Which Wheel? Undecided After Testing

PY ⠀

Hi,

I’ve read extensively about the wheels and tried a couple of them thanks to a local shop. I still can’t makeup my mind as to what to buy. I have a good budget and was eyeing the ks16x and Nikola. This would be my first wheel. I tried the IM V8 for 3 days, then for 30 min each: v10, ks16s, 16x, 18xl. 

I liked all of them but lack experience to pinpoint what I like in terms of riding. So Im wondering if I should just buy an expensive one (16x) and potentially miss out on something that I would’ve prefer (Nikola although I didnt test it)? Or should I try the Nikola first to test if I prefer it? Or should I buy a cheaper wheel to get used to it and figure out my style, then upgrade it next season?

I was almost certain I was gonna buy the 16x after testing it, but I didnt fact that the wheel wants to stay upright in curves. I wonder if changing the tire would change that. I will use my wheel for commutes and off roading. Thanks for your advices!

As a fellow beginner It would be really nice to hear what felt about each wheel. Like you I've read or watched all the reviews but they're always from very experienced riders, it wood be interesting to hear what a less experienced rider makes of all these different options. How far is your commute by the way? and are you having to lug it up stairs etc? Must admit I'm really impressed by the amount of testing you were allowed! 

• Like 1

If you want the wheel for commuting AND off road, then I think there is a giant hole in your list of wheels. Nothing smooths out the larger bumps better than a bigger tire and I think you should seriously consider 18"+. I'm like you and I'm looking for an upgrade wheel that is going to last me. Last weekend I rode the KS18XL, Nikola+ 100v, and the MSX 100v. Here are my thoughts:

The Nikola+ has excellent torque and very good speed. But riding it feels squirrelly and unstable compared to an 18"+ wheel. It's also weighs a lot for a 16" wheel and it's top heavy to boot.  It over heats compared to other Wheels because of the reduced thermostat setting that Gotway designed it with. Flashing lights and speakers do nothing for me, so due to the higher price and other negatives, this is not the wheel for me.

The KS18XL is a very nice ride. Very stable due to that 18 inches, a relatively slim wheel that looks and feels good aesthetically. The trolley is also a plus. But the speed and battery limitations along with the overly controlling software are negatives in my book. It also doesn't have the larger battery options (range/speed) that Gotway wheels provide.

MSX 100v is a tank of a 19" wheel. It's been around for a relatively long time compared to the other two. But riding it is ROCK steady. If you're going to do any kind of off road riding, I think it's the one to get. The pedal dihedral angle didn't bother me at all. The maneuverability was great. On a par with the other two in my book. Just a solid wheel that has some really amazing distance and power options.

Frankly, these are all great wheels and it's hard making a decision between such good options. In the end, you have to put your money down on something. I put mine on the MSX 100v. I'll let you know how it goes once I get it.

:popcorn:

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BarrettJ said:

Do you know someone(s) with all those wheels or is there a place in Montreal that you can try them?

Theres a shop there called Noaio and they were nice enough to let my try their demo/test wheels. I rented the v8 for 3 days as i wasnt sure if getting a EUC or OW back then.

8 hours ago, mike_bike_kite said:

As a fellow beginner It would be really nice to hear what felt about each wheel. Like you I've read or watched all the reviews but they're always from very experienced riders, it wood be interesting to hear what a less experienced rider makes of all these different options. How far is your commute by the way? and are you having to lug it up stairs etc? Must admit I'm really impressed by the amount of testing you were allowed! 

Yeah I met some nice guys who were kind enough. My commute is basically from my house to the train (1km) and from train to office (1km). That includes a total of 20 stairs or so (im in good shape, no issues with lifting 50 pounds). So my impressions:

v8: first wheel i tried and tested for longer. Absolutely loved the form factor: light, small, easy to carry, easy to store under my desk. I felt comfortable, and had very limited wobbles decelerating despite my lack of experience. Solid wheel, but i felt its limit on the first day maxing at 30kmh, where I was curious about going 35kmh. Most probably would get bored fast (i raced motorcycles before)

v10: similar feeling to v8, just wider arcs while riding and power feels more like it goes where your mind wants to go. Like the narrowness.

ks18xl: felt similar to v10 but better ride, just smoother and feels more planted. Less nimble but loved it

ks16x: felt very very nimble, almost too much. Had to adjust here. Lots of power and sometimes goes faster than my minded was aiming for. Got close to falling, my only time. The wheel wants to stay upright, so carving is really not that fun. The wheel is wide and very heavy, i felt having it in the train would be more of a pain than a v8 but still manageable. It didnt feel as natural as a v10. The pedals are great and my feet were super comfy, and i felt thats the wheel i could do the longest ride with.

ks16s: nice little wheel, very nimble and you get a very different feel where the wheel feels much smaller. The pads rest super low on your shins, so you have less control. Hardest wheel to get a good start with. Pedals are weird and not comfy. Power is nice for a small size compared to v8. If the price was on par with a v8 and pedals/pads were adjusted this would be a killer choice and probably my pick as a first wheel.

