Victoria BC eu group

On 11/9/2020 at 8:59 AM, TonyGrayCanada said:

Hey Gang- I've been off the forum for a while.

I bumped into a guy riding his KS 18L on the Gorge yesterday following his daughter on her bicycle.  We chatted a bit and he mentioned a Slack community for EUC riders in Victoria.

Has anybody heard of that?  It's new to me.

nope, i havent even heard of slack lol

On 11/9/2020 at 8:59 AM, TonyGrayCanada said:

Hey Gang- I've been off the forum for a while.

I bumped into a guy riding his KS 18L on the Gorge yesterday following his daughter on her bicycle.  We chatted a bit and he mentioned a Slack community for EUC riders in Victoria.

Has anybody heard of that?  It's new to me.

This "Slack" thing is news to me too. I think there's a lot more riders in Vic than on the forum though, I ran into a guy riding a sherman two weeks ago, he let me take it for a quick test spin; don't think he's here though!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, UniMe said:

@Justin Boivin Did I see you riding across Feltham in Gordon Head a couple days ago, possibly last week (I am truly in pandemic time). Looked to be someone in black, on an msx, confident rider navigating in traffic.

Yep definitely me! I do landscaping work around there about once a month and have to get from site to site sometimes.

Edited by Justin Boivin
  • Like 1

On 11/16/2020 at 5:04 PM, Rob Falconer said:

I just got here. Was nice bumping into you Justin.
I got caught in some rain a week ago and now having to figure out an issue with power switch not working on the Veteran.
Never heard of the slack thing either.

Welcome!

Gawd, as if the winters here were not bad enough, now I need to pine for a sunny day to go for a ride!! Bloody Awful :P La Nina for some icing!

On 11/16/2020 at 5:04 PM, Rob Falconer said:

I just got here. Was nice bumping into you Justin.
I got caught in some rain a week ago and now having to figure out an issue with power switch not working on the Veteran.
Never heard of the slack thing either.

Hey hey Rob, welcome to the group! That's unfortunate about the power switch! I was considering maybe a Sherman for my next wheel, but hearing your issue, and looking at some pics is giving me doubts. The control board is right on top, next to the trolley handle holes! Has the wheel worked at all since? 

I've never had an issue with rain with the MSX, I ride it all the time in the rain but also the control board is off to the side, and also I've added silicone caulking to potential leak points. 

(edit): if you have to change the board; you may find this video useful. Marty fried his wheel on the infamous "overheat hill" stress test and had to change it.:

Edited by Justin Boivin
added link

9 hours ago, Justin Boivin said:

Hey hey Rob, welcome to the group! That's unfortunate about the power switch! I was considering maybe a Sherman for my next wheel, but hearing your issue, and looking at some pics is giving me doubts. The control board is right on top, next to the trolley handle holes! Has the wheel worked at all since? 

I've never had an issue with rain with the MSX, I ride it all the time in the rain but also the control board is off to the side, and also I've added silicone caulking to potential leak points. 

(edit): if you have to change the board; you may find this video useful. Marty fried his wheel on the infamous "overheat hill" stress test and had to change it.:

just to point out the control board on top is not inherently bad,, all ks wheels use this design,, but the holes from the trolley handle have no access to the board and are drain areas for water through the bottom of the shell.. however, if i recall from pre production units (and i guess it wasnt fixed) was that the top "cap" doesnt go all the way around the sides like ks wheels and its possible for water to get it, i guess they havent done it but i remember someone saying waterproofing silicone or at least some sort of gasket should be added to prevent this Monokoleso-Veteran-Sherman-61.jpg

but like ive said in the past... unless its the middle of summer i never leave the house without one of these waterproof covers, they fold up to nothing and you could just use the included bag to hang it off the euc, i just keep mine in my pocket.... ANY euc should be covered from rain even if they seemingly have no problem with it, takes two seconds to put on and waterproofs any euc https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07211B8MD/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Edited by Rywokast
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, UniMe said:

what size cover do you use on your KS 18XL?

i just use the medium ones 26-40L.. the large would work the same but theyre too big for some of my wheels so the medium is just a one size fits all for me

• Like 1

Anyone in our area heard of Go Wheels Canada? They look to have some decent sale prices, website looks new though.

https://www.gowheels.ca/

@Rywokast I'll give a medium cover a spin, thanks!

And a shout out to @Justin Boivin, who was lookin' pretty slick with the gear and wheel at Matticks Farm the other day :)

On 11/22/2020 at 9:03 PM, UniMe said:

Anyone in our area heard of Go Wheels Canada? They look to have some decent sale prices, website looks new though.

