New KS-16S Issue

Evel_Knievel

Received a new KS-16S (from China) and it's doing this...

https://youtu.be/_bB8JGPABZk

Any ideas what the problem is? KingSong says it's the motor. Not sure how they know that. They say they'll send me a new motor, but I'll have to replace it. I'm not looking forward to doing that work on a wheel I purchased new. Anyone in the U.S. that can repair it?

Thanks,
A

Yeah, looks like defective hall sensors.....(inside the motor)....

As the 4 red led have a special meaning i guess KS knows what they are saying?

It is not "that hard" to replace a complete motor....take of the outer shell of both side, drop out the motor, plug in the new one.

but if you want it done by someone who knows what to do:

there is ewheels.com, other KS sellers in the US i dont know.

• 1 month later...

Just to update you all. Kingsong sent a new motor which I replaced over the weekend. That was an educational exercise that I don't want to repeat anytime soon!

Everything seems fine now, although I only have a few miles on the new motor, not having the same issues.

Thanks for the help!

A

• 4 weeks later...

It appears I'm having the exact same problem, see video below.  It started slowly over several rides, started noticing a very subtle "skip" with a mild electric "diiiish" noise, that progressed into mild kicks / bucks, to eventually these red lights.  It was initially hard to reproduce, but noticed it would happen shortly after doing any moderately aggressive zig zags (or slaloms), that makes the Kingsong 16S moderately angle.  

Bought mine through Jason and exploring repair options, but am worried there is a bigger defect issue now that there are two confirmed owners.  These things are scary enough without worrying about spontaneous motor sensor failures.  Anyone else hearing about similar skips / kicks on these new 16S units?

Video: https://youtu.be/6rYmSo4KXWQ

19 hours ago, Orden said:

It appears I'm having the exact same problem, see video below.  It started slowly over several rides, started noticing a very subtle "skip" with a mild electric "diiiish" noise, that progressed into mild kicks / bucks, to eventually these red lights.  It was initially hard to reproduce, but noticed it would happen shortly after doing any moderately aggressive zig zags (or slaloms), that makes the Kingsong 16S moderately angle.  

Bought mine through Jason and exploring repair options, but am worried there is a bigger defect issue now that there are two confirmed owners.  These things are scary enough without worrying about spontaneous motor sensor failures.  Anyone else hearing about similar skips / kicks on these new 16S units?

Don't get me wrong, but:

- first: with Jason your are more than safe for a good service

- second: a wheel that "developed " a "tick" over the time, and then tell the customer by a red light that it's in need of a professional service, that is what we (me!) want and is a real progress in my view...

- sure here you see more prob reports than happy wheeling owners! From Asia(Singapur:thailand) I know that there is No , absolut No cutout Failure on the 16s and no major, not serviceable problems.....

• 1 month later...
On 6/4/2017 at 0:29 PM, Orden said:

195 miles on the new motor and it's starting to act up as well. Exact same symptoms. Looking like a KS-16S motor flaw to me.

How did you resolve your problem?

5 minutes ago, Evel_Knievel said:

195 miles on the new motor and it's starting to act up as well. Exact same symptoms. Looking like a KS-16S motor flaw to me.

I thought only Gotway makes crappy wheels? :confused1:

But anyway, sorry for your troubles. I know the feeling of having broken wheels.

1 minute ago, Marty Backe said:

I thought only Gotway makes crappy wheels? :confused1:

But anyway, sorry for your troubles. I know the feeling of having broken wheels.

Yeah, I've been reading about all the Gotway problems as well. Doesn't look like there is a clear choice for a reliable wheel. Please correct me if I'm wrong. I know you guys ride Gotway more than any other. Would be interesting to see problems associated with each brand (percent of wheels with problems). 

Sorry to hear your woes. :( You've had the wheel a few months now and are barely getting to ride it. Others on here have the 16S with many more miles on them without issue though. A bad batch maybe? Newer firmware?

