Advice and Tips before first order

that0n3guy

2 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

But since you're adverse to recommending the MSuper as an 18-inch wheel, I will.

I'm not adverse to the msuper V3 at all. I actually thought about mentioning it. But:

• It's yet another wheel to confuse the choice.
  • Which wouldn't be a problem, but since it's getting the Tesla upgrade like the ACM2 represents, that would mean another 2 months before it's available (as in, at his door). Which is too long.
  • Price (well, that's not that big of a difference to the 16 inch ACM2)
  • If I personally had to choose an 18 incher now, it would be the 18S, simply because of the better electronics. There are no big battery 16 inch KingSongs with comparable performance or battery capacity to the 16 inch Gotways, but msuper V3 vs 18S is much more comparable. The good old "Would anybody still buy Gotway if KS offered fully competitive wheels?" question.

So TLDR: Wait time, and why not an 18S right away if you go 18 inch? That's why I didn't mention it.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

I'm not adverse to the msuper V3 at all. I actually thought about mentioning it. But:

• It's yet another wheel to confuse the choice.
  • Which wouldn't be a problem, but since it's getting the Tesla upgrade like the ACM2 represents, that would mean another 2 months before it's available (as in, at his door). Which is too long.
  • Price (well, that's not that big of a difference to the 16 inch ACM2)
  • If I personally had to choose an 18 incher now, it would be the 18S, simply because of the better electronics. There are no big battery 16 inch KingSongs with comparable performance or battery capacity to the 16 inch Gotways, but msuper V3 vs 18S is much more comparable. The good old "Would anybody still buy Gotway if KS offered fully competitive wheels?" question.

So TLDR: Wait time, and why not an 18S right away if you go 18 inch? That's why I didn't mention it.

I don't feel compelled to upgrade my current MSuper like I did with the ACM, so I don't think he would have to wait, just buy it from EWheels. I'm not big on recommending the 18S automatically because as I say, it's an acquired taste. Have you spent any time on a 18S? I'm curious, that's all?

I have over a 150-miles on each of these wheels so I do have a sense of their comparative advantages and disadvantages. I do think the existing MSuper is the better wheel (assuming that it's in working order ;))

Never tried the 18S:efee47c9c8:

I didn't realize you disliked the form factor enough to ignore the electronics. After your mountain test, I personally wouldn't have given the ms3 another thought, but guess that's my incline fixation:efee8319ab:

Also, don't worry, if you state your view, in doubt I certainly believe you. Especially since I never rode the ms3 long enough as well.

2 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

I don't feel compelled to upgrade my current MSuper like I did with the ACM

Why not?

Did your wife tell you to say this?:efee612b4b:

My guess is, on 18 inches, the motor power differences feel even bigger than on the ACM. But idk.

7 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Never tried the 18S:efee47c9c8:

I didn't realize you disliked the form factor enough to ignore the electronics. After your mountain test, I personally wouldn't have given the ms3 another thought, but guess that's my incline fixation:efee8319ab:

Also, don't worry, if you state your view, in doubt I certainly believe you. Especially since I never rode the ms3 long enough as well.

Why not?

Did your wife tell you to say this?:efee612b4b:

My guess is, on 18 inches, the motor power differences feel even bigger than on the ACM. But idk.

Electronics are in the background. By a wide margin they all work. So what I really care about is the handling and performance of a wheel. As I said in my summary review of the 18S, if it was my only wheel I'm sure that I'd be stoked to own it. But it's not, so I would always feel awkward jumping on it after a few weeks. I never have that problem with any of my other wheels. That plus the fact that I believe the MSuper is more powerful (less lean required to go very fast). The 18L looks to negate all of the issues that I just mentioned. Of course it's not available.

I really wanted the additional power and snappiness of the new ACM. Those features aren't as desirable in my MSuper, for me. 

On 2/22/2018 at 12:52 PM, that0n3guy said:

Hey all,

I'm new to the EUC world.

My profile:

• 195lb/88kg before pads, helmet, backpack
  • mid 30's physically fit-ish.  My weight isn't from a big belly
  • experience skateboarding, snowboarding, etc..   Balance stuff I pick up quickly..

What I'm looking for:

• Since I have a higher than average weight, I want something with more power than might normally be needed
  • looking to hit the 20-25mph/32kph-40kph
  • 10 mile range (that how far my office is from home).   So 3x that so I don't have to charge at work.. and lunch rides.
  • able to do short hills at 20% grade
  • basic offroading, nothing too crazy just trails
  • Anyone have any good hookups on deals :P?

