Victoria BC eu group

Hello All!

New rider here.  Bought a 16s from Ride the Glide a couple months back.  Having a blast on it!  Based out of James Bay.  I'd definitely be up for some sort of meetup or group ride at some point.  I bumped into (Rob Falconer maybe?) at Ogden Point a couple weeks back.  If anybody sees a hooligan in blue on a 16s around James bay or Ogden Point, say hi!

Max

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone. Happy to see activity here and some fellow riders. I am moving to Victoria at the end of April and I know that EUC's are basically not legal in BC. Did you guys have any problems with the police? I'm kinda spoiled here in California...

Looking forward to some nice rides in a few weeks 🙂

On 3/12/2021 at 7:23 PM, BajanQQ said:

Hi everyone. Happy to see activity here and some fellow riders. I am moving to Victoria at the end of April and I know that EUC's are basically not legal in BC. Did you guys have any problems with the police? I'm kinda spoiled here in California...

Looking forward to some nice rides in a few weeks 🙂

besides a couple compliments not one single time in over four years... they are not strict at all here about this kind of thing from my experience and the city/mayor is trying to be more "green" and putting up bike lanes everywhere.. and they are in the talks for getting all types of PEV's completely legalised very soon from what i hear

I'll have my first EUC today or tomorrow. Obviously no group rides for a while, but figured I'd pop in and say hi. I'm located near Uptown Mall just off the Goose. I'll post up another message when I am no longer a danger to myself and other people! ;-)

Edited by VikB
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, VikB said:

I'll have my first EUC today or tomorrow. Obviously no group rides for a while, but figured I'd pop in and say hi. I'm located near Uptown Mall just off the Goose. I'll post up another message when I am no longer a danger to myself and other people! ;-)

oh lucky you have a huge area to practice in right outside your house :) welcome to the club :P

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Rywokast said:

oh lucky you have a huge area to practice in right outside your house :) welcome to the club :P

Thanks.  Yes I bought the house I did because it was close to the bikepaths so I could hit downtown and pretty much anything else I needed to do without much trouble. I wasn't thinking EUCs at the time obviously, but there are lots of places to ride around my house that seem safe.

I do a lot of distance longboarding [no motor] and I've passed a few EUCs on my travels. I recognize two Shermans for sure. Not sure what the others were.

EUC landed so today will be padding up the beast and then my first practice session at a basketball court near my house. I'll try not to die! :P

17 hours ago, VikB said:

Thanks.  Yes I bought the house I did because it was close to the bikepaths so I could hit downtown and pretty much anything else I needed to do without much trouble. I wasn't thinking EUCs at the time obviously, but there are lots of places to ride around my house that seem safe.

I do a lot of distance longboarding [no motor] and I've passed a few EUCs on my travels. I recognize two Shermans for sure. Not sure what the others were.

EUC landed so today will be padding up the beast and then my first practice session at a basketball court near my house. I'll try not to die! :P

nice.. oh cool then weve probably passed each other on the trail at some time,, if you see someone not wearing any gear, thats me xD awesome, good luck!

6 hours ago, Rywokast said:

nice.. oh cool then weve probably passed each other on the trail at some time,, if you see someone not wearing any gear, thats me xD awesome, good luck!

I did see someone on a Sherman riding uphill off the Goose on Culduthel Rd in the morning on Sat 6 Mar 2021. I was teaching a buddy to learn to ride a longboard in the school board parking lot. The rider wasn't wearing a helmet or any obvious armour/gear.

9 hours ago, VikB said:

I did see someone on a Sherman riding uphill off the Goose on Culduthel Rd in the morning on Sat 6 Mar 2021. I was teaching a buddy to learn to ride a longboard in the school board parking lot. The rider wasn't wearing a helmet or any obvious armour/gear.

oh, i dont have a sherman lol,, no idea who that was.. i only know of one person with a sherman but every time ive seen him hes geared to the teeth so i have no idea who it is xD

Hey Max, off road riding does interest me. I think it's the natural extension of the EUC as they continue to get more powerful and gain suspension. Battery tech is approaching a place where we may see another power/storage jump without additional weight gain (read sherman etc).