With the delay getting my V8, due to customs inspection, I had been toying with asking Jason to switch my order to a 16S. I think that on hearing this I'll stick with the V8. The 1200W motor and large battery were appealing from a safety perspective but Inmotion wheels are, as I have come to understand it, highly reliable.

8 hours ago, Evel_Knievel said:

Oh no!!! My wife's new KS16S ships out tomorrow! Should I start praying to the KingSong Gods? :innocent1:  Maybe they will be more compassionate than @Marty Backe's GW Gods!   :furious:

Just re-iterating what KingSong69 said.  I'd find out what the 4 red LED means. 

Someone had to write code to make those four LEDs (only) light up red and it's indicating something.   That might be a clue to the root cause of the problem.

57 minutes ago, DaveThomasPilot said:

Just re-iterating what KingSong69 said.  I'd find out what the 4 red LED means. 

Someone had to write code to make those four LEDs (only) light up red and it's indicating something.   That might be a clue to the root cause of the problem.

It means you turned it on while it was laying on it's side.  My ninebot does something similar, except the red lights keep flashing and it keeps beeping.  In any case, it is indicating that something is out of parameters for riding.  But then again, I don't know what the Kingsong code is, I just Googled Kingsong four led's.

My m super started doing the same thing, popping sound when moving back and forth after weeks of it tilting downward and oscillating randomly, finally last night i tried to tighten the axel bolts. Just to see if that would maybe solve something, i powered back on and it went into an extreme shaking back and forth "violent back and forth shaking" and then i saw smoke and noticed a mosfet had popped. This means it is the halls sensor that is faulty? should i get a new motor?

6 hours ago, colton said:

My m super started doing the same thing, popping sound when moving back and forth after weeks of it tilting downward and oscillating randomly, finally last night i tried to tighten the axel bolts. Just to see if that would maybe solve something, i powered back on and it went into an extreme shaking back and forth "violent back and forth shaking" and then i saw smoke and noticed a mosfet had popped. This means it is the halls sensor that is faulty? should i get a new motor?

So the control board is dead for sure.

Failed Hall Sensors have their own unique signature. According to the Gotway beep diagnostic, you will hear a two beeps followed by 1/2 second followed by two more beeps. This beep sequence continues until you turn off the wheel.

When my ACM control board blew (two burned MOSFETs) the wheel did nothing. I couldn't run any diagnostics. So I replaced what I knew was bad - the control board. When I turned on the wheel using the new control board everything was functioning (except it wasn't balancing), but then I got the Hall Sensor failure beeps. This made sense because the motor power wires melted into one of the Hall Sensor wires.

I just received my new ACM motor (~$250). I'll be filming the remove and replace operation for those who are interested.

Since Gotway has a diagnostic code specifically for failed Hall Sensors, and you never heard that beep sequence (unless you did but failed to mention it here), I would assume for now that you only need the control board.

18 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Failed Hall Sensors have their own unique signature. According to the Gotway beep diagnostic, you will hear a two beeps followed by 1/2 second followed by two more beeps. This beep sequence continues until you turn off the wheel.

I remember we once had a list here of all this GW "diagnostic" failures/beeps and what they mean....but i have no clue where and when this was.

Would be good to have such a list/pdf in the download section...

3 minutes ago, KingSong69 said:

I remember we once had a list here of all this GW "diagnostic" failures/beeps and what they mean....but i have no clue where and when this was.

Would be good to have such a list/pdf in the download section...

I've saved a PDF version (just a PDF of the Forum topic) for my use. Here's the topic:

17 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

I've saved a PDF version (just a PDF of the Forum topic) for my use. Here's the topic:

Thanks Marty! But i meant another one...it was much more detailed and described not only the meaning of the beeps. It also has some of the most common failure situations listed, and what can be done to find the culprit of that failure and how to deal with it. But unfortunatly i am not able to find it :-(

Archived