Laws for EUC in European countries

ElectriQ User

In Spain:

Speed limitation to 25Km / h.
You can circulate in the city by bike path, and any street with one lane in each direction.
Forbidden to circulate on the city sidewalk, and inter-urban roads.

Edited by Augus
  • Like 3

On 1/16/2021 at 8:26 AM, Rawnei said:

That was a consequence of running a red light not riding an EUC, do the same with your ebike same consequence.

With an eBike, only a 50€ fine, much smaller consequence. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, Paulo Mesquita said:

@Jean Dublin...come to Portugal, baby....:clap3:

I moved to Portugal recently and live here now and have also passed a lot of police.

I do slow way down if i spot them in traffic (as a rider who always ride just under the 80% beeps). But sometimes they like to attempt to follow me without sirens or lights, creepin' on me. When they try that i'm outta sight in a matter of seconds thanks to paths inaccessible to cars :ph34r: they won't even get a chance to sound the sirens or turn the lights on and as long as i'm outta sight before that i'm not breaking the law :cheers:.

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, xiiijojjo said:

I moved to Portugal recently and live here now and have also passed a lot of police.

I do slow way down if i spot them in traffic (as a rider who always ride just under the 80% beeps). But sometimes they like to attempt to follow me without sirens or lights, creepin' on me. When they try that i'm outta sight in a matter of seconds thanks to paths inaccessible to cars :ph34r: they won't even get a chance to sound the sirens or turn the lights on and as long as i'm outta sight before that i'm not breaking the law :cheers:.

where in Portugal are you at @xiiijojjo?

On 3/17/2021 at 12:42 AM, Paulo Mesquita said:

Portugal has come out with a new law but leaves the EUC's in a grey area. It limits the electric scooters, bikes and others, to 0.25w/hour and 25km/hour max speed, on pedestrian/urban/bicycle lanes (mainly in the cities). But no mention to EUC's, either on or off road. I'm riding in the street and I've passed quite a few policemen lately, i say "hi" and they say "hi" and that's all for now. I hope it keeps like that or I'll be having a huge, huge disappointment. It just doesn't make sense that a new non polluting mobility revolution is happening and countries are not allowing and regulating.

...and then I see on portuguese highways with speed limits 120km/h...cars going over 240kms/hour!!!!

Well, if police know about this, mainly if many people start using fast scooters, then if they see you going +25km/h on something that is similar to a eScooter (an EUC is similar enough for them), then they may stop you. 

When they ask you about the top speed and power, then what do you tell them? 

You put a 250w 25km/h sticker on it and say that is it, as lots of people do with fast eBikes? Hoping that they won't Google to check EUC specs?

Edited by Jean Dublin
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Jean Dublin said:

Well, if police know about this, mainly if many people start using fast scooters, then if they see you going +25km/h on something that is similar to a eScooter (an EUC is similar enough for them), then they may stop you. 

You put a 250w 25km/h sticker on it and say that is it, as lots of people do with fast eBikes? Hoping that they won't Google to check EUC specs?

Actually thats a very good idea... 

• 1 month later...
On 3/21/2021 at 7:03 PM, Jean eRide.ie Community said:

And how do I explain the "heavy" motocross protective gear that I wear while riding that harmless 250w Monster Pro xD?

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Nivel said:

And how do I explain the "heavy" motocross protective gear that I wear while riding that harmless 250w Monster Pro xD?

My excuse is that I'm an old fart and that I'm a chicken shit coward, afraid to break any bone even at 5km/hour 😁😁😁😁😁 

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Nivel said:

You just explain that you only have one wheel with a 250w motor that is the only thing keeping you from falling and hurting yourself for over leaning at 20km/h, so you need enough protection, a small helmet won't protect your body from a 20km/h fall/crash :D

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Paulo Mesquita said:

My excuse is that I'm an old fart and that I'm a chicken shit coward, afraid to break any bone even at 5km/hour 😁😁😁😁😁 

Good one, lots of elderly people wear hip protection for the same reason, to not break their hips if they fall to a side while walking. 

