KS16X production has started

US69

41 minutes ago, erk1024 said:

What kind of mosfets does KS use anyway? Why is there no mosfet talk in the KS forums?

One mosfet, two mosfet, three mosfet blew

My mosfet, his mosfet, your mosfet glue?

(insomnia is making me punchy!)

someone will correct me if im wrong im sure but i believe from the 16 on they used 247s, but less than gotway.. except for the 16X now which i heard they just recently decided to double.. the reason you hear nothing about them is because its extremely uncommon for them to fail due to the much more conservative firmware, and other safety measures... but the reason you dont blow a mosfet on a kingsong is because you blow the fuse.. it SHOULD be the first thing to go, im not aware of any gotway that utilizes fuses.. i know kingsong and inmotion do and im not sure about ninebot

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, erk1024 said:

What kind of mosfets does KS use anyway? Why is there no mosfet talk in the KS forums?

I think the recent notoriety around Gotway’s missteps have taken some of the heat (pun intended} off of Kingsong. Thanks to the fine work of folks like @Marty Backe and @Phil McLaughlin evaluating the Nikola; Kingsong has been able to avoid the immediate spotlight. But it does look like KS has been trying to up their MOSFET game with the 16x by doubling the device count and selecting potentially improved components.

I presume that increasing the MOSFET count should reduce the per-component thermal/current load--increasing performance margins and longevity. Their marketing materials also boast of "imported" TO-247 MOSFETs. I’m not sure how to interpret Imported other than to assume they are not generic Chinesium parts. Perhaps they are being sourced from a Japanese or US manufacturer. I was hoping for some high-res photos showing the part numbers, but it appears that they are sandwiched between the board and the heat-sink. :( Is this a good idea? Seems like it might be challenging to ensure even contact between the components and the heat-sink without stressing the board or the device leads???  Maybe not...

I guess we will know soon enough if these design decisions prove themselves in the field once the 16x makes it out in the world. I, for one, have my fingers crossed.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

"Imported" means not from China. Same as with the batteries. They have to stress this as everyone (even the Chinese) are wary of shitty/fraudulent/dangerous (hoverboard battery fires) Chinese electronics components.

@Rywokast's explanation is exactly right. Though in truth Gotway has not had any mosfet problems since early 2017 either. The Nikola thing is just a serious assembly error that caused the mosfets to die, but both the older/no-longer-used Nikola mosfets and especially the new big Nikola mosfets are 100% fine and unproblematic.

I expect the 16X to have a more aggressive firmware resulting in higher oomph/torque, just like the Nikola. Maybe that's why they increased their mosfet count despite the 18XL never having any mosfet problems.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, erk1024 said:

One mosfet, two mosfet, three mosfet blew

My mosfet, his mosfet, your mosfet glue?

(insomnia is making me punchy!)

Looks to me like 6 X 247s.

SmartSelect_20190723-140503_Facebook.jpg

SmartSelect_20190723-140333_Facebook.jpg

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Jeff Earl said:

But it does look like KS has been trying to up their MOSFET game with the 16x by doubling the device count and selecting potentially improved components.

Kingsong needs the 16X to be competitive because the Nikola has turned out to be an excellent wheel.

Edited by erk1024
  • Upvote 1

Please let's get back to the title of the thread. 

Discussions of other wheels, brand and components have far better theards they belong than this. 

Of course some side tracking can be good, but this is getting ridiculous. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

All Gotway wheels have fuses... They are the "long copper" type that run between the batteries, control board and motor - You probably haven't noticed them as they are covered in plastic tubing (often red and black).   

You're welcome!   :facepalm:

That is simply plain funny. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, buell47 said:

Where are the other 6 MOSFETs located? Can't see it on the pictures and thought there are only 6.

tempFileForShare_20190726-184555.jpg

Most likely in the middle of the board like Nikola:

CBC821-E2-9321-4032-805-A-525-F3-C8-EE6-

• Upvote 3

55 minutes ago, buell47 said:

Where are the other 6 MOSFETs located? Can't see it on the pictures and thought there are only 6.

I think you can spot the scolding here (se my blue box marking) :

1080_1d7a7094-dadd-496f-9a82-beb3b265556

Edited by Unventor
  • Like 1