Learning to ride backwards !

Adel

2 hours ago, LanghamP said:

I didn't get away with pain, though, as I mildly bruised my chins from jumping off the EUC the wrong way. I kept jumping off backwards but in the EUCs direction of travel. 

Which wheel did you use? I find each wheel has its own difficulties when it comes to backward riding

3 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Which wheel did you use? I find each wheel has its own difficulties when it comes to backward riding

I used my V5F which floats between the legs. 

I can't do the KS16 because right now the reverse swivel of hips is beyond me, it is completely impossible and I fall off immediately.

I mean to say, swiveling the hips is the way I ride the KS16 and the MSuper, with the pads firmly gripped between my upper calves. 

3 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Words are nice and all, but that doesn't make it easy. It's like watching a bunch of EUC instructional videos and expecting that you can just hop on a wheel and ride it.

Glad that you've mastered backward riding, yet if it's not a video did you really do it ;)

Let me get good at it, then make a video pretending I just learned it.

I seriously nailed my shins, a lot more than I initially thought. You almost have to have shin guards to practice backwards riding, the instincts of bailing off an EUC is exactly wrong with the EUC going the wrong direction. 

I have pictures of my bashed in shins but I hit my Pic limits. 

21 minutes ago, LanghamP said:

Let me get good at it, then make a video pretending I just learned it.

I seriously nailed my shins, a lot more than I initially thought. You almost have to have shin guards to practice backwards riding, the instincts of bailing off an EUC is exactly wrong with the EUC going the wrong direction. 

I have pictures of my bashed in shins but I hit my Pic limits. 

I bloodied the same shin twice trying to do a 180 to reverse so haven't practiced it since.  Think I'll get some shin guards and try some more.

Install Imgur and upload the pictures there, you don't have to register.  Then it won't matter to your Pic limits.  I just tested that in the test thread, only thing is, I used a picture that was already there, still haven't uploaded one of my own.

Make a video and say you only practiced 10 minutes riding backwards, and say "this is easy":lol:

• 4 months later...

one tip i know from every kind of learning (even though i cant do backwards yet) is just

the mind has almost infinite ability to learn many new things

but. it has a limited speed. so if you cant invest some time. you cant rush it. this tip canbe applied to every kind of learning

19 minutes ago, Shad0z said:

one tip i know from every kind of learning (even though i cant do backwards yet) is just

the mind has almost infinite ability to learn many new things

but. it has a limited speed. so if you cant invest some time. you cant rush it. this tip canbe applied to every kind of learning

Take your time can be applied to every kind of learning? Well thanks albert einstein who'd have known?!

36 minutes ago, Cannings said:

Take your time can be applied to every kind of learning? Well thanks albert einstein who'd have known?!

. . . i know its not like rocket science or anything. the reason i typed it was that sometimes people forget (even myself) this simple thing

its just about trying and having patience. 

i just wanted to remind everyone ;) 

maybe you already knew... but still a good reminder. if youre frustrated about not being able to learn it, wich i know a few people will be to a small degree

After sweating even spending the time I needed to put in to learn to ride backwards I made the commitment a couple of weeks ago... shockingly it took me only 3 days to get it to the point i could go about 30 feet, and now it is no issue... I have 2 recommendations that helped me tremendously... Pick a point in front of you reasonably far away at eye level and stare at it while you try and also pay attention to keep your shoulders perfectly level with all movements from the chest down... worked great for me. I have a 14D and a 16S, I learned on the smaller wheel first and it is definitely easier at least for me on the 14 and very different on the 16.

Learning to go backwards on a small wheel such as a 14 inch or 16 inch is much easier. 18 inch and above is much harder. 

• 2 months later...
On 4/4/2018 at 5:10 AM, Shad0z said:

. . . i know its not like rocket science or anything. the reason i typed it was that sometimes people forget (even myself) this simple thing

its just about trying and having patience. 

i just wanted to remind everyone ;) 

maybe you already knew... but still a good reminder. if youre frustrated about not being able to learn it, wich i know a few people will be to a small degree

Took me weeks!  :facepalm:  Yo estoy poquinto estupido.

4 hours ago, Circuitmage said:

@steve454 I've been putting minimal effort into it every now and then. I am at the point of being able to stop, got backwards about 2 inches, then have to step off the thing. I think once I went about 10' backwards....but it's not the same.

That's what I did also.  One day it started to click.  Now I practice for a few minutes every ride.  It's fun once you get the hang of it.

Still in the phase "the wheel is riding with me when going backwards but I can stay on most of the time" here. I manage to go some distance, stop, and go forward again, but I am in no way controlling what direction I am going :lol: 

@ir_fuel I was able to get it down in a few days... the trick that worked for me is to focus on keeping your shoulders straight and level... do not let them move like you are frozen at the top... stare at a point straight ahead (dont move your head or look down) and then let all the movements come from your waist down... give it a shot, should let things click quickly for you...

@ir_fuel.

If you are using a smaller diameter wheel like M ten3 you should pick this up in no time. Start off by doing pendulums slowly if possible.

lean back slightly to control the speed of the wheel going backwards then bring the wheel underneath you by leaning forward.

In time your controlled pendulums will become longer and longer and eventually it will click. Keep your body straight and don't twist. 

2 hours ago, Edddeus said:

@ir_fuel.

If you are using a smaller diameter wheel like M ten3 you should pick this up in no time. Start off by doing pendulums slowly if possible.

lean back slightly to control the speed of the wheel going backwards then bring the wheel underneath you by leaning forward.

In time your controlled pendulums will become longer and longer and eventually it will click. Keep your body straight and don't twist. 

Yeah doing it with an Mten3. Pendulums go quite well. Just need more practice and the looking straight ahead thing (stuff I already use when doing balance exercises at the gym. Always focus on a point. Works like a charm .... until the coach says "and now close your eyes" ?). There is just something to it that makes me:

- always turn to the right if deviating

- makes me jump off with both feet. Never really falling over to one side. I just bail with both at the same time.

Oh well, more practice and I guess at a certain point in time it will click.

Archived