[one more GOTWAY WARNING] ACM died on a hill (it was bad cabling + high stress, final update pg 16)

Final update everyone (I sure hope so;)): got a working wheel again:clap3:(also it started wet snowing here a few hours ago<_<).

The insides look good now, see pictures. The ACMs cable management in general is still... well... how it is (until they redesign this, if they do), but since I'm the only one (known) to have their motor cables melted, you should not interpret too much into this thread.

Maybe a few things to take away from this:

• My new personal limit is: constant inclines have to be 10% or less with the ACM, any more and I no longer trust the cabling. I dont know if that is justified or not, but it should be safe. (Short steeper inclines should be totally ok! And 10% is already a lot.)
  • It can never hurt to occasionally check inside and see how the cables look, at least after some high demand wheel usage.
  • Wear protection, cut outs can happen with any wheel, it's just more or less likely depending on the brand and what you do.

Great service from Ian/Speedyfeet in getting this fixed, it was definitely worth buying from a reputable dealer! It seems Gotway are also doing what they can (at the very least when a good dealer is asking them).

--

Fake FAQ:

Do I think Gotway wheels are unsafe now? - No, so many people are using them and nobody else had this problem.

What wheel would you recommend specifically for maximum incline demands (constant incline, not just some incline for a few meters or minutes)? - Kingsong:) (likely, a warning will prevent a fall and a breaker will at least prevent damage to the wheel otherwise) [This is speculation, I have no KS experience, just their hill videos are convincing]

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

• Replies 485
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Final update everyone (I sure hope so;)): got a working wheel again:clap3:(also it started wet snowing here a few hours ago<_<).

The insides look good now, see pictures. The ACMs cable management in general is still... well... how it is (until they redesign this, if they do), but since I'm the only one (known) to have their motor cables melted, you should not interpret too much into this thread.

Maybe a few things to take away from this:

• My new personal limit is: constant inclines have to be 10% or less with the ACM, any more and I no longer trust the cabling. I dont know if that is justified or not, but it should be safe. (Short steeper inclines should be totally ok! And 10% is already a lot.)
  • It can never hurt to occasionally check inside and see how the cables look, at least after some high demand wheel usage.
  • Wear protection, cut outs can happen with any wheel, it's just more or less likely depending on the brand and what you do.

Great service from Ian/Speedyfeet in getting this fixed, it was definitely worth buying from a reputable dealer! It seems Gotway are also doing what they can (at the very least when a good dealer is asking them).

--

Fake FAQ:

Do I think Gotway wheels are unsafe now? - No, so many people are using them and nobody else had this problem.

What wheel would you recommend specifically for maximum incline demands (constant incline, not just some incline for a few meters or minutes)? - Kingsong:) (likely, a warning will prevent a fall and a breaker will at least prevent damage to the wheel otherwise) [This is speculation, I have no KS experience, just their hill videos are convincing]

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Congratulations :cheers:  What an ordeal, but now it's done with and you're ready for summer :)  I still think your experience was rare so the likelihood of you having another problem with the ACM is exceedingly small. Enjoy the ACM.

11 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Congratulations :cheers:  What an ordeal, but now it's done with and you're ready for summer :)  I still think your experience was rare so the likelihood of you having another problem with the ACM is exceedingly small. Enjoy the ACM.

Thanks:) I would not call it an ordeal, just an involuntary but educational wake up call from reality.

I won't push the wheel too hard in the future, not worth figuring out the extreme limits of whatever is the weakest link now;) My usual (did it a few times) mountain tour is around 7% average and has some shorter steeper parts and it worked fine every time, that's enough.

On 4/27/2017 at 1:14 AM, Marty Backe said:

NICE! @meepmeepmayer

I would straighten out the motor A B C cables so they transition in a nice smooth curb.  I see the sandwiched the cables at 90 deg in two places. (TERRIBLE).  They should not do that.

On 4/27/2017 at 2:04 AM, meepmeepmayer said:

Sorry for the late reply. I've been in the woods. That is wonderful news! :cheers: Enjoy!

@Rehab1Is that a stealth dig that I gave up on all the electrical and motor diagrams in your thread lately?;) I'll be back when your motor arrives (and, as it seems, the surprise other parts you unfortunately need now:cry2:)

--

Tomorrow is official maiden trip time (finally the weather is good).

