Victoria BC eu group

8 minutes ago, UniMe said:

Thanks, I'm going to stick with the beeper at 40. I had the tiltback at 50, so.... it didn't tilt. I wear wrist guards so not sure I'd get any feedback from a watch -- radiating cell phone tight to my skin is probably the 'best' solution (no, none of them are safety tested to be immediately next to your skin -- the radiation in this situation is way above 'safe' limits). Ear buds with audio?? perhaps better.

With the bump in speed the wheel wants to do it's oscillation thing again, it starts slow though and is predictable and easy enough to correct.  It's probably best that I keep things under wraps for another few hundred km anyway -- or at least until I get a V11 with a 55kpm limit and the suspension to handle the unexpected! Probably in the spring after they work out all the bugs.

oh i thought you meant you had the tiltback at 40 and you took it up to 45 haha.. hmm, id be more worried about the radiation from the sun from being outside riding than the weak non ionizing radio waves from your phone :P im not too sure about the ear buds.... i know if you use the voice prompts on the wheel they come out of the bluetooth speakers, so in theory if you had the speakers coming through on your earbuds, it should work... however thats the supremely annoying voice only, the beeps are from a piezoelectric beeper, but if euc world can interpret the alarms and make your phone vibrate there ought to be an option to push an alarm through headphones too.... dont know too much about it only time ive ever done anything with alarms is when i get a new wheel to turn them all off or to the max lol

i thought the same thing about the V11, i canceled my pre order im not going to jump the gun... im not usually very patient but its not very wise to order something like this brand new when its absolutely guaranteed there will be bugs with them and new ones will have improvements, plus summer is practically over anyways

• Like 1

Interestingly, I updated the firmware today to 2.20. The wheel is definitely quieter, but also somehow feels a bit 'vanilla' if that makes sense. Sort of ... meh... the silence is sort of weird actually, I think I had gotten used to the sound as feedback for how fast I was going at lower speeds. Now I just roll in silence until the beeper goes off -- it's all a bit weird. I was hoping for a more noticeable increase in torque or performance but on the short ride I just did I really can't tell the difference. 

It seems if I want to bring it back to 1.13 I need to go to 2.0 first using EUC world. That's a bit unexpected, thought it would be more straightforward.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, UniMe said:

Interestingly, I updated the firmware today to 2.20. The wheel is definitely quieter, but also somehow feels a bit 'vanilla' if that makes sense. Sort of ... meh... the silence is sort of weird actually, I think I had gotten used to the sound as feedback for how fast I was going at lower speeds. Now I just roll in silence until the beeper goes off -- it's all a bit weird. I was hoping for a more noticeable increase in torque or performance but on the short ride I just did I really can't tell the difference. 

It seems if I want to bring it back to 1.13 I need to go to 2.0 first using EUC world. That's a bit unexpected, thought it would be more straightforward.

really? i havent tried anything beyond 2.0 so i cant comment on 2.2... but to me the difference between 1.13 and 2.0 was marked, the wheel felt very foreign and a very obvious increase in torque and off the line speed... perhaps they calmed that down in 2.2? you should try 2.0 and see if thats true.... as for changing fw you can use soft tuner to select any firmware you want, or you can use the older app (dark blue) if you still have it on your phone to go from 2.0 to 1.13 because that app hasnt been updated and still thinks 1.13 is the newest fw

• Like 1

reasonable idea, I may do that. The pop-up for 2.0 says I need to do a level calibration with the wheel when it's installed. That stand I got from you looks pretty level -- do you think it's reasonable to just set it in the stand for the calibration?

Funny thing, I had reset the tiltback and speed limits when I first installed the firmware but when I restarted the app they were all put back to factory i.e. tiltback at 20kph. At first I had no idea what was going on haha it was tilting back and then leaning forward, just crazy town! Then I went to bring it up to speed a bit and it just started beeping and tilted back right away. To give myself credit, I stopped short of thinking to myself that I had royally f'd up the wheel and just changed the speed settings. One good thing, I now know what the tiltback feels like -- it's a gentle thing on the XL, slow and reasonably predictable. I expect it could be a lot more unsettling at speed though.

• Like 1

On 9/7/2020 at 11:30 AM, UniMe said:

the training wheels are finally off! thought I passed 200k yesterday, it read 201.7 or something, but NO, the app reset to 190 the next time I connected it haha... probably for the best, I hadn't been out for a few days. Out again today and fully past 200 and reset the beeper to 40.

as @Justin Boivin mentioned, the beeper is pretty much useless at that speed... can't hear it at all over the wind noise from my helmet... will need to switch to vibrate or something. I saw a note from @Rywokast about just unplugging the speaker and using audio on the phone instead... this all starts to make a lot more sense. 

I think 40 is a good speed for a warning, the app reads a max speed of 45 today (Yay, finally as fast as a speed pedelec!!) so I obviously shot well past 40 at one point -- probably when I was blowing past yet another aspiring lance armstrong along ash road :) Given my weight (235) I'm thinking that pushing all the way to 50 on this wheel may be ill advised, a 45 cap seems safer in terms of overlean risk -- any thoughts?

