18XL ride mode

MaxLinux

For all of my previous wheels (IPS 121, 191, Gotway MCM3, MSuper V2) I have always used the hardest ride setting. When my KS18XL arrived, I automatically chose the hardest setting. It seemed noticeably harder than the hardest setting on all of the wheels I listed. After about a week riding in the hardest mode, I had to admit it was too hard for me. I really had to strain to get enough lean to move the wheel. Bear in mind I am built rather small and light. Probably a larger, heavier person would not have difficulty on the hardest ride setting. I dropped back to the medium setting, and I'm very happy with the feel and responsiveness of the 18XL in this mode. I was wondering what ride mode most 18XL owners are using.

Edited by MaxLinux
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Another vote for Medium

I didn't like the soft mode, I felt like the wheel wasn't as responsive. The pedals had to tilt too much before the wheel would get moving. But I'm heavy, so we might have opposite problems.

I intend to try the hard mode, but just haven't gotten around to it yet.

The manufacturer trend has indeed changed hugely during the last two years. I guess MSX is the pinnacle of the trend, and the Gotway medium and soft modes don’t even help with the initial unresponsiveness (*). When you start accelerating, the MSX soft is still harder than 18XL hard, but it slides down to KS medium-soft during 2-3 seconds. Kind of like a slow over-lean simulator.

(*) When people say ”unresponsive”, they mean a wheel that responds so fast that it counteracts your CoG displacement before you can even get to a proper lean. Therefore so do I.

I miss the KS pedal feel, although there is a benefit to the MSX hardness as well. Roots for example, the pedals stay rock solid no matter the riding mode.

The setting should definitely be a slider on all wheels, instead of just three preset modes. Inmotion and Ninebot have theirs on sliders. KS & Gotway, come on, we want you too! A slider from MSX hard to KS soft would have it all.

Edited by mrelwood
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

9 hours ago, mrelwood said:

The setting should definitely be a slider on all wheels, instead of just three preset modes. Inmotion and Ninebot have theirs on sliders.

I like this slider idea!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I love the ride on hard... But as I do a lot of hill riding I have dropped back to medium, as it makes it easier to go uphill.

As an aside... Using the softer settings gives you better range too!

On my last ride, I switched to Hard mode from Medium. You know I could barely tell the difference. I switched back a forth a couple times. Hard felt a little more responsive to me. Shrug.

Edited by erk1024
  • Like 1

• 8 months later...
23 minutes ago, TedTheAtheist said:

i'm 6'... 200 lbs.. so should I do medium or hard?

I don’t know how much weight matters. But I would just test and feel what you like. I usually use medium for leisurely and long rides. Hard mode for off-roading or fast riding. 
Are you on 2.0?

thats because those wheels are all very old in euc terms :P hard settings now are like concrete blocks.. i too prefer medium mode on my 18xl even though on all 16" and below wheels i always use hard mode, i suspect it is for the same reason.. im a small/light rider and getting absolutely zero feedback from my vigorous rocking just feels odd to me lol