My MCM5 Triumphs, Tribulations, and Failures

57 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

Damn you all! This forum should be called EUC Enablers.

1 MCM5 on the way from our neighborhood @Jason McNeil ?

Expect a whole YouTube treatment ala the Z *smh.

I'm happy for you.  As saying goes cry once and forget about it... Looking forward to your EXCELLENT reviews for MCM5.  Red led light suggestion you've made makes MCM5 look as if it's LIVE, it is so cool... ;)

Edited by Mark Lee
  • Upvote 1

On 6/27/2018 at 1:11 AM, Marty Backe said:

I've ridden the GT16. It's a bit long in the tooth now. Unfortunately I doubt another GT16 will ever cross my path :(  I was getting close to buying one but then the Tesla was released.

Ah, but @Marty Backe have you seen this:  https://evnerds.com/electric-vehicles/e-unicycle-hoverboard-news/rockwheel-gt18-electric-unicycle-announcement-by-rockwheel-electric-unicycles/

I feel it's only fair to put it on your radar given what you've done to us!  (Looking forward to your review ;) )

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mike Paolini said:

I feel it's only fair to put it on your radar given what you've done to us!  (Looking forward to your review ;) )

LOVE IT!!! smells like payback... THANK GOD I am not in the market for another 18"...:efee6b18f3:

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Marcglider said:

LOVE IT!!! smells like payback... THANK GOD I am not in the market for another 18"...:efee6b18f3:

Ohh but you WILL, once you see the positive review.  :roflmao:

Edited by Mark Lee
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, Mark Lee said:

Ohh but you WILL, once you see the positive review.  :roflmao:

You may be wrong on this one Mark... Seems the extremely high dosages of "EIGHTEEN INCH ANTI-VENOM" I have been receiving recently seem to be effective at the moment...  Once the Lab has perfected the fourteen and sixteen inch version, I should be Home Free... :efefae4566:

• Like 1

Would this MCM5 be a suitable wheel for a 50 kg female newbie rider? She’s learning now with my old S2. She didn’t like my V10F as it is too heavy for her to control (at least at the beginning). 

I’m also looking for a second and very different wheel for myself besides the V10F. I think that wheel satisfies my big wheel needs and the second wheel should probably be a smaller one. You know, to get all the range of fun factor and having something easier for errands etc. Mten3 with a trolley handle would be nice also, but maybe too extreme. So maybe a 14” for me to have fun and her to ride with me.

I’d buy the V5F if they’d upgrade it. Now it’s too old. Ks-14S is another option. 

Edited by UniVehje

10 hours ago, Marcglider said:

You may be wrong on this one Mark... Seems the extremely high dosages of "EIGHTEEN INCH ANTI-VENOM" I have been receiving recently seem to be effective at the moment...  Once the Lab has perfected the fourteen and sixteen inch version, I should be Home Free... :efefae4566:

Sorry there's no cure made... I have exact same addiction, as you can see from my signature...:D

p.s. MSX is "NINETEEN INCH:w00t2:

Edited by Mark Lee
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, UniVehje said:

Would this MCM5 be a suitable wheel for a 50 kg female newbie rider? She’s learning now with my old S2. She didn’t like my V10F as it is too heavy for her to control (at least at the beginning). 

I’m also looking for a second and very different wheel for myself besides the V10F. I think that wheel satisfies my big wheel needs and the second wheel should probably be a smaller one. You know, to get all the range of fun factor and having something easier for errands etc. Mten3 with a trolley handle would be nice also, but maybe too extreme. So maybe a 14” for me to have fun and her to ride with me.

I’d buy the V5F if they’d upgrade it. Now it’s too old. Ks-14S is another option. 

14S is a great wheel especially with 840 wh battery (seems dated).  However MCM5 is noticeably smoother, as with ACM2 more power seems to equate to smoothness and forgiving (higher torque).  Looks will be much more appreciated by a lady, she will be motivated to be on it.  Besides when she's not using it, you will have premier wheel for you to enjoy.  In beautiful Finland with @mrelwood and you having two new Gotways. :D

Edited by Mark Lee
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, UniVehje said:

Would this MCM5 be a suitable wheel for a 50 kg female newbie rider? She’s learning now with my old S2.

The obvious concern would be the padlessness, but you could of course add pads if she is having trouble (most likely with mounting?).

Having now taught myself, my wife, my 14-year-old, and my 7-year-old to ride on my MTen3 (where the pads are pretty unusable while riding), I don't really think pads are vital, even for learners, though it may take longer to feel stable and be able to free mount.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Still waiting on my MCM5 to arrive, so I'll post the following question to those that have them:

1) Is there a good way to bike lock this little guy up?  The handle doesn't go all the way through so I'm thinking you are left with just the trolly and that isn't very secure?  Do you know if it is reasonably to drill a hole through the case at the handle to make a secure latch point (or are they actually using the space)?

2) Normally for night rides I attach a Cycle Beam flashlight to the handle as a better headlight, any good thought on how this might be attached given the lack of handle?  (I guess same question as above).

3) Is the cut-off for the wheel spin a sensor for when it's picked up, or an actual button?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Mike Paolini said:

Still waiting on my MCM5 to arrive, so I'll post the following question to those that have them:

1) Is there a good way to bike lock this little guy up?  The handle doesn't go all the way through so I'm thinking you are left with just the trolly and that isn't very secure?  Do you know if it is reasonably to drill a hole through the case at the handle to make a secure latch point (or are they actually using the space)?

2) Normally for night rides I attach a Cycle Beam flashlight to the handle as a better headlight, any good thought on how this might be attached given the lack of handle?  (I guess same question as above).

3) Is the cut-off for the wheel spin a sensor for when it's picked up, or an actual button?

You point out the one disadvantage to the MCM5 handle design - no easy way to attach anything to the handle (speaker, lights, etc) or I suppose a lock.

I certainly think that you could drill or Dremel a hole in the shell. There may be water/dirt infiltration issues after doing so, but those could probably be overcome by proper sealing of the edges of the new hole.

The spin sensor is a button. It's very reliable and easy to activate.

35 minutes ago, Mike Paolini said:

I've read a suggestion on this Forum to drill a hole in the pedal and lock it up.  Cutoff actuator is a lever under the handle so yes, it is a form of a button.

Edited by Mark Lee

Ah, I like the idea of drilling the peddle for the lockup option!  It will keep honest people (at least those lacking tools to unscrew the peddle) honest.  Thank you.  

(Thanks Marty for pointing out a hole in the shell risks water - that still may be the way to go if I could rubber gasket and seal it as it will allow a spot for the flashlight to be strapped on as well).

I suppose when it gets here I'll look to the various GoPro like mounting options for speaker/flashlight vs the hole in the chassis and sealing it.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Mike Paolini said:

Just make sure to minimize time that your MCM 5 is locked up outside in public. Bike thieves can get it easily if they want it, and it's going to attract a lot of attention and covetousness. Best to keep it at your side whenever possible.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

21 hours ago, Mike Paolini said:

After speaking with Jason the other day, it seems allot of the popularity of the Mten3 is that it is so light, and fits nicely in a small backpack... maybe your MCM5 will need a brother like mine after it is delivered :D... If I recall correctly, there is a run currently in production and he has 30 coming when they are completed... :laughbounce2:

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

MCM5 is an elegant wheel IMO, if you guys have a wife, girlfriend, daughter.  Good luck riding it. :whistling:

Edited by Mark Lee
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...