I recently purchased a Ks 18s and it’s great.  I’m 6’ 200lbs and it takes me about 35 miles on hilly mixed greenway/roads in NC.   The form factor is perfect for me.

I’m sure you will be happy w whatever you decide on.

My advice?  This is what I did:

I bought a $300 ninebot S1 off amazon as my learner bot.  This is key for two reasons: you don’t want to beat up the one you want and you will need one to teacher other people how to ride.

Then email the resellers.  Chat them up on what you want/need and hopefully you will workout a package ‘deal’ that you think is fair. 

To say it’s addictive is an understatement.  I’m trying to get my daughters up on the ninebot just so I can justify a new 16”!

cheers and good luck!

I have a slightly different take.

I don't see ever EUC riding more than a couple of hours or 20 - 30 miles.   We usually stop and look at things or talk to people along the way, so two hours of riding ends up taking up about a half day.   After after which we've had enough, especially on vacation.  Too many other things to do besides ride the wheels all day.  

So, I'd gladly have a smaller battery to get lower weight.  

Of course, if you need to commute a certain distance daily, I can understand wanting more battery capacity.

I'd be interested in a poll to ask how long a typical EUC ride is.  Do most riders continue keep riding until the battery gets too low?  So far, I've never come close to running my 14C battery.  Getting down to 1/2 capacity is relatively rare.  

But, my total mileage isn't as high as many on this thread--somewhere between 1000 and 1500 kilometers. 

Just about the same story on my new 16s.  Only a couple of hundred kilometers so far.

For me, a bigger battery isn't better.

22 minutes ago, DaveThomasPilot said:

I don't see ever EUC riding more than a couple of hours or 20 - 30 miles.   We usually stop and look at things or talk to people along the way, so two hours of riding ends up taking up about a half day.   After after which we've had enough, especially on vacation.  Too many other things to do besides ride the wheels all day.  

Of course, if you need to commute a certain distance daily, I can understand wanting more battery capacity.

I'd be interested in a poll to ask how long a typical EUC ride is.  Do most riders continue keep riding until the battery gets too low?  So far, I've never come close to running my 14C battery.  Getting down to 1/2 capacity is relatively rare.  

But, my total mileage isn't as high as many on this thread--somewhere between 1000 and 1500 kilometers. 

Just about the same story on my new 16s.  Only a couple of hundred kilometers so far.

Hmmh,

its not only range, what makes a bigger battery better. A bigger battery is also needed for safety, more packs means more spreading of the needed amps! Then, the newer, powerfull wheels like Tesla, ACM, KS16S, Z10 etc etc...you can not operate with small batterys as this wheels need -at least- a battery capable of about 40 Amps. Means 680wh/840/1020wh are needed, if not even more....

40 amps at 65 volts is a lot of power!  Like 2600 watts.

The FETS see higher currents, since they are working at a lower effective voltage to deliver the motor power.

Why do you say 40 amps is required?

My 14C 680 wh batteries have had no issues taking my 220 pound body faster than I care to go up hills.

10 minutes ago, DaveThomasPilot said:

40 amps at 65 volts is a lot of power!  Like 2600 watts.

The FETS see higher currents, since they are working at a lower effective voltage to deliver the motor power.

Why do you say 40 amps is required?

My 14C 680 wh batteries have had no issues taking my 220 pound body faster than I care to go up hills.

The 14c is a 800Watt model...(and 680wh is a 40Amp battery btw)

The newer models have a lot more power...Tesla for example is 1900Watt nominal, i guess 3000 Watt max.

Or the 16s...1200w/3000w...thats why the smallest available config is 680/840wh , meaning always a 4 parallel system, 4x10Amp capable.

You will not want to run the 16s on a small 340wh battery....or at least i would not want that.

The actual devices need that power...sure, there are models that dont need THAT much, i just wanted to point out that a big battery is not only good for range.

1 hour ago, DaveThomasPilot said:

Desired range is very personal and can't be generalized. There are a lot of guys out here in California that regularly take long rides. The last two weekends we did 50+ mile rides. Me, I'm just warming up after 10-miles. A 20-mile ride is short. This is why I like wheels that can do at least 40-miles on a single charge.

Just about every weekend ride I take, I'm ending my ride with 20% or less battery, and this is with wheels with 1600wh batteries.

On 2/24/2018 at 9:59 AM, Holt said:

I recently purchased a Ks 18s and it’s great.  I’m 6’ 200lbs and it takes me about 35 miles on hilly mixed greenway/roads in NC.   The form factor is perfect for me.

I’m sure you will be happy w whatever you decide on.

My advice?  This is what I did:

I bought a $300 ninebot S1 off amazon as my learner bot.  This is key for two reasons: you don’t want to beat up the one you want and you will need one to teacher other people how to ride.

