Gotway MSuper X arrived

7 minutes ago, US69 said:

Man, it is really hard todo such "far away diagnosis"...you have to look for burned parts...but i also dont see any on the photos.

When i remember it  correct, your Wheel is hard to move, and the only response you get from the Wheel is, instead of balancing, it  Beeps 4times in a row, correct?

Yeah it really is difficult to troubleshoot without hands-on-access. :( But Im not getting anywhere myself. It looks surprisingly neat in there, cant say its obvious what is wrong. 

The wheel is movable, but kinda "steps" along. There are 5 beeps when booting it up, and no balance. There is sort of a slight "kick" when it starts, and sometimes I´ve reproduced that and the five beeps when moving the case back and forth (as it doesnt balance) when it is powered on.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, US69 said:

Perhaps the sensor wires are just not plugged in correctly? Try to wiggle around on the plug that Comes in from the Motor line...some thin cables should go in the board on the very upside of the board. Maybe thats the Problem, i remember that we had something like this allready :-)

Hmm, alright I will have another go at it and touch stuff as well, this was mainly to photograph the mainboard on seller request. A little bit afraid to short anything, so I stayed away from it. :)

Appreciate your ideas.

20 hours ago, sWiFt said:

The wheel is movable, but kinda "steps" along.

Is this the situation when powered off as well? As I haven’t read about a powered off stepped wheel issue that was any other than a blown Mosfet. I think bad soldering or shorting could cause the same issue though.

Only 6 of the 12 Mosfets on the MSX are visible, the other 6 are behind the board. Mosfets are the row of 6 black boxes with a screw through each, to the left of the control board. Their soldering points are on the board, about 2cm to their right, 3 points per Mosfet. The solder points for the other 6 Mosfets are visible also.

I would carefully check the motor wires as well, their soldering points and connectors.

I hope you get a timely solution to this!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, sWiFt said:

Yeah it really is difficult to troubleshoot without hands-on-access. :( But Im not getting anywhere myself. It looks surprisingly neat in there, cant say its obvious what is wrong. 

The wheel is movable, but kinda "steps" along. There are 5 beeps when booting it up, and no balance. There is sort of a slight "kick" when it starts, and sometimes I´ve reproduced that and the five beeps when moving the case back and forth (as it doesnt balance) when it is powered on.

When you turn on the wheel, and it beeps 5-times at one beep per second, it means that the voltage is extremely low. Stupid question, but has the wheel been charged?

What does the app say, in terms of battery level? Assuming that you have charged the wheel and I got nothing useful from looking at the app information, I would open the wheel, disconnect the battery from the control board and read the voltage from the batteries. I would work my way back to the individual batteries (reading the voltage from each battery pack).

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, mrelwood said:

Is this the situation when powered off as well? As I haven’t read about a powered off stepped wheel issue that was any other than a blown Mosfet. I think bad soldering or shorting could cause the same issue though.

Only 6 of the 12 Mosfets on the MSX are visible, the other 6 are behind the board. Mosfets are the row of 6 black boxes with a screw through each, to the left of the control board. Their soldering points are on the board, about 2cm to their right, 3 points per Mosfet. The solder points for the other 6 Mosfets are visible also.

I would carefully check the motor wires as well, their soldering points and connectors.

Good tips, but based on the beep diagnostic code, he most likely has a battery problem.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/30/2018 at 4:06 PM, mrelwood said:

Thank you for the elaboration. Yes, it is stepping along when powered off. As the seller now has shipped me a new control board I will soon rip the old one out and check thoroughly for any sign of damage before replacing, sliming and massaging it. Im really curious what happened to the board. Also, if it burned out when the speed was 0 mph, is it really clever design to spike it with so much current?

On 8/30/2018 at 4:28 PM, Marty Backe said:

When you turn on the wheel, and it beeps 5-times at one beep per second, it means that the voltage is extremely low. Stupid question, but has the wheel been charged?

What does the app say, in terms of battery level? Assuming that you have charged the wheel and I got nothing useful from looking at the app information, I would open the wheel, disconnect the battery from the control board and read the voltage from the batteries. I would work my way back to the individual batteries (reading the voltage from each battery pack).

Yes, not fully but I gave it a few hours initially. It was at some 52% last time I checked it in the app, I charged it up from aprox 18% when it arrived, the tail lights also agree, showing 3 green dots now and previously it was only one. I dont remember the voltage readings tbh, and I dont have the wheel close by right now (at work) but when I initially checked out the app I saw nothing of that kind that would arise suspicion that figures were off. If anything, it would be the wattage spikes when only moving the wheel slightly, but I dont really know enough about these motors to draw any conclusion there. Its probably reasonable with a few hundred W to get it rolling without load.

Good advice tho, I will keep it in mind as a possible cause of the error when doing further troubleshooting. Thanks!

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

It really did put a smile on my face, though I couldn't get it over 30 kmh (no beeps or anything). My 1st impression getting on it was that it was way-sluggish (less torque) compared to my Ninebot one e+. Though the speed is great for any sort of commute or going anywhere without my dog.

