First faceplant at 40 kph! if you dont wear safety gear READ THIS

Shad0z

so i have had my tesla for about 600 km now no faceplant yet. before today i was at about 50 percent battery

i had full safety gear on Wristguards, cross helmet, elbowpads and kneepads

and i was riding near a place where there is a bus stop but the busses when they stay on the asphalt the same place they many years it ends up creating these groves that are about 20 cm tall

and they are practically invisible, until you are about half meter away from them but then its already too late

i was riding about 40 kph and then i hit it my euc fell from under me and it fell and tumbled to the side.. and now i was falling in a lean foward position and i got my theory tested if i can react fast enough to roll. and it worked i rolled on the side *kinda* and no major injuries but the scare and shock and feeling of tumbling a few meters. and a pretty bad skin scraping on the side,

this was definetly enough to teach me a lesson (wich i badly needed)

you need to touch the fire, to be truly afraid of it. -me

and i now think about how good a decision it was for me that i use about 2 min everytime i go on a ride just to take safety gear on even if its just a 5 minute ride

but i still got waaay too used to hitting over 40 kph often.. and its just too much if i crash or fall into something. a well placed lesson i would say :ph34r:

and No, tiltback would'nt have saved me! 

for all of you kingsong tiltback enthusiasts :D

32 minutes ago, Shad0z said:

so i have had my tesla for about 600 km now

Nice distance for the time! Looks like you're happy with the wheel.

32 minutes ago, Shad0z said:

and a pretty bad skin scraping on the side,

Some scraping? How bad? Clothes ruined?

33 minutes ago, Shad0z said:

this was definetly enough to teach me a lesson (wich i badly needed)

Yep, it really helps to have a fall, after that you have a more realistic view of EUC riding, and lost enough trust in the magic so you're careful enough, which you might not be if never anything happened and you glide along until something really bad occurs. So no injuries (I hope) + learning = helpful experience:efee47c9c8: Still a crash though...

If you roll the wheel by hand over the obstacle, then you can have some general sense if and how you can make it over. If you practice that obstacle, at slower speeds, and you finally make it over, then the next time you encounter that obstacle you have a good chance of surviving going over something like it.

I'm somewhat obsessed on getting over stupid obstacles; my biggest observation is when coming to an obstacle that you get air on, leaning back often shoots the wheel from under you whereas being neutral often drops you onto safe ground with no drama.

Just read this and have to say (as you will see from my other posts), I try to wear protective kit whenever I go out. However, I’m currently in the very far north of Finland skiing and looking at my logging app I’m hitting 90-100kph fairly frequently. Don’t have knee pads, elbow or shoulder pads, wrist guards or in short any of the clobber I normally use wheeling.

Snow is obviously somewhat softer than concrete and where im skiing there is no chance of hitting trees or rocks and the slopes are often completely empty but I found myself thinking why the hell im happy to do this yet not unprotected on a wheel. I concluded that I probably should be using protective gear, but also that I haven’t got a slightly unpredicrtable electric contraption between me and the slope. Our wheels are put together by guys on the other side of the world who have little or no liability to you as the end customer, there are no regulatory standards for them or the software and we use them in an environment where you cannot predict what a car or pedestrian will do, even if you are only doing 10kph. 

Ive just ordered myself a full face helmet and a better set of wrist guards. I’m seriously thinking about a leather motorcycle jacket too. 

6 hours ago, Shad0z said:

you need to touch the fire, to be truly afraid of it. -me

So glad your OK!! Hopefully with the increased accident reports EUC members will become more cognizant about wearing safety gear. 

14 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

So glad your OK!! Hopefully with the increased accident reports EUC members will become more cognizant about wearing safety gear. 

What bothers me is the feeling that no/low injury high speed crashes at speed are becoming a bit of a badge of honor.

7 hours ago, Shad0z said:

No, tiltback would'nt have saved me! 

for all of you kingsong tiltback enthusiasts :D

Edited 7 hours ago by Shad0z

First some nice words: Glad you are OK and good that you wear safety gear all the time!

now the not so nice words ;-) :

What has tiltback to do with that? Yip, you are right...tiltback would not have helped you...

Some brain perhaps would have helped? Driving that fast in unknown territory on an 16inch small wheel EUC has a high probabilty of crashing...