Not too familiar with the KS 18XL, but I think its always wise to have a bit of a buffer zone before cut out, because there are always variables that can make the wheel work harder, many of which can be unexpected. I am a lighter guy (160 lbs), and the absolute max speed (before cutout) on my MSX is about ~64 km/h, so I set the max speed at 58. 

Also I enable the voltage dependent speed alarm, which is lets me know to ease up as I drain the battery. I find this super useful cuz I once a week I have to commute from Vic West to Sidney on the wheel.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, UniMe said:

reasonable idea, I may do that. The pop-up for 2.0 says I need to do a level calibration with the wheel when it's installed. That stand I got from you looks pretty level -- do you think it's reasonable to just set it in the stand for the calibration?

Funny thing, I had reset the tiltback and speed limits when I first installed the firmware but when I restarted the app they were all put back to factory i.e. tiltback at 20kph. At first I had no idea what was going on haha it was tilting back and then leaning forward, just crazy town! Then I went to bring it up to speed a bit and it just started beeping and tilted back right away. To give myself credit, I stopped short of thinking to myself that I had royally f'd up the wheel and just changed the speed settings. One good thing, I now know what the tiltback feels like -- it's a gentle thing on the XL, slow and reasonably predictable. I expect it could be a lot more unsettling at speed though.

yup i use the stands to do calibrations for all wheels, its just the easiest thing for having it level front to back and side to side... oh haha thats weird, that never happened to me before O.o

• 2 weeks later...

Hi! I am new here, live in kelowna, and considering the purchase of my first electric unicycle. So far I've been steered towards the King Song 16S or InMotion V10F. Do you have other recommendations? Something that is beginner but I won't outgrow it within 6 months. I am ~6 ft. and relatively skinny.

Also, do these wheels get noticable improvements each year? I would have about a couple months of riding in Kelowna before it snows and roads get salty so I'm considering if it's worth biting the bullet now or if I should wait until prices drop and / or better models come out next year.

Any advice helps - thanks everyone!

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Jay1 said:

Hi! I am new here, live in kelowna, and considering the purchase of my first electric unicycle. So far I've been steered towards the King Song 16S or InMotion V10F. Do you have other recommendations? Something that is beginner but I won't outgrow it within 6 months. I am ~6 ft. and relatively skinny.

Also, do these wheels get noticable improvements each year? I would have about a couple months of riding in Kelowna before it snows and roads get salty so I'm considering if it's worth biting the bullet now or if I should wait until prices drop and / or better models come out next year.

I got an MSX for my first wheel, and it has never let me down in terms of speed or power. What kinds of things do you see yourself using the wheel for? I think we're going to see more suspension wheels come out; but apparently suspension wheels are not great to learn on as they are too forgiving of bad riding habits (ie not bending knees). I would probably expect new models to come from Veteran too....the Sherman was pretty well received although not without flaws.

Also when it comes to newer models, the first batches often have more issues to iron out then later batches, so buying a wheel that has a tested reputation might be a safer idea. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Jay1 said:

hey, well it completely depends on your intended use case as justin said... that being said, battery technology as well as hub motors and everything else besides the boards for the most part have remained fairly stagnant.... meaning you are always pitting speed, weight, size, power, and price against each other.... no perfect euc exists all have strengths and weaknesses and there is absolutely no point in waiting for something new... my 16S came out over three years ago yet it is still the wheel i ride the most by far, the upgrades are have mostly been very incremental and minimal and no wheel you purchased new today would be outdated one, two, three years from now.. suspension wheels are extremely new and they havent worked out the kinks, theyre relatively expensive, harder to repair, and most would probably consider them an unnecessary luxury seeing as they add weight and size to a wheel.. i would probably not recommend one as a first/only wheel... and btw, out of those two i would actually vote for the 16S... they will get the same range but the 16S is more compact and a lot cheaper... for the price of the V10F you could get something much better in any aspect... unless money is no issue at all, i wouldnt recommend it to anyone really... but in order to make a decent recommendation need to know exactly what you plan to use it for

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys, new rider here. My Tesla will hopefully be coming in in the next week or two.

In the meantime, I am absolutely DYING to get on the road and learn to ride. I've ridden analogue unicycles for years so hopefully some of that balance translates over. This is a long shot, but does anyone in town have an old, beat up EUC they don't use anymore that they would let me borrow to learn on? I know there's an element of unsureness with lending something like this to a stranger, but my intentions are just to practice until my own EUC comes in, after which I will return it to you. We can talk collateral if you want.

If not, no big deal! I'll wait (impatiently) for my wheel to come in.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, EasyJim said:

Hey guys, new rider here. My Tesla will hopefully be coming in in the next week or two.

