New GT18 Wheel Coming

4 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

SWEET!!! SEXY!!! WIDE!!! :dribble:

Please have a big battery, please have a big battery, please have a big battery.

Looks like it has room for batteries. No internal trolley handle to get in the way :thumbup:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, who_the said:

Renderings look fabulous. Clever handle, recessed into to edge and angled, reminds me a lot of the in-built handle in @Austin Marhold's Pulse Glider preliminary design. 

Handle? What handle? I'm looking at the photos again but I can't see anything. Help me out :confused1:

• Upvote 1

I see no handle in the renderings. The video is obviously just a prototype, isn't it?

5 hours ago, who_the said:

Renderings look fabulous. Clever handle, recessed into to edge and angled, reminds me a lot of the in-built handle in @Austin Marhold's Pulse Glider preliminary design

Can you elaborate?

--

I guess the two openings above the tire are from an air duct to get air directly under the board which is in the top of the wheel. That would allow for a heatsink with direct airflow from/to the outside without dirt from the tire well being a problem. So basically a separate vent through the wheel, above the tire well, with the board's heatsink being directly in it. Quite clever actually!

Early talk was about liquid cooling for the GT18, and while I think that is probably unrealistic, it shows that RW think good cooling is important.

Looks like two handles, front and back.  

2 hours ago, steve454 said:
Looks like two handles, front and back.  :confused1:

Rather obvious, but @who_the was referring to the rendered photos, not the video.

33 minutes ago, who_the said:

I'm referring to the fancy CAD renderings. My guess is that the horizontal openings at the front and back are carry handles. I've seen (and used) a very similar handle on the Pulse Glider. The angle of the handle allows the weight of the wheel to balance directly underneath. It was very novel on Austin's wheel and worked extremely well. I assumed those openings were handles since there isn't a handle anywhere else on the rendering, and they appear to be rather beefy and hand-sized. Trolley handle or not for pushing, I can't imagine a wheel having now way to lift or carry it, other than bear hug-style, even for short distances.

rockwheel-pulse-handle.thumb.jpg.97e5cbb90b4d53dfcd2cc8311b8638e9.jpg

Ah, now I understand. You didn't mean trolley handles, but grab handles. Interesting.

• Like 1

Holy smokes, I live the looks of this beast.   Almost makes me regret just ordering a Gt16 but then again it will probably be a hood half year before this becomes available to regular mortals like myself.  

• Like 2

The GT18 had been rumored on the French forum I think a week ago, but without the  rendering. They only mentioned it as being in development with the only concept design shown in the video. Glad to see this though. Real interesting.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Scatcat said:

I do hope they get it right the first time this time. The GT16 would have been a much more successful wheel if the V1 never happened and the first wheel hitting the market would have been the V2. Note that since the V2 came out, shit about fried boards and sudden cut-outs have been remarkably scarce... On the forum we've had one case of water damage, one case with pedal arms that wasn't up to scratch, and a one or two cases where one or the other of the lights were not working correctly. Mostly everything have been fine, except for the shell being a bit too flexible.

This time they have to make sure there is no V1. If this comes out in time, with good and dependable quality, with nice power, speed and range, at a reasonable price, it might well be a real hit. The firmware in my GT16V2 is brilliant and the power is fantastic. If I can combine that awesome feeling with an 18*3" wheel, a stiffer shell and more range, I'm sold.

The Forum needs more Rockwheel fanboys like you @Scatcat :thumbup:

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

On 4/27/2018 at 5:14 PM, meepmeepmayer said:

Guess the carry handle makes more sense than an air duct. Wondering how well they work. But it is a really interesting new idea.

Actually, one thing doesn't exclude the other. It might well be both a carry handle AND an air duct. I do however hope they don't leave a hole right into the controller box this time... :) 

• Upvote 1

On 4/27/2018 at 5:14 PM, meepmeepmayer said:

Guess the carry handle makes more sense than an air duct. Wondering how well they work. But it is a really interesting new idea.

it's interesting, but IMO a lack of a typical handle will make this wheel really cumbersome on a daily basis. Most current wheels allow you to turn off/on the wheel, pick it up, fold/open the trolley handle with one hand only, where Inmotion's disengage switch adds even more convenience. During a daily commute I typically just use one hand for the wheel, while carrying a train card, bag, coffee etc in the other. With this concept you'll always have to use two hands to turn it on/off and hold it/lift it/put it down. Holding up the wheel just before stepping on it might also be awkward. but I guess you can only find out by trying it.

+carrying the wheel with your hand turned 90degrees is also way less comfortable

Edited by Tomek
  • Like 1