esaj

Electric Unicycle Terminology

21 posts in this topic

Thanks so much @esaj !  What would this forum (and the world euc community) do without you?  Pinned (although you could do it yourself too).  :D

Good addition to the eWheel performance post I made about a month back.

I would recommend there be something in the section on 'Out-lean' how the pedal-tilt-back helps with a feedback mechanism that prevents riders from going beyond the max speed capabilities of their eWheel. In my opinion, this is really important topic that, especially newbies, should be aware of. 

Edited by Jason McNeil

Good addition to the eWheel performance post I made about a month back.

I would recommend there be something in the section on 'Out-lean' how the pedal-tilt-back helps with a feedback mechanism that prevents riders from going beyond the max speed capabilities of their eWheel. In my opinion, this is really important topic that, especially newbies, should be aware of. 

Good point, I also had forgotten to add tilt-back in terms altogether... added tilt-back & overspeeding, and mentioned tilt-back in out-lean.

Bravo... Will just share this page...

Nice post. That helped me get up to speed as I wait for the delivery of my first EUC/Gyro-wheel.

@esaj would you identify the mosfets that need to be shunted to prevent BMS shut-off please in the photo below!?

The factory says it will replace my generic's PCB to satisfy their warranty obligations!! - I'm not holding my breath - they have been evasive and unhelpful so far.

Even if I stuff up the EUC is unusable now anyway!

I'm expecting a N1E+ any day now.

IMG_8773.JPG

Please correct the spelling 'tire' to 'tyre'. Also, an euc is not a bike, why using pedals? You're not pedalling at all. Footrest or similar would be more appropriative. The rest is perfect! Thank you very much @esaj! :)

1 hour ago, AlanR said:

@esaj would you identify the mosfets that need to be shunted to prevent BMS shut-off please in the photo below!?

The factory says it will replace my generic's PCB to satisfy their warranty obligations!! - I'm not holding my breath - they have been evasive and unhelpful so far.

Even if I stuff up the EUC is unusable now anyway!

I'm expecting a N1E+ any day now.

IMG_8773.JPG

While I'm not qualified enough to tell people which mosfets to shunt and which not from a picture alone, I can tell you this:  Don't shunt any of those, those mosfets are the motor driving half-bridges!! That's the mainboard, the mosfets that are to be shunted are in the BMS (Battery Management System) -board that's inside the battery pack (yeah, the shrink wraps need to be opened, at least a little bit). Hobby16 has a nice collection of BMS-pictures from various wheels here, with instructions: http://forum.electricunicycle.org/topic/459-electric-unicycles-bms-problem-and-solution/   The easiest solution, if available and easily recognizable, is to shunt between P- and B- with a thick wire, no need to solder the mosfets, so no risk of shunting the wrong mosfets. Do read about the dangers too (since the discharge-side protections are gone after shunting, you really don't want to short the battery by accident...)

22 minutes ago, Azuro said:

Please correct the spelling 'tire' to 'tyre'. Also, an euc is not a bike, why using pedals? You're not pedalling at all. Footrest or similar would be more appropriative. The rest is perfect! Thank you very much @esaj! :)

Hmm, is "tyre" vs. "tire" some  UK vs. US -English difference again, like "colour" and "color"? ;)  

The "footrests" have been pretty commonly called "pedals" in the forums, I think people know what's being meant by pedal even if they themselves call them footrests.. you don't "pedal" a cars' gas pedal or aircrafts' rudder pedals... although many sources say pedals are "foot-activated levers" (which isn't that far off, there is a lever-effect between the pedal and the EUC itself), I picked just the one source that best supports my use of it (Merriam-Webster)  ;)

pedal

: a flat piece of metal, rubber, etc., that you push with your foot to make a machine move, work, or stop

The definition's pretty much spot-on, you push the pedals of an EUC to make it move or stop :P 

Edited by esaj

39 minutes ago, Azuro said:

There is a saying "Put the pedal to the metal". :D

@esaj  Thanks for the reference - on the BMS modification - hopefully I can identify the relevant connections!

Thank you esaj to put them together!

A suggestion about Hall sensor.

The new generation control board use Hall sensors to detect motor current. May be use Hall position sensor and Hall current sensor to distinguish them.

12 minutes ago, Jimicyle said:

Thank you esaj to put them together!

A suggestion about Hall sensor.

The new generation control board use Hall sensors to detect motor current. May be use Hall position sensor and Hall current sensor to distinguish them.

True that, I'll try to get around to update the list a bit...

Hi there,

Can someone show a video of power braking? 

I've tried but only seem to out lean and incur shut down. 

If be keen to see the technique of this. 

Thanks! 

Edited by Knoxious

On 4/7/2016 at 6:45 PM, Knoxious said:

Hi there,

Can someone show a video of power braking? 

If be keen to see the technique of this. 

Thanks! 

Have you searched Youtube?  That is an interesting question, I am about to search Youtube but even if I find one I don't know how to post it.

On 08/06/2016 at 0:45 AM, steve454 said:

even if I find one I don't know how to post it

copy paste the link and type in a space (and/or enter). 

On 08/04/2016 at 1:45 AM, Knoxious said:

You can't really prevent this by a specific technique apart from braking more gently. Generally, keep the upper body vertically upright and the knees flexible. To brake rather don't lean back, but push the wheel with your legs in front of you. 

Edited by Mono

You should add Face plant to the EUC riding section :rolleyes:

Thank you for the posting, but it would be great if there were images in the starter post or references to You Tube videos.

the content describe detail function of every part of EUC. Especially, the end of  this content tell riders why your E-wheel shut down and you falled.

very very useful topic