Electric Unicycle Terminology

esaj

1 hour ago, Mono said:

True, any wheel cuts off at free spinning speed. However, it is virtually impossible to reach this cutoff speed while riding the wheel. Why? Because the wheel can neither reach nor sustain this speed with a rider due to the diminishing torque of the motor with increasing speed. Even if you get close to the cutoff speed, say by going downhill or with lots of tailwind, the diminishing torque will probably make you lose balance before the cutoff takes place.

No, not impossible.  The cutoff speed reduces with less full battery and increased weight or slope.  If your "never-get-there" theory were true it would still be true for a free-spinning wheel (there is still a bit of friction and air resistance). 

21 hours ago, Elliott Reitz said:

The cutoff speed reduces with [...] increased weight or slope.

That's news to me. How did you find this out? EDIT: I assume you are talking about the free-spinning-wheel cutoff, which is the only speed cutoff we can agree upon to exist on modern wheels (EDIT: there is also the cutoff from tilting the wheel above 45º-or-so).

21 hours ago, Elliott Reitz said:

If your "never-get-there" theory were true it would still be true for a free-spinning wheel (there is still a bit of friction and air resistance). 

I don't understand this if-then implication. A free spinning wheel needs much less torque at any given speed, hence it can and will reach the cut off speed. A wheel with a rider on it needs much more torque, hence it cannot.

Do you know the connection between maximal available torque and speed that electrical motors abide by?

Edited by Mono

On 8/21/2019 at 8:56 AM, Mono said:

That's news to me. How did you find this out? EDIT: I assume you are talking about the free-spinning-wheel cutoff, which is the only speed cutoff we can agree upon to exist on modern wheels (EDIT: there is also the cutoff from tilting the wheel above 45º-or-so).

I don't understand this if-then implication. A free spinning wheel needs much less torque at any given speed, hence it can and will reach the cut off speed. A wheel with a rider on it needs much more torque, hence it cannot.

Do you know the connection between maximal available torque and speed that electrical motors abide by?

OK so the max-speed-cutoff under load is debatable/unknown.  Like if I'm going up a steep hill and over-lean... does it accelerate while face-planting or just cut-off.  My impression (though from my last faceplant that was a hoverboard) is that the cutoff happens.  Whether it happens at the lean angle >45 degrees, or a power-to-compensate-limit (effected by battery level). I'm  not sure of that.  I did get a tilt back tonight on the e+ trying to keep up to my dogs at about 3/4 of its max speed since I had taken them 15 miles and my battery was down to about 30%.   So if I had over-leaned it then would it have face-planted me?  Or given me an accelerated face-dive?  I think it would have cut-off... anyone willing to test the theory?  I do think a treadmill test might be a good way to find out without getting hurt (I don't have one of those).

Edited by Elliott Reitz
punctuation "?" not "."

• 1 month later...
On 10/19/2019 at 10:23 AM, esaj said:

There's still ambiguity about the terms, but what I think of as "cut-out/cut-off" was

I don't think there is any chance the "correct" terminology will be adopted. We have tried to get there for four years and failed spectacularly. If people write that they had a cut-out, it's very likely that they "actually" had an overlean. Word usages in the end trump what should the "right" definition of the words, each and every time. I will keep saying overlean, but understand that cut-out or cut-off most of the time refers to the very same thing.

Edited by Mono
  • Like 2

On 8/24/2019 at 6:19 AM, Elliott Reitz said:

I did get a tilt back tonight on the e+ trying to keep up to my dogs at about 3/4 of its max speed since I had taken them 15 miles and my battery was down to about 30%. So if I had over-leaned it then would it have face-planted me?

Yes, most likely. Unless however you have flexible knees and have learned to run off or even save such cases (3/4 of the e+ max speed should be for many riders way within the run-off-possible speeds).

Or given me an accelerated face-dive?

Possibly, some people have experienced something like that, it's in a way an overlean in slow motion which can make it even worse. It should however be even easier to save, by commandingly bending the knees.

Edited by Mono

• 4 weeks later...

Great post,

Its actually a very important conecpt to have a cool sexy name for this mind blowing device!

I actually found that just the name Glider is great for this device. 

EUC/Electric Unicycle is just too long and hard to explain.. it's not catchable enough in my opinion...

So what do you guys think about "Glider?" OR Electric Glider? :) 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
9 hours ago, amandahelenuk said:

I was taking a gander at a portion of the items on the IPS site, and I was thinking about what "IP Level" signifies

More than likely ingress protection rating - https://www.enclosurecompany.com/ip-ratings-explained.php

• 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 6 months later...
On 12/5/2015 at 10:26 AM, ElectricWheelEric said:

Please correct the spelling 'tire' to 'tyre'. Also, an euc is not a bike, why using pedals? You're not pedalling at all. Footrest or similar would be more appropriative. The rest is perfect! Thank you very much @esaj! :)

Yes, but in a car we use the term accelerator or brake pedal…when we aren’t pedalling the pedals.  On the EUC we do use pressure on the pedals to accelerate or brake the wheel, as you do in a car. I can’t think what term might serve better to be honest.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Good God an euc is an EBIKE it sure is not a car or a motorcycle!!! And should be class 3 ebike!!! Bikes can have one, two, three, or four wheels... 

Now that we have suspension... We have to include SAG... Equipment sag, and rider sag!!!

Compression.... 

https://youtu.be/B6FHiTPu1A0

Edited by MetricUSA

• 2 months later...

“BLADE” … as in let’s go shred asphalt on our Blades .. I know some refer to sport motorcycles as such, but it’s little used .. anybody like it (I agree that - in the end - an EUC is a Wheel just as an automobile is a Car) .. but BLADE is kind of sexy 

(Ps this is a lonely topic of late!)

• 3 weeks later...