New GT18 Wheel Coming

On 6/3/2019 at 9:58 PM, Peteshmete said:

JEAN , I forgot to ask if you would know a website with accurate Rockwheel info...such as v3 had THESE chages done ...and the 1036wh version was only since v3(so if we see a 1036 for sale it should most likely be a v3)?

TIA

Just saw this, the mention didn't work. 

I'm asking Rockwheel 

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Still eagerly waiting for a new rockwheel release! Just tried the Gotway nikola for the first time today after reading how responsive and agile it is, and it just wouldn't do it for me.. so much wasted space, pedals dipping when you turn, way too heavy with no reasonable bonus in performance over the GT16.. Perhaps the only excuse to get one is that you can get better sustained speeds with bigger tires but I am already getting 50+km/h sustained effortlessly with my 2.5 inch tyre gt16, which seems to be on par with what others are getting with their MSX and Nikolas.. 

Please hurry up Rockwheel I need a new upgrade so I can inject it straight into my veins! Its an addiction only you can satisfy 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Tinkererboi said:

Still eagerly waiting for a new rockwheel release! Just tried the Gotway nikola for the first time today after reading how responsive and agile it is, and it just wouldn't do it for me.. so much wasted space, pedals dipping when you turn, way too heavy with no reasonable bonus in performance over the GT16.. Perhaps the only excuse to get one is that you can get better sustained speeds with bigger tires but I am already getting 50+km/h sustained effortlessly with my 2.5 inch tyre gt16, which seems to be on par with what others are getting with their MSX and Nikolas.. 

You're doing sustained 50+km/h on your GT16?  That doesn't sound very safe...I thought around 48 was the max safe limit?  Plus can you fit a 2.5" tire on the GT16?  Will it rub?  I just got my GT16 not long ago.. not interested in any of the newer wheels at all.  They all look too big and dorky to me.

9 hours ago, BA-B8 said:

You're doing sustained 50+km/h on your GT16?  That doesn't sound very safe...I thought around 48 was the max safe limit?  Plus can you fit a 2.5" tire on the GT16?  Will it rub?  I just got my GT16 not long ago.. not interested in any of the newer wheels at all.  They all look too big and dorky to me.

Haha 48 was the max speed for the v1 62v version. Manufacturer states 55-60 as the max for 84v version. Never really hit 60 except for a few occasions when I wasnt paying attention to my pebble watch. Yep 2.5" fits perfectly. I use a korean brand called Seorae cause it doesnt have the ugly chaoyang logo or bright yellow "e-bike pro" print. In my opinion its grippier as well. Not sure if you can get that where you are but they come in basically the same tread patterns as chaoyang and cst. Didnt change anything to make it work except remove the useless sliding mudguard. Made my own externally mounted one out of flexible plastic and loving it. Will post pics when I figure out how.

Agree on the big and dorky designs on other brands. Whats with all the empty space? I want full tire clearance like on the MSX and rockwheel so I never have to worry about bashing the shell going down stairs too slowly, and a compact body so you can actually jump with it comfortably to clear unexpected ditches that are too big for even 18" wheels to roll over. Saved my life several times already when I spotted ditches too late.

@Hunka Hunka Burning LoveNot at the current prices on Aliexpress. Maybe thats why it isnt a popular wheel. Even the Tesla with its similar specs and improved modern hardware is cheaper. Btw update: just decided to swap to 2.5 inch tyres on the older gt16, a V2 dated 2017 june, and it didn't fit somehow. On closer inspection, the V3 model shell is mounted just slightly higher (1cm at most), but that makes all the difference. Do not try this on pre-v3 models unless you are ready to shim the pillars and drill new holes to make it fit. Will glue acrylic strips inside the shell pillars where it meets the wheel hangers to increase clearence tomorrow. Wonder if i might as well go all the way and aim for a 3 inch tyre mod while i'm at it ...

