My MCM5 Triumphs, Tribulations, and Failures

1 minute ago, Mike Paolini said:

I can get that, but on the other hand we all have a favorite pair of jeans or sneakers...

As I've said many times here, my favorite-favorite wheel is the ACM2 :thumbup:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I remain fascinated by this wheel. How's she holding up to the abuse? Before you had taken her into the hills, you had commented on one of your youtubes that it didn't seem like it would be as durable as, say, your 14S. Are there trail conditions (besides very long distance) where you would feel better on one of your other wheels?

• Like 1

On 6/11/2018 at 11:28 AM, beast@tanagra said:

I remain fascinated by this wheel. How's she holding up to the abuse? Before you had taken her into the hills, you had commented on one of your youtubes that it didn't seem like it would be as durable as, say, your 14S. Are there trail conditions (besides very long distance) where you would feel better on one of your other wheels?

I now think it's a wheel that I would ride anywhere. I've dropped it multiple times on trails, etc. Seems tough enough to me.

The more I ride wheels and different wheels, the more I feel that they are all tough. Some shells might not be as tough as others but the basic functioning of the wheel (any wheel) can take lots of abuse.

Edited by Marty Backe
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

On 6/11/2018 at 2:37 PM, Marty Backe said:

I now think it's a wheel that I would ride anywhere. I've dropped it multiple times on trails, etc. Seems tough enough to me.

The more I ride wheels and different wheels, the more I feel that they are are tough. Some shells might not be as tough as others but the basic functioning of the wheel (any wheel) can take lots of abuse.

What did your buddy Alsayyad  with the MSX think of your MCM5 when you switched wheels?

Edited by Scouts Honor

8 hours ago, Scouts Honor said:

What did your buddy Alsayyad  with the MSX think of your MCM5 when you switched wheels?

I think he liked it enough, but that wasn't the focus of the meetup so we didn't discuss the MCM5 much.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Mrd777 said:

I just want to reiterate what @Marty Backe has been reporting on this MCM5. I've only had it for a few days now, buying after I turned in my failed V10F. The wheel is fantastic, absolutely loving it,  Its a fast and agile cat.   I haven't taken it on long ventures yet,  however it certainly is a winner for quick jaunts in NYC. 

I'm so glad I purchased it.

Thanks Marty to opening my eyes to this one!

Still waiting on MCM5 to arrive, so this make crazy happy to see.

Also just sold my V10F because I was unhappy with it's characteristics.  What was the failure on yours?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mrd777 said:

I just want to reiterate what @Marty Backe has been reporting on this MCM5. I've only had it for a few days now, buying after I turned in my failed V10F. The wheel is fantastic, absolutely loving it,  Its a fast and agile cat.   I haven't taken it on long ventures yet,  however it certainly is a winner for quick jaunts in NYC. 

I'm so glad I purchased it.

Thanks Marty to opening my eyes to this one!

Great news. Nice to have another MCM5 owner in the group to espouse it's virtues :thumbup:

I love your description, "fast and agile cat" :D

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mike Paolini said:

Still waiting on MCM5 to arrive, so this make crazy happy to see.

Also just sold my V10F because I was unhappy with it's characteristics.  What was the failure on yours?

Definitely something about the V10F that makes one want an MCM5! I hope to be in this club soon, but I think I'll need to wait for the slowboat from China to bring eWheels its (800Wh!) shipment.

Got my Glide 2 (V5F) yesterday for the kids, took it for a test spin after inflating and calibrating, and really fell in love with the 14-inch category. I found it much more intuitive, coming from the MTen3. My son, also an MTen3 native, took to it immediately, and was looking like a pro within a couple of hours.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, beast@tanagra said:

Definitely something about the V10F that makes one want an MCM5! I hope to be in this club soon, but I think I'll need to wait for the slowboat from China to bring eWheels its (800Wh!) shipment.

Got my Glide 2 (V5F) yesterday for the kids, took it for a test spin after inflating and calibrating, and really fell in love with the 14-inch category. I found it much more intuitive, coming from the MTen3. My son, also an MTen3 native, took to it immediately, and was looking like a pro within a couple of hours.

I hate you ;)

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

I hate you ;)

You may still have your victory. There's a real chance that I succumb to impatience and blow my budget on an ACM2 before the slow boat arrives. (It would be nice to have a Mt.Wilson-class wheel in the family...)

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I was wondering about the ACM2-thing, like why would Marty prefer a bulky box-type 2014 / 340Wh wheel capable of something like 25-28km/h... then realized I'm thinking of MCM2   :D

Edited by esaj
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, beast@tanagra said:

I opt'd to cut 3 weeks off the shipping for a few dollars more, so I'm hoping to form my own impressions end of June.  And I know if I hate it, I can always sell that 800Wh version to Marty. :)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

It's more perky in its acceleration and much more agile. Certainly seems to run cooler since the KS14S overheated midway up Overheat-Hill yet the MCM5 only got into the low 50's at the top of the hill. Hard to quantify for sure, but I get the sense that the MCM5 has a lot more torque than the KS14S.

Can't we quantify that a bit with Engine size given they are both 14 inch wheels?  

The KS14s is an 800W motor with a maximum of 840KW backing it up.  The MCM5 is a 1500W motor with a maximum of 800KW.  So motor tweaks aside, and assuming nobodies lying and everybody is using the same math, generally the MCM5 ought to have 2x the ummphf.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, Mike Paolini said:

Can't we quantify that a bit with Engine size given they are both 14 inch wheels?  

The KS14s is an 800W motor with a maximum of 840KW backing it up.  The MCM5 is a 1500W motor with a maximum of 800KW.  So motor tweaks aside, and assuming nobodies lying and everybody is using the same math, generally the MCM5 ought to have 2x the ummphf.

Sounds good to me :thumbup: That's nothing to sneeze at.

• Like 1