In the meantime, I am absolutely DYING to get on the road and learn to ride. I've ridden analogue unicycles for years so hopefully some of that balance translates over. This is a long shot, but does anyone in town have an old, beat up EUC they don't use anymore that they would let me borrow to learn on? I know there's an element of unsureness with lending something like this to a stranger, but my intentions are just to practice until my own EUC comes in, after which I will return it to you. We can talk collateral if you want.

hey :) welcome.. oh awesome, where did you order it from? chose a bad time to get into it now that summer is over xD oh well, never really gets too cold or icy to ride here anyways i ride all year round.... have i by chance seen you on the E&N trail before? because a few times ive seen someone on a unicycle there and i cant imagine there are many people in victoria who ride unicycles around lol

oh and btw saw someone yesterday on the E&N who was riding a veteran sherman! no idea who it was because he was fully geared up but i dont believe its anyone in this group...

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Rywokast said:

hey :) welcome.. oh awesome, where did you order it from? chose a bad time to get into it now that summer is over xD oh well, never really gets too cold or icy to ride here anyways i ride all year round.... have i by chance seen you on the E&N trail before? because a few times ive seen someone on a unicycle there and i cant imagine there are many people in victoria who ride unicycles around lol

There is a very good chance that was me, haha. I live in esquimalt and take that route often.

I know it's late but I only discovered eucs exist like two weeks ago. Haven't been able to do anything but watch videos about them and fantasize. I can't concentrate at work right now because I'm thinking about euc! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, EasyJim said:

the early learning part is by far the most damaging for an EUC. I stepped off mine dozens of times in the first week or two as I was learning to ride. I'd be surprised of someone would offer up even a beater EUC for that torture lol

Ride the Glide looks to have a KS 16s in stock (from their website). I do wonder if they might rent it...?

I've also seen people on traditional unicycles while out on my EUC, one up in Gordon Head actually in Sierra park where I went at first to practice skills. I think the rider had a dog with him. There was a second encounter somewhere as well, but the location escapes me.

Edited by UniMe

1 hour ago, Rywokast said:

oh and btw saw someone yesterday on the E&N who was riding a veteran sherman! no idea who it was because he was fully geared up but i dont believe its anyone in this group...

not me :) although I'm thinking I might get a GW RS HT after they have been in production a while. The XL is a great all round wheel but I'm probably a bit too heavy for it. It starts to seem a bit sluggish hahaha ya, I know, I rode with the beeper at 17k kph for ever and now my XL feels like it's too easy to over power and doesn't accelerate fast enough when going up a hill lol 

Edited by UniMe
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, EasyJim said:

LOL your description of yourself fits me exactly too. I ordered my Tesla V2 1500wH in the middle of August (Wheel Riders Store on AliExpress) but they weren't able to ship until Sept 10th or so. I'm still waiting patiently (ok, impatiently!) and hope it will arrive within 2-3 weeks. In the meantime I'm reading, watching, and learning all I can on this site and YouTube etc. as well as buying all sorts of protective gear. I'm up in Nanaimo but Victoria seems to have a lot better trails so I'm sure I'll eventually come down for some group rides etc. Like you, I think I have pretty good balance (not a unicyclist but raced road and mtn bikes a few decades ago and can still hold a solid trackstand lol).

Looking forward to eventually meeting some of you guys. I'm glad we have reasonable weather through the winter; I know it's not an idea time of year to get a new wheel, but I figure this way I should be fairly comfortable on it by the time spring rolls around. :-)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Alicia Besler said:

Hey everyone! Thought I'd pop in and introduce myself. I'm Alicia and I'm one of the owners at Ride the Glide in Victoria, Mike's daughter (who originally started this group). I learned to ride years ago and got fairly ok on them but had a "superman" as Mike would call it off of a Gotway MCM4, hadn't felt like getting back on one and we got out of selling Gotway and unicycles for a while. Decided to start getting back into sales this year (I think mostly because Mike needed a way to justify getting the V11, S18 and now Sherman) and hoped back on last week on a KS-16S. Was riding pretty good after a couple minutes of practice, we'll see where it goes!

Anyway, if everyone would like to stop by and say hi if you're riding past the store (on Wharf St) we'd love to meet you, we don't have many EUCs to check out at the moment but we do have some pretty cool electric scooters.

I think @EasyJim might have a burning desire to rent your 16s -- do you rent wheels to newbies who will most definitely drop them? Perhaps if he practiced in a field or something? 

Sorry to hear about the 'superwoman' bail you did, hopefully you were fully geared up and didn't get hurt too bad.

Edited by UniMe

Friday is rainy, this weekend looks solid though?!

I almost gave up on my wheel the minute west coast rain/winter arrived, but a couple clothing adjustments and it's accessible year round (just 1-2 days a week instead of 6-7).

18 hours ago, UniMe said:

Friday is rainy, this weekend looks solid though?!

I almost gave up on my wheel the minute west coast rain/winter arrived, but a couple clothing adjustments and it's accessible year round (just 1-2 days a week instead of 6-7).

it sucks riding in the rain.. but no more than riding anything else in the rain lol, just get a backpack rain cover and slide it over... this will be the fourth year that ive ridden year round,,, snow/ice is fun lol

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Gang- I've been off the forum for a while.

I bumped into a guy riding his KS 18L on the Gorge yesterday following his daughter on her bicycle.  We chatted a bit and he mentioned a Slack community for EUC riders in Victoria.

Has anybody heard of that?  It's new to me.