My Tesla Triumphs, Tribulations, and Failures

:shock2:  :eff01bbbfc:  I was thinking more along the lines of repairing a broken wheel, but let me jot that response down in your profile, Cannings.  Also remind me not to go night riding with you anytime soon or to check out your "cool" EUC collection down in your basement.  :whistling:

BTW, you don't happen to drive a van that looks like this one, do you?

fMYmFt7.png

• Replies 426
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, Cannings said:

Actually I did buy that van, but I jazzed it up to drive around @Marty Backe's neighbourhood. I think i should get at least one bite.

fMYmFt7.png.5c2b4cb5f186c9423ed56667a9eb807b.png

:laughbounce2:

@Marty Backe did you ever posted a review of Monster or comparison vs Msuper? I was trying to look but couldn't find it. I ended up purchasing one, cant wait for Z to come and im sure msuper x will take a while. You never know, maybe I'll end up liking it more than I think ?

39 minutes ago, yourtoys7 said:

@Marty Backe did you ever posted a review of Monster or comparison vs Msuper? I was trying to look but couldn't find it. I ended up purchasing one, cant wait for Z to come and im sure msuper x will take a while. You never know, maybe I'll end up liking it more than I think ?

No, I never did a dedicated Monster video and I wouldn't try and compare it to any other wheel because it's in a class of its own. You'll love the Monster - very unique for sure.

My next wheel is the MCM5 - hope to have it by the end of the month. Then it's the MSuper X and Z10.

4 minutes ago, Gustesta said:

Can someone explain to me the speed alarm/beeps on the Gotway Tesla?

My starts beeping when I'm at 30km/h.  

Thanks!

default alarm: beep at 30kph

2nd alarm: beeps at 35kph

3rd alarm: 80% of max output. constant beeps

and battery alarm is slower beeps and warns you when battery level gets lower, i think it is 80% of max available output at current battery level

3 minutes ago, Shad0z said:

default alarm: beep at 30kph

2nd alarm: beeps at 35kph

3rd alarm: 80% of max output. constant beeps

and battery alarm is slower beeps and warns you when battery level gets lower, i think it is 80% of max available output at current battery level

Thank you Shad0z!

But how many beeps are at 35 kph?  I'm afraid of not knowing when I hear the 2nd alarm and the 3rd one.

19 minutes ago, Gustesta said:

Thank you Shad0z!

But how many beeps are at 35 kph?  I'm afraid of not knowing when I hear the 2nd alarm and the 3rd one.

disable the 2nd alarm. it is not that important to hear the 2nd alarm. its much more important to hear the 3rd alarm.

i have it on 3rd alarm only. and after knowing my wheel i have a feeling for what speed im going.

set it to "disable 2nd alarm" then you can only hear beeps at 80% of max. and then you slow down. nothing to worry about

1st alarm = 2 beeps

2nd = 3 beeps

3rd = constant beeps

Sometimes you hear just one beep if you go below 30 before the 1st alarm's second beep happens. So don't be confused by single beeps. They're just the aborted 1st alarm.

27 minutes ago, Shad0z said:

disable the 2nd alarm. it is not that important to hear the 2nd alarm. its much more important to hear the 3rd alarm.

i have it on 3rd alarm only. and after knowing my wheel i have a feeling for what speed im going.

set it to "disable 2nd alarm" then you can only hear beeps at 80% of max. and then you slow down. nothing to worry about

Thank you so much shad0z.  Does it also work on my MCM5?

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Hello everyone. I received my first wheel, a Tesla, today and am ripping around the block working on getting more consistent with my turns and more comfy in general. So much friggin’ fun 

Regarding the GotWay app (I’m running iOS 12); I can’t seem to be able to change my LEDs to the way they were when I received it earlier today. Simply navigating to that page seems to have enabled the rainbow spinny LEDs. And I can’t seem to change it from that setting, no matter what I choose from the drop down menu. Any advice on which apps I should/could use to change the LEDs’ pattern? I have Darkness Bot, as well, but haven’t played around with it much yet. Any advice appreciated. Thanks!

15 minutes ago, shinysideup said:

Hello everyone. I received my first wheel, a Tesla, today and am ripping around the block working on getting more consistent with my turns and more comfy in general. So much friggin’ fun 

Regarding the GotWay app (I’m running iOS 12); I can’t seem to be able to change my LEDs to the way they were when I received it earlier today. Simply navigating to that page seems to have enabled the rainbow spinny LEDs. And I can’t seem to change it from that setting, no matter what I choose from the drop down menu. Any advice on which apps I should/could use to change the LEDs’ pattern? I have Darkness Bot, as well, but haven’t played around with it much yet. Any advice appreciated. Thanks!

The Gotway app does not control the LEDs (only the headlamp - on/flash/off).

To control the Ring LEDs, you use the power button.

• Tap once to turn the headlamp on
  • Tap again to switch to flashing headlamp
  • Tap again to turn off the headlamp and switch the Ring LED mode

Keep repeating the above steps to cycle through all of the different LED modes. As long as you don't turn the headlamp off, the Tesla will remember your last setting when you next turn the wheel on.