• Like 2

I have tried almost every wheel and have a sizable collection.  My personal favorite would be a tie between the Nik+ 100v or the MSX 100v (specially the new 1845h wh version).  Which one of those I prefer more will depend on what I'm doing.  

Isn't there a large pedal option for the ks16s? I think they're the pedals from the ks18xl. I'd assume you have to buy them extra (adding to the cost) but it might be worth either discussing with a dealer or alternatively buy the 16s used with the large pedals already fitted. Shame you couldn't of tried the mten3 or a used ips i5 - they'd be brilliant for your commute but probably wouldn't appeal from a racing perspective :)

4 hours ago, photorph said:

I have tried almost every wheel and have a sizable collection.  My personal favorite would be a tie between the Nik+ 100v or the MSX 100v (specially the new 1845h wh version).  Which one of those I prefer more will depend on what I'm doing.  

Can you elaborate on which conditions/usage you prefer the MSX to the Nikola?

It seems that the 1845Wh 100V MSX is now available from the factory equipped with Nikola pedals and a reasonable dihedral angle. I think that makes it a much more appealing option next to the newer wheels. The MSX is still the beast, and if it’s shortcomings (less comfort, trolley handle, bad traction in wet conditions) sound reasonable, it’s a solid choice. I love mine after several big modifications.

But for 2km commuting and public transportation, I wouldn’t consider any of the mentioned top wheels. Although, unless the total journey is a lot over 30km, I would buy a proper 18” travel wheel, skip the public transport and ride the whole way!

• Like 2

60km back and forth daily ?
Get a Monster instead with a seat for it...

Otherwise I recommend to look for an smaller wheel for last miles of your daily commute.

Edited by Meserias

9 hours ago, PY ⠀ said:

Can you elaborate on which conditions/usage you prefer the MSX to the Nikola?

MSX has larger tire and higher pedal clearance, would prefer it for trails and roads with bumps/potholes.  On smoother pavement and city commuting, would take nikola +. 

12 hours ago, Tazarinho said:

I initially bought my V8 for last mile commuting. On the third day I decided to try doing the whole 18-20 km (depending on the route) on my wheel, and I haven't looked back since. Although I have to admit I've been eyeing more powerful wheels, mainly for safety and range. :) Commute is about 60% off-road, 10% cobblestones and brick roads, and the rest is regular blacktop. I only mind the limited speed of the V8 on the latter. Especially as it's autumn now, I don't drive as fast on the off-road with wet leaves and mud.

Despite the limited speed on the V8, my commute time is lower than when taking the bus and most days I'd also be slower taking the car. And it's just so much fun! I love the feeling of gliding and carving through the fields and forests so much, while enjoying seeing squirrels, pheasants and kingfishers on the way.

The v8 max speed is conservatively set. I unlocked to 33km/h (with a max 32 on the road, don't ask me why) and I've had zero problems. I'm hitting the tilt back pretty hard too. I'm 65kg.

I like that with the wheel unlocked I don't get limited to like 25km/h anymore. It seems to stay around 30km/h for most of the battery charge.

I don't recommend unlocking if you're heavy or accelerating like a mad man. I'm talking about sustained flat road speed.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Rafal said:

GW Tesla is light, nimble, fast wheel. Don't cost a fortune and it is relible. Have nice acceleration. For sure better choice than v8, v10 and KS16s. 

I'm tempted by the tesla. It's the only wheel I see as a reasonable upgrade from the V8. 16S is not different enough. 16x/18x/nikola are too heavy.

I would buy the tesla if they could release a light version that is rugged and solid. I don't want to be afraid of it cutting out when it's raining, from a crap shell that has crack somewhere leaking in water.

I've seen some scary battery builds too that I think came from gotway. Like only one 6mm nickel strip to connect two cell groups. The thing gets so hot that it melts through the shrinkwrap.

