Gotway MsuperX - Repair Questions (post-crash)

chulander

Hi,

I already mentioned the below to @Jason McNeil but figured maybe someone on the forum has recommendations.

My questions are:

1. Are there some specific MSX grip tapes or does any skateboard grip tape do (seems like the latter would suffice)?

2. Has anyone successfully hide/fix  carbon fiber scratches (unfortunately it's not the side-panels which seems more easily replaced. There is a YouTube solution using sandpaper, a grill-pattern to mimic carbon fiber, and a bunch of different spray paint colors [black/silver/high gloss something]).

3. Is there anything I need to check with the internals after 10-12 miles crash? The wheel slammed into a curb and I rode approximately 6 miles post accident without hearing anything strange (I'm planning to reopen the wheel and tighten the obvious screws).

4. How do other MSuperX owners mount their lights? I have an upgraded Evolva and resort to using it with my hands since the clamps I tried would fall off.

Thanks everyone. Below are post-accident screenshots and the back story for anyone interested.

After almost 6 months of daily riding, I was involved with my first EUC accident late last night when a cab driver took the wrong turn at a fork and decided to rectify the solution by making a hard right to cut across 2 lanes of traffic + the adjacent bike lane (which I was riding on) and over the sidewalk / concrete divider to reach the correct fork (go lost NYC cab drivers).

The location of the fork was unfortunately after the apex of a hill which limited visibility and I was going about 20mph when the cab started its super-illegal maneuver.  I had to decide whether:

1. swerve left out of the bike lane onto the main road into unknown traffic behind me (this would have prevented the crash but if there were cars behind me, I probably would have gotten rear-ended with a trip to the hospital or worst). 

2. stay on the bike lane and hope the driver climbs over the divider by the time I get there (seems quite risky since the current trajectory is directly into the cab).

3. swerve right and take that fork (this would have also prevented the crash but that fork was the service road entrance onto the highway and I would have been vulnerable to any traffic behind me that were speeding over the apex. Also the would place me in front of the cab driver after he climbed the divider).

4. slow down as much as  possible and eject with the hope I can stop well ahead of the cab's path over the divider. (this was the safest choice in the 2 second window to make a decision)

I slowed down as much as I could prior to the 6-inch tall curb (about 10-12 mph) and jumped into a hard plant with my right leg (slow down attempt #1) then I tucked my left shoulder forward and slammed my left hand (intentionally) into the concrete to force my self into a tumble (slow down attempt #2) onto my shoulders and back. As I was sliding against my backpack, I slammed my right hand (slow down attempt #3) and planted my feet to stop sliding. I was hoping not to slide into the path of the cab as it was driving over the divider.

Fortunately, the crash made such a loud commotion that the cab stopped climbing over the divider and despite my efforts, I did not stop sliding far enough. In addition, somehow as I slid, I managed to look behind to track the MSuper X (did not want the wheel to crash into me). Luckily when the wheel jumped the curb, it landed on its side into what @Marty Backe calls "the Gotway dance" and spun in a circle until I retrieved it.

I did not know what do in this situation. Call the police? Is my EUC going to get me into more trouble? Do I assault the cab driver out of anger because he knew he was wrong and was very apologetic that he "didn't see me" despite all the lights I had on (could be because of the apex of the hill). I decided after catching my breathe for a minute to do nothing except decline the driver's offer to go to the hospital and rode the remaining 6 miles home.

As upset I am about the damage to the new wheel and gear, I'm extremely fortunate to walk away from the solution on my own. My only wishes were that if it had to happen, that I was riding my already scratched-up Tesla (the first wheel I learned on) and the accident was captured (trip was 17 mile / 1.5 hour and I must have turned the camera off at a prior intersection).

The photos below shows the extent of the damage. (my TSG Pass helmet did not hit the floor, super lucky here). Note, the front trolley handle was already slightly cracked before the accident as I over-tightened the screws following @EUC GUY waterproof tutorial ( @Jason McNeil already sent a replacement part last week). From now on, I'm using the high-intensity upgraded Evolva at night, I rather blind someone ahead of me than risk hearing how they "did not see me"

right-pedals-edited.jpg

front-panel-edited.jpg

trolley-edited.jpg

wrist-guards-edited.jpg

backpack-edited.jpg

Wow. Sorry to read of your accident. Sounds similar to one I had, but much less severe. Car cut me off, and like, I slowed down and then jumped off the wheel. Fortunately no damage to my wheel and I was able to stay on my feel.

I don't have any repair suggestions for you. Of course you know that typically new shells can be bought, but your damage really doesn't look that bad (to me).

I use anti-slip tape for stairs that you can buy at the big box store.