And a shout out to @Justin Boivin, who was lookin' pretty slick with the gear and wheel at Matticks Farm the other day :)

hmmmm, have never seen them before, definitely seems new.. and a little fishy, i dont see anywhere a location/ship from location.. and the fact there is no shipping charge or options for those prices makes me think that they are a chinese seller pretending to be a canadian seller.... and this disclaimer doesnt help either "The risk of loss and title for all merchandise ordered pass to the Customer when the merchandise is handed over or picked up by the shipping carrier. Go Wheels Canada is not responsible, nor can we be held liable at any point, for any disputes, damages, or claims arising after the shipping carrier has picked up the items or if items were dropped off at a carrier’s depot location. " in fact, as far as i know in all of canada it is 100% the shippers problem, and not the shipee if an item fails to be delivered.. regardless of any disclaimer they may have by law

edit: the owner of the website has clarified this for us and it is indeed a legit canadian business 

Edited by Rywokast
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, UniMe said:

That's the first I've heard of them, they must be new. No location is given, but its an Edmonton area code? (Personally, I've had good experiences with VanEUC).And  yeah good seeing you @UniMe!

On 11/23/2020 at 12:20 AM, Justin Boivin said:

That's the first I've heard of them, they must be new. No location is given, but its an Edmonton area code? (Personally, I've had good experiences with VanEUC).And  yeah good seeing you @UniMe!

yea im sure they have something in alberta as they have listed a repair centre there... but i am doubtful about them shipping out of canada or having any sort of warranty or anything like that

edit: the owner of the website has clarified this for us and it is indeed a legit canadian business 

Edited by Rywokast
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Rywokast said:

hmmmm, have never seen them before, definitely seems new.. and a little fishy, i dont see anywhere a location/ship from location.. and the fact there is no shipping charge or options for those prices makes me think that they are a chinese seller pretending to be a canadian seller.... and this disclaimer doesnt help either "The risk of loss and title for all merchandise ordered pass to the Customer when the merchandise is handed over or picked up by the shipping carrier. Go Wheels Canada is not responsible, nor can we be held liable at any point, for any disputes, damages, or claims arising after the shipping carrier has picked up the items or if items were dropped off at a carrier’s depot location. " in fact, as far as i know in all of canada it is 100% the shippers problem, and not the shipee if an item fails to be delivered.. regardless of any disclaimer they may have by law

Thanks for pointing that out, there was similar language on the BC EUC site when I initially reached out to that fellow about an EUC. That, and some weird language about data sharing that I wanted to clarify, I also didn't like not being able to use paypal. He got defensive when I challenged a bit, but I do recognize that lots of people have had good experiences there. Everything is fine... until it's not. I won't buy another wheel without using paypal given my experiences with that other nutbar from Quebec.

Edited by UniMe
  • Like 1

Gave go-wheels a try, have a GW HS HT on the way.

Took my XL for a ride today. Not sure if it's because of the firmware upgrade, that I put power pads on it, my increasing capacity, or a combination of all, but it is way too easy to overlean that wheel now. I just punch into it a bit and I get the rapid succession beeps, especially if I'm on any type of incline. It's starting to make me nervous but should be a great wheel for whifie who is a full 100lbs lighter than me.

I also figured out that my pads fit nicely under this old down puffer jacked I had sitting around. Toasty! :)

103 days after ordering it, I finally received my Tesla V2 1500Wh on Wednesday. By Thursday I was riding around a local running track, and I've already done over 60km on the thing and loving every second. It still sometimes takes me a few tries to get started, especially on slight inclines (I'll sometimes turn around so I can start on a downward slope, then pull a u-turn once I've got some speed). If anyone has any tips or suggestions on what to work on to get started easier, I'm all ears! It's hard to find flat roads around here, which makes things harder. I'm looking forward to getting the confidence to ride on slightly busier roads; for now, I'm planning my routes around residential streets with very little traffic.

• Like 2

On 11/29/2020 at 5:15 PM, Mantraguy said:

103 days after ordering it, I finally received my Tesla V2 1500Wh on Wednesday. By Thursday I was riding around a local running track, and I've already done over 60km on the thing and loving every second. It still sometimes takes me a few tries to get started, especially on slight inclines (I'll sometimes turn around so I can start on a downward slope, then pull a u-turn once I've got some speed). If anyone has any tips or suggestions on what to work on to get started easier, I'm all ears! It's hard to find flat roads around here, which makes things harder. I'm looking forward to getting the confidence to ride on slightly busier roads; for now, I'm planning my routes around residential streets with very little traffic.