So i hope you learned your lesson and you are a bit more carefull in the future. This time you might be lucky, just imaging a boardwalk stone or something else in the way of your "roll"...

Sorry, not meant as offense...but it has to be clear unicycling can be a dangerous hobby, so i am not a fan of reports that have a sound like "i drive over 40kmh all the time...even on a crash nothing happens, so i can be proud ....".....

I guess with rehab1 i have now seen more reports of hospital visits than i have  finger on both of my hands!

So please, be carefull in the future!

37 minutes ago, WARPed1701D said:

What bothers me is the feeling that no/low injury high speed crashes at speed are becoming a bit of a badge of honor.

I pray your wrong but I have sensed your concerns as well. If I had made it through my ordeal without any life altering injuries I would probably be patting myself on the back as well. 

For those lucky enough to walk away from a serious injury should be raising awareness and promoting safety gear. I seriously may consider honoring those proactive leaders with some form of recognition. 

For those assuming that full safety gear will see you through a face plant unscathed, Mr @Rehab1 and a few others would disagree.  Safety gear helps, but ultimately, its a craps shoot whether or not one sustains an injury.  Remember, we had a 14-year-old boy come off a hoverboard and die under the wheels of a bus, recently. And the owner of Segway  (before NineBit bought the name) fell off his Segway, off a cliff to his death. Hoverboard Segway, or EUC, the bus wheels and cliffs of this world don't care, with or without ATGATT. Yes, wear good safety gear, but also ride safely, know your wheel, the terrain you're riding on, your skill level and your battery power level, and ride with caution.

Glad to hear you were using protective gear and , only your pride got hurt  .

You must be a very fit and agile person with ninja reflexes :ph34r: and some training on martial arts if you walked out of a fall at 40 km/h with just scratches .

To all of us that do not posses such incredible skills and agility the lesson once again is clear . 

DO NOT RIDE AN ONE WHEEL ELETRONIC BALACED DEVICE AT HIGH SPEEDS UNLESS YOU HAVE A DEATH WISH .

If this is the case i would sugest a quicker and less painfull aproach .

As a rule i use protective gear most of the time but to be completely honest i found myself riding 40 km this weekend with no protection apart from my winter jacket . Although not at 40km/h , still prety stupid . Shame on me ?

Glad to see you're ok and that you have sense to wear protective gear but please seriously - SLOW DOWN!

One wheel shouldn't be able to do such speeds, have extra power for reserves sure but not for speeds too much can go wrong. What if someone steps out in front of you or you come off near a pedestrian or worse in front of a vehicle? Your EUC can be a right off and so could you/someone else, even with safety gear.

More countries aren't going to make them legal if they're too risky. Manufacturers need to focus more on making their products safer and more reliable before there's a fatality.

Sorry for the rant. Ride safely.

10 hours ago, WARPed1701D said:

9 hours ago, KingSong69 said:

Sorry, not meant as offense...but it has to be clear unicycling can be a dangerous hobby, so i am not a fan of reports that have a sound like "i drive over 40kmh all the time...even on a crash nothing happens, so i can be proud ...."...

Maybe I could open a thread "3000km, no fall." saying "Got safety gears, drive carefully, I didn't need 40kmh crash to learn my lessons..."

But I don't think I'll get the hype I deserve... :(

On 2/12/2018 at 5:09 PM, Marty Backe said:

Glad that you're OK and a lesson was learned :thumbup:  But more importantly, how is your Tesla :confused1: ;)

its perfectly ok only a small scratch near the handle ;)

and it was without padding on the tesla!

9 hours ago, TremF said:

Glad to see you're ok and that you have sense to wear protective gear but please seriously - SLOW DOWN!

One wheel shouldn't be able to do such speeds, have extra power for reserves sure but not for speeds too much can go wrong. What if someone steps out in front of you or you come off near a pedestrian or worse in front of a vehicle? Your EUC can be a right off and so could you/someone else, even with safety gear.

More countries aren't going to make them legal if they're too risky. Manufacturers need to focus more on making their products safer and more reliable before there's a fatality.

Sorry for the rant. Ride safely.

that was what i learned ;) 

11 hours ago, Luiz said:

Glad to hear you were using protective gear and , only your pride got hurt  .

You must be a very fit and agile person with ninja reflexes :ph34r: and some training on martial arts if you walked out of a fall at 40 km/h with just scratches .