• 1 month later...

I've just found out that the motor wire(of GW V3) is meltable by touching the tip of my electric iron(set to 340 degree C) for 30 seconds.
I thought the insulation of the motor wire is made of Teflon but actually not. The board output wire on the other hand is apparently made of silicone which withstand the heat quite well.
V3Wires.thumb.jpg.9b674d4aca4cca4a80bf4b50a3c856f7.jpg

3 minutes ago, zlymex said:

I've just found out that the motor wire(of GW V3) is meltable by touching the tip of my electric iron(set to 340 degree C) for 30 seconds.
I thought the insulation of the motor wire is made of Teflon but actually not. The board output wire on the other hand is apparently made of silicone which withstand the heat quite well.
V3Wires.thumb.jpg.9b674d4aca4cca4a80bf4b50a3c856f7.jpg

Perfect demonstration :thumbup:

Interesting experiment. 340° is crazy hot! Are you sure it won't melt at lower temp?

Also the board wire is thicker. We knew that, but apparently they realized the motor wires are dangerously thin. Or maybe it is just easier to solder bigger wires to the board?

New wheels have 14AWG for motor cables too. Better, but still not enough.

2 hours ago, zlymex said:

Do you know if the new motors with the thicker wires use the silicone insulation?  I think people bake chicken at 375° F or 190° C.  644° F is 340° C.  I wonder if I coiled the motor wires around a small metal housing whether I could cook some chicken while riding up a steep hill?  That would  be cool to have a nice snack if I make it up to the top.  Or at least for the long walk home... :whistling:

thighs.jpg

Maybe that Marty Backe Gotway GrilleTM idea was not so far fetched!

On 2017/6/23 at 8:48 AM, meepmeepmayer said:

Interesting experiment. 340° is crazy hot! Are you sure it won't melt at lower temp?

Also the board wire is thicker. We knew that, but apparently they realized the motor wires are dangerously thin. Or maybe it is just easier to solder bigger wires to the board?

New wheels have 14AWG for motor cables too. Better, but still not enough.

330 degree C is my favorite temp for soldering because it solds fast. The motor wire actually survived the first 10 seconds or so at 340C. The motor wire is not that thin as we thought, only the insulation layer is thin.
SStation.thumb.jpg.93180350cc438b0daeeab5c98406cf66.jpg

Conductors.thumb.jpg.438c535eb5f03e0e3e5c0f0ffdc16879.jpg

Edit 29th June: I've just seen the outer tube of the motor cable(that the connector melt) saying it is 3*2.0mm^2, which is nearly as thick as 14AWG.
V3MotorCable.thumb.jpg.6e43357113be7b967eebf1c7fe7f9998.jpg

1 hour ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Do you know if the new motors with the thicker wires use the silicone insulation?  I think people bake chicken at 375° F or 190° C.  644° F is 340° C.  I wonder if I coiled the motor wires around a small metal housing whether I could cook some chicken while riding up a steep hill?  That would h be cool to have a nice snack if I make it up to the top.  Or at least for the long walk home... :whistling:

thighs.jpg

I have no idea about the wires of the new motor. I've just tested another motor wire and the result is about the same. This is a very old bicycle generator. I'm in doubt that the new wires using silicone insulation because is very soft. Teflon is more heat resistance and all my Teflon wires(except fake ones) pass this 340 degree C test.
By the way, the photo looks very delicious:efeebb3acc:
generator.thumb.jpg.fe26dbb98a38e5ece8c646f7a57dc031.jpg

morewires.thumb.jpg.8eb03ad66f9e743eae3205c17e3e59fd.jpg

3 hours ago, zlymex said:

I have no idea about the wires of the new motor. I've just tested another motor wire and the result is about the same. This is a very old bicycle generator. I'm in doubt that the new wires using silicone insulation because is very soft. Teflon is more heat resistance and all my Teflon wires(except fake ones) pass this 340 degree C test.
By the way, the photo looks very delicious:efeebb3acc:
generator.thumb.jpg.fe26dbb98a38e5ece8c646f7a57dc031.jpg

morewires.thumb.jpg.8eb03ad66f9e743eae3205c17e3e59fd.jpg

If you wrap raw chicken breast, the will keep the cable from melting longer until the meat evaporates enough moisture out.  I bet it would take two hours at full power before the cable melts. Then at the top of the hill you can have a chicken dinner. LOL.