So I googled to see if there was a speed limit by default when new. Apparently not. So I guess I just need to lean forward even more. I did already replace the peddles with the Nikola peddles yet my toes still hang over and I feel like I'm lacking the toe-leverage to get the speed up over 30 kph (I saw 28 a few times, and maybe the fastest spot in the vid is a little more).

Also, I didn't get a user manual with it.   Per comments above by sWiFt  I did notice the power button acts differently according to how long I hold it.  If I just hit it quickly it does what he was describing.  Holding it about 2 or 3 seconds actually powers on/off.  Anyone have a link to a manual (I haven't seen one via Google yet either).  Someone have one to scan/pdf here?

Edited by Elliott Reitz
add
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

So now I have 7 miles on it.  And it beeps at 30 kmh (18 mph).  Is there some way to set that higher?  In the app Alarm setting it says first class and second class alarms have been turned off. 

{add via edit:}

I solved the 30 kph beep... even though the app said the alarms were turned off I tapped that in the app like I was going to turn them on. The app status didn't change, but the wheel did. Using 2 hands I can lift the wheel and control its speed. Before app changing I confirmed the 30 kph. After app changing it now starts beeping at 70 kph and free spins up to 95 kph where it cuts out (stops very quickly too with force then goes limp).

I also notice that a quick-push of the power button cycles through more lighting modes than the app makes available.

Edited by Elliott Reitz

1 hour ago, Elliott Reitz said:

So now I have 7 miles on it.  And it beeps at 30 kmh (18 mph).  Is there some way to set that higher?  In the app Alarm setting it says first class and second class alarms have been turned off. 

{add via edit:}

I solved the 30 kph beep... even though the app said the alarms were turned off I tapped that in the app like I was going to turn them on. The app status didn't change, but the wheel did. Using 2 hands I can lift the wheel and control its speed. Before app changing I confirmed the 30 kph. After app changing it now starts beeping at 70 kph and free spins up to 95 kph where it cuts out (stops very quickly too with force then goes limp).

I also notice that a quick-push of the power button cycles through more lighting modes than the app makes available.

Only the Nikola allows the LED lights to be configured by the app. All previous wheels require you to use the power button to cycle through the modes.

The Gotway app does not receive mode status from the wheel. So when you start the app it will just show the settings that were last used. For instance, use WheelLog to reconfigure your wheel and then connect the Gotway app. The Gotway app will not show the new settings.

The Gotway app, in general, sucks and has always sucked.

• Upvote 1

You look happy! Congratulations.

Long press the power button to turn it on/off. Short pressing cycles through the light modes. There's the 1st and 2nd alarm (30 and 35kph) you can disable, there's the tiltback you can set to any speed or disable, and you can choose one of three ride modes. That is all.

7 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Only the Nikola allows the LED lights to be configured by the app. All previous wheels require you to use the power button to cycle through the modes.

The Gotway app does not receive mode status from the wheel. So when you start the app it will just show the settings that were last used. For instance, use WheelLog to reconfigure your wheel and then connect the Gotway app. The Gotway app will not show the new settings.

The Gotway app, in general, sucks and has always sucked.

Thanks Marty.  Actually I did change among 5 light modes with the app.  But the power button short press also cycles through the headlight on/off/flash.  The app did the headlight on/off/flash seperate from light modes but I had the impression there were more choices with the button. 

3 hours ago, Old Glider said:

Nice Upgrade wheel, I’m jealous, enjoy!

Thanks.  I should mention that tonight I went tailgating at the Cheryl Crow/Heart concert.  For that I chose my Ninebot One e+ because its more maneuverable and I was playing guitar while playing it.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Elliott Reitz said:

Thanks Marty.  Actually I did change among 5 light modes with the app.  But the power button short press also cycles through the headlight on/off/flash.  The app did the headlight on/off/flash seperate from light modes but I had the impression there were more choices with the button. 

Thanks.  I should mention that tonight I went tailgating at the Cheryl Crow/Heart concert.  For that I chose my Ninebot One e+ because its more maneuverable and I was playing guitar while playing it.  

The MSX now has 5-LED modes??? Mine only has three (on, rotating colors, off). And they are changeable via the app?

I guess Gotway is making changes across their entire wheel lineup.

11 minutes ago, Elliott Reitz said:

Have you gotten it above 20mph yet? You have probably the fastest wheel on the planet, so it should be hard to go slower than 20mph :P

• Like 2

Just now, Marty Backe said:

The MSX now has 5-LED modes??? Mine only has three (on, rotating colors, off). And they are changeable via the app?

I guess Gotway is making changes across their entire wheel lineup.

There are 5 LED modes in the app and they all worked.  Checking the button now...

There are 8 modes via the button which include the headlight on/off/flash.  When switched via button, some of the LED modes have headlight flashing (that can be changed independently via the app).

I've not yet tried the wheel log app. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Elliott Reitz said:

There are 5 LED modes in the app and they all worked.  Checking the button now...