To all of us that do not posses such incredible skills and agility the lesson once again is clear . 

DO NOT RIDE AN ONE WHEEL ELETRONIC BALACED DEVICE AT HIGH SPEEDS UNLESS YOU HAVE A DEATH WISH .

If this is the case i would sugest a quicker and less painfull aproach .

As a rule i use protective gear most of the time but to be completely honest i found myself riding 40 km this weekend with no protection apart from my winter jacket . Although not at 40km/h , still prety stupid . Shame on me ?

im not fit at all.. :D but i do have some weird ninja reflexes at 150 ms.. ;) 

23 hours ago, LanghamP said:

If you roll the wheel by hand over the obstacle, then you can have some general sense if and how you can make it over. If you practice that obstacle, at slower speeds, and you finally make it over, then the next time you encounter that obstacle you have a good chance of surviving going over something like it.

I'm somewhat obsessed on getting over stupid obstacles; my biggest observation is when coming to an obstacle that you get air on, leaning back often shoots the wheel from under you whereas being neutral often drops you onto safe ground with no drama.

watch out for big egdes my teslas tire got snakebited when riding at 40 psi over a 7 cm egde... now i use 60psi and it doesnt fully get squised down when going over an obstacle

19 hours ago, WARPed1701D said:

that trend just needs to stop.. if it was'nt for my reflexes the rolled me to the side it could have been much worse...

the real badge of honor is using 2 minutes everytime before a ride to take on safety gear

On 2/12/2018 at 3:50 PM, meepmeepmayer said:

Nice distance for the time! Looks like you're happy with the wheel.

Some scraping? How bad? Clothes ruined?

Yep, it really helps to have a fall, after that you have a more realistic view of EUC riding, and lost enough trust in the magic so you're careful enough, which you might not be if never anything happened and you glide along until something really bad occurs. So no injuries (I hope) + learning = helpful experience:efee47c9c8: Still a crash though...

yes i am very happy with the wheel everyday ride until im down to about 30-40 percent or even more

the scraping was just a pretty standard but wide skin scraping and a little hole in my tshirt and suprisingly not my jacket :huh:

but i totally agree after 500 km without a single crash you feel like youre gliding on an indestructable gliding peice of titanium that is powered by thunder!

the crash definelty teached me but i wasnt badly injured and now im riding at 30-40 instead of 40-50 ;) 

20 hours ago, nute said:

Just read this and have to say (as you will see from my other posts), I try to wear protective kit whenever I go out. However, I’m currently in the very far north of Finland skiing and looking at my logging app I’m hitting 90-100kph fairly frequently. Don’t have knee pads, elbow or shoulder pads, wrist guards or in short any of the clobber I normally use wheeling.

Snow is obviously somewhat softer than concrete and where im skiing there is no chance of hitting trees or rocks and the slopes are often completely empty but I found myself thinking why the hell im happy to do this yet not unprotected on a wheel. I concluded that I probably should be using protective gear, but also that I haven’t got a slightly unpredicrtable electric contraption between me and the slope. Our wheels are put together by guys on the other side of the world who have little or no liability to you as the end customer, there are no regulatory standards for them or the software and we use them in an environment where you cannot predict what a car or pedestrian will do, even if you are only doing 10kph. 

Ive just ordered myself a full face helmet and a better set of wrist guards. I’m seriously thinking about a leather motorcycle jacket too. 

im thinking of buying a leather jacket too but i cant afford i real one probably :D so i will have to do with a faux leather 

20 hours ago, Smoother said:

Welcome to the club.  Glad you're alright. 

DON'T RIDE AT HIGH SPEED OVER UNFAMILIAR GROUND! :facepalm:

i have ridden at this bus stop a lot of times but i never saw any groves :confused1:

i try to look at the road ahead as much as possible but sometimes. you just make a mistake

9 minutes ago, Shad0z said:

marty Backe

thanks for all the upvotes.. i bet you were spamming those buttons. :D 

Good comments deserve a thumbs up :thumbup:

5 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Good comments deserve a thumbs up :thumbup:

well thats good to hear :D thanks 

damn youre almost at 10.000 opvotes :o we need to celebrate.. and i will see if i can click the "10.000 upvote button" ;) 

i got your back-e :D   " you cannot add more reactions today"

Archived