course, the lady at work didn't say or gesture anything at the time either, so he was none the wiser... until I told him :)

I could of course say that my lady colleague was in no position to be critical given the circumstances, and tbh that's exactly how I feel. My point being though that here we have another member of the public who even though generally goes about in a very happy state, was extremely annoyed with her first experience of an EUC.

Maybe we should just go everywhere bolt upright at a max of 5mph :ph34r:

I am not in the least bit saying that we will please everyone, I just think that theres more people who have issues with us (and scooters etc) than it may appear. 

Edited by Planemo
  • Like 1

I think we've reached the point where the public is familiar with EUC (I'm lumping both 4-wheeled skateboards and OneWheels together), and that in urban areas they are no longer an unusual sight. Now the suburbs are different, especially since you can't safely ride an EUC outside your local suburban neighborhood without going on an arterial road.

I think EUCs and other electrics (especially scooters) are fading into the background as just part of the urban landscape. EScooters and eBikes especially seem to be bought by people who don't ride for pleasure but for function, and I think EUCs will eventually follow that trend as subsidies which used to go mostly to electric cars are now starting to go to eBikes and other electrics.

Because the Western European trend now seems to be giving every citizen an eBike, that trend will also hit all electrics. If you're wondering why Western European countries do that, it's because the road and health savings greatly exceeds the cost of the eBike.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LanghamP said:

I think we've reached the point where the public is familiar with EUC (I'm lumping both 4-wheeled skateboards and OneWheels together), and that in urban areas they are no longer an unusual sight. Now the suburbs are different, especially since you can't safely ride an EUC outside your local suburban neighborhood without going on an arterial road.

I think the problem with the UK is that it's still far from a usual sight anywhere other than big cities like London. Even in London, although numbers are going up for escooter use, the backlash and comments from the public isn't good by any means. The problem is that the car drivers moan like hell because they don't want them on the roads, and the pedestrians moan like hell because they don't want them on walkways/pathways or even cycle paths because as far as they are concerned, everyone is riding them faster than bikes therefore scooters are more dangerous. And we haven't even started with any other types of PEV. 

1 hour ago, LanghamP said:

Because the Western European trend now seems to be giving every citizen an eBike, that trend will also hit all electrics. If you're wondering why Western European countries do that, it's because the road and health savings greatly exceeds the cost of the eBike.

Again, the UK is backward in this respect. I very much doubt we will get any kind of concession out of the government to assist in buying a PEV, let alone be given one. The only concession we have ever had is the 'Cycle to Work Scheme' which assists with a tax free loan to buy an e-bike, usually with around 25% discount. It's far from a 'gift' by any stretch of the imagination.

The UK is so far behind it's not funny, despite all the 'green' talk going on. No one has the balls to actually implement PEV, largely because of the moaning public, who only care about themselves and their cars.

My family and friends think I'm crazy to ride, they think it's extremely dangerous. I told them people slip on the ice and break bones walking to the mailbox all the time, or step wrong and break an ankle.   Several members of my family ride horses which are insanely dangerous, and motorcycles too, you're much more likely to die on a motorcycle than a EUC. If you avoid everything that could possibly hurt you, you would have a pretty boring life. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Rollbot said:

you're much more likely to die on a motorcycle than a EUC.

I think you're right on the death side, but I think you're also more likely to get injured on an EUC than a motorbike. I rode MC's for 30 years and only got injured a handful of times. If I could ride an EUC for the same length of time with only a handful of injuries I think I would be doing well! Compounding this problem is that a lot of EUC injuries can be pretty serious, if not life changing. Still better than death though I agree...

9 minutes ago, Rollbot said:

If you avoid everything that could possibly hurt you, you would have a pretty boring life. 

Now that is absolutely right!

• Like 1

On 12/10/2020 at 1:30 AM, Tawpie said:

But they mostly accept that this kind of odd behavior isn’t unusual for me, I spent a couple years wandering all over heck’s half acre staring at a phone playing some dorky location based game after all. Got up in the middle of the night and drove cross state for an “operation” in a game that by design, nobody ever wins.

That is indeed pretty odd, even for us weirdo EUC riders... :D still, nowt as strange as folk, and it's not harming anyone (thats what my Mum would say!)

On 12/10/2020 at 1:30 AM, Tawpie said:

She has however, shared videos of me wobbling around and progressing to “pretty comfortable” with a definite note of pride.

I think we need to see these videos... :thumbup:

50 minutes ago, Rollbot said:

Several members of my family ride horses which are insanely dangerous, and motorcycles too, you're much more likely to die on a motorcycle than a EUC.

