King Song Battery Bank for Extra Range

Jason McNeil

21 hours ago, Mimolette said:

Kingsong apparently did a prototype, the KS-Power but strange enough it only appears in a single French video

The KS-Power isn't a prototype... It is a "proper" product available from King Song!

All it needs now is to get the local dealers to bring it in!!!   And as an FYI for New Zealand riders, we are looknig to include a few of these in our next order - please let us know if you are interested and we will ensure we bring in enough.

On 9/13/2019 at 10:14 PM, The Fat Unicyclist said:

The KS-Power isn't a prototype... It is a "proper" product available from King Song!

All it needs now is to get the local dealers to bring it in!!!   And as an FYI for New Zealand riders, we are looknig to include a few of these in our next order - please let us know if you are interested and we will ensure we bring in enough.

I saw this on the website the other day actually. Specs below.... what would be a meaningful charge you'd actually get from something like this?

Power Bank for Personal Electric Vehicle
Power Bank for Personal Electric Vehicle

Input AC 80~240 V, out put DC 42V (2A/5A)

Proper temperature: -10℃/+60℃

Net weight: Approx. 4.5Kg

Maximum output power: 420W

Size:177mm(H) x284mm(L) X 90mm(Max width)

Output ripple:<50mV

Efficiency:>90%

Include:One charger / one manual / one warranty card, / certificate, / all-in-one output cable

All-in-one output cable:Small aviation plug (1 positive 2 negative), large aviation plug (1 positive 3 negative), flat mouth plug (inside negative external positive), DC plug (inside positive and negative). 

(Note: Please confirm that the positive and negative plugs and the polarity of the product input are correct before charging.)

Edited by Mishkin
  • Like 1

• 6 months later...
On 2/1/2019 at 6:59 AM, US69 said:

When you use just a additional batterypack and plug it to the chargeport it is more or less just another parrallel pack

This is how it works with a unified charge port on the BMS, which is what EUCs seem to be using (a split port works as charge only).

Because charging and discharging cells is not 100% efficient, the optimal usage is to run the external pack as a booster pack in parallel with the main batteries while riding. Parallel packs have a lower per-pack output current and last longer than using each pack individually (less stress, less power lost to internal resistance/heat). 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Sorry for bumping this.

I just saw on ewheels that the new KS S18 has the option to extend range with this battery bank, but misteriously this battery bank does not appear anywhere.
Is it still a thing, or the ewheels comparison is made so that ks comes better compared to the V11?

imatge.png.e78ebda69013489d8b8d611432af0fcb.png

Cheers!

Edited by Struck
Add image

I emailed and asked - the 780wh one is $650.  I don't think it is listed on the webpage. 

It is still a thing - I didn't realize how long these external chargers have been out.  Seems like a perfect addition to the s18

On 6/20/2020 at 1:28 AM, Ben Hatfield said:

I emailed and asked - the 780wh one is $650.  I don't think it is listed on the webpage. 

It is still a thing - I didn't realize how long these external chargers have been out.  Seems like a perfect addition to the s18

Indeed. I love large batteries for range (the reason I'm getting a Sherman, not a S18), but dont need to lug it around every time.
I wonder how much of those 780Wh make it as charge on the internal battery. (the efficiency)

edit: the connector should also be stronger or stabilized ideally, as there will be play / stress.

Edited by null
  • Like 1

KS suggested using the KS external battery (720Wh?) to compensate for the S18 battery.
This has pros and cons, but might be an interesting option.

Do anyone know what kind of loss we can expect?
Between the (say) 720Wh contained by the external battery, and how much of these effectively end up in the internal battery?

The only advantage is that one can recharge the battery in the wilderness far away from a power outlet and a charger. But the problem is that you can't reach the wilderness with the tiny battery. 

Hmmm, should I really enumerate all the negative things about such a battery? 

Maybe it is enough to mention that the external battery is only for charging and cannot directly supply the motor during the ride. How long do you want to ride around and have the whole time the cable connected which is hindering you. Only a matter of time until the charging port is defective.

• Like 1

Thanks, yes its impractical, but the question wasn't about the pro and cons, it was about how much of the Wh would end up in the internal battery.

We can skip the entire part about KS power and EUCs:
Anyone knows how much Wh loss there would be charging one battery from another?

Edited by null

27 minutes ago, null said:

Anyone knows how much Wh loss there would be charging one battery from another?

Edited 9 minutes ago by null

Back 20 years ago the loss was quite a bit. 30-50% . Today I think the loss is less than 20%.

