Budget Minded - Full Face Open vs. Modular Closed Helmet Recommendations

I'm upgrading my EUC to a 30+ mph model soon. I also need to upgrade my current cheap-o bike helmet to something that will protect my face. Not that I have a modeling career, but I'd simply prefer to not have my jaw wired shut due to a face plant at 20-30 mph. So, in the interest of safety, I'm planning on getting fully geared up.

Unlike some of you that are able to drop $300+ on a sweet, glossy, carbon fiber brain bucket, I'm looking for something to get started keeping a budget in mind, but still being safe (read value here). After reviewing existing threads on this, I haven't found the information I'm looking for.

I'm interested in paved trail riding with some off road. I'm not sure if the open face (downhill mountain bike style) or the modular fully enclosed helmet (motorcycle with flip up front) would be better. Here are a couple options I'm looking at that would be an improvement over the basic bike helmet I have now. Since I live in Southern California, rain and cold are not really an issue. The ability to stay cool with good airflow is more important.

Bell Servo Adult BMX Helmet

1Storm Motorcycle Modular Helmet

71dXXz0hknL._SL1500_.jpg
41IHx-6ZslL.jpg

Pros - Light weight, can easily talk to other riders, pedestrians, etc. Visor, (52) 4 star rating on Amazon,  easier to mount rear view mirror.

Cons - Only CPSC bike compliant, would need to wear sunglasses or googles for higher speeds, noise

Pros - Quieter, built in optional shaded visor, ability to lift front to talk to other riders when stopped, DOT Approved (safer), (804) 4.5 star rating on Amazon.

Cons - Heavier, not as easy to engage with others, maybe harder to mount the mirror (?).

$55.29 on Amazon

$58.95 on Amazon

If the bike helmet looks too cheap, I also looked at the Bell Sanction Helmet. 

It seems like many EUC riders like @Flyboy10 use the BMX style open full face helmet. However, other riders like @Marty Backe go with the full motorcycle helmet. I'd really love to hear about the pros and cons from actual riding with the various options and I'm interested in helmets that can be purchased right now on Amazon rather than a special one that is available in Europe only.

Thanks in advance for any comments or suggestions you have. I really value all the experience and positive support this group provides.

for me the modular style motorcycle helmets are the heaviest and for me unwieldy, close to 4lbs.  I went with a tsg pass, you can get them on the internet for little over $100.  it is full face and light, about 2.2lbs.  if that is still too expensive for you, i would choose the light open face helmet over the heavy modular helmet

I looked up that helmet because I saw others talking about it. Here is what I found: https://www.amazon.com/TSG-Solid-Color-Helmet-Skateboard/dp/B002UQ99JA/

It looks like about $260 to me. If you have a link to buy it for $100 please reply with it. I'm finding nothing in that price range. 

With that being said, why do you prefer the full helmet vs the BMX style? Can you mount a mirror to it? How about air flow?

12 minutes ago, ZenRyder said:

I looked up that helmet because I saw others talking about it. Here is what I found: https://www.amazon.com/TSG-Solid-Color-Helmet-Skateboard/dp/B002UQ99JA/

It looks like about $260 to me. If you have a link to buy it for $100 please reply with it. I'm finding nothing in that price range. 

With that being said, why do you prefer the full helmet vs the BMX style? Can you mount a mirror to it? How about air flow?

Bug Eyes is supposed to be able to mount to a motorcycle helmet. I have not found that to be the case without something like crazy glue. 

Note - If you order Bug Eyes and don't get your shipment within a week, let me know and I'll give you the name of the seller. PayPal didn't inform them that I bought the item and they never sent it until I inquired directly. But this is not a recommendation as I have yet to get them to work with my helmet.

• Like 1

I have a Bell Super 3R that I initially bought before moving over to a Fox ProFrame.  I'm in NorCal, so my weather is similar, albeit slightly cooler.  I primarily chose the 3R because of venting.  I wanted something that was airy enough for those warm summer days.  In the winter, I just end up using a Balaclava underneath to keep my face warm.   I also decided on the 3R thinking that I might remove the chin guard on occasion.  However, I never ended up removing it ever.

The Fox ProFrame helmet I got is DH certified which gives me confidence in protecting me when I use my DT scooter or my EUC.  With DH speeds going over what current EUCs are capable, I feel like they should work well for our application. Also, I like that they are a lot lighter and I feel my visibility is better.  I used to ride motorcycles, so I definitely know what it's like to use one.

Keep a look out for deals on Helmets.  I ended up getting my Super 3R for $115 via Amazon Prime.  Sometimes they will have really good deals on out of season colors, even though the model is the same.  It's the same for the Fox ProFrame that I ended up getting. I paid $170 since they were transitioning to new colorways. 

Edited by EvoKnvl
Correction on DH certification

Although I love my open face light weight helmet, I am in the market for a cheap TSG pass type helmet for the winter/high speed riding. I agree with Eddie that the modular motorcycle helmets are too heavy and I think they are excessive. Downhill longboarding is the closest sport to what we do so I'm looking at gear for that sport. Don't expect to see me sporting the latex body suit anytime soon though 😉

Edited by Flyboy10

I bought that 1Storm modular helmet as my first helmet ever because it looks so perfect on paper:

1. DOT Approved
  2. Built in shaded visor
  3. Can lift up chin guard for more air
  4. Looks cool

But when I got it it's the worse thing ever..

