Torque difference between MSP and 18XL

Anyone could give an impression of the torque difference between the MSP and the 18XL?

There has been a lot of raving about how torkey the MSP is, but the 18XL also got a power bump to 2200W motor with wider magnets a few months back.

• Like 1

On 4/26/2020 at 11:57 AM, null said:

Anyone could give an impression of the torque difference between the MSP and the 18XL?

There has been a lot of raving about how torkey the MSP is, but the 18XL also got a power bump to 2200W motor with wider magnets a few months back.

I will let you know!   I have about 3000 miles on my 18XL with the 2200W motor. My MSP (2500w) should arrive in a few weeks.  I consider the 18XL the "perfect" wheel.... Curious how the MSP will stack up.  Was planning on using the MSP for more off road stuff and the 18XL more on-road cruising. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Preston Palmer said:

I will let you know!   I have about 3000 miles on my 18XL with the 2200W motor. My MSP (2500w) should arrive in a few weeks.  I consider the 18XL the "perfect" wheel.... Curious how the MSP will stack up.  Was planning on using the MSP for more off road stuff and the 18XL more on-road cruising. 

Thanks, will be great to get an idea of. The 18XL should be a different beast from befores with fw2 and 2200w motor.

edit: thanks for the suggestion @meepmeepmayer but AFAIK @Marty Backe has the 2000W 18XL and barely used it with FW2.0

Edited by null
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Jediah Matthew said:

Hello, does anyone have a simple method for mesurrong torque on an EUC?

No there isnt. It would require an accurate dyno (and most arent) as well as a jig to mount the wheel in to accurately apply rotational force (lean) in a repeatable and controllable manner.

I have actually thought about doing it myself as I have access to a RotoTest dyno (one of the best in the industry) but one major hurdle is that because it is hub mounted (for accuracy) it prevents the ability to easily mount an euc to it. Possible, but the motor would be have to be sacrificed in order to drill and tap it so it could be bolted to the dyno. And thats even if the motor hub has enough material to do so. A tyre run dyno would be easier but I hate them with a passion in terms of measurement.

• Like 1

On 5/3/2020 at 6:44 PM, null said:

AFAIK @Marty Backe has the 2000W 18XL and barely used it with FW2.0

It's because Marty prefer wider tire and I have to admit that he's right. Even if both wheels will provide similar torque characteristics, wider tire of MSP will use this torque better that more narrower tire of XL. Actually the only thing I miss in my XL is 3" tire.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Wow someone actually threw some EUCs on a dyno.  The problem is conveying how hard it is to lean to reach measured power numbers.  The most powerful wheel was 4.5HP * 746 = ~3350W peak

9 minutes ago, xorbe said:

Wow someone actually threw some EUCs on a dyno.  The problem is conveying how hard it is to lean to reach measured power numbers.  The most powerful wheel was 4.5HP * 746 = ~3350W peak

And this was 2017 - much has changed since then...

• Like 1

On 5/3/2020 at 11:09 AM, Preston Palmer said:

Any updates on this?  I'm looking at picking up an EUC and I'm having trouble deciding between the S18 and the MSP (2500w)  I've ridden the 18XL with the older 2000w motor.  I do love me some torque and speed which the MSP appears to deliver, but that S18 suspension looks awesome as well.  Just curious if the torque difference between the S18 and MSP is worlds apart.

4 hours ago, ChaosMagnum said:

Any updates on this?  I'm looking at picking up an EUC and I'm having trouble deciding between the S18 and the MSP (2500w)  I've ridden the 18XL with the older 2000w motor.  I do love me some torque and speed which the MSP appears to deliver, but that S18 suspension looks awesome as well.  Just curious if the torque difference between the S18 and MSP is worlds apart.

Hard to say just yet.  I have 200 miles on my MSP (2500) so far.  I will hammer on the two of them back to back in July and put a video up for you.  The S18 uses the same motor as the 18XL.  However a smaller battery pack.  

11 hours ago, ChaosMagnum said:

Just curious if the torque difference between the S18 and MSP is worlds apart.

If you mean the impression of torque or effortless acceleration, it will be very close, as it is determined mostly by the tire diameter.

But if you mean the actual faceplant threshold at slow to medium speeds, or the ability to climb 40 degree inclines with a 200lbs rider, I’m pretty sure the MSP is the clear winner.

But all current wheels have an enormous amount of power, and I think the decision between 18XL and MSP should be done by other aspects.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, mrelwood said:

If you mean the impression of torque or effortless acceleration, it will be very close, as it is determined mostly by the tire diameter.

But if you mean the actual faceplant threshold at slow to medium speeds, or the ability to climb 40 degree inclines with a 200lbs rider, I’m pretty sure the MSP is the clear winner.

But all current wheels have an enormous amount of power, and I think the decision between 18XL and MSP should be done by other aspects.

It is very difficult, if not impossible to push the wheels hard enough without custom pads, and running them side by side to tell the difference.  If you want the most torque, the MSP.  If you are looking for an extremely capable commuter that has all the bells and whistles and SUPER comfortable.  The 18XL hands down.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/13/2020 at 6:28 AM, Jediah Matthew said:

Hello, does anyone have a simple method for mesurrong torque on an EUC?

Just do the acceleration test with both wheels. Same rider, same conditions. Kuji manage to do acceleration from 0-50kph with MSP in 2.33 sek. Can you beat that on any other wheel? 

8 hours ago, Rafal said:

Just do the acceleration test with both wheels. Same rider, same conditions.

That doesn't measure the torque though. There is a difference in the effort that each wheel requires for fast acceleration, but it's not a difference of torque. Unless you increase the acceleration until you overlean, only then have you reached and measured the maximum torque.

8 hours ago, Rafal said:

Kuji manage to do acceleration from 0-50kph with MSP in 2.33 sek. Can you beat that on any other wheel? 

I doubt that anyone else could reach even the same acceleration, even with the MSP.