Then email the resellers.  Chat them up on what you want/need and hopefully you will workout a package ‘deal’ that you think is fair. 

To say it’s addictive is an understatement.  I’m trying to get my daughters up on the ninebot just so I can justify a new 16”!

cheers and good luck!

good advice. i’m new too and also 6’ 190-200 pounds using the ks-18s in my pasture. pretty sure i’d smoke anything else out there. pissed off at kingsong about my battery charging problem and their crappy app and i’ve never seen a gotway but getting an s1 for $300 and @Jason McNeil has mentioned he has a few 18s he’d like to move, with my only 9bot and kingsong experience, i’d go that way. did anybody mention the seat? i don’t use mine but u might. 57 pounds for the big one but they are all awkward, s1 is nice tho. u could leave ur s1 at work and take it on lunch breaks. definitely get the 1680wh version. u might only get 90% charge capacity like me. i’d ask jason to check that and the tire before he shipped it. hopefully they’ll have the app working by the time ur ready. the tire on the 18s is rated for 90kgs. i forget what the 16” is like 70kg. lots of people ride them squishy but i ride a little over max pressure. imho less flats that way. my ks-18s is definitely the most comfortable wheel i have. buy a one inch mattress pad from walmart and tape it on it and ur done. takes about ten minutes. ugly i guess but it sure works good. wrap up ur ankles if they are boney like mine. set up sawhorses with 2x4’s and u will find learning is easy. riding anyway. i still like grabbing something to mount. i suck at that. ya, if ur commuting, ur size, def 18”. it is different the ks-18s, more fun. my other wheels feel like toys. i’m more of a i just wanna get my butt from point a to point b type of person.

actually, knowing what i know now, if i were u, and u couldn’t get a s1 really cheap like $300 or so, i’d offer this ebayer $600 and get this s2 batman version. we all seem to think it’s identical to the s1 but the s1 has been detuned in speed and range. that extra 2.5 mph, top speed 15mph, really makes this a good urban wheel. and then get jason to sell u an 18s.  if i had to sell all of my wheels except two, the s2 and 18s would be keepers. don’t get a 9bot1e+, i got a great deal on it, like $360 new but it is a funky monkey. s2 reads ur mind. 18s needs a captain.

or maybe a ks-14d to start on but i haven’t been on one but they seem popular.

On 22/2/2018 at 6:52 PM, that0n3guy said:

Hey all,

I'm new to the EUC world.   I decided to sell off my electric skateboard pre-order and go this route instead.   I've done a bunch of research and think I know what I want, but thought I would ask the experts first.

My profile:

• experience skateboarding, snowboarding, etc..   Balance stuff I pick up quickly.
  • I'm not a "speed addict".   Whenever I snowboard, I never bomb down the hills, but I like to weave trees.
  • Not scared of tearing this thing down and fixing stuff if needed.

What I'm looking for:

• Since I have a higher than average weight, I want something with more power than might normally be needed
  • 10 mile range (that how far my office is from home).   So 3x that so I don't have to charge at work.. and lunch rides.

My thoughts:

• Top pick: ACMv2 - Based on @Marty Backe's review, it seems like a tesla but more rugged exterior + axel.   Is cheaper than tesla on ewheels for the 1300wh and about the same weight I think.
  • 2nd Pick: GW tesla - gets great reviews thus far
  • 3rd pick: KS16s - Maybe a little underpowered compared to the new GW stuff.   Those there are some majore ks16 fans out there.
  • wait for: ninebot Z10 - the 4 inche wheel looks sweet, but I'm not sure I like the potential price ($2k)

My questions/worries:

• My biggest worry about the ACMv2 is that its less tested as it was recently released and not too many people have them yet.   Also, do the wires seem pretty whimpy on that thing (from marty's video)?
  • The tesla seem fragile.   I saw the cracked shell thread and thats probably not good for a beginner based on what I've read :).
  • Do I need a fast charger.?  I don't care about charge speed but I don't want to have to remember to unplug it everytime its full.
  • Should I wait for the ninebot z10 to come out to decide? If it will release in early Q2 then I probably would wait to see it and its price.  Its snowing here at the moment (Nebraska usa)

I tried to organize the post so it was a quick skim read. 

i would reccomend the gw tesla it is overall amazing and has the newest and best from gotway the acmv2 is just an acm where they swapped the motor with the tesla motor

the tesla has a whole new control board. i can reccomend it

i think the tesla is a safe bet it has a trolley handle built. you cant survive without one.. im not over eccagerating. its just impossible to run around walking with 20 kilos in your hand.

