!!! Firmware or hardware problems with KS18L, wheels locking up while trolleying

esaj

I've been planning on purchasing an 18l from Speedyfeet, but these issues are giving me cold feet, especially as I would use the trolley handle quite a lot.

I was wondering, is there any general consensus on the points below, or are these complete unknowns at this stage? (and sorry if these have already been covered)...

1) Is it looking like this issue is currently present in all 18l units? (i.e each one is a ticketing 'time bomb' that will at some point lock-up when being trolleyed), or is it more likely that it's just a fault with a few unlucky units.

2) Is this issue one that should theoretically be resolved with a firmware update, or is this more likely an inherent engineering flaw with some of the hardware in the initial batches of the wheel (i.e something that can't be resolved without getting a replacement wheel or hardware)?

____

I'd be interested to hear peoples thoughts on the above - I'm trying to gauge whether I'd be best to hold off making the purchase for now.  

It also occurred to me how dangerous this issue could be if it occurred while trolleying the wheel across a busy road.  

Edited by LewisF
typo made it confusing
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Hello guys,

My 18L is comming tommorow...

I have read everything about it on this forum... And I dont wanna have any issues with my wheel... It costs a lot of money, it was 2 summer months of everyday work for me... I dont wanna open the shell and configure it myself.... I dont really understand this type of electronic devices...

So the tutorial is:

1) Power on the wheel

2) Connect it via bluetooth app

3) Update firmware

4) Calibrate sensors

5) Turn off the switch off sensor?

6) Believe.

Is that right? Do you have some tips to learn to ride as big wheel as 18L is? I have ever riden only V5F (14", 550W) so it will be quite a change for me... I am gonna use it as a commuter to school daily... Trolleying only at school and on the bus stop sometimes...

Thank you guys, have a great day!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ricqvo said:

So the tutorial is:

1) Power on the wheel

2) Connect it via bluetooth app

3) Update firmware

4) Calibrate sensors

5) Turn off the switch off sensor?

6) Believe.

Yeah, that is exactly what I'm gonna do tomorrow when my KS18L arrives. Unfortunately nobody really knows If that helps with this issue at all. It solves some other problems, so it is still recommended process. Only sure thing is, all cases were while trolleying. So until some official info emerges, I will trolley with my KS18L as little as possible. 

• Like 2

According to a French reseller, Kingsong provided an APK to resellers to solve the issue on locked down wheels. This is just for affected wheels atm, I hope if it proves to be working that it will be deployed to all wheels.

@US69, any update on what they suspect to be the culprit?

• Like 1

16 hours ago, LewisF said:

I've been planning on purchasing an 18l from Speedyfeet, but these issues are giving me cold feet, especially as I would use the trolley handle quite a lot.

I was wondering, is there any general consensus on the points below, or are these complete unknowns at this stage? (and sorry if these have already been covered)...

1) Is it looking like this issue is currently present in all 18l units? (i.e each one is a ticketing 'time bomb' that will at some point lock-up when being trolleyed), or is it more likely that it's just a fault with a few unlucky units.

2) Is this issue one that should theoretically be resolved with a firmware update, or is this more likely an inherent engineering flaw with some of the hardware in the initial batches of the wheel (i.e something that can't be resolved without getting a replacement wheel or hardware)?

____

I'd be interested to hear peoples thoughts on the above - I'm trying to gauge whether I'd be best to hold off making the purchase for now.  

It also occurred to me how dangerous this issue could be if it occurred while trolleying the wheel across a busy road.  

16 hours ago, nte said:

Some 18Ls have had no problems at all.

You can call me biased for sure, but i would say the most 18L's have no Problem at all!

We are still on About 8-10 wheels worldwide, with most cases happend in France, in the US and in Russia. 

There wasn't even one case in Germany, and not one in Thailand and Singapour, where allready the complete batches where sold out...There are for sure other states where also nothing had happend, but i mentioned this 3 as i know the Resellers and talked with them personally about it.

As said before unfortunatly the "culprit" is still not found…..

Edited by US69
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, ricqvo said:

will report more and I will write longer review when I will have 50-100km on the wheel... Luv it❤️

And thank you all guys for helping me with everything! Awesome community!?

Congrats  ?

21 minutes ago, ricqvo said:

It came straith from KingSong China to Czech Republic (Central Europe) in 3 weeks... I ordered on monday 9.7. and it came on monday 30.7. That is awesome... The packaging was poor... There were only wheel, charger and some od that white plastic stuff (I dont know how it is called in english)...