• Like 1

On 6/20/2020 at 1:28 AM, Ben Hatfield said:

How is it a thing, and is not in the webpage?

And on which webpage? This is weird A.F. because this is not just a bunch of cells and a BMS, it needs more electronics to control the amps delivered, it surely needs a dc-dc transformer (or several).. And not offered to the wide market? And I guess you have contacted the ewheels page... but, where is it on the kingsong official page? Do they sell kingsong products that not even kingsong promote?

thx

EDIT: Powerbank exists in the official kingsong page: https://www.kingsong.com/list-45.html

But not in https://www.kingsong-europe.com/ or https://www.kingsong.es/  or any other store...

Edited by Struck
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Struck said:

How is it a thing, and is not in the webpage?

And on which webpage? This is weird A.F. because this is not just a bunch of cells and a BMS, it needs more electronics to control the amps delivered, it surely needs a dc-dc transformer (or several).. And not offered to the wide market? And I guess you have contacted the ewheels page... but, where is it on the kingsong official page? Do they sell kingsong products that not even kingsong promote?

thx

EDIT: Powerbank exists in the official kingsong page: https://www.kingsong.com/list-45.html

But not in https://www.kingsong-europe.com/ or https://www.kingsong.es/  or any other store...

The two other links are from dealers, not operated by KS HQ 

The King Song External Power Supply .. can supply power .. while the wheel is in use .. I've seen people do this with other King Song wheel , by putting it in a back pack , and running the charge cord to the wheel from the back pack.

Thus .. you can get the charge rate input while you are discharging .. thus increasing the range one can go before having to stop.

For example , 2.5A x 84v = ~210watt from external 780wh power bank .. if you are riding the wheel at a ~420watt consumption rate , than 210w come from external and 210w come from internal.

Again .. not ideal .. and no where near the wheel's max power rates .. but yes , it can be used to extend the range.

As for efficiency .. I would expect to loose 10-20% of the 780Wh in the conversion .. electronics , and wheels' internal battery cycle efficiency.

• Like 2

French Video of using the King Song external battery in a back pack with a wheel.

If you use it for for on the go charging at the max of 5A x 84v = ~420watts.

If you get the largest 780wh external battery (in your back pack) .. it will take a minimum of 780/420= ~111 minutes to discharge the external into the wheel.

If you had a KS-S18 with 1100 wh base + 780wh in back pack = ~1880wh combined over ~111 minutes = average use rate of ~1016 watts over that ~111 minutes .. any faster watt use rate and you'll run out of internal battery faster than external .. any slower watt use rate you (ride for more minutes) and run out of external battery faster than internal battery.

• Like 2

E-wheels told me 5-31-20 that they had the 780wh size in stock.

So , If you want to buy one .. just contact them.

yeah it's odd they haven't listed it on their web store .. but you can still just contact them and buy it.

Folks, I have a ks-16S ...67v So, my friend got this ebike external battery pack... Can I take advantage safely? It is a 60V 12Ah,lets say 720wh... Sure it got its own BMS as you'll charge this to the wall directly... As I've read before, If I charge this on the wall to 100% and I charge the EUC to 100, and then I plug it, and then I boot/start the euc, should it be all ok? ¿Or am I missing something? tks in adv for any feedback! A 16s "1560wh" sounds attractive indeed :)  

On 6/30/2020 at 11:08 PM, Seba Barcia said:

Folks, I have a ks-16S ...67v So, my friend got this ebike external battery pack... Can I take advantage safely? It is a 60V 12Ah,lets say 720wh... Sure it got its own BMS as you'll charge this to the wall directly... As I've read before, If I charge this on the wall to 100% and I charge the EUC to 100, and then I plug it, and then I boot/start the euc, should it be all ok? ¿Or am I missing something? tks in adv for any feedback! A 16s "1560wh" sounds attractive indeed :)  

The external battery pack is meant for charging another battery pack?

If not I wouldn't do it. You need something to limit the amps. When charging a battery pack what limits the amps is the charger. I do not expect neither that battery or the charging port of the kingsong wheel to have an amp limiter when charging.

Be careful!

EDIT: Okay, I see you meant to have both be discharged at the same time by matching voltages at the beginning.. I think this would be fine.. Just make sure you measure the voltage before you connect them and don't assume anything. There is just the issue that 10amps may flow through a wire (in the wheel) that is not expecting more than 2/3 when charging.

Btw, regenerative braking will only be sent to the ewheel battery (I am pretty sure there is a diode there preventing outflow). But since then the external battery will have then lower voltage, this seems feasible.

Edited by Struck
  • Like 1