ACCIDENTs, CRASHs, Cutouts and Overleans.

The Wizard

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
55 minutes ago, mrelwood said:

Isn’t that what wheels already do at cut-off, free-roll? Unless the wheel is blocked by a blown Mosfet that is.

No. The self balancing stops, the pedals fall forward and the wheel stops. Perhaps "free-wheel" like a hub motor driven ebike or e-board would have been a better term to use.  If the pedals didn't drop and the wheel continued to roll, one would have more options. This as mentioned earlier would require some changes to the hub motor-axle design and major control board concept changes and redesign. The engineering problem to solve is how to have the pedals work as normal when there is sufficient power and remain under rider balancing control when power is lost, so one would be on a runaway unicycle which is more akin to e-board controller/braking failure. One might be able to run it off, jump and tumble, etc. 

1 hour ago, The Wizard said:

I think if people would acually add these 2 rod prongs as I described and rode and did their own observations that they would THEN see it is Obvious this works. Again, not keeping from a Fall but stopping or warning of would have been a Faceplant.

This topic has been done to death in the past and I’m surprised anyone is bothering to answer and rehash this all again!

If you have proved this works then surely you can video yourself actually demonstrating it, otherwise this thread is just going to go round and round the same pointless loop. Perhaps you would also care to demonstrate how having a pair of prongs sticking out of the front doesn’t impede jumping up kerbs, uneven ground, etc as well?

Beyond that, you are not allowing for the way riders will react in a failure situation, I.e. it isn’t the failure they react to as they haven’t trained there unconscious reactions for that so that extra millisecond or two your device gives them won’t (IMHO) help at all - I covered this here:

The key point here is that if you DELIBERATELY fail the wheel you will fall safely with or without your “clever” idea. In a real failure you will try to correct for the tilt forward and will faceplant before you have time to think about rolling off, @The Fat Unicyclist Has got it right, if you want to prevent a faceplant you need to stick a big wheel in front and invent the bicycle, nothing smaller is going to make a bit of difference.

Finally, You can see how well received the below guy was when he continually pushed his same “brilliant” ideas ad nausium - bear in mind that his worst descents into abuse in this, and several other threads, were deleted by the Moderators.

It is time to stop this or demonstrate proof!

I like the idea of maybe some bracing mini-wheels to pinch the wheel from the inside. They could be attenuated by the sudden loss of power that comes from a failure whether that failure comes from a giant pothole or showing off. The quest is for safety and that is to protect us from all possible snafus. BTW once you have cruised at 24mph, 26mph doesnt seem that much faster.

The idea is to keep the wheel as upright as possible and allow for slowing down enough to jump off, or dismount safely. It does seem odd that this idea isnt more welcomed. 

I ride on the streets of L.A., and contrary to logic which would lead one to think that our weather allows for great bicycle lanes, the bike lanes in L.A. are all after thoughts. In fact, they are so torn up and so rough I wouldnt let my Mother out on them. So anything to help me concentrate on the other drivers, busses, and people blindly exiting their vehicles is a big plus for me.

29 minutes ago, The Wizard said:

Once again, I claim it becomes Obvious while riding that this device will prevent Faceplants. But perhaps not falls.

Armchair quarterbacks don't know what their talking about. I have done it. I have seen it.

You know, one of the issues that you aren't getting the response you hoped for is exactly this. You repeat how it's obvious once people see your invention on an EUC that it prevents faceplants from a cut-off, and that you have tested it.

You see where I'm getting at? Testing a product that prevents faceplants from cut-offs requires faceplants and cut-offs. It is not at all obvious that you have actually tested your invention for anything other than that it can be attached to an EUC.

37 minutes ago, The Wizard said:

What do YOU suggest?

1. Define the exact issue we want to tackle. Faceplants from a technical malfunction, crashes from overleans, or sudden obstacles, etc?
  2. Analyze the problem. What are the main causes for the issue to happen?
  3. Inspect wether the issue has already been improved on current wheels. If not, what could/should manufacturers do to make it so?
  4. Define the goal. What needs to change, and how much?
  5. Limit the parameters for the possible solution. How much can it cost? Should the modification be installable by the end user?

Then we'd have a decent baseline for developing ideas into fruition, as the canvas is a whole lot clearer.

54 minutes ago, The Wizard said:

What do YOU offer?

I think the greatest issues today are lack of protective equipment, and irresponsible and/or uneducated riders. I do my best to educate these riders without preaching, as not to link protection or sensible riding with the crazy overprotective wimp.

17 minutes ago, The Wizard said:

Ok. Things have advanced today with Prototype #2. Riding, adjusting, more riding.

I am now directly asking for your (the readers) help.

How can I place or activate a device or timer to hit the OFF button at speed? Thus causing a CutOut. I need to be in the natural stand position so I can't just bend over and push the button. Just running into a concrete or wood barrier does not duplicate a CutOut.

