My MCM5 Triumphs, Tribulations, and Failures

Marty Backe

19 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

Yah....my MCM arrived this morning! With the battery depleted down to 73% I still decided to ride for just a few hundred feet to test how the new wheel felt without any calf padding.

27808148737_ba6ac664c1_b.jpg

All I can say is @Marty Backe must be working out with Susan Summers Thigh Master. Riding straight is fine but when performing a few sharp turns my legs slipped. So my first modification was installing calf pads. 

40867717510_3c4031d658_b.jpg

I also installed a strip of red protective molding as the pedal grips lie directly on the plastic shell when they are in the stowed position. It would not take very long for surface abrasion to begin appearing of the shell without the molding. 

41777600165_a07fc19068_b.jpg

The MCM5 is currently charging. Once done I’ll test it out.

Good idea with that red molding - think I'll do something similar, although I care less about the final looks than others do.

I don't know, just must be my riding style. I feel no need to even attempt to grip the wheel when turning. When doing tight turns all I do is let the wheel rest against one of my legs. Do gripping, ever. Hmmm.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, yourtoys7 said:

@Rehab1  yes, would put pads right away as well, I can only imagine how slippery it could get. Not sure how @Marty Backe

Unless you're climbing a hill I'm not sure what the point of pads are? Sure, if the pads protect your legs from the shell, great. But the MCM5 shell tapers away from your legs so there's zero reason for protection padding. I don't squeeze my wheels when riding or turning, so for the MCM5 they aren't needed. The fact that Gotway didn't put pads on this wheel makes me think that I'm not alone in my riding style.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Maybe it's the mTen3 I ride most often removing the option since it's short, but I've never used my legs to grip the EUC.  Seems like it would reduce control... now that being said, I've been known to grip with my ankles.

22 hours ago, beast@tanagra said:

Well, shoot. I couldn't have known back when I was ordering my V10F as my second wheel, but I'm not liking the whole side pad experience, as nice as the V10's pads are. Granted, I've only got a few hours on the machine, and I'm still optimistic that I can tame it to my liking, but my difficulties adjusting to it make me really jealous of your MCM5. The most MTen3-like ride possible in a 14"+ wheel with a tready tire? Yes, please!

Fingers crossed for a bonus I might get at work in a couple months :)

I find the side pads stick out so much it makes it difficult to make a sharp turn unless my feet are sitting towards the edge of the comically big pedals. 

22 hours ago, Mike Paolini said:

Ditto,  I just bought the V10F myself and have mixed feelings on it.   It's better than a lot of the EUC's out there and that I've ridden, but it drives and stops like an SUV, and it's having issues here in the hot Texas weather for me over heating on hills with my 210 pound + gear frame (not sure if it is just mine or all v10F's).   I can tell you mTen3 and the KingSongs I've ridden have no issues on the hill, and (so far in the heat).

So I think I'm looking to replace the V10F with something more fun and small and suitable for me.   Would love to know that this one handled say 230 pounds of payload (3 litter Camelbak, safety gear, lockup chain, etc).

I myself am having V10F buyers remorse after seeing @Marty Backe's MCM5 hill climbing videos. I did some mountain 800ft mountain climbs with the V10F and found it lacking in power and nimbleness. Probably need to get used to a 16" wheel as i've only ridden 10 and 14 in the past. But I like the mten3's nimbleness so much I keep thinking IF ONLY they made a slightly bigger bump absorbing wheel that had more climbing power and doesn't overheat.... if ONLY.

1 hour ago, yourtoys7 said:

@Rehab1  yes, would put pads right away as well, I can only imagine how slippery it could get. Not sure how @Marty Backe

When I first learned how to ride an EUC, I learned on the padless 9bot S1. I ended up using thin soccer shin pads faced inwards. But when I got better, I found I really didn't need the pads, they just got in the way esp when i wanted to do sharp turns. You should just try some cheap amazon $12 shin pads before you commit to permanently mounting stuff to the side of your uni. my 2 cents.

• Like 1

Not that I need another wheel as FOUR in two months since I started this addiction is enough, but where are you guys getting it in the USA? I don't see it on the ewheels site? @Marty Backe and @Rehab1. The only place I found it was on ebay for about $1320 for the 800W version.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, maltocs said:

Not that I need another wheel as FOUR in two months since I started this addiction is enough, but where are you guys getting it in the USA? I don't see it on the ewheels site? @Marty Backe and @Rehab1. The only place I found it was on ebay for about $1320 for the 800W version.

EWheels is selling them. A few days ago I think he still had couple, but @Jason McNeil said he was placing a larger order with Gotway.

Contact them via e-mail or chat directly for availability. I think his price is $1175 for the 650wh.

