Learning to ride backwards !

Adel

Ok so I was getting tired of keep reading about Gotway problems and went out for some riding in the city today on my trusty KS16.

I decided instead to learn to ride backwards one more times. I've had 3  previous sessions before with limited success.  :(

I picked long sidewalk near the shore with smooth handrail that I can use my hand to keep balance. After about 2 hours of grueling practice, in was finally able to do it !  :clap3:

I can't explain what happened, I guess something just clicks and you get it. The good thing is I experienced the same satisfaction when I learned to ride euc successfully first time.

So if you feel you are stagnating, maybe try to learn new skill instead, it's very rewarding when you master it.

But please, be VERY careful when learning to ride backwards, it's at least twice (maybe ten times) as hard as learning to ride first time. For me the handrail was the key and going very slow and controlled at the beginning, as you can easily injure/hyperextend your knee if you fall off awkwardly. Also listening to music on my headphone while I learned seemed to help as well and put me in some rhythm to practice.

Have fun learning new stuff !

• 4 months later...
4 minutes ago, DaveThomasPilot said:

I was searching for tips on how to learn to ride backwards and came across this post.

Do any of the EUC veterans have any more tips?  

@Marty Backe posted a string of videos of him learning to ride backwards.  It's a great resource, it inspired me to try it also.

21 minutes ago, DaveThomasPilot said:

Do any of the EUC veterans have any more tips?  

for me it was just that you have to put some time into it. I started learning backwards riding in spring this year. My tactics was, that after work every day I go past a small skate park, which is at the time usually empty. So I just went there every day for a week and did about 15 to 20 min. of backwards training. No handrail or such, just trying to get going backwards from a stable standing position. The first two days it was like: I'm going... why am I turning? and down I went. After a couple of days I was able to correct, or better said overcorrect that involuntary curve riding two to three times before I had to step off. That number increased over time, and after about 10 or 12 sessions I was able to ride backwards really wobbly and unreliably. After that I didn't train that systematically anymore I rather tried to implement backwards riding in my usual riding style. Nowadays I can do a 180 and continue riding backwards quite consistantly, transistions forwards/backwards work in both directions well, I can idle for a while at times. #

Over all I can only encourage every rider to put the effort into this matter, as it really helps you gaining control over the wheel, especially while navigating slowly in confined spaces.

I tried holding on to a tree or something first, and leaning back a little, could go a few feet before stepping off.  I would practice about 5 minutes each ride, then would get tired and try again the next time.  Then @Mono  suggested that every time you come to a stop, try to go backwards a little, and over time the distance going backwards would get farther and farther.  Did that for several weeks, not forcing it but just trying a little each time to go backwards.  After awhile I could go about 10 feet, but would always curve to the left, couldn't go straight.  Eventually it got to the point where I was going straight farther and farther, and then there was a point where I could stop, go backwards 50-75 feet, stop and go forwards, and do pendulums.  That's when it got fun.  Now every ride has some backwards riding and pendulums.  Still can't do a 180 to reverse, tried it a few times but my shin got scraped a couple times by the pedal from stepping off poorly.  

Marty's videos and the posts here have really motivated me to give backwards a try!

I'm an old guy, so if I can do it, probably anyone can.  Gotta ask, who's the oldest one around that can ride backwards?    Or, who's the fattest?  Maybe I can be the first at something!

32 minutes ago, DaveThomasPilot said:

Marty's videos and the posts here have really motivated me to give backwards a try!

I'm an old guy, so if I can do it, probably anyone can.  Gotta ask, who's the oldest one around that can ride backwards?    Or, who's the fattest?  Maybe I can be the first at something!

Try not to be the first person to break your wrist going backwards. Jumping off is completely different going backwards. And as @steve454 said, those pedals can do a number on your ankles.  Good luck

Congrats on learning the new skill.  When I was learning, I watched all the videos I could before trying it.  I remember feeling disoriented when I finally was able to ride backward.  The disorientation went away with time.  Good luck and keep practicing!  I'm about to learn how to go backwards on a manual unicycle!  Scary!  I just have backwards and idling to learn left.  It definitely takes a lot longer to master manual uni-cycling than EUC.  I think it is because you need to develop a lot more muscles than EUC.

7 hours ago, DaveThomasPilot said:

If you can ride an EUC, you can ride backwards. The key is to build muscle memory, and that just takes time (not a lot). And don't put too much energy into on any given day, because once you start getting a little tired, it goes down hill quickly. It's like your brain needs a long break between practices (sleep?) to incorporate what you've learned.

Now, every time I get on the wheel I will do some amount of riding backwards. Still improving, but I can actually do a whole ride backwards now - if you've seen my video :D

There are plenty of guys on this forum that put me to shame, but I have no shame, so it doesn't stop me from continuing to try and progress.