@Mantraguy to start with, it is very important to develop a soothing phrase and to frequently repeat it while learning to ride the EUC ;)

A big part of my early learning involved a nearby park. It has a basketball court, some paved paths, grassy areas, lots of trees spread around the grassy areas etc. It's like a low level obstacle course. I went there ever couple days for the first month or so and practiced skills.

For example:

Pick 2 trees and practice figure eights around them Then, pick two that are closer together and do it again. Start slow, then go faster.

Go to the basket ball court and practice riding around in circles. Use the lines to keep track of how big the circle is and continue to practice making them smaller and smaller.

Ride along the various paths, some that have corners that are sharper than 90 degrees, and practice making all the turns in a smooth and consistent way. Start really slow, then go a bit faster.

Go to the nearby parking lot and practice weaving left and right between the ends of the marked parking stalls. This was really helpful in terms of mastering carving.

As I got better, combine all the above and a few other things into a routine. Fly over there and practice until my feet burned or I crashed. Take a wee break, repeat.

I didn't have riding in traffic as a goal, instead I focused on skill building for quite a while. I still ride mainly on side roads although I have done a few bike path trips around town. Vic has an amazing network of dedicated bike paths though, Nanaimo is different. TBH, you probably want 4-500k of riding experience, lots of it done during structured skill training, before you start whizzing around with traffic outside a well marked bike lane.

Edited by UniMe
  • Like 1

Thanks UniMe! I'm getting more comfortable and am fairly good with cornering now, although I'm sure I could benefit by practicing that more too. I'll find a nearby basketball court tomorrow and see how I do.

Today was day 5 since it arrived, although there was one day I didn't ride due to rain. I did my first long-ish ride today; just under 35km. I planned my route to use small, residential streets almost exclusively, before getting to the E&N trail (Nanaimo's closest equivalent to the Galloping Goose). Any of the busier or somewhat blind intersections had me dismounting, walking across, and starting again on the other side - which was fine since I need the practice in getting started again (I'm probably getting close to 75% success rate with that). I also got near 40km/h today, which surprised me, but I wasn't at all uncomfortable at that speed. Getting much better at handling the occasional 'speed wobble' as well; a little more pressure on one pedal (less pressure on the other pedal) and it seems to go away. I'm generally comfortable with speed and seem to have a finely tuned sense of balance, owing to a few decades of cycling (competitive and recreational). I'm one of those weird guys you see at stop lights that just stand there without putting their feet down (trackstanding); I'm sure that helps with the EUC.

Anyway, thanks again for the tips - I'll definitely alternate my distance days with 'skills development' days. I can see myself progressing quite quickly, but am comfortable with whatever time it takes to master this thing. I'm loving the challenge so far and my wife is starting to get the hang of it too - she did a few laps of the local running track today, without the need for me to jog alongside her (phew!).

Cool, I look forward to vids of you riding backwards in circles!

It took me a beat to get sorted on the wheel, but I was up and going on the first day. The finer details took more time. I can track stand for a good amount of time and also road dual sport motorbikes for a while. Age slows a guy down though, as does a desk job, the EUC was a fun way to retune some balance and learn a new skill.

I only have about 350k on my XL and constantly hit the 40kph beeper when I'm out. I don't trust it much faster than that as I'm about 240lbs (yes, up 5 with the covid couch thing lol) and find it a bit too easy to over lean the wheel. My RS should arrive Wednesday though... :)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys, sorry I haven’t been keeping an eye on here.

we need to some how all get together and see how many wheels are in Victoria area and try and build a good group ride, I will try and pay more attention here if I can but you can always send me a email at ridetheglide.ca or give us a call.

• Like 1

On 12/19/2020 at 12:46 PM, Mike B in Victoria said:

Hi guys, sorry I haven’t been keeping an eye on here.

we need to some how all get together and see how many wheels are in Victoria area and try and build a good group ride, I will try and pay more attention here if I can but you can always send me a email at ridetheglide.ca or give us a call.

From what I've seen and heard, there are definitely more EUC riders in this city than there are in this group.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm on Gabriola Island, but I would come down there for a group ride if one was organized. I was down there working at VicShip on and off the last couple years and saw a few people riding wheels around. Would be fun to actually go riding with a bunch of other wheels. 

• Like 1