My amazing stabilisers!

AlexEssex

Hi All,

After struggling to stabilise on my E+ and getting very frustrated, I knew I needed a way around this other than everything thats been thought of and mentioned so far. Still I was struggling. So I had a crazy brain wave, and its soo daft but works so well. So here it is 'The Bubble Wrap and Tape Method' So simple and I have gone by far the furthest I have ever gone and my confidence is 1000% more than before.

I just rolled a load of bubble wrap up into a roll and taped around it using pretty much a whole roll of tape, and taped the roll to each paddle of my wheel. If its too thick, simply get a sharp instrument and prick it to the desired thickness (as air escapes).

As you get more confident, just prick it more and eventually the bubble wrap rolla are nothing more than flat air bags and you can just pull them off.

The idea is just soo ridiculous, but it really does work!

So anyone struggling, try it, you may look a right weirdo but you will be amazed!

just keep adding more tape if needed. I got 100m of tape for £1! Bargain!

It works and i'm amazed quite frankly!

Alex

31629FA3-756C-4153-A24D-B524FF2203CD.jpeg

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, LanghamP said:

There was a very similar idea using big scrubbing brushes.

Yeah I knew about that one, but there was a little too much DIY involved, my way is just like puncturing an air bag very slowly until nothing left haha!

If it works, it works:) Still not entirely sure why you have (had?) such problems learning, something must be going on. Have you ever met another rider and tried another wheel (or they yours)?

You mind if I move this to General Discussion? It's clearly about electric unicycles.

Yeah sorry, move as you wish.

I dont know any EUC riders nor had a go on any other EUC but my way has helped tremendously, as ridiculous as it may seem, it works and has increased my enthusiasm and now I cant wait to get back on! Thought I would share as I know you guys like anything out the ordinary lol!

• Like 1

For the first time in my life I have experienced the sensation where you have to really twist your hips to turn tight corners, and really lean forward to go up steep hills etc, only something Im learning now! Anyway, will let you know how I progress!

Edited by AlexEssex
Typo
  • Like 1

Glad to read that you are making progress. Definitely a new approach to learning! 

Assuming you weigh 90kg or less, I would suggest you reduce your tyre pressure to 38-45lbs as that will improve your sense of lateral stability while learning.

Once you have mastered the basics, you can increase pressure to 50-55lbs for better performance.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Wonderwebb said:

Dont go to fast like that ! Pedal is sure to catch something soober or later 

I’m not so sure if this is a good method from any aspect. Looks like those pillows would take away the possibility to properly steer the wheel, which is the way one is supposed to seek for one’s balance while riding. And since they will cause friction when touching ground, you really can’t even take up any speed, which is another requirement to be able to stay on the wheel.

I have a strong feeling that there might be one or more crucial and rudimentary things missing in your learning. If you don’t know or haven’t seen any local riders, maybe consider spending some more time on Youtube, as there are lots of videos made just to help people in the situation you’re in.

Edit: Using a strap is another bad one, since it prevents most of one’s upper body motion. Moving the center of balance about and throwing one’s hands in the air is crucial in the beginning stage.

Edited by mrelwood

2 hours ago, AlexEssex said:

As it stands, I dont need them on at all, as I have the confidence now and a little more skill and control on the wheel now. It was a mad idea completely out the norm that got me going, so this idea was a god send!

Brilliant, especially the progressive deflation!

It would have handicapped me but as long as it works to get you over the hard part :) Cool you got to get the feel of it.

My father is insisting on learning with poles, which is IMO a terrible idea. Had it only been his bodily integrity he put on risk, but it is also my 18xl 😭

On 10/20/2019 at 11:28 AM, mrelwood said:

Edit: Using a strap is another bad one, since it prevents most of one’s upper body motion. Moving the center of balance about and throwing one’s hands in the air is crucial in the beginning stage.

Don't agree :) 

I learned with a strap. It avoided a lot of bad spills of the wheel. It helps you to ride normally, and not ride in the "Crucifixed Jesus" pose :D .

Just make sure it's long enough so you do not use it to keep the wheel up right.

When training backwards riding I still use one.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Best mindset for learning is: 'everytime i get on its going to end with a crash, and pain, so prepare yourself' and when you get to a point when that doesnt happen:

1) Your learning

2) You have made progress

3)It get easier

Just wished I was wearing the 'Yes I know How It Looks' T-Shirt and some L Plates

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah they look very dodgy indeed. But eventually they wear to nothing but airless excess baggage with nothing in them. The good thing is, the more you ride with them, the more you wear them down, the more you wear them down the more you have to stabilise yourself and really learn to balance. To be honest I think it’s mind over matter, just knowing somethings there is a little comfort for the confidence.

• 2 weeks later...