It saddens me to learn that I could have gotten an 800wh version :crying:

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Marty Backe said:

EWheels is selling them. A few days ago I think he still had couple, but @Jason McNeil said he was placing a larger order with Gotway.

Contact them via e-mail or chat directly for availability. I think his price is $1175 for the 650wh.

It saddens me to learn that I could have gotten an 800wh version :crying:

What is the highest battery size?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Kens said:

What is the highest battery size?

Well, apparently 800wh.  My 650wh version gives me a 25-mile range which is actually decent for this size wheel. But I wouldn't mind having a 35-mile wheel.

• Upvote 2

Too bad there isn't a simple external power port that could easily extend your range as far as you want it.  Carry a spare pack or two, and call it done.  :whistling:  It would just need a quick disconnect just in case of a fall so there's no damage to the cable and doesn't yank on you.  That would keep the wheel light and compact on those days when you don't need gazillion miles of range.

Regarding riding technique, I lightly grip onto my wheel sometimes.  When cruising on smooth terrain there's light contact I find, but if there's bumps I'm gripping on for dear life!  After going over a unseen dip in the sidewalk and getting some air time on my Ninebot One E+ (with me leaving the pedals airborne) and landing more forwards and shifted out of place making braking very difficult, I've learned to get a grip.  I'm surprised that you don't need to grip on considering the rough off-roading that you do. 

I remember @EUC Extreme mentioned that he grips his wheel after I asked him whether he thought a velcro or physical clip in lock mechanism like on a ski or a racing bike would be beneficial to his riding.  He said there's no way he wanted to be attached to the wheel as he depends on running off it in the event of an impending crash.

Edited by Hunka Hunka Burning Love
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Too bad there isn't a simple external power port that could easily extend your range as far as you want it.

What if we could plug into spring-loaded trolley poles that draw power from overhead wires... Most efficient personal/mass transit line ever! :efef50e3ba:

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, RayRay said:

What if we could plug into spring-loaded trolley poles that draw power from overhead wires... Most efficient personal/mass transit line ever! :efef50e3ba:

You mean like this?

Edited by Kens

10 minutes ago, Kens said:

You mean like this?

Yes. Either trolley way or 'bumper car' style (with freedom to choose own path)...  Think of how efficient it would be. :D

Edited by RayRay
ebikes too

21 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Too bad there isn't a simple external power port that could easily extend your range as far as you want it.  Carry a spare pack or two, and call it done.  :whistling:  It would just need a quick disconnect just in case of a fall so there's no damage to the cable and doesn't yank on you.  That would keep the wheel light and compact on those days when you don't need gazillion miles of range.

Regarding riding technique, I lightly grip onto my wheel sometimes.  When cruising on smooth terrain there's light contact I find, but if there's bumps I'm gripping on for dear life!  After going over a unseen dip in the sidewalk and getting some air time on my Ninebot One E+ (with me leaving the pedals airborne) and landing more forwards and shifted out of place making braking very difficult, I've learned to get a grip.  I'm surprised that you don't need to grip on considering the rough off-roading that you do. 

I remember @EUC Extreme mentioned that he grips his wheel after I asked him whether he thought a velcro or physical clip in lock mechanism like on a ski or a racing bike would be beneficial to his riding.  He said there's no way he wanted to be attached to the wheel as he depends on running off it in the event of an impending crash.

Maybe that's why I was ejected from the wheel as shown in Part 2 :confused1:

I miss the old Lego Hunka :whistling:

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Maybe that's why I was ejected from the wheel as shown in Part 2 :confused1:

I miss the old Lego Hunka :whistling:

You fell because you were so ecstatic that you made it to the top staring at your destination with this powerful wheel. This is what happened to Deborah Kerr when she looked up into the sky at the empire state building and got run over in an affair to remember. Terry McKay: Oh, it's nobody's fault but my own! I was looking up... it was the nearest thing to heaven! 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, maltocs said:

When I first learned how to ride an EUC, I learned on the padless 9bot S1. I ended up using thin soccer shin pads faced inwards. But when I got better, I found I really didn't need the pads, they just got in the way esp when i wanted to do sharp turns.

During the first week learning to ride EUCs on my MTen3, I really felt like I was missing something by not easily being able to make contact with the upper pads. I then went about two weeks using some removable pad extensions, which, at the the time, really improved my stability in rough terrain and helped me mount. By the end of that two weeks, though, I was also starting to feel like they were in the way, impinging on my agility and causing unnecessary discomfort. I had an on/off, love/hate relationship for another few days and eventually tossed them for good to reach new levels of carving pleasure. I wouldn't dream of putting them back on now.