Given that you're a new rider, I'm thinking you're probably a good person to test some trails and let us know how they work out. After I get the calibration and alarms sorted on my RS HT, and a couple hundred more kms on it, I'm planning to try the trail that heads across from the bottom of the Mt. Work trail and then goes along the top of the hartland mountain bike park. It's wide, gravel... but I haven't gone in that way (beyond the trail head to Mt. Work) in so long that I don't remember how steep etc. it is.

This technical issue with the EUC interests me when it comes to off road riding. The thing is that if you get airborn on the wheel and end up tipping back a bit the wheel will enter into freespin in the opposite direction to your travel (backwards). It happens in this vid at exactly 42 seconds in, to what appears to be a very experienced rider who promptly does a faceplant. Ya, the massive airtime is also interesting, but the low height jump at 42 seconds is probably something we'll all encounter eventually. Notice how the ground spits out in front of the tire when it makes contact.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Max the Sailor said:

I've been dabbling in the offroad side of things.  is anybody else here into that sort of thing?  or is everybody mostly road focused?  I've started exploring the trails off of Harbourview Rd in Sooke.

Max

nah never been into off roading... stone bike trails are the most off road i ever go lol

Good to see some action here and some new riders, I would be interested to get your cell numbers to connect for a ride.

I try to get out when ever I can and have rode out to Sidney and back a couple times and Langford a couple times, PM with your contact info I like to get out in the evening around 5:00 let me know if your in.

The official local MTB trails are all limited to non-motorized users so there is no legal access for EUCs on them. You can poach them and deal with people who are not stoked to see you, but the issue with that is it ends up hurting any attempts at getting EUCs legalized in BC. If you can find unofficial trails to ride that avoids the poaching issue since those trails don't have any specific regulations attached to them.

Personally I'm not all that interested in riding real MTB trails on an EUC, but I would like to do some logging road exploring. I'm still learning so that's a ways off yet. I'm hoping to get a second wheel with a real world 100km range. There are a lot of cool places to check out in our area if you can ride gravel/dirt and go 50kms one way before turning around.

Edited by VikB

On 3/24/2021 at 6:14 AM, VikB said:

The official local MTB trails are all limited to non-motorized users so there is no legal access for EUCs on them. You can poach them and deal with people who are not stoked to see you, but the issue with that is it ends up hurting any attempts at getting EUCs legalized in BC. If you can find unofficial trails to ride that avoids the poaching issue since those trails don't have any specific regulations attached to them.

Personally I'm not all that interested in riding real MTB trails on an EUC, but I would like to do some logging road exploring. I'm still learning so that's a ways off yet. I'm hoping to get a second wheel with a real world 100km range. There are a lot of cool places to check out in our area if you can ride gravel/dirt and go 50kms one way before turning around.

I'm not sure it's that black and white, class 1 ebikes are allowed on trails.

Edited by UniMe

7 minutes ago, UniMe said:

I'm not sure it's that black and white, class 1 ebikes are allowed on trails.

Officially they are allowed on Regional Trails [Goose, Lochside and a few others]. They are only allowed on cycling trails were specifically designated. 

I would also note that Class 1 e-bikes are not considered motorized vehicles they are regulated separately.

You are not going to convince anyone that an EUC is an e-bike as it fails on virtually all the criteria that define a class 1 e-bike so I don't look at what the rules are for them to determine what is legal for an EUC.

• Like 1

Ok officer Vic, you da man lol

'ebikes', without a specific definition of what an ebike is, are allowed in the hartland 'dump' on all trails. Just sayin', as they say. And besides, trying to ride those trails on an EUC would suck, I'm only interested in traversing the regional trail that goes along the top.

I'm a bit sensitive to nimby bs and the hyper conservative 'rules for everything' mindset of the CRD. 'more British than Britain', as this place has always been known, with the mindset of a monarchy 

9 minutes ago, UniMe said:

Ok officer Vic, you da man lol

'ebikes', without a specific definition of what an ebike is, are allowed in the hartland 'dump' on all trails. Just sayin', as they say. And besides, trying to ride those trails on an EUC would suck, I'm only interested in traversing the regional trail that goes along the top.

