Affirming That Safety Gear Works

:o ooooh 

The video looked like you hit the floor hard and fast compared to the speed you was going 😬

Glad your ok mate 👍 and thanks for the post and to remind everyone it happens to us all sometime😬😬

Saftey gear did it's job 

Again,,, glad your Ok👍 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

It seems that when you are blindsided (no anticipation) you fall hard and fast - no chance of running it off.

There must be a secret though, as for some reason I seem to have stopped falling in these kind of situations.

A solution: if anticipation helps, one could ride in continuous anticipation, always in the position as if one would hit a rock in the very next second.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Mark Lee said:

To be fair by the time Marty went down it was end of our Day 3 ride.  Our legs were on auto mode.  Most of us sorta had feelings below our knees.  Marty was on Tesla skinny tire, would it made a difference on 3 inch tire?

I don't think the tire makes a decisive difference, but being tired very likely does :rolleyes:

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mono said:

There must be a secret though, as for some reason I seem to have stopped falling in these kind of situations.

A solution: if anticipation helps, one could ride in continuous anticipation, always in the position as if one would hit a rock in the very next second.

Yes, of course that would greatly help. But that's like saying "always live in a state of mindfulness". It's just not possible. The mind wonders.

I'm happy for you that you never fall. Life must be wonderful :D

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Yes, of course that would greatly help. But that's like saying "always live in a state of mindfulness". It's just not possible.

How do you know?

17 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Turns out, life is in particular wonderful in the state of mindfulness :)

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Yes, of course that would greatly help. But that's like saying "always live in a state of mindfulness". It's just not possible. The mind wonders.

But in all seriousness: I am interested in ways to make riding safer by better understanding riding technique and mechanisms that lead to falls. This thread looked like a possible opportunity to widen this understanding. The response leaves me with the impression that you don't really care or don't see any real value in this. That's also fine, I will stay away.

8 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

How to fall or how to avoid rocks is of little practical use IMHO.

RIght, and none of these was or is the point of my interest.

Anyways, my feeling was right:

8 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

I really don't see what's to learn other than to wear protective gear.

• 2 weeks later...
37 minutes ago, giggidditygiggiddity said:

Before I take my first ride of the day, take a moment and kneel to the asphalt still asleep and feel its texture and whisper..."not today..o gawd o holy ev ghost, not today...".

I think I am allergic to asphalt. It always gives me a rash. :D

True story. I have less scares now than when I stared riding an EUC. My last crash kinda removed an old motorcycle scar. The old elbow scar stuck out quite a bit. The new scar is in the same place, smaller and less noticeable. For the record I had a motorcycle jacket on in both crashes. You can get road rash through an undamaged jacket if you try hard enough.  ..... So elbow pads would be a good thing. :whistling:   ...... OK ! .....OK! ... I need to change my name to   "Crash test DUMMY"

Edited by RockyTop
  • Like 3

On 10/30/2019 at 12:15 PM, Mono said:

The universe is just waiting for you to get complacent... AND THEN KABOOM!!! B)

On 10/31/2019 at 1:29 AM, Marty Backe said:

I really don't see what's to learn other than to wear protective gear.

Maybe it was a bad choice of a unicycle for such trails? MSX while not impervious, surely would be better.

15 minutes ago, RockyTop said:

I have less scares now than when I stared riding an EUC.

I have about 4. And I have to apply sunscreen to two of them because they are not hidden behind clothes.
All of them were caused by road rash. :clap3:Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

Edited by atdlzpae
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...