Congrats. Did not know one could order directly from Kingsong China, how did you do this?

15 minutes ago, em1barns said:

Congrats. Did not know one could order directly from Kingsong China, how did you do this?

You have to just have friends... And ask, ask, and ask more and more people... I did not know that too a month ago...

• Like 1

@US69 I was thinking about that over the weekend. I paid extra for air shipping, so I am wondering if the air travel could have affected my board. It looks like there is conformal coating on the PCB to help seal it, but since may of the failures are on units that traveled long distances, I am wondering if air travel (air pressure) could have affected something. The only thing I can think of would be large electrolytic caps (air pressure inside), but maybe there is something else? 

Hopefully it will just be a FW fix.

Also, I did end up ordering 30 replacement screws (M2x8). They are listed as M2-0.4x8 , so I hope they are the right ones. Taking off the shell isn't too bad, but I'm not looking forward to any controller board replacement. Still haven't heard back from my seller this week about any updates, so 18L will remain in storage until this issue is resolved.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jason McNeil said:

@US69, you shouldn't be the fall guy for a KS bug :) 

Does appear that KS has captured the problem from a returned board, solved through a beta firmware release. The game-plan, as I understand it, is that they want affected Users to test it out, get confirmation from multiple sources, before rolling it across in a v1.08 general update. 

Thanks for sharing, curious to understand what "sensor" they are talking about, if this can be shared openly at this stage.

• Upvote 1

I'm having problem with KingSong 18L lift sensor. Sometimes it works and when it doesn't work, the wheel will spin to its max, then stop. So I went to KingSong App and make sure the lift sensor is on and also I've used the re-calibration, but to no avail. Anyone has similar issues with the lift sensor? I've read that some KS18L owners also have similar problems. Anyone has a solution or do we have to wait for a firmware update by KingSong later on to fix this lift sensor? 

Just now, scubadragosan said:

I'm having problem with KingSong 18L lift sensor. Sometimes it works and when it doesn't work, the wheel will spin to its max, then stop. So I went to KingSong App and make sure the lift sensor is on and also I've used the re-calibration, but to no avail. Anyone has similar issues with the lift sensor? I've read that some KS18L owners also have similar problems. Anyone has a solution or do we have to wait for a firmware update by KingSong later on to fix this lift sensor? 

In the posts just above yours this problem is named and the fix is described.

You seem to be having this same problem, so dont use the handle release function, in fact disable it in the app until the update.

On 7/29/2018 at 10:01 AM, LewisF said:

____

Dont let this one thing ruin all your potential fun. Dont even use the Handle Lift Release function until it is fixed. Hell, kingsongs never even had this feature befoe this vehicle. It is an InMotion innovation that others are now copying. The vehicle is a total blast!

I have used the trollying but only with the Handle lift release disabled in the app. It is a remarkably well balanced unit, and is a touch easier to carry than the 5lb lighter V10F. The handle is just better placed for the weight of the vehicle for lifting up stairs.

The speakers are tremendous, the acceleration is great, I climb hills at 19- 20mph. The ride is smooth even at 50psi and even smoother at 40.

I was worried about those things too, but they have almost nothing to do with riding the vehicle. So I have disabled the faulty lift sensor, using this like I used my KS18S and turning it off to climb stairs. I have used Darknessbot for ios and the ks app on Android. Trollying is not a problem as long as the lift sensor is disabled, so that has worked out fine as well.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, scubadragosan said:

Thanks for the reply Stan Onymous. When you say disable the handle release function, how is that done in the app? Step-by-step if you could... I am just plain ignorant.

You Need newest Version of the app!!! Android 1.50 or IOS 3.4

Under "Settings" you will find a menu/register for the sensor handle button to calibrate it and to have it ON or OFF

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, scubadragosan said:

Thanks for the reply Stan Onymous. When you say disable the handle release function, how is that done in the app? Step-by-step if you could... I am just plain ignorant.

Me too! I am also not a special ignorant. Lol

That said, open the App, connect to your 18L. At the bottom right hand corner of the App screen there is a button labeled “More” . Click that button and at the bottom of that list is the “Lift stop rotating switch” line. Click on that and make sure the switch is set to OFF.

Get back on the vehicle and ride it into the next day. ?

Edited by Stan Onymous
  • Like 1