John Eucist

How to ride an electric unicycle - understanding the dynamics

9 hours ago, duckylam said:

I had to jump off when riding because I was about to fall over, but the unicycle righted itself and kept going.  I had to chase after it and knock it over.  This is probably fine in an empty parking lot, but is probably dangerous if there are pedestrians or on the street.  How do you deal with this?  Do you use a tether of some sort?

See also 

• Upvote 1

I'm about to purchase my first EUC. I have about 200 miles on a Boosted Board and 30 miles on a one wheel, so limited board experience with no EUC experience. I've reviewed this entire thread and learned a great deal. 

I do have a question for the more experienced riders - Would it be feasible to use a shopping cart as a training aid? It would seem to provide a relatively stable way to gain some experience and I'd love to hear from anyone who has used a shopping cart when acquiring initial experience. Being able to keep both hands on the cart would seem to be a big help during initial training.

Second question - If using a shopping cart would work, would it be advisable to tether the strap to the cart handle to help keep the wheel from running away and to keep scratches and damage to a minimum?

Thanks for your opinions.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, KeithM said:

I'm about to purchase my first EUC. I have about 200 miles on a Boosted Board and 30 miles on a one wheel, so limited board experience with no EUC experience. I've reviewed this entire thread and learned a great deal. 

I do have a question for the more experienced riders - Would it be feasible to use a shopping cart as a training aid? It would seem to provide a relatively stable way to gain some experience and I'd love to hear from anyone who has used a shopping cart when acquiring initial experience. Being able to keep both hands on the cart would seem to be a big help during initial training.

Second question - If using a shopping cart would work, would it be advisable to tether the strap to the cart handle to help keep the wheel from running away and to keep scratches and damage to a minimum?

I think the shopping cart is a great idea. I know people have used that. Wish I did when I was learning. In lieu of a shopping cart (not sure how you legally get a shopping cart home :mellow:) you might also be able to use your home trash bin if you have the automated collection bin type with wheels.

I'm not a fan of tethers but I know some people use them. I think padding up the wheel is a better way to go, IMO. I certainly wouldn't tether the wheel to the cart, but I can't give you a good reason why. Just seems wrong.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, KeithM said:

I tried both and don't think they helped much. The strap was useless for me; the cart was helpful only for the first 1-2 sessions. Give it a go, but I would recommend trying to ride upright with a friend/family member at your side on short grass that is level and smooth, and then moving to asphalt when you are confident.

• Like 2