Edit: 3 inches is impossible to do without ruining shell integrity completely

Edited by Tinkererboi
  • Like 1

It’s too bad Rockwheel and IPS both have faded into the background.  Rockwheel had some pretty innovative designs and performance specs.  It’s just the reliability issues that seemed to work against them.  IPS had the solid Lhotz that was indestructible.

It must be a challenge in this niche industry to invest a lot in product development and production.  Without deep pockets or a well selling diversified product base, it must be difficult to keep bringing new products to market.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Tinkererboi said:

Haha 48 was the max speed for the v1 62v version. Manufacturer states 55-60 as the max for 84v version. Never really hit 60 except for a few occasions when I wasnt paying attention to my pebble watch. Yep 2.5" fits perfectly. I use a korean brand called Seorae cause it doesnt have the ugly chaoyang logo or bright yellow "e-bike pro" print. In my opinion its grippier as well. Not sure if you can get that where you are but they come in basically the same tread patterns as chaoyang and cst. Didnt change anything to make it work except remove the useless sliding mudguard. Made my own externally mounted one out of flexible plastic and loving it. Will post pics when I figure out how.

Wow good to know but I won't go faster than about 40 ish regardless since I'm a bit chicken but the more reserve power the better.  I don't even know which version I got and now they're on version 3?  I thought version 2 was the newest.  The Green Fashion shop page just said 2019 1036WH 84V 2000W version so I'm assuming I have the V3???  Also good to know it can handle bigger tires.  If you're able to squeeze a 3" on yours please post.  Otherwise I'll just try to put on a 2.5" instead.

Edited by BA-B8

On 9/27/2019 at 4:51 PM, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

@Scatcat had the V1 and V2, but I believe he had several issues over time.  Would you consider buying another Rockwheel after your GT16 experience?

Stuff I miss:

• Low end torque
  • Low centre of gravity
  • Firmware response

Stuff I don't miss:

• Squeaky shell
  • Peculiar internal layout
  • Too small pedals
  • Slightly craptastic sense of quality, with divergence in pedal arm widths, angles, in shell conformity and so on. 

Would I buy it again? Maybe. But today there are more modern wheels that might be worse in one or two areas but superior in all others. It would be hard to go back to the narrow tire and low battery capacity of a GT16.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
On 10/24/2018 at 11:31 AM, Scatcat said:

Something very interesting is going on at Rockwheel...

new-project1.thumb.jpg.d58110280bce44c4fd28eb237082c1f9.jpgnew-project2.thumb.jpg.d7bb5d836c07d77b8403ef9f330360f0.jpgnew-project3.thumb.jpg.e85f3d5d055809e51187e9759caab2e2.jpgnew-project4.jpg.45add0637e6457c485687aa9a66f0b77.jpg

Not sure how this relates to the GT18, but as you see some prototype work is going on... This thing looks indestructible!

Turns out this was going to be a suspension EUC back in 2018 which didn't go ahead due to lack of funding. 

Screenshot_20200412_143436_com.tencent_m

• Like 3

• 2 years later...

Rockwheel is asking their Wechat followers/friends if people would preorder a Rockwheel GT18 if they made it (without giving any specs yet). 

What do you think? Would you? 

Me, with right specs, I would. Mainly if they make it 134v (remember, the GT16 was the 1st 2000w 84v wheel not made by Gotway, and also the 1st wheel balanced wheel with top board and 4 packs on sides)

Poll: https://www.facebook.com/groups/ElectricUnicycle/permalink/5041552092609380/

Edited by Jean eRide.ie Community
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Rockwheel still exists?

Yes, they stopped doing EUCs due to

"AFAIK: the safety concern with cut-outs being possible (and investors deciding not to go ahead with the GT18)" 

and went into building fast folding and non folding ebikes (Google CMaceWheel) instead, easier, less safety concerns and more popular. 

Edited by Jean eRide.ie Community
  • Like 1