Edited by Jean eRide.ie Community
  • Like 2

On 5/9/2021 at 1:18 AM, Nivel said:

Actually the Ryno one wheel motorcycle max speed is 16km/h 10mph and it is bigger than the Monster PRO haha

Edited by Jean eRide.ie Community
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 1/16/2020 at 11:08 AM, DjPanJan said:

Here is Czech republic simplified law:

https://www.cspsd.cz/storage/files/osobni_prepravnik.pdf

use translator language is Czech

I make post about this

Personal container with self-balancing device /Osobní přepravník se samovyvažovacím zařízením

And the super simplified rules are:

1. Ride primarily on the sidewalk, maximum walking speed because you are a pedestrian in the Czech law (on EUC).
2. on the EUC bike path = bicycle
3. You have to/can drive on the left side of the road because you are a pedestrian.
4. You can enter the one-way street because you are a pedestrian.
max speed is "walking speed (not defined by number)" on footpath

25km/h bike path 

50km/h road in city 

When you pass a pedestrian you must not exceed the speed of his walking, not as I see it in a video from some people here passing pedestrians at close range and high speeds. It is against the law and moreover, there is enough aggressive people in the east of Europe who will fight with you also because of trifles and special sort of people are the owners of dogs.
That's why I ride with a 21-inch cast iron telescopic baton. In the last 2 months I have used it three times 2x hit people(both drunk and agresive) 1x hit dog (always self protection). And X times to calm the situation or negotiate respect. Here is not the USA people are not armed with pistols but fists and knives.

Hi there, 

not sure about the rule No 3 above (you have to/can drive on the left side of the road like pedestrians)?

1. Does it mean that the unycicle has to be driven in the wrong direction (against the flow of cars), at walking speed, in road where there is no sidewalk? It looks dangerous.

2. The fact that I "can" drive on the left side means that I can always choose to go instead at higher speed in the right direction, together with the cars, at max 50km/h?

It seems as if in roads you can choose to go together with cars at high speed and in the same direction or, alternatively, go against car flow, at walking speed and keeping the left(?)

Thank you

• Like 1

• 10 months later...
On 1/21/2020 at 12:15 PM, Tazarinho said:

Added Luxemburg :)

Luxemburg needs an update... Max speed is 25 km/h and max power is 250 Watt... 
https://delano.lu/article/delano_highway-code-luxembourg-what-are-rules-micro-mobility
But as far as I could find no active control on these things. So just slow down when not alone on the road :-)

• Upvote 1

On 6/28/2022 at 4:53 PM, Markuss said:

I'm not sure about rules but in Latvia police just laugh or smile Just like in Poland so they don't care

So true.

But if we were to ride with cars.. I think then they would not "laugh or smile". :D

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 11/24/2015 at 1:03 PM, Chanfan said:

Belgium no problems either.  As long as there is no regulation it falls under the category of bikes.  According to police you can ride it on the sidewalk and bike roads. 

For those who it pertains. Small note... Trainstation will ask to step off. And not ride electric. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

In Estonia, the Road Traffic Act has been updated from 2021 to legalise Personal Light Electric Vehicles (PLEVs) including scooters, EUCs, esk8s and everything else, as long as their power is limited to 1 kW and maximum speed to 25 kph. With EUCs and other vehicles with a single wheel axle, the power limitation is void as additional power is used to balance the vehicle, therefore all EUCs are legal as long as their speed is limited to 25 kph. How hard the limit has to be, whether tiltback is acceptable or not, etc is still up in the air, but generally the police has their mind focused on scooter owners right now and isn't harassing EUC riders as much. PLEVs are legal to ride on bike paths, shared paths, and unlike bicycles also on sidewalks, but on the other hand they are only allowed to use the main road if there are no other options.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, superox said:

PLEVs are legal to ride on bike paths, shared paths, and unlike bicycles also on sidewalks, but on the other hand they are only allowed to use the main road if there are no other options.

At least it is legal. I think it is a good first step. And over time, after PLEV's become popular and widely used, and motorists are used to them, the law can changed to switch PLEV's recreational status to personal transportation status so PLEV's are regulated like bicycles.

