King Song Battery Bank for Extra Range

Jason McNeil

On 1/18/2019 at 9:57 PM, Seba said:

An external battery (in any form), optionally connected to the unicycle is not such a simple matter. If the internal battery has a different voltage than the external battery, there is a risk of severe sparking during connection, and consequently there is risk of burns to the user. In addition, battery that is more charged will charge the less charged one, which can cause the battery with a lower voltage to exceed the permissible charging current limit significantly. This can result in damage to the battery or even in a fire. These problems could be solved by using additional special electronics inside the EUC. However, this would increase the cost of the device, while reducing its reliability.

Thanks for saying this, @Seba hearing it from possibly one of the best known pioneer and experts in the euc community really helps give credibility to this knowledge. A small nobody like me telling people not to mess with batteries only ends up with doubt from the people I try to warn.

Preventing fires is not your own personal problem guys, it's a responsibility from each one of us early adopters to help prevent EUCs from being banned. Each one of us play the part when we are out riding to be an ambassador for EUCs to have a permanent place in society. Let's not deny future generations their right to enjoy this amazing technology.

• Like 1

@Aaron Shurtliff
I would go to the eWheels website and leave a message. They might be swamped with other emails right now so be patient. They have quite a few items available that are not on the website. ............:whistling:One more thing. The password we use to get the special hidden  items is “ Do you have” Then state the item you want.  :ph34r:  

Edited by RockyTop
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

I ride with OneWheel DFW. A few have Vamp setup. One guy, "the Professor" did an estimate for me.

The pic is his setup... (2) 10s2p 36 volt, 230 watt-hr battery each, 460WH in total. About 95% efficient transfer of power to the output application. The circuit board in the pic is a Voltage Booster. 

He recommend, I would need (4) 10s2p in parallel to the booster to get close to full charge voltage (84 v) for 920WH.  "I’m only bumping up from ~36 volts to ~60 volts, though. You may lose some more than 5% going to 80 volts. I built the voltage booster for $75. The batteries were $75 each. So $375 for all to get to 920 Wh."

I didn't know the KS S18 has 21700 batteries.

KSBatteryPack.jpg

• Like 2

4 hours ago, DragonFZ said:

I ride with OneWheel DFW. A few have Vamp setup. One guy, "the Professor" did an estimate for me.

Love your setup! This seems like a safe "charge and ride" style configuration, essentially a powerbank with constant voltage and proper current limit. 

Might change my mind about external power sources being unsafe. Is "Vamp" Onewheel lingo for this kind of powerbank style setup?

16 hours ago, DragonFZ said:

The pic is his setup... 460WH in total.

KSBatteryPack.jpg

Right, so the KS-Power is the same thing, but nearly twice the battery, and more compact. An attractive product; hope it proves reliable!

11 hours ago, Tinkererboi said:

Is "Vamp" Onewheel lingo for this kind of powerbank

They do love their jargon...

No. "Vampire mode" is what they call parallel connection of two packs of the same voltage (typically with no protection or current-limiting device in between).
This is "Charge and ride."

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, RagingGrandpa said:

No. "Vampire mode" is what they call parallel connection of two packs of the same voltage (typically with no protection or current-limiting device in between).

Ahh, good to know. Thanks for clearing that up! 

5 hours ago, RagingGrandpa said:

Thanks... Charge and ride... so far he have been doing it on his OneWheel for 2 years now and have been building them for other riders in the group. I never needed one, but planning on a possibility of getting S18

• 11 months later...

My S18 Battery/Range Project Update: I was able to locate and purchase the external power bank made by king song. This product is not available by any seller online, directly. Images and details of this product lacking at best - reports from 2019, and as recent at june 2020 show that it is only available by email via ewheels for $650. As of august 2021, it can be purchased via email to sales@ewheels.com for a cost of $550 for 780wh.

Product Name: KS-Power
Power bank is 780wh with an averaged ~650wh of usable battery discharged to the S18 (due to efficiency losses). Officially functions as a trickle charge @ 3a. Anecdotes online report upwards of 5a (though I’m satisfied with 3a). It will obviously not be usable for direct power draw, but will extend range on the S18 to provide a continuous charge while riding or at stops.

For me, this will bring my total nominal battery capacity to: 1880wh (1100wh internal S18 battery + 780wh external power bank) With a usable battery capacity of ~1750wh (due to efficiency losses, discharged capacity is estimated at ~650wh from the 780wh battery)

Real World Range Breakdown:
My average energy consumption = ~25.5wh/mi
S18 internal battery @ 1100wh/25.5wh per mi = ~43-45 miles
Power Bank external battery @ 650wh/25.5wh per mi = ~25-26 miles

Real World Range: S18 and Power Bank @ 1750wh/25.5wh per mi = ~68-70 miles (60 miles conservatively)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, misterdalto said:

My S18 Battery/Range Project Update: I was able to locate and purchase the external power bank made by king song. This product is not available by any seller online, directly. Images and details of this product lacking at best - reports from 2019, and as recent at june 2020 show that it is only available by email via ewheels for $650. As of august 2021, it can be purchased via email to sales@ewheels.com for a cost of $550 for 780wh.

Product Name: KS-Power
Power bank is 780wh with an averaged ~650wh of usable battery discharged to the S18 (due to efficiency losses). Officially functions as a trickle charge @ 3a. Anecdotes online report upwards of 5a (though I’m satisfied with 3a). It will obviously not be usable for direct power draw, but will extend range on the S18 to provide a continuous charge while riding or at stops.

For me, this will bring my total nominal battery capacity to: 1880wh (1100wh internal S18 battery + 780wh external power bank) With a usable battery capacity of ~1750wh (due to efficiency losses, discharged capacity is estimated at ~650wh from the 780wh battery)

Real World Range Breakdown:
My average energy consumption = ~25.5wh/mi
S18 internal battery @ 1100wh/25.5wh per mi = ~43-45 miles
Power Bank external battery @ 650wh/25.5wh per mi = ~25-26 miles

Real World Range: S18 and Power Bank @ 1750wh/25.5wh per mi = ~68-70 miles (60 miles conservatively)

So how big is this battery, what does it weigh, and is it mountable or is this something you throw in a back pack with a cord hanging to the charge port??

Do you feel $550 is worth the extra 20+ miles?

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

A while later... seems like this product is a flop :(

I think because:

• Limited utility
    No support for 100V EUCs, which are prevalent now.
    And since 2020, lots of EUC's became available with >2600wh packs, so large that even a 'regular' 1800wh EUC plus a power bank can't match their range. 
    (If your buddies on 2700wh EUC's want to ride in a group, you'll hold them back).

And many EUC's don't permit charge-and-ride (Inmotion and Veteran, for example). So the target audience is just 84V Gotways and Kingsongs.

• "clunky and fussy" 
    KS-Power is a heavy metal rectangle with sharp corners, not very comfortable when tossed in a backpack. 
    Activating it is not "flip a switch" easy... you must select the output settings each time you turn it on, and if you mess up, it doesn't charge. 
    The connector adapter cable is huge, floppy, and challenging to mount in a secure way. 

(If you still use and appreciate your KS-Power here in 2022, please reply :))