I'm a bit sensitive to nimby bs and the hyper conservative 'rules for everything' mindset of the CRD. 'more British than Britain', as this place has always been known, with the mindset of a monarchy 

I haven't checked the signage at Hartland lately. Last time I did it did not address e-bikes at all and that means they are not legal on all trails there just on the Regional Trails. That may have changed since I last looked as I tend to ride into the park vs. use the main trailheads where the signage is located. And 100% any trail access would only be for Class 1 e-bikes and CRD both says this and directs people to the definition of what a Class 1 e-bike is. 

Personally I wouldn't take my EUC to Hartland or any other CRD park and ride the trails. At the moment EUCs exist in a weird undefined space where they are not legal, but nobody/few people mind them the way they are being used so there is no/limited enforcement activity against them. That can/will change depending how EUC riders decide to behave. I'm not going to tell anyone else what they can and cannot do, but there is no free ride when it comes to access to dirt trails, Regional Trails, bike infrastructure and roads. If there were to be enough negative opinions about EUCs in the public then politicians and police/by-law will start to do something about them.

• Like 1

You will make your own decisions. For me, I would never ride an EUC on a logging road... I don't believe they are designed for this type of long distance travel. The thought of breaking down out in the middle of nowhere and needing to walk my EUC out is enough to never attempt it. Then there is the risk of encountering fast traveling vehicles (insert redneck 4x4) and commercial trucks (like logging trucks), no thanks!

If you knew me you would immediately understand that I am a socially conscious person. The fire road I reference above seems like a reasonable point of exploration to me, one that would be safe for both me and others on the road. It also has some seriously steep sections and would definitely challenge me to learn new skills.

I was also thinking about riding up to leechtown. Every time we enter the goose we're on a regional trail, we have all been successful and safe with this. Driving out a bit and taking the EUC on more remote regional trails also seems like a completely reasonable activity. If I find a place to wander into the dirt a bit, even better.

I don't need an EUC for daily shopping etc., my goal is to replace one of my vehicles with an electric suv or truck sometime in the next 1-2 years. We also have bikes, with bags, that will always be a better way to haul groceries etc. I've thought about using it, but can't really get my head around wheeling it through a store with my full face helmet, gear etc. It's just too much stuff and I'll never step onto an EUC without at least a full face helmet, wrist guards and knee pads.

On 3/23/2021 at 5:38 PM, Mike B in Victoria said:

Good to see some action here and some new riders, I would be interested to get your cell numbers to connect for a ride.

I try to get out when ever I can and have rode out to Sidney and back a couple times and Langford a couple times, PM with your contact info I like to get out in the evening around 5:00 let me know if your in.

sorry i dont visit these forums as often as i used to.. i would have loved to get together on monday >.> ill pm you now with my info it would be great now that its warming up to get together for some group stuff :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi local victoria riders (or potential riders)

I am thinking about upgrading my wheel  (to a V11) and wanted to see if there was any local interest from a board member before I post it up to UsedVictoria or Kijiji.  I am not going to post it into the For Sale forum as I don't want the hassle of shipping it if I can avoid it.

Anyways, it is a V10f. I am the second owner having bought it from @TonyGrayCanada (thanks again Tony, great wheel).  The wheel is in good shape as it has always been ridden with a cover (although the pedals are a bit scraped up from two people learning to ride on it).  I am asking $1000 which is a about half the price of a the wheel new (when you add GST and PST). 

Anyways, if you see this and are interested, drop me an email to euc@daveneufeld.com. 
Thanks

Dave

Edited by DaveN
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Mike B in Victoria said:

..we are trying for a group ride Sunday the 25th (April ) 4:30 meet at Wilson st near skateboard park, I believe weather permitting.

I don't think I can make this one but would be interested to come down some time for another ride, perhaps once Covid restrictions are lifted slightly. What sort of distance do you typically plan for?