sturdy 16 advise plase?

Seba Barcia

Hi folks! Hoping you help me with a few comments please =) I thinking about buying a v10 or a ks16s. Where i live, and with my budget, there is not much more than those... Hard choice, so i 'll be grateful on any advice... now, range is not much an issue as i will commute short distances every day, lets say less than 10k, trying a funny ride but i guess i wont stress batteries too much with my 155 pounds... About speed, v10 declares a little more. i wonder if this is noticeable. for both i guess you can can set the tilt back closer to the real top speed. is it like this? BUT more important, as i live in a country with no companies support: which one do you think might be more "problem free" over time? if you think one will stand out over the other on this... thanks a lot in advance! greetings and good rides!

• Like 2

As far as I know the KS16S is one of the more reliable wheels, building on the design of its predecessors. (Hence the old school look) The V10 had some battery and broken pedal issues that should be sorted out now.

Id suggest the former for the longer range and nimbleness.

Edited by Mimolette
  • Like 2

ks 16s  is a solid wheel with most of the bugs ironed out.Its a good allround wheel for commuting and offroad. The handle is good for portability .For cruising distances 35kmh is more than a comfortable speed and to do this without face planting you will need to put in time and effort.The only maintenence on my ks 16 was a bit of wd40 on the pedal hinges and about once a week i put the wheel on the compressor to inflate the tyre.Build quality is good but as u r learning,if u want to avoid scratching ur wheel up,get an euc bodyguard from the fat-unicyclist.Most importantly get good safety gear!

• Like 1

The 16s is a great wheel but it looks like the Tesla is really close to the same price, has 200 wh larger battery and higher speed.  I loved my 16s put about 1500 miles on it but I think the Tesla is a better deal.  I think the extra large pedals that king song came out with are the best there are, and the 16s is a great machine, but the Tesla is probably the best deal you can get on a 16 inch wheel.  Ewheels shows the Tesla being $100 more than the 16s.  You can’t go wrong with either of them. 

• Like 2

KS16S is a tank - the shell is durable, the wheel is not too heavy, it's a great all around wheel. I can throw it in the trunk, lift it up by the handle easily. It's much more practical than my Nikola Plus which weighs too damn much to take anywhere where stairs are a thing or to load into a grocery cart or anything like that. I almost regret buying it...

• Like 3

I plan to keep the KS16s in my EUC garage for a long time. it is the only wheel that can do what it does. It is nearly indestructible, has a 840wh battery, can go 22 MPH and handle a 250 rider. It is the only wheel that can do all four.   If The Tesla used the fat V10 tire and could take a beating like the KS16s might sell my KS16s ....... but until then I will stick with the Ks16s

5 hours ago, TDK said:

Inmotion V10 is much more comfortable than the KS 16S. It has a wider tire, bigger pedals and is much more stable.

Yes, this is truly a huge difference. The V10 rests very high on the rider’s leg making it extremely easy to mount and ride on one leg, while the side protrusions on the 16S are very low. This of course translates to much greater nimbleness and less stability on the 16S as it can easily tilt and be tilted between one’s legs. The V10 rides like a big old Mercedes in comparison.

I dislike narrow tires, so I modified my 16S to take a 2.5” tire. It makes it a lot better for me, but the difference to the V10 is still a very large one.

The V10 pedals are also huge, making it much more comfortable to ride. Unfortunately the inner structure of the pedals is lacking, and it is common to develop cracks and have the pedal angles droop on a V10 with time.

2 hours ago, xorbe said:

Is the KS16S tire true to 16", or is it oversized like the KS16X (which is closer to 17.5")?

The KS16s is closer to 16 inches and narrower. The V10 has a bigger, better tire. My problem with the V10 is mechanical quality. The parts are cheaper and weaker. They exaggerate it’s abilities twice as much as other manufacturers do. ( They all exaggerate. InMotion much more than others.) At the very least they are not good for people over 150 pounds. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, RockyTop said:

The KS16s is closer to 16 inches and narrower. The V10 has a bigger, better tire. My problem with the V10 is mechanical quality. The parts are cheaper and weaker. They exaggerate it’s abilities twice as much as other manufacturers do. ( They all exaggerate. InMotion much more than others.) At the very least they are not good for people over 150 pounds. 

Congrats on your 1000th post! FMu2PYt.gif

Since you're mentioning Inmotion, can I ask you about the 16" V8 too?  No real performance/distance requirements, just a possible unnecessary blingy acquisition.  Will it adequately haul 155 lbs total up a single paved pedestrian foot bridge with at least 6-8 mph?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, xorbe said:

Congrats on your 1000th post! FMu2PYt.gif

Since you're mentioning Inmotion, can I ask you about the 16" V8 too?  No real performance/distance requirements, just a possible unnecessary blingy acquisition.  Will it adequately haul 155 lbs total up a single paved pedestrian foot bridge with at least 6-8 mph?

Thanks, I have a better opinion of the V8. The V8 “was” a tough wheel for it’s time. I know many 120 pound people that abused them to no end and they just kept going. I am sure that it can do what you are asking and then some. ( That is as long as the new wheels are as quality as the old ones. ) Still not a good wheel for larger people. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/27/2019 at 2:51 PM, Seba Barcia said:

Folks, I want to say a big Thank you to you all for giving me so good info about the wheels!! the choice is just between those two because I live in Uruguay... you can buy nothing here other than the airwheel x8 I got a few weeks ago... So I am learning already to ride an electric unicycle, but after the first ride i was already begging for a little more speed.... An overseas buy would be extremely expensive here as taxes almost duplicates the wheel price. And there are no stores in argentina, so i think ill buy it in brazil, where i can find just a couple of stores, selling those two brands. Special thanks to those speaking about personal safety. i have plenty of protective gear as i'm already a "rider" with other toys... regular stilts and unicycles, powerisers, vurtego pogo stick... and I also play ultimate frisbee, even being 47 yo, so i'm accustomed to fly, fall, roll and even scrapes hahah... Right now i think the ks is a better deal for me, as i guess is more robust ...and it will be hard to me to eventually troubleshoot things on the wheel right here, "alone"... Repeating, THANK YOU ALL! and good rides!

Classic-Xtrm-Ride =)

Hola Seba! estás en Mdeo? me gustaría juntar a los wheelers de aqui y empezar a movernos, adquiri hace algunos meses un Gotway msuper, @windowsplit en insta, un abrazo!

If your roads are very smooth and clean then a tesla/16s will be nearly as comfortable. If you want more comfort the width of the v10 tire will come in handy. Imagine riding a road bicycle with thin tires on a gravel road. It doesn't inspire confidence and is super uncomfortable, and dangerous.

I would suggest the In Motion V10. It can take a beating, it is super comfortable to ride, has a functional trolley handle, comes with a warranty and it is the cheapest of the bunch. It is a great first wheel and can tackle most terrain you throw at it. I have ridden all 3 models and I firmly believe the V10 is the best all around wheel out of the group. 

• Like 2