When do you change tires?

Michael D

I wouldn't think that a slipping tire is a good indicator for wear, in particular if it still looks fine. I wear my tires down until they look like slicks or I change them when I have to repair a flat anyway. I haven't had last any tire 5000 km though, they are usually done before.

I change tires on all my vehicles at around 40% wear. I've cheaped out on tires before, and the resulting crash was expensive enough to convince me to change earlier.

A new tire is wonderfully grippy and flexible. Life is too short to tiptoe on bald tires.

Depends so much on usage, and which tire the wheel came with. I did manage to fight it to 5000km on the MSX original, besides being a bad fit for my off-road heavy usage.

If your tire has slipped, it is not necessarily worn, but might also be a bad fit for your needs. Which tire is it, and what kind of usage?

17 hours ago, mrelwood said:

Which tire is it, and what kind of usage?

Original from Kingsong 18xl. I usually go on long and relatively fast (>40 km/h) rides on asphalt. It's probably time to change tire, but I was curious how others was thinking about this.

7 minutes ago, Darrell Wesh said:

Doesn’t a worn EUC tire have more traction on the streets? Just sucks in wet and off road 

It doesn't feel that way. It feels more slippery now on wet asphalt but it is maybe more in my head?

Wow, that’s impressive.  My 16s tire was almost totally bald after 1400 miles, I did practice a lot of tricks on it which I’m sure doesn’t help.   The 18l I have now is doing much better but I don’t see it going anywhere near those distances.  But I hope it does.  I was thinking the tire was the most expensive operational cost but if you get that kind of distance out of one then that changes everything. 

On 10/13/2019 at 5:18 AM, Eddie G. said:

whats a good tyre replacement for the msx I'm looking to get a more meaty one

The ChaoYang H-666 on an MSX is the best riding tire I’ve had on any wheel, but the side protrusions reach wide enough to scrape the shell quite easily despite the 18x3.0 size designation. I ended up trimming the sides a bit. IIRC my reviews are in the ”MSX mods, share what you’ve done” thread.

If the CST C-1488 can be found as a 18x3.0, it would also be a great one.

If you want an all-in offroad tire, go for the CST C-186. Minor shell trimming with a sandpaper might be required. This tire doesn’t care even about wet mud! Review on the way.

Edit: CST C-186 tire review available here:

Edited by mrelwood
  • Like 1