Victoria BC eu group

5 hours ago, UniMe said:

I found this on another thread, just updated and live in the last couple days https://euc.world/library 

They are FUNNY!! I do notice pedestrians seem to appreciate hearing me coming, something a little more friendly than a fat boy harley will be nice. I'm thinking the horse track with the  sound of a horse munching grass on idle. The slow gallop sound will probably sound great at speed... will need to give it a try soon!

haha yea those are cool, haven't tried any.. a fog horn would be good for clearing the path I think xD

wtf... so today I'm hitting the buzzer at 34kph all the time... I see the temptation to go faster now! When you're on the road and navigating traffic and bikes the impulse to just out run things or to stay ahead of the bus behind you starts to really creep in! I'm sticking with the 34 for now though -- they can just wait!

Speed wobbles are for the most part well contained. So long as I don't space out and start getting all 'dead sailor' on the wheel and keep moving my weight around and shifting they don't seem to get established. I can feel them start but shifting and staying fluid seems to correct them. I still wonder about the wheel though, they aren't a fully side to side thing, there is some front to back oscillation (by front and back I mean the wheel moves sort of in an S pattern -- it doesn't ever overcome the motor and move directly forward or back. sort of like the front and back of the wheel go side to side at slightly different times) in the way the wheel moves. Unfortunate we can't pull the motor/wheel/tire and balance it like a car tire... it would be nice to know 100% for sure there isn't an imbalance somewhere.

crossed 100k on the wheel today and rode up mt. tolmie, down to caddy bay, past the QA and then up along ash road. nice!!

Edited by UniMe
  • Like 2

knew it wouldn't take long lol,, even though you're still a baby relatively, I consider 1000 km as a total beginner still but amount of time on the wheel matters more than total km obviously.. you shouldn't feel pressured in any way though most bicycles are going slower than that and they take up more space lol... I suspect from your description perhaps the motor is slightly out of alignment... could just be the tire but that would be more like a constant bump bump bump up and down or very wobbly not like an s pattern as you describe,, you are more than likely just overly sensitive to it as the entire sensation of riding is new but it's easy to test just lay it on its side and get any object that's almost as tall as either the tire or motor so it's almost touching then spin the tire and see if you can notice it getting farther away or closer as you spin it... a few mm difference is within spec but if it's a lot there's an alignment issue

• Like 1

1 hour ago, UniMe said:

hey, did you all know we may have an EUC seller and repair shop here?

Any experiences with them?

https://www.ridetheglide.ca/product-category/electric-unicycles/

huh.... i didnt even know they started with eucs again.... a few years ago they used to sell them, but then they stopped for a long time, no idea at all

• Like 1

so I got this marley song in my head... buffalo soldier... and I'm rolling this evening. beeper at 35kph and I keep hitting it, just doing laps around gordon head, down to the water, up, around, to the uni, across mckenzie and on and on. just rolling along, whistling and singing to myself. peaceful, chill.

and laughing louder and louder every time I blow past a anyone on a bike who is on any type of grade, I never really understood how slow bikes are on hills -- or how bloody unhappy the people look as they labor to ride up those hills. beep beep beep, I roll by, dialing in the beeper as a type of horn to let them know where I am. chuckling, whistling, and singing away... I may never ride my bike again :) !!

Edited by UniMe
  • Like 1

by the way, I think I saw somewhere that there is a speed correction for the 18xl on EUC world. is this something I should figure out? I think it's 18%?

Would this mean I'm going 18% faster or slower than what the speedo reads on the app right now?

5 hours ago, UniMe said:

so I got this marley song in my head... buffalo soldier... and I'm rolling this evening. beeper at 35kph and I keep hitting it, just doing laps around gordon head, down to the water, up, around, to the uni, across mckenzie and on and on. just rolling along, whistling and singing to myself. peaceful, chill.

and laughing louder and louder every time I blow past a anyone on a bike who is on any type of grade, I never really understood how slow bikes are on hills -- or how bloody unhappy the people look as they labor to ride up those hills. beep beep beep, I roll by, dialing in the beeper as a type of horn to let them know where I am. chuckling, whistling, and singing away... I may never ride my bike again :) !!

hahaha... you may not.. i havent, come to think of it i havent really walked either xD

5 hours ago, UniMe said:

by the way, I think I saw somewhere that there is a speed correction for the 18xl on EUC world. is this something I should figure out? I think it's 18%?