So if you never want to switch LED modes, whenever you want to turn off the headlamp, turn off the wheel instead (long button press). I haven't tried this, but if you turn off the headlamp via the app, then the LED mode may not switch.

Enjoy your new wheel :cheers:

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

The Gotway app does not control the LEDs (only the headlamp - on/flash/off).

To control the Ring LEDs, you use the power button.

• Tap once to turn the headlamp on
  • Tap again to switch to flashing headlamp
  • Tap again to turn off the headlamp and switch the Ring LED mode

Keep repeating the above steps to cycle through all of the different LED modes. As long as you don't turn the headlamp off, the Tesla will remember your last setting when you next turn the wheel on.

So if you never want to switch LED modes, whenever you want to turn off the headlamp, turn off the wheel instead (long button press). I haven't tried this, but if you turn off the headlamp via the app, then the LED mode may not switch.

Enjoy your new wheel :cheers:

Ahh, excellent. That's why the LEDs changed. I was messing with the head lamp not realizing the side effect! One more question for the Gotway expert! I know there is no correct answer for this, but what would you recommend for a newbie regarding the soft, medium, or strong setting? It came with strong enabled and I haven't changed it, but I'm wondering if it might feel a little better on medium for a bit more sponginess while accelerating and braking? What are your thoughts? I've been a bit reluctant to change it, since I didn't want to introduce another variable on day one; but, maybe in a few days. Sooner, if you recommend it. Thanks again!

1 hour ago, shinysideup said:

Ahh, excellent. That's why the LEDs changed. I was messing with the head lamp not realizing the side effect! One more question for the Gotway expert! I know there is no correct answer for this, but what would you recommend for a newbie regarding the soft, medium, or strong setting? It came with strong enabled and I haven't changed it, but I'm wondering if it might feel a little better on medium for a bit more sponginess while accelerating and braking? What are your thoughts? I've been a bit reluctant to change it, since I didn't want to introduce another variable on day one; but, maybe in a few days. Sooner, if you recommend it. Thanks again!

Regarding the pedal mode, I'm not sure. Soft might feel a little more forgiving. When I learned, hard mode was equivalent to the Tesla Soft mode. Actually it was the Tesla where Gotway finally offered a hard mode that was truly rock-solid.

I tend to ride my wheels in hard mode, but sometimes I do switch to soft when I'm cruising (long straight-aways). Feels a bit more comfy.

For learning I don't think I have any valuable advice. I will say that I don't think you can get yourself into trouble with one mode versus another. So I'd just experiment and go with what feels best for you. Fortunately the mode is very easy to change - you don't have to turn the wheel on/off when switching modes, the wheel just needs to be not moving.

2 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Regarding the pedal mode, I'm not sure. Soft might feel a little more forgiving. When I learned, hard mode was equivalent to the Tesla Soft mode. Actually it was the Tesla where Gotway finally offered a hard mode that was truly rock-solid.

I tend to ride my wheels in hard mode, but sometimes I do switch to soft when I'm cruising (long straight-aways). Feels a bit more comfy.

For learning I don't think I have any valuable advice. I will say that I don't think you can get yourself into trouble with one mode versus another. So I'd just experiment and go with what feels best for you. Fortunately the mode is very easy to change - you don't have to turn the wheel on/off when switching modes, the wheel just needs to be not moving.

Thanks for your input! I'll experiment tomorrow. Cheers.

12 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Exactly this.  One side note, on a King Song you can change modes while riding.  It's a curious feeling (but not dangerous at all-at sensible speeds) to feel it stiffen up or loosen as you hit the button on the app.  

I can't remember which mode I'm in half the time, medium I think.  You'll be fine which ever mode you choose, but DO experiment, as that's how we learn.  Likewise with tyre pressure.  I rode my first 1,000km at max pressure and it was brutal.  FINALLY, I took forum advice and lowered it. AHHHHH!

On 3/26/2019 at 4:55 AM, Smoother said:

Exactly this.  One side note, on a King Song you can change modes while riding.  It's a curious feeling (but not dangerous at all-at sensible speeds) to feel it stiffen up or loosen as you hit the button on the app.  

I can't remember which mode I'm in half the time, medium I think.  You'll be fine which ever mode you choose, but DO experiment, as that's how we learn.  Likewise with tyre pressure.  I rode my first 1,000km at max pressure and it was brutal.  FINALLY, I took forum advice and lowered it. AHHHHH!

Thanks for the advice! My tire pressure is at about 45 PSI and feels decently cushy at my weight of 175lbs. I know people go higher, but I think the tubes/tires recommend 45 PSI max on the Tesla. I’ll definitely experiment, tho!

15 minutes ago, shinysideup said:

Thanks for the advice! My tire pressure is at about 45 PSI and feels decently cushy at my weight of 175lbs. I know people go higher, but I think the tubes/tires recommend 45 PSI max on the Tesla. I’ll definitely experiment, tho!

45 sounds about right, I was at 65psi.  try that for a few yards and see how it compares. (no you won't blow anything up)

• 4 weeks later...

Archived