On any decent wheel, the power button should do nothing once the motor is running past a couple of kmh/mph. You'd need a switch installed between the battery and the mainboard that can handle high currents (tens of amps) to cut power at will. That will be large and probably not meant to be handheld. The actual power button just gives a signal to the mainboard, and the logics there decide whether to react to the button push (ie. "you are moving, I'm not going to turn off").

This CutOut disaster is no joke. It is important enough to test and document in real time and in real world conditions. This could save lives. 

I will be the ginnie pig. I will throw myself out there for all to see. I will video tape the whole thing. My Skid works and I'll put my money where my mouth is.

It may take 10 revisions to my Prototype CutOut Skid but I'm doin it.

My Skid prevents CutOut FacePlants and I can prove it.

#1. How can I kill the motor at high or full speed?

Just ride faster than the machine can take, ie. above the the point where the motor back-EMF is higher than the battery voltage (minus losses in the drive train). Basically this means to keep leaning after tilt-back (once the tilt back is set to maximum speed). Also, that might kill your mainboard at some point. Have painkillers and EMT's ready.  ;) 

I will start slower and then work myself up.

For that, you'd need an actual kill switch.

#2. How can I design a landing area that won't kill me from the test falls? How do i fall? What do I fall on? Of course, I will have typical full pads and regular bike helmet on. But not Robocop armor.

Off into grass? Thick mud? Sand? Lay out 6 mattresses? Water landing? Overhead Zip Line and tether?

Usually the cut outs happen at fast speeds (especially with Gotways) on tarmac / asphalt surface. You need to (or at least definitely should) wear very heavy protection. Check EUC Extreme's gear for an example:

Even he broke a collar bone with that gear when crashing with a tree....

4 minutes ago, The Wizard said:

How can a non-computer person put multiple photos and Especially VIDEOs on this forum? No fancy wancy stuff... explain it to a 10 year old, please!

I have 26 photos and one 3:17 video to start with. But with more important Video's to come.

Thank you.

Find someone to do it for you, like a computer savvy person at the library?  Or rec center or senior center?  I have the same problem, bought a video editor that will make the video for me by putting a bunch of jump cuts into it, but I want to manually edit and haven't been able to figure it out yet.  

3 hours ago, The Wizard said:

I have a life. I am trying to get my photos and video on here. 

After I do, others can make and install their own Skids.

While they are riding they can test and confirm what I'm talking about.

They can alter and change things.

Submit YOUR ideas. Don't rely on an example I submitted. My protype is not the point at all. 

What do YOU suggest? What do YOU offer?

Let's solve this problem. We can do it together.

I get it now.  Like an electric tricycle.  Ridden backwards.  But the other way would work if enough weight was on the back.

9 hours ago, kasenutty said:

You remind me of someone :D

8 hours ago, steve454 said:

Exoplanet.

Spot on - Not sure it is actually him but it is certainly a close cousin. (IMHO)

Long verbose posts that are going nowhere. A “brilliant designer and visionary thinker” who doesn’t know how to post a picture on the internet or video on YouTube. making a “Huge contribution to safety” with this thread:

image.php?album_id=11&image_id=167&view=

On 6/24/2018 at 2:36 PM, The Wizard said:

Ok. Things have advanced today with Prototype #2. Riding, adjusting, more riding.

I am now directly asking for your (the readers) help.

How can I place or activate a device or timer to hit the OFF button at speed? Thus causing a CutOut. I need to be in the natural stand position so I can't just bend over and push the button. Just running into a concrete or wood barrier does not duplicate a CutOut.

This CutOut disaster is no joke. It is important enough to test and document in real time and in real world conditions. This could save lives. 

I will be the ginnie pig. I will throw myself out there for all to see. I will video tape the whole thing. My Skid works and I'll put my money where my mouth is.

It may take 10 revisions to my Prototype CutOut Skid but I'm doin it.

My Skid prevents CutOut FacePlants and I can prove it.

#1. How can I kill the motor at high or full speed? I will start slower and then work myself up.

#2. How can I design a landing area that won't kill me from the test falls? How do i fall? What do I fall on? Of course, I will have typical full pads and regular bike helmet on. But not Robocop armor.

Off into grass? Thick mud? Sand? Lay out 6 mattresses? Water landing? Overhead Zip Line and tether?

How can I test my CutOut Skid? More or less safely.

My CutOut Skid works.

I would use Math to test the device first. Find the average force of a 180lb rider falling forward at 30 mph falling from a height of 4 feet, since that will be where the balance of the weight will be greatest, and thats pretty much where your arms will be trying to brace yourself. If you can reduce the force with your device to a point that a rider will not break their wrists, that would be enough for most riders.

You will find this Forum more than half full of jaded know it alls who are afraid to live outside of the box, and chastise anyone else so bold as to do so. You are the bold one at this moment. Use the skepticism to hone your device. Keeping people aware that we are using a nascent technology that even under perfect circumstances can fail. Even if your device never comes to fruition, which I think is a small possibility, you have done a service to make riders more aware of the dangers that the newer better technology gives us a false sense of security. 

What I am confused about with respect to your device is, is this device for the manufacturers or an aftermarket device owners will install?

Archived