and overall the tesla just IMHOjust also looks nicer when you see an acm its like a blocky square tank.. it can look nice for at tank but personally its too blocky i think

the tesla has this nice carbon finish and it has led light (can easily be turned off) so you can give it some bling or you can still have some good looks

but practically i think the tesla is for you

the battery is almost impossible to drain in normal use the only time i drained it under 30 percent

was when i tried driving 25 km to my freinds house and back thats 50 km and 20 percent power left

i did it as an experiment instead of using train.

i can highly reccomend the tesla it alos makes much less noice than the acm

the acm old control board makes a high pich whining sounds while driving

the tesla does a little too but much lower...

i mean there was a guy on this forum thinking his acm was defective because of the noice.. but he was told "its normal" and it is

so beaware of that

your choice your money.

an updated model (acm)

or the newest model (tesla) 

i would safely reccomend the tesla ;) 

6 hours ago, Shad0z said:

i would reccomend the gw tesla it is overall amazing and has the newest and best from gotway the acmv2 is just an acm where they swapped the motor with the tesla motor

the tesla has a whole new control board.

No.

According to @Jason McNeil (see the ACM2 page on ewheels.com), the ACM2 also has a new board (better mosfets etc) so probably it's just a Tesla board (maybe with formware changes). So it's not an older model like you think. Should be as up to date as the Tesla is.

IMHO, the 16S would suit you. I am 5'11 and just under 195# right now and it has made me very happy just over 1,000 km.

Also, it does fit in your 20-25mph with it's 22mph top range.

If you are concerned about portability the 16" tire is the way to go. I can fit mine between the seats on the train every day.

If you want something a bit bigger, I would wait for the Z release or the KS18L. Those look amazing.

47 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

No.

According to @Jason McNeil (see the ACM2 page on ewheels.com), the ACM2 also has a new board (better mosfets etc) so probably it's just a Tesla board (maybe with formware changes). So it's not an older model like you think. Should be as up to date as the Tesla is.

in one of Martys videos he talked about that the acm2 still has a powerful whining sound like the original acm and assumed that it was the same control board.. But im not sure

42 minutes ago, Circuitmage said:

IMHO, the 16S would suit you. I am 5'11 and just under 195# right now and it has made me very happy just over 1,000 km.

Also, it does fit in your 20-25mph with it's 22mph top range.

If you are concerned about portability the 16" tire is the way to go. I can fit mine between the seats on the train every day.

If you want something a bit bigger, I would wait for the Z release or the KS18L. Those look amazing.

personally i think the 16s is too slow and the firmware makes it feel unstable especially over bumps.. With extreme tiltback at 30kph

and why buy a less powerfull wheel when you can have something that has 800w extra power and 300wh extra battery??

and its just safer to have a more powerfull motor so there is more safety headroom

52 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

No.

Agreed. I can confirm that the control ACM2 control board is new (but it's not the Tesla board). Although it appears to have the same motor as the Tesla, it's certainly driven different by the electronics. The ACM2 has a very distinct motor sound, with I love by the way :thumbup:

6 minutes ago, Shad0z said:

in one of Martys videos he talked about that the acm2 still has a powerful whining sound like the original acm and assumed that it was the same control board.. But im not sure

It does have a whining sound like the original ACM, but it also has a very unique pulsating sound (I recently posted and ACM2 Motor Sound video that shows it).

9 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

It does have a whining sound like the original ACM, but it also has a very unique pulsating sound (I recently posted and ACM2 Motor Sound video that shows it).

I mean if you like motor sounds you could always download some sci-fi ufo sounds and play them on a speaker while driving ;)

i just think it's better to have the option to not make noise while driving

2 minutes ago, Shad0z said:

I mean if you like motor sounds you could always download some sci-fi ufo sounds and play them on a speaker while driving ;)

i just think it's better to have the option to not make noise while driving

Yip!

And if you want to see fancy led light Shows, you might go into the Disco ;-)

So i guess to choose between the ACM2 and the Tesla can be broken down to which design you better like, ,or if you Need the extra range.

I have owned the Tesla, a really good wheel!....but when i could choose now, i would go for the ACM2, wasnt available at the Time i bought the Tesla.

More battery=more safety, more range, less charging, no Circus light Show

I dont see any Advantages on the Tesla, beside the egg style with LED ring and the included trolley.....technical there even might be a disadvantage, as the heatsink is only cooled by a fan, while on the ACM it is connected to the outside and cooled by the wheel Rotation.

But in the end that's a luxury decision :-) Both are great (for a GW)

18 minutes ago, KingSong69 said:

Yip!