@trya has some years on me, and he's really good at riding.

I started off by coming to a stop whilst riding forward and then continuing forward without stepping off.

Then I would go back a foot or two each time I stopped, it took a while before I could then stop in reverse and continue forward but once that was mastered the backwards distance gradually increased.

The next big difficulty once I was going a reasonable distance backwards was to actually look behind me at where I was going instead of reversing blind. It sounds silly but the simple act of turning your head to look behind really does throw you off balance to begin with.

So, I did my first 20 minute session today.  Not sure I made Day 1 on the "Marty Backe scale", but I was happy to find discover that what I needed to do to stay balanced wasn't counter-intuitive--it seemed the same as riding forwards.

My biggest problem was keeping up the backwards speed.  Every time I corrected for left or right turn tendencies, I ended up stopped, then having to dismount.  It seemed like if I could just keep up my speed, I could stay balanced.

I wish there was a way to bias the wheel to keep going backwards during this learning period.  Maybe lean the wheel forward while calibrating?  I've never tried calibrating the 14c, so I don't even know how to do it.

I only saw one "dead chicken"" incident in Marty's videos (the first one, I think). I had several today. I'd suggest wearing boots and shin guards in addition to the helmet.  Maybe Marty didn't have the painful run-ins with the pedals when first learning to ride forwards that I did.  The boots and shin guards weren't needed today, but easily could have been, depending on what the wheel decided to do when I jumped off.

Try not to be the first person to break your wrist going backwards. [

Thanks Smoother,  -- I'm also wearing the wrist guards.

I have to step back and say just how great this is.   It's like going back to being a kid and re-living the thrill of first learning to riding a bike .    Best available substitute for a fountain of youth!  (well, that's probably an overstatement,  but you get the idea).

It didn't seem like fun for the first few frustrating sessions trying to ride the EUC forwards, but the harder it is, the more satisfying riding backwards will be once it clicks!

14 minutes ago, DaveThomasPilot said:

So, I did my first 20 minute session today.  Not sure I made Day 1 on the "Marty Backe scale", but I was happy to find discover that what I needed to do to stay balanced wasn't counter-intuitive--it seemed the same as riding forwards.

My biggest problem was keeping up the backwards speed.  Every time I corrected for left or right turn tendencies, I ended up stopped, then having to dismount.  It seemed like if I could just keep up my speed, I could stay balanced.

I wish there was a way to bias the wheel to keep going backwards during this learning period.  Maybe lean the wheel forward while calibrating?  I've never tried calibrating the 14c, so I don't even know how to do it.

I only saw one "dead chicken"" incident in Marty's videos (the first one, I think). I had several today. I'd suggest wearing boots and shin guards in addition to the helmet.  Maybe Marty didn't have the painful run-ins with the pedals when first learning to ride forwards that I did.  The boots and shin guards weren't needed today, but easily could have been, depending on what the wheel decided to do when I jumped off.

My shins and ankles were beat to hell for the first few months. If you see any of my earlier videos you will see a big piece of foam strapped to the inside of my leg to cushion the pain. Yours too will pass :)

On ‎16‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 8:23 PM, Marty Backe said:

Now, every time I get on the wheel I will do some amount of riding backwards. Still improving, but I can actually do a whole ride backwards now - if you've seen my video :D

You should record a backward ride, then post it in reverse, so it looks like you are going forward and everyone else backward - Weird Al style.

4 hours ago, Bambino said:

Hello

Recently i learned to ride seating down, on my ks18s, and i love it!!

Its very nice to learn new things, i agree.

now, try riding backwards seated.  LOL

2 hours ago, Bambino said:

lolololololololololololololol.... hummm, good idea!!!! :P:P:P:D:D:D 

You like our KS 18s, @eddiemoy? Its fantastic, right?

I love my KS18S.  If it has a trolley handle it would be the absolute best wheel!  I want a wheel that has a seat and a trolley handle.  I still go to the KS16 when I need to bring the wheel in doors.  I was going to get the Tesla to replace the KS16 I have, but the recent cut out's I've seen gives me pause.  Think I will wait for the KS18L instead...  But it looks massive.  

8 minutes ago, eddiemoy said:

I love my KS18S.  If it has a trolley handle it would be the absolute best wheel!  I want a wheel that has a seat and a trolley handle.  I still go to the KS16 when I need to bring the wheel in doors.  I was going to get the Tesla to replace the KS16 I have, but the recent cut out's I've seen gives me pause.  Think I will wait for the KS18L instead...  But it looks massive.  

I understand.. I want another wheel, but i dont now...

I like gotvay Msuper VS3+, but the cut out´s.... hummm,... I have to wait.