Can I check if anyone knows whether a 60/40 tin and lead solder will be ok with the ACM 60V temps going through the motor cable? I recent had a cable and connector cover melt situation whilst riding uphill in hot weather.  I decided to cut motor cables to main board and use larger bullet connectors (4mm) and better covering.   I bought good qty solder but not high temp solder .... should I have used special solder ??  I think the solder I bought 60/40 tin/lead melts around c185 degrees C. I have added shrink shielding over the connectors and wire and i've included a pic of the final 3rd connector i finished with the shrink plastic over each plug before I finished by covered the whole connection like the other two with a single shrink plastic tube.  Does anyone have a view on the solder to be used?

IMG_1742.PNG

My understanding is that you should be ok.  In my case, when I helped a friend redo his connectors, we used 95/5 Tin/Antimony solder which has a melting point of 450-464 F or 232-240 C.  Remember to only us Rosin Core and NOT Acid Core as Acid will damage your wires.  This solder takes a good Soldering Iron to heat up and is harder to work with than the 60/40, but we figured the extra high melting point might help in this situation.  This blend is recommended for jobs where frequent and extreme temperature changes and vibrations occur.

10cmerb.jpg

12 minutes ago, SuperSport said:

My understanding is that you should be ok.  In my case, when I helped a friend redo his connectors, we used 95/5 Tin/Antimony solder which has a melting point of 450-464 F or 232-240 C.  Remember to only us Rosin Core and NOT Acid Core as Acid will damage your wires.  This solder takes a good Soldering Iron to heat up and is harder to work with than the 60/40, but we figured the extra high melting point might help in this situation.  This blend is recommended for jobs where frequent and extreme temperature changes and vibrations occur.

10cmerb.jpg

Great - thanks for letting me know and for the pic - i look to use this for any future work I do.  I think I may leave mine as is and see how I get on as really don't want to pull it all apart again.  I think 180C should be fine it's just that it's all or nothing when these EUC's fail ?

1 hour ago, SuperSport said:

In my case, when I helped a friend redo his connectors, we used 95/5 Tin/Antimony solder which has a melting point of 450-464 F or 232-240C

I was not aware on this type of solder. Thanks for the info!

28 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

I was not aware on this type of solder. Thanks for the info!

If used directly on Chips and Circuit boards, be very careful as the higher temp can damage components.  Soldering Wires, it's fine.  It'll work on a board, but you have to be very careful, And Quick!

1 hour ago, SuperSport said:

If used directly on Chips and Circuit boards, be very careful as the higher temp can damage components.  Soldering Wires, it's fine.  It'll work on a board, but you have to be very careful, And Quick!

This type of solder would have been perfect on the ACM bullet connectors I replaced. The job is complete but I am going to file the info away. Hopefully I will soon find out the actual temperature of the connectors when riding in simulated strenuous conditions.

19 hours ago, Thumper0511 said:

Can I check if anyone knows whether a 60/40 tin and lead solder will be ok with the ACM 60V temps going through the motor cable? I recent had a cable and connector cover melt situation whilst riding uphill in hot weather.  I decided to cut motor cables to main board and use larger bullet connectors (4mm) and better covering.   I bought good qty solder but not high temp solder .... should I have used special solder ??  I think the solder I bought 60/40 tin/lead melts around c185 degrees C. I have added shrink shielding over the connectors and wire and i've included a pic of the final 3rd connector i finished with the shrink plastic over each plug before I finished by covered the whole connection like the other two with a single shrink plastic tube.  Does anyone have a view on the solder to be used?

IMG_1742.PNG

No it's not good enough. You need high temp solder.  Silver solder for sure will have higher melting point. Use high temp solder.  Silver solder meaning tin silver is almost 300c. 

@zlymex have you done any experiments with your soldering iron to see at what temperature that Gotway solder melts at?  Like if you set your iron low at 100C, see if the solder melts, turn up the heat 10C, check again, etc?  

I just want to disprove a theory that Gotway may have accidentally sourced an inferior grade solder that melts at too low of a temperature which caused wires to disconnect from connectors making them switch to crimped and soldered ones.  Would you be able to check that for me if you have a chance?

Archived