And if you want to see fancy led light Shows, you might go into the Disco ;-)

So i guess to choose between the ACM2 and the Tesla can be broken down to which design you better like, ,or if you Need the extra range.

I have owned the Tesla, a really good wheel!....but when i could choose now, i would go for the ACM2, wasnt available at the Time i bought the Tesla.

More battery=more safety, more range, less charging, no Circus light Show

I dont see any Advantages on the Tesla, beside the egg style with LED ring and the included trolley.....technical there even might be a disadvantage, as the heatsink is only cooled by a fan, while on the ACM it is connected to the outside and cooled by the wheel Rotation.

But in the end that's a luxury decision :-) Both are great  (for a GW

it hink its an apples to ranges comparison but the led light ring is actually nice to have so people can see you from the side.. I just wish i could set it to only red instead of this "disco mode" it takes away from the modern grown up design of the tesla and makes it look like a kids toy.. :furious:

On 23.2.2018 at 2:52 AM, that0n3guy said:

Hey all,

I'm new to the EUC world.   I decided to sell off my electric skateboard pre-order and go this route instead.   I've done a bunch of research and think I know what I want, but thought I would ask the experts first.

My profile:

• experience skateboarding, snowboarding, etc..   Balance stuff I pick up quickly.
  • I'm not a "speed addict".   Whenever I snowboard, I never bomb down the hills, but I like to weave trees.
  • Not scared of tearing this thing down and fixing stuff if needed.

What I'm looking for:

My thoughts:

• Top pick: ACMv2 - Based on @Marty Backe's review, it seems like a tesla but more rugged exterior + axel.   Is cheaper than tesla on ewheels for the 1300wh and about the same weight I think.
  • 2nd Pick: GW tesla - gets great reviews thus far
  • 3rd pick: KS16s - Maybe a little underpowered compared to the new GW stuff.   Those there are some majore ks16 fans out there.
  • wait for: ninebot Z10 - the 4 inche wheel looks sweet, but I'm not sure I like the potential price ($2k)

My questions/worries:

• My biggest worry about the ACMv2 is that its less tested as it was recently released and not too many people have them yet.   Also, do the wires seem pretty whimpy on that thing (from marty's video)?
  • The tesla seem fragile.   I saw the cracked shell thread and thats probably not good for a beginner based on what I've read :).
  • Do I need a fast charger.?  I don't care about charge speed but I don't want to have to remember to unplug it everytime its full.
  • Should I wait for the ninebot z10 to come out to decide? If it will release in early Q2 then I probably would wait to see it and its price.  Its snowing here at the moment (Nebraska usa)

I tried to organize the post so it was a quick skim read. 

Regarding the Tesla and how fragile it is:

I love my Tesla and for me the clip below is almost unbearable to watch a second time, BUT it will definitely answer your question:

The Tesla can take a lot. 

On 24.2.2018 at 12:38 AM, that0n3guy said:

Thanks @Marty Backe.  Your videos are great.   I'm definitely leaning towards the ACMv2, but the no trolly handle (which I know I would use all the time) is bummer.   Are the external/add-on trolly handles as bad as @duaner says? Maybe that just pushes me towards the tesla.

Go for the Tesla. You will not regret it. It’s easy to ride, stable and it kind of reads your mind after a while. It’s a beautiful eHorse that will be admired by everyone around you. And you get good quality, sufficient range and lots of power and speed for a reasonable price. Watch our videos from yesterday to compare the different wheels.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/otwk8fFTsSQbnyM43

3 hours ago, Toshio Uemura said:

Go for the Tesla. You will not regret it. It’s easy to ride, stable and it kind of reads your mind after a while. It’s a beautiful eHorse that will be admired by everyone around you. And you get good quality, sufficient range and lots of power and speed for a reasonable price. Watch our videos from yesterday to compare the different wheels.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/otwk8fFTsSQbnyM43

wow damn i didnt know the tesla could handle all of that.. :o 

damn that video.. he is beating up little baby tesla.. how could he.. evil man :D  yeah it is hard to watch

the acm2 is also a great wheel but for me and anyone else starting i just reccomend the tesla IMO more than the acm2

20 minutes ago, Shad0z said:

wow damn i didnt know the tesla could handle all of that.. :o 

damn that video.. he is beating up little baby tesla.. how could he.. evil man :D  yeah it is hard to watch

the acm2 is also a great wheel but for me and anyone else starting i just reccomend the tesla more than the acm2

Personally, I try not to recommend one wheel over another specific wheel unless I have personal experience riding both wheels to an extent that I can provide an informed opinion.

Archived