Maybe Z10... Another KS18s...its possible, in white... 

i dont now...

5 minutes ago, eddiemoy said:

I love my KS18S.  If it has a trolley handle it would be the absolute best wheel!  I want a wheel that has a seat and a trolley handle.  I still go to the KS16 when I need to bring the wheel in doors.  .  

Install one...guess you have seen the picture's of my KS18 trolley? It is great! :-)

6 minutes ago, eddiemoy said:

was going to get the Tesla to replace the KS16 I have, but the recent cut out's I've seen gives me pause. 

Think I will wait for the KS18L instead...  But it looks massive.

I have only seen this one "cutout" of the Taiwan guy....and who knows what has happened there? Heard it is still working so it was no mosfet fried! My Tesla Looks good from inside, and i have to say (even as a big KS fan), the Tesla drive mode and behaviour is absolutly stunning. Really impressive!

I dont know if i go for a 18L...no seating anymore...Circus lights....will there be at least a 1600wh Version? All reasons to stay on my 18S, which allready is crazy powerfull and even faster as i Need it. We will see :-)

2 hours ago, KingSong69 said:

Install one...guess you have seen the picture's of my KS18 trolley? It is great! :-)

I have only seen this one "cutout" of the Taiwan guy....and who knows what has happened there? Heard it is still working so it was no mosfet fried! My Tesla Looks good from inside, and i have to say (even as a big KS fan), the Tesla drive mode and behaviour is absolutly stunning. Really impressive!

I dont know if i go for a 18L...no seating anymore...Circus lights....will there be at least a 1600wh Version? All reasons to stay on my 18S, which allready is crazy powerfull and even faster as i Need it. We will see :-)

Your handle is in the same position as the Msuper.  How is it compared to the Msuper? BTW, I can't find the handle in the states.  Hm...  Might place an order of the Tesla then...  It is a good 16" wheel.  I like the KS16, but it is a little slow.  Like to try to figure out what happen with the guy and the cut out, maybe it is the software, not refined.  Don't want to run into the same situation where the wheel freaks out and dumps me.  I'm sure we will see more people taking dumps on the Tesla.  There is the other one where the board melted/smoked from the "extreme" mountain climbing.  

7 minutes ago, eddiemoy said:

Your handle is in the same position as the Msuper.  How is it compared to the Msuper? BTW, I can't find the handle in the states. 

It‘s not comparable to the clumsy MSuper handle! Problem on the Msuper is that the trolley bar is much to thin and also a long bar is needed till your hand is reached.

My trolley is very sturdy, and you only have to get it out about 15—20cm to have it in a comfortable position! I have tested other Ks18 trolley solutions..like the IM V5f type....but this now is really the best, on my old Ks18a it even lived on some hard crashes and still works perfectly....

You could write to the german ebay seller..he is very friendly and might also send to the states....(just didnt have the name in mind at the moment :-) wait...it was „allit“?  )

• 2 weeks later...

Today I tried backwards for only the second time and got it in about five minutes. The first time I gave up some months ago after the first miserable attempt when it felt impossible. 

So here's how to do backwards riding with no drama or even  much challenge. The reason why people have problems going backwards is because the "controls" are reversed. The problem is expounded in this video. 

Don't do this! You do not need to reverse controls if you simply tilt the wheel in order to go left or right. The controls will stay exactly the same regardless of direction. 

If you know how to steer by the shorten leg method whereby your wheel floats between your legs not touching the sides, with no swiveling then you can use exactly the same feel to ride backwards. That is, if you feel you're tipping left then bend your right leg. 

Shorten leg method is the 2nd method he talks about. 

I didn't get away with pain, though, as I mildly bruised my chins from jumping off the EUC the wrong way. I kept jumping off backwards but in the EUCs direction of travel. 

2 hours ago, LanghamP said:

Today I tried backwards for only the second time and got it in about five minutes. The first time I gave up some months ago after the first miserable attempt when it felt impossible. 

So here's how to do backwards riding with no drama or even  much challenge. The reason why people have problems going backwards is because the "controls" are reversed. The problem is expounded in this video. 

Don't do this! You do not need to reverse controls if you simply tilt the wheel in order to go left or right. The controls will stay exactly the same regardless of direction. 

If you know how to steer by the shorten leg method whereby your wheel floats between your legs not touching the sides, with no swiveling then you can use exactly the same feel to ride backwards. That is, if you feel you're tipping left then bend your right leg. 

Shorten leg method is the 2nd method he talks about. 

Words are nice and all, but that doesn't make it easy. It's like watching a bunch of EUC instructional videos and expecting that you can just hop on a wheel and ride it.

Glad that you've mastered backward riding, yet if it's not a video did you really do it ;)

Archived