1 hour ago, superox said:

In Estonia, the Road Traffic Act has been updated from 2021 to legalise Personal Light Electric Vehicles (PLEVs) including scooters, EUCs, esk8s and everything else, as long as their power is limited to 1 kW and maximum speed to 25 kph. With EUCs and other vehicles with a single wheel axle, the power limitation is void as additional power is used to balance the vehicle, therefore all EUCs are legal as long as their speed is limited to 25 kph. How hard the limit has to be, whether tiltback is acceptable or not, etc is still up in the air, but generally the police has their mind focused on scooter owners right now and isn't harassing EUC riders as much. PLEVs are legal to ride on bike paths, shared paths, and unlike bicycles also on sidewalks, but on the other hand they are only allowed to use the main road if there are no other options.

In Latvia we also got Scooter limits at 25 kph. Also there are many, i mean almost every house corner has one rental scooter sitting. Don't really know the laws where/how to ride, as i don't own one. But when i was looking to buy one, i was looking at "bigger/faster" scooters. 25 kph are kinda slow.. I personally would even unlock the 25 kph speed limit. (Some scooters get sold here with 25 kph speed limit..)

My guess is that EUC's also will get the same laws/rules some day.. But i would still ride 30-35 kph speeds. As i have.. (Sure i slow down around people, heck will ride even at walking speeds, if they don't see me coming. But on long empty straight roads - i will go 35-40 kph speeds. Also i see police once/twice a year. I live in smaller city, we don't even have traffic lights, bike lanes, and no scooter rentals - only in bigger cities.)

:D You can't ride regular bike on the same roads/paths where people walk??? Wtf.. We don't even have so stupid law/rule here. :D At least in most smaller cities paths especially near apartments are shared with all - people/scooters/cars/bikes/dogs/cats/mouses/ants/karens. How the heck you get home? Fly?

Heck i have seen 18 wheeler riding the same path where people walk.... (Very, very, very rare...) Guess EUC'S will be safe for long, long while here. :D 

Edited by Funky

20 minutes ago, Funky said:

You can't ride regular bike on the same roads/paths where people walk???

That's the law in Finland as well. It's because of how the cities are built here. Bicycles zooming right in front of shops and other building doors just can't work. Narrow walkways don't even fit bicycles in both directions, so it makes sense that if a cycleway is not present, bicycles ride on the street. There's always a shared or a split cycle-/walkway close to any road outside city centrum.

(Edit: It's a lot about the speed difference I'd imagine. Cycling at 25km/h is six times faster than walking. More than a bicycle vs car on a highway. OTOH, city center speed limit is 40km/h, not even double the regular cycling speed.)

You said you live in a small village, but I assume you still know what "shops" are, right? :P

Edited by mrelwood

23 minutes ago, mrelwood said:

That's the law in Finland as well. It's because of how the cities are built here. Bicycles zooming right in front of shops and other building doors just can't work. Narrow walkways don't even fit bicycles in both directions, so it makes sense that if a cycleway is not present, bicycles ride on the street. There's always a shared or a split cycle-/walkway close to any road outside city centrum.

You said you live in a small village, but I assume you still know what "shops" are, right? :P

Nah wtf is "shops"??? We got stores.

In my city we don't have those "frontal walk in shops" We got 4 biggish food stores ~5 clothing stores. 2 workshop store. ~3 zoo/pet shops. +Some extra stores/shops. Things like that.. Only in big cities as i said.. Check google maps Olaine < my city. Riga/Jelgava < Latvia's two main "big" cities - you will see our roads/paths. :D 

Even in big city most bike lanes are shared with people.. And even then they are rare. No "only" bike lanes. Even in big city center bikes share path with people.

How the heck you get to your apartment/house? You get of the bike lane, street and push it?? :D:D Doubt that. (Some distance there still is, to your house/apartment door..) We here step off the bike right at door entrance.

Yeah i get each country/city is built different. (More or less the same in reality.) :D

Edited by Funky