There are 8 modes via the button which include the headlight on/off/flash.  When switched via button, some of the LED modes have headlight flashing (that can be changed independently via the app).

I've not yet tried the wheel log app. 

To clarify, when I talk about LED modes I'm not talking about the headlamp. I'm referring to the four vertical strips of colored LEDs.

I thought I had the most recent Gotway app which has at least 10 different LED patterns to pick from. Your app only has 5 modes?

Are you Apple or Google?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Marty Backe said:

Have you gotten it above 20mph yet? You have probably the fastest wheel on the planet, so it should be hard to go slower than 20mph :P

Not with me on it yet (I only had 7 miles on it before I fixed the 20mph beeps). I did notice I could get more speed by using a knee-squeeze to give it more forward tilt. 

I've upgraded to the Nikola peddles (bigger) but I still need to extend them for my big toe like I did on my Ninebot One e+.  Otherwise its like I'm standing on the ball of my foot for too long (I need my toes involved).

I'm wondering if medium mode would take less forward weight to get higher speeds w/o knee squeezing or adding toe-wedges like

1 minute ago, Marty Backe said:

To clarify, when I talk about LED modes I'm not talking about the headlamp. I'm referring to the four vertical strips of colored LEDs.

I thought I had the most recent Gotway app which has at least 10 different LED patterns to pick from. Your app only has 5 modes?

Are you Apple or Google?

Google-android.  Yes, my app only shows 5 modes.  The button does headlight flash/on/off, then 5 LED modes while changing the headlight flash in the process.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Elliott Reitz said:

I'm wondering if medium mode would take less forward weight to get higher speeds w/o knee squeezing or adding toe-wedges like

No reason to wonder, go ahead and try! Try the soft mode as well. I’m riding medium on the MSX, but sometimes the soft mode feels better with it’s almost lean assist type behaviour.

2 minutes ago, Elliott Reitz said:

Not with me on it yet (I only had 7 miles on it before I fixed the 20mph beeps). I did notice I could get more speed by using a knee-squeeze to give it more forward tilt. 

I've upgraded to the Nikola peddles (bigger) but I still need to extend them for my big toe like I did on my Ninebot One e+.  Otherwise its like I'm standing on the ball of my foot for too long (I need my toes involved).

On the flat and level (not climbing mountains) you should not have to squeeze the shell even a little to go 40mph. The only time I ever press on the side of any of my wheels it when ascending very steep mountain trails.

Sounds like you maybe need to unlearn whatever riding techniques you developed on the Ninebot.

3 minutes ago, Elliott Reitz said:

Google-android.  Yes, my app only shows 5 modes.  The button does headlight flash/on/off, then 5 LED modes while changing the headlight flash in the process.

This is very weird. I wonder if we are talking about the same thing? I'll have to post a screenshot.

13 minutes ago, mrelwood said:

No reason to wonder, go ahead and try! Try the soft mode as well. I’m riding medium on the MSX, but sometimes the soft mode feels better with it’s almost lean assist type behavior.

Good info, thanks.  I will give it a try soon.  I'm guessing it will let me get a little ahead of it with an initiated lean forward.

11 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

On the flat and level (not climbing mountains) you should not have to squeeze the shell even a little to go 40mph. The only time I ever press on the side of any of my wheels it when ascending very steep mountain trails.

Sounds like you maybe need to unlearn whatever riding techniques you developed on the Ninebot.

Well maybe.  Riding slow on the Ninebot I usually lock my knees unless I'm on grass or dealing with the many pot-holes of Syracuse NY (snowiest city, 115"/year average ).   During the 7 miles so far, with knees locked on smooth roads it seems to be over-stiff above 25 kph... bent knees didn't change that until I thought of the knee-squeeze and then I could really accelerate it... 

Also, when I jump on its super-sluggish/stiff compared to the 9-bot-e+... and the same knee squeeze/lean changes that impression too.  

edit/add:

FWIW, the 9-bot-e+ feels like it has way more torque within its speed range ... though it leans alot further forward in the process (so mrelwood's suggestion for medium or soft may fix my perceived issue).

Edited by Elliott Reitz
spelling, add
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

This is very weird. I wonder if we are talking about the same thing? I'll have to post a screenshot.

Yes, I believe we are.  I have only seen 5 LED modes, 3 headlight modes, 3 speed modes, 2 alarm modes to dissable.  The power-button has 8 modes that start with the 3 headlight modes w/ LEDs off, then 5 LED modes where a couple of them flash the headlight (when selected via the button). 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Elliott Reitz said:

Yes, I believe we are.  I have only seen 5 LED modes, 3 headlight modes, 3 speed modes, 2 alarm modes to dissable.  The power-button has 8 modes that start with the 3 headlight modes w/ LEDs off, then 5 LED modes where a couple of them flash the headlight (when selected via the button). 

We can stop talking about the button modes - that's maybe confusing the issue :)

It occurs to me - are you scrolling the screen that has the 5-modes? Maybe you're not scrolling it and therefore don't see all 10+ modes?

• Like 1