The inner calves of the human body just don't feel well-designed to handle pressure, and I'm excited that Marty can do so much without side pads on this new wheel. That said, I think it's safe to say that going padless probably rules out a great deal of freestyle shenanigans. It seems like most of @Hirsute's training videos include a diagram of the calves being an important point of contact. Any kind of ride where you catch air sounds problematic, and I'm betting it would be difficult to, say, bunny hop a curb (although foot-level grips like on the MTen3 might be enough and I, for one, am not looking to hop curbs anyway.)

So I guess the moral of the story is, as usual, that there's no perfect wheel for everything? Sounds like the MCM5 hits a pretty big sweet spot for use cases I like, though. Very cool.

2 hours ago, maltocs said:

I myself am having V10F buyers remorse after seeing @Marty Backe's MCM5 hill climbing videos.

I was warming to my V10F yesterday. It was starting to feel like a really promising playground for deliberately asymmetrical foot placement a la @houseofjob. I'm also doing more night riding in the heat of summer, and the V10 headlight is godly. It's also just such a silky, elevated ride: a high royal chariot, on which I walk like an Egyptian. Until I heard the grinding sounds of bearing failure, my buyer's remorse was the good kind -- wanting both wheels. Now I just want something that works ?

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, beast@tanagra said:

During the first week learning to ride EUCs on my MTen3, I really felt like I was missing something by not easily being able to make contact with the upper pads. I then went about two weeks using some removable pad extensions, which, at the the time, really improved my stability in rough terrain and helped me mount. By the end of that two weeks, though, I was also starting to feel like they were in the way, impinging on my agility and causing unnecessary discomfort. I had an on/off, love/hate relationship for another few days and eventually tossed them for good to reach new levels of carving pleasure. I wouldn't dream of putting them back on now.

The inner calves of the human body just don't feel well-designed to handle pressure, and I'm excited that Marty can do so much without side pads on this new wheel. That said, I think it's safe to say that going padless probably rules out a great deal of freestyle shenanigans. It seems like most of @Hirsute's training videos include a diagram of the calves being an important point of contact. Any kind of ride where you catch air sounds problematic, and I'm betting it would be difficult to, say, bunny hop a curb (although foot-level grips like on the MTen3 might be enough and I, for one, am not looking to hop curbs anyway.)

So I guess the moral of the story is, as usual, that there's no perfect wheel for everything? Sounds like the MCM5 hits a pretty big sweet spot for use cases I like, though. Very cool.

I was warming to my V10F yesterday. It was starting to feel like a really promising playground for deliberately asymmetrical foot placement a la @houseofjob. I'm also doing more night riding in the heat of summer, and the V10 headlight is godly. It's also just such a silky, elevated ride: a high royal chariot, on which I walk like an Egyptian. Until I heard the grinding sounds of bearing failure, my buyer's remorse was the good kind -- wanting both wheels. Now I just want something that works ?

Yeah, no perfect wheel for all riding styles, that's for sure. Isn't it great that we have so much to choose from? :D

Agreed that the MCM5, as outfitted without pads, is probably not ideal for tricksters and jumpers. Currently I'm neither, so it's scratching my trail riding itch perfectly :thumbup:

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Well, apparently 800wh.  My 650wh version gives me a 25-mile range which is actually decent for this size wheel. But I wouldn't mind having a 35-mile wheel.

You can always sell it to me for good discount, lol. Than get 850 wh. model

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Mike Paolini said:

All aboard the hype train, I'm the instigator on the 800wh versions poking Jason. Now he's gone and ordered a batch, and I've had put my money where my mouth is.  I'll let you know what I thinking a little over 2 weeks fingers crossed.

Also putting the v10F up for sale at this time.

I'll trade you my 650 for your 800. Mine's broken-in, which should be worth 150wh to you ;)

4 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Sunset ride at the beach

IMG_20180608_182142821_HDR

LOL. That sign. :roflmao:

(You should take another picture next to that sign while holding a water bottle in a paper bag and pretending your selfie stick is a fishing pole...)

• Like 1

@Marty Backe Looks like you are still enjoying the MCM5, Are you just in honeymoon city right now or has the bloom started to fade?  Has the MCM5 "retired" any other EUC's for you yet?  

Or perhaps asked a different way, I wonder if you would rank your EUC's in order of preference for which you'd grab to go for a ride most often?  

Or maybe how you think of them and choose which your are riding which day for what reason?

(Hoping for delivery on my MCM5 about in 3 weeks).

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

@Rehab1 So the damn thing must be charged by now, care to offer some initial  impressions?

Also meant to ask, if you could link that red protective molding, I think I want to copy that idea!

Edited by Mike Paolini
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1