Edited by alcatraz

Get a KS16X man....
It's the best of both worlds

if you will be careful with it will last way longer that you expect to

When to get it ?
Next year at the beginning
let KS to solve these build problems to become a mature product and well tested.

Edited by Meserias
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, alcatraz said:

The v8 max speed is conservatively set. I unlocked to 33km/h (with a max 32 on the road, don't ask me why) and I've had zero problems. I'm hitting the tilt back pretty hard too. I'm 65kg.

I'm 90kg and usually carry a 10kg backpack, so I kept the conservative speed limit in order to have a little power to spare. I reckon I'm already pushing the limits enough as it is ;)

• Like 2

On 10/23/2019 at 10:52 PM, PY ⠀ said:

Hi,

I’ve read extensively about the wheels and tried a couple of them thanks to a local shop. I still can’t makeup my mind as to what to buy. I have a good budget and was eyeing the ks16x and Nikola. This would be my first wheel. I tried the IM V8 for 3 days, then for 30 min each: v10, ks16s, 16x, 18xl. 

I liked all of them but lack experience to pinpoint what I like in terms of riding. So Im wondering if I should just buy an expensive one (16x) and potentially miss out on something that I would’ve prefer (Nikola although I didnt test it)? Or should I try the Nikola first to test if I prefer it? Or should I buy a cheaper wheel to get used to it and figure out my style, then upgrade it next season?

I was almost certain I was gonna buy the 16x after testing it, but I didnt fact that the wheel wants to stay upright in curves. I wonder if changing the tire would change that. I will use my wheel for commutes and off roading. Thanks for your advices!

Sounds like the 16X you tried came with the CX tyre. That tyre wants to stay perpendicular to everything. 16X rides different from other wheels, Tesla being the most different and 18XL being the most similar. The 16X wanting to stay upright is defeatable with practice. It just requires relearning a bit.

I can ride on the 16X and barely touch the sides. It gives me a nice free feeling of only my feet as contact points instead of four contact points on the MSX.

The Nikola feels more constrained and boxy than the 16X and requires more intent to get up to speed.
The MSX is even harder.

Could you define off roading a bit?

I do some off roading here.
16X and MSX are different experiences. I have also done technically difficult paths with an 18XL rider who has one third of my riding experience and he was able to keep up with me no problem while I was on my MSX.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, alcatraz said:

I would buy the tesla if they could release a light version that is rugged and solid. I don't want to be afraid of it cutting out when it's raining, from a crap shell that has crack somewhere leaking in water.

GW is those days are most reliable wheels. Tesla is like submarine. Can drive not only in heavy rain but also in deep water. You can see promo videofrom GW, Marty video and U-Stride video for reference. I have over 6000km on Tesla and still working very well. Many times drive in the rain, plash, snow, ice. All conditions all year long. No issues. 

• Like 1

I have been riding for a little over 2 months so still considered a beginner. I will say this, I learned pretty quickly and outgrow my 1st wheel in 2 weeks. I started with the 16S with large pedals. I found myself riding a few bike trails, and commuting to work frequently where 21-22mph wasn't cutting it. So I upgraded to the 16X. Night and day. I feel more comfortable and confident riding this vs the 16s which was very nimble. I ride at 26-27mph comfortably, I have 5 mile commute to work both ways and 16X is perfect for me. My only other option would have been the Nikola.

• Like 3

@Mike Sacristan

Hey man, thanks for your input. Watched a lot of your videos and you got great content :thumbup:

On 10/25/2019 at 7:07 AM, Mike Sacristan said:

16X rides different from other wheels, Tesla being the most different and 18XL being the most similar

What do you mean? The Tesla is an option for me so just wondering what you mean here.

The Nikola feels more constrained and boxy than the 16X

Wow really? One thing I didnt like about the 16x is how wide it is compared to the v8 (not same category but still). So the 16x will fall smaller between my legs than the Nikola?

Could you define off roading a bit?

Well the same as you do in the first video once in a while on weekends, but also light trails with no pavement but no rocks/roots either. So really a good mix. I dont think i would do enough off road to justify having very high torque and highest pedal if its a compromise for general ride feel and portability. 

Im still very very undecided and I live in canada so i wish i could enjoy the rest of fall to ride but i cant make a decision as I want to make the right choice... So tough.

My ideal wheel would be a v8 size with Tesla performance. Havent ridden the Tesla though