I'm curious, can you tell me how effective those wrist guards were in protecting your hands and wrists?

hey @Marty Backe , wish you had a video of that fall. I'm impressed you were able to land on your feet. I was aiming for that but the second my right leg planted, I knew this was beyond running speed and planting the second leg down would mean a full face+chin with chest plant.

The Killer 187 Wrist Guards are pretty good but it left the wrist a bit bruised / swollen. (I ordered the Demon United Flexmeter Double Sided Wrist Guards D3O hoping those won't leave bruises in the future). My hands has no scratches so I'm grateful to retain my skin.

I also wore the Fox Racing Titan Pro Elbow Guard which helped since I landed on the elbow into triceps quite hard after the hand (sore elbow and tricep but nothing is broken).

What really is shameful is the backpack is stitched with 1000D Cordura "ripstop" fabrics which I now know is pure marketing and doesn't really stop all rips. Amazing the contents of my bag weren't damaged (portable air compressor, battery pack for the phone and the eWheels fast charger)

btw, thanks for all your youtube videos (added the slime + always carry an air-compressor). it's extremely helpful and I plan to get a leatherman soon (those are pricey).

2 hours ago, chulander said:

hey @Marty Backe , wish you had a video of that fall. I'm impressed you were able to land on your feet. I was aiming for that but the second my right leg planted, I knew this was beyond running speed and planting the second leg down would mean a full face+chin with chest plant.

The Killer 187 Wrist Guards are pretty good but it left the wrist a bit bruised / swollen. (I ordered the Demon United Flexmeter Double Sided Wrist Guards D3O hoping those won't leave bruises in the future). My hands has no scratches so I'm grateful to retain my skin.

I also wore the Fox Racing Titan Pro Elbow Guard which helped since I landed on the elbow into triceps quite hard after the hand (sore elbow and tricep but nothing is broken).

What really is shameful is the backpack is stitched with 1000D Cordura "ripstop" fabrics which I now know is pure marketing and doesn't really stop all rips. Amazing the contents of my bag weren't damaged (portable air compressor, battery pack for the phone and the eWheels fast charger)

btw, thanks for all your youtube videos (added the slime + always carry an air-compressor). it's extremely helpful and I plan to get a leatherman soon (those are pricey).

Fortunately my incident was at a much slower speed and I was able to steer in front of the car and then jump off the wheel and keep running. I talk about it here 

Well fortunately you weren't really hurt. You've just earned a(nother) EUC badge for your jacket. ;)

Thanks for the nice comments regards my videos - always nice to hear that they offer some value to a few folks :D

I’ve crashed and dropped my Msuper X dozens of times within these weeks of me having my first wheel just from being a little too confident in my riding capabilities, that being said gotway makes them tuff ! I am a prime example of why you should take it slow because today I had to ditch my wheel going high speed on a bumpy sidewalk. I tried to make a left into an empty parking lot but didn’t realize how long the curb was coming in, I was going to fast and for whatever reason didn’t even attempt to hit my brakes I left the wheel and landed running on my feet thankfully. I’ve only ever suffered cuts and bruises from wheel accidents but today my wheel has been badly damaged and I’m super sad about it. I have a bent and cracked rim and the case itself is basically falling apart down the middle of the handle. 

5 hours ago, chulander said:

1. Are there some specific MSX grip tapes or does any skateboard grip tape do (seems like the latter would suffice)?

3. Is there anything I need to check with the internals after 10-12 miles crash? The wheel slammed into a curb and I rode approximately 6 miles post accident without hearing anything strange (I'm planning to reopen the wheel and tighten the obvious screws).

4. How do other MSuperX owners mount their lights? I have an upgraded Evolva and resort to using it with my hands since the clamps I tried would fall off.

YIKES guys! Sorry to see the battered and bruised MSX's but really glad to hear everybody is OK. 

It's funny, or maybe not, that my MSX looks very similar to @chulander's after my first and only fall so far on my MSX a couple of weeks ago. Mine tumbled and took a hit on the right top edge, shearing off the front shell screw peg and popping out its eyeball/headlight module. Easily repaired, but my front screw peg is gone, thus the Gorilla tape. Glad all of the others held up.

My crash was preceded by speed wobbles under rapid downhill deceleration. I've altered my riding technique and replaced the side pads and the wobbles have gone away. I've gone to a much firmer, textured foam that provides tons more grip. I've also taken to squeezing pretty hard with my knees near the back of the pad under extremely heavy braking (only). Not only are the original stock Gotway pads ugly and flimsy, I also found them unsafe and wish I had replaced them sooner.

Many riders here shave their (useless) rubber strips out of their pedals and resurface their entire pedal surface using skateboard grip tape. I use 3M Safety-Walk for touch ups and to re-edge.