The public seems to be giving these a 'pass' because they have a legacy. Somebody on the forum said bicycles get a pass for the same reason. They can all be dangerous. But yes, I agree, usually people usually will not get hurt on these ... until they do. I have ridden motorcycles all my life, but recently traded my two wheels for three (Can Am), because I was loosing my nerve at 60 years old.  

10 minutes ago, Scottie said:

The public seems to be giving these a 'pass' because they have a legacy. Somebody on the forum said bicycles get a pass for the same reason. They can all be dangerous. But yes, I agree, usually people usually will not get hurt on these ... until they do. I have ridden motorcycles all my life, but recently traded my two wheels for three (Can Am), because I was loosing my nerve at 60 years old.  

I'm a similar age and have a bit of history with crashing motorcycles so I just changed to slower machines. I initially changed to Scooters (Vespa 200/250) and really enjoyed them for commuting  etc. Currently mostly riding a Royal Enfield Pegasus which I love - no-one expects you to race and I just love chugging along on the thing.

My family have got used to my mad forms of transport. Friends always seem keen to see me turn up on the thing and neighbours usually wave as I pass. So far I haven't had any bad reactions but I try to ride with as much consideration as possible.

• Like 1

On 12/10/2020 at 12:30 PM, Planemo said:

I had to take into account that there HAS to be a large percentage of the public (the ones who don't say anything/give a reaction) who are also either unfussed/find it comical/simply don't like EUC's.

What the non-vocal people are feeling is important for us to consider, absolutely. I hope the percentage of don’t-likers is not large. I suspect that like a horseless carriage in its debut, a garishly lit one wheeled boom box with a ridiculous power ranger in mirrored goggles on board is easy to see as the devil’s work until “we” all get used to it and consider it normal.

Operating our vehicles as responsible adults and behaving in a considerate manner may not be our first instinct when on these things, but I bet it goes a long way in gaining the trust and then support of our detractors. And there are detractors. With law making authority.

It’s not fair to expect everybody will think these things are great, but as with all things: when you find kindred spirits—flock together.

Edited by Tawpie
  • Like 1

I didn't really think about many people just don't say anything but are annoyed. I do slow way down around people but just never gave it a thought.

Any time some says something it's positive, but they also say they wouldn't ride one. Non of my friends will try it but they all think it lookse really fun. 

My family members think it's practical and fun, but the only one that rides with me is my dad who is 69. He's like the most of us. As soon as he saw it he wanted to do it. 

I had never seen an EUC, stumbled on to a video on youtube that happened to be chooch and couldn't understand what I was looking at. Showed it to my wife my friends anyone that would watch thinking they all would immediately go on eWheels and order one too (I didn't get to the end of the video before finding out where to buy one) but they didn't. They thought I was joking about buying one until it showed up. 

I think we sometimes take for granted how easy it is to find other "off center" people who like cool fun things. Pre internet I would have only seen 3 other people in the wild on wheels, and that's in this day and age. Of this was the mid 80s one could ride for years and never see another one. 

I am determined to get one other person to ride though. Is so fun to see that moment where it just clicks and the addiction tales hold. 

Oddly the police where I live are always super interested and most of the time willing to get on check it out. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Flying W said:

Non of my friends will try it but they all think it lookse really fun. 

My family members think it's practical and fun, but the only one that rides with me is my dad who is 69. He's like the most of us. As soon as he saw it he wanted to do it. 

Your family and friends are positive about your EUC riding. I think most people are conservative or conventional. They are not the motorcycle riders, windsurfers, skiers, skydivers, scuba divers, etc. That leaves a small percentage of people that will actually do things, while most others sit back and watch and are entertained (or fussed) by those that do things.

Sounds like there is an interesting story about your 69 year dad. "As soon as he saw it he wanted to do it.":popcorn:  :)

Yes, the internet has been a great way for like-minded "off center" people to find each other, or it just sped up the process. We would have probably learned of EUC's in magazines rather than the dynamic world of YouTube. Maybe, just maybe, a few might have been featured on television shows here and there. I was lucky enough to spot one in the wild.

Edited by Scottie

@Scottie my dad has always been the one doing the fun stuff. He used to let me steer in his lap on mnt roads when I was really little, we mnt biked together before suspension was a thing, we ride motorcycles and up until about 5yrs ago he was still sport bike riding in the canyons. 

The only thing he won't do is sky dive, but I think he'd love that too. 

EUC has kind of taken over for everything. We both love it. I know he could get hurt in the EUC but considering how we like to ride motorcycles I feel like this is the safest hobby we've fallen for in decades. 

PXL_20201126_193111137.jpg

• Like 1