1. Super super heavy!
  2. It's so big! Unless you are wearing full moto tracksuit, your head will looks like dem grey aliens.
  3. Even when I lift the chin guard there's still no air flow to the back of my head.

After that I bought the Bell 3R and no looking back.

• Like 3

Thanks so much. That's why I'm asking here. Sometimes what looks great in the shopping cart winds up being a real bummer. 

Considering all this advice, it sounds like I should be looking for a non-modular full face like the TSG Pass. 

So far I'm seeing this Scorpion EXO-R320 for $99. Looks like it's only 2.2 lbs. Less than half the price of the TSG. 

Anyone have any experience with this helmet or have a better value option?

I'm using o'neal fury rl. It's DH certified.

Light and cheap-(ish). Magnetic fidlock system is very convenient and it has a peak to mount mirror (and dedicated gopro mount if you are into that)

35 minutes ago, cdoe said:

I'm using o'neal fury rl. It's DH certified.

Light and cheap-(ish). Magnetic fidlock system is very convenient and it has a peak to mount mirror (and dedicated gopro mount if you are into that)

Looks like a nice open face downhill mountain bike style helmet for a good price (about $107 on Amazon). Thanks for the recommendation. 

I have used :

White water helmets - full back of head protection - ( never fits right and Velcro pulls out my hair. )

Skateboard helmets - Good back of head protection - ( never fits right and pulls out my hair)

Glider helmets - light weight with face protection --( great but not cheap)

BMX helmets - cheap light weight face protection - ( Cheap is the key word )

Yet I like my DOT motorcycle skull cap best for slow rides and my Dirt bike helmet for fast rides and off road. Sure they are a little heavier but they are also more comfortable with much more protection.  I am not convinced that most bicycle helmets do anything at all 

1 minute ago, RoadRunner said:

@ZenRyder 

How about this one.

Great point. I found that one too, but it looks like it's manufactured in India costs $95 with shipping on Amazon and will take a while to ship from international source. But it does look like a great full face enclosed option which is lightweight and for a good price.

https://smile.amazon.com/ILM-Motorcycle-Modular-Helmet-Colors/dp/B01LXAOQ4Q/ref=sr_1_5?crid=WZPGPMBF1425&keywords=ilm+helmet+motorcycle&qid=1570984200&sprefix=ilm+h%2Caps%2C268&sr=8-5

This is my current and favorite helmet, great price comfortable, and because it is modular, it is easier to put on and off.  I also like using my bone conduction headphones with it, works great!

59 minutes ago, John Walden said:

https://smile.amazon.com/ILM-Motorcycle-Modular-Helmet-Colors/dp/B01LXAOQ4Q/ref=sr_1_5?crid=WZPGPMBF1425&keywords=ilm+helmet+motorcycle&qid=1570984200&sprefix=ilm+h%2Caps%2C268&sr=8-5

This is my current and favorite helmet, great price comfortable, and because it is modular, it is easier to put on and off.  I also like using my bone conduction headphones with it, works great!

It's good to know that you recommend that helmet. Some people have complained that modular helmets in general are too heavy and this one comes in at 4.6 lbs. So it sounds like if you want enclosed comfort and don't mind addition weight, then this may be a good option. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ZenRyder said:

Some people have complained that modular helmets in general are too heavy and this one comes in at 4.6 lbs.

Much lighter than a coffin, and cheaper than dental implants.

If you ride in traffic at traffic speeds, go full face DOT or or ECE 22.05. Otherwise look for ASTM-F1952. TSG Pass has this certification but not Steelbird or New Olders.

• Like 2

Good point @who_the on the certifications for each helmet.

I also researched some glider helmets. It's true, they are not cheap, but usually made of carbon-fiber and have amazing visibility. Some of these helmets are often promoted for use with longboarding, paragliding, and hang gliding. I especially liked this model:

Charly No Limit - $339

charly-no-limit-carbon-optik-a10758_600x600.jpgcarbon-helmet.jpg?v=1523508172charly-no-limit-carbon.jpg

Looks nice, right? I even put an offer on a used one for a pretty good price on eBay. But then I saw a pictures of guys actually wearing it...

5230463799_0d4028ff1e_b.jpg2-img_1247.jpg

..and I thought, maybe the face it a little too open to be protected in a crash. Is is possible that a helmet made to protect you from a crash from 5,000 feet won't keep you from grinding your nose on pavement with a unicycle face plant? I don't know...

1 hour ago, who_the said:

Much lighter than a coffin, and cheaper than dental implants.

If you ride in traffic at traffic speeds, go full face DOT or or ECE 22.05. Otherwise look for ASTM-F1952. TSG Pass has this certification but not Steelbird or New Olders.

Don't forget about Snell ratings.  They are much more stringent than DOT.  They also tend to cost more, but you can replace your helmet, you can't replace your brain.

1 hour ago, neurokinetik said:

Don't forget about Snell ratings. 

For sure, Snell-rated helmets are top dog but 1) they won't certify modulars and 2) may be overkill for the ~30-40 mph speeds we're at now. But at highway speeds, 45 mph+, you betcha.

• 1 month later...

Fox proframe excellent helmet but one of the cons is when you start getting up in speed, the wind noise cuts out your audible  alarms.Full face helmets mean u also have to twist more from the waist and legs to see whats behind you.