Check the side-to-side free play in your wheel; if you can force your tire close the edge of the case it could indicate a weakened or damaged case or problem with the pedal hangers or shims. I strongly advise opening the side case and inspecting the innards, especially the shell casing alongside and above the pedal hangers. Historically this has been a significant point of failure for MSV3's.

I run an 8.4v helmet light for night riding but am looking at/for a GoPro mount USB led that I can attach to the front/top of my wheel for additional lighting.

20180917_203647.jpg.5414d5b16e37bbd0fb3cb368847aafaa.jpg

20180917_203926.jpg.1df9890d45c1172c6ad4309b3ad9404b.jpg

14 minutes ago, who_the said:

It's funny, or maybe not, that my MSX looks very similar to @chulander's after my first and only fall so far on my MSX a couple of weeks ago.

I hope you weren't wearing your good suit?

1 hour ago, Scooter Man Fran said:

35ED1DB9-21BF-411A-A578-477A7539166A.thumb.jpeg.1f9265d92c0dcb255b3dab57857217ed.jpeg

Wow, that must have been a brutal crash. I wouldn't have thought that bending the MSX rim was possible given how big the tire is.

Thanks for the detailed response @who_the. I'll open the case after work tomorrow and run your recommended diagnostics. Fortunately, I don't think there's any side-to-side free play of the wheel or I would have fell today during the daily 4 mile ride (the app said I reached 24.3 mph).

Thanks for the grip tape tip @Hansolo. I'll have to decide between your recommendation and @who_the 3M suggestion.

@Marty Backe, I can't believe you were able to jump off the Tesla, land into a run and then hurdle over a 4inch divider. I think the divider would have gotten me if I stuck the landing.

@Scooter Man Fran, your MSX looks like how my tesla (minus the rim dent). Sorry to see that your baby is in that shape. I am interested in how you end up repairing the wheel [outside of buying a brand new battery-less MSX =) ].

1 hour ago, Scooter Man Fran said:

56DC9715-96D5-4E00-A606-1D3D371EB424.thumb.jpeg.53e744dc5acb31348e034ec039fa64ce.jpeg

That crash was something serious 

It's not pretty, but I've done it and others have to: drill out the holes and use threaded rod, washers, and nuts to hold the shell together. If painted they're barely noticeable.

I had an accident too. A simple step off. But then the wheel proceeded eith the gotway dance and ended up cracking the shell just behind the trolley. And also thr trolley handle is totally F*cked

my damage isnt too bad. But im sad about it though :/ 

Is it me or is the new shell on the MSX flimsy like on the Tesla.  I remember the V3S+ being better built.  The plastic was definitely thicker and more rigid.  

Here is a picture of shipping damage on a MSX v100

41991023_538824693222141_2879919212854247424_n.thumb.jpg.9220e6acdfe257d0baa537a17ce20e41.jpg

Here is picture of another rider in our group holding the crack together with tape after it was dropped.  not a crash.  

42059505_349131519162755_8847939994799570944_n.thumb.jpg.8dc783f56be2b32364857873d95ee469.jpg

Regarding the grip tape, I have ditched skateboard grip and stairs grip tape for 40-grit sanding sheet/paper. It takes gripping to another level.

@eddiemoy, while I haven’t examined other Gotways very closely, the MSX plastic does feel brittle compared to the 16S. The pictures above seem to support my finding.

3 hours ago, mrelwood said:

Regarding the grip tape, I have ditched skateboard grip and stairs grip tape for 40-grit sanding sheet/paper. It takes gripping to another level.

@eddiemoy, while I haven’t examined other Gotways very closely, the MSX plastic does feel brittle compared to the 16S. The pictures above seem to support my finding.

Yeh, I don't know what it is with the plastic.  The KS16 I have is built like a tank.  I used it to learn on and I still have in my trunk for last mile stuff.  It is scratch up really bad, but they are all just scratches.  I don't know enough about plastics, but I felt the old MS V3s+ I had also had a tougher shell than the current MSX.  The current MSX seems to be similar to the Tesla, not as bad, but similar. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/21/2018 at 8:05 AM, Shad0z said:

I had an accident too. A simple step off. But then the wheel proceeded eith the gotway dance and ended up cracking the shell just behind the trolley. And also thr trolley handle is totally F*cked

my damage isnt too bad. But im sad about it though :/ 

Yoo what did you do about the trolley?? Mine just broke too.

On 10/4/2018 at 3:22 PM, Glasco Martin IV said:

Yoo what did you do about the trolley?? Mine just broke too.

So far i only removed the trolley. But im still "trolley less" for now

On 9/23/2018 at 5:14 PM, mrelwood said:

What do you use to attach the sandpaper? I would think spray adhesive wouldn’t be as forgiving during application in comparison to the adhesive on jessup board tape.

Archived