Would this mean I'm going 18% faster or slower than what the speedo reads on the app right now?

hmmm, hadnt heard of that.. i rarely use any apps... slower, KS and sometimes IM over calculate speed so when it says youre going 35 its more like 30ish, but thats not the exact same for every wheel i think the faster wheels exaggerate a bit more.... like doing 30 on the 14D feels like lightspeed and 50 on the 18xl feels like nothing... thats obviously largely due to the size difference but i have ridden a lot of wheels and i dont think the smaller wheels are over by that much at all

On 8/18/2020 at 2:29 PM, UniMe said:

hey, did you all know we may have an EUC seller and repair shop here?

Any experiences with them?

https://www.ridetheglide.ca/product-category/electric-unicycles/

Oh neat! I remember looking at them last year when I was shopping for my first EUC, but they had stopped carrying them. Glad to see they are selling again!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Justin Boivin said:

Oh neat! I remember looking at them last year when I was shopping for my first EUC, but they had stopped carrying them. Glad to see they are selling again!

Ya, I'm looking forward to working with them. I called over and talked to Mike, he was chill and generous with his time -- told me I could bring in my XL for repair work any time. I think Mike might have been the person who started this thread back in 2015...! They won't be selling GW wheels any time soon due to warranty and communication issues with GW -- can't say that I blame them!

Edited by UniMe
  • Like 2

not within EUC riding distance -- although I have ridden dual sport bikes out towards sooke and there are a lot of non-road trails out that way.

I was also curious about the trail that heads across the top of the hartland mountain bike park but starts over by the trailhead for the mount work hike, over on the durance lake side. If memory serves, it's road width for quite a distance. Who knows, it might even lead you to a cross country style mountain bike path...?

• Like 1

I went for another rip today. From my place in gordon head, over to the goose, all the way through vic west then back up through town, across fort to foul bay and then up and through UVic back towards my place. Honestly, it seemed easy, and would have been even easier if I had just jumped over to Johnson st when I got off the bridge rather than going up Pandora and needing to cut across later when the bike lane ran out.

I'm still under 200k on the wheel (160 now) so it's still limited to 40kph. I have the beeper at 36 and keep hitting it all the time... I seem to have the wobble thing figured out as well, just stay loose, push it against one leg when they start up or shift and carve a bit. I think the issue for me before was some sort of self righteous believe that they SHOULD NOT happen in the first place and the reality that I would turn to stone in panic the second they started and just make things worse... it's all about flow and staying chill...

Edited by UniMe
  • Like 1

nice, sounds like you're getting pretty comfortable on it even though you still have very low km you caught on real quick.. did your wife have a go on it yet?

Yes, she tried a couple times... even bought gear. Not sure if it's going to stick though, she's hesitant and not getting after it on her own.

I did  take it by to visit a buddy who's a bit younger and has a smaller build then me. he was rolling, doing laps around the neighborhood in under an hour. Zooming past... yikes... some people just pick it up right away!

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, UniMe said:

Yes, she tried a couple times... even bought gear. Not sure if it's going to stick though, she's hesitant and not getting after it on her own.

I did  take it by to visit a buddy who's a bit younger and has a smaller build then me. he was rolling, doing laps around the neighborhood in under an hour. Zooming past... yikes... some people just pick it up right away!

maybe something like a tesla or 16S... anything bigger can be pretty intimidating heh.. nice yea sounds like my friends, thought they would kill themselves,, few close calls but they survived

On 8/24/2020 at 5:00 PM, UniMe said:

not within EUC riding distance -- although I have ridden dual sport bikes out towards sooke and there are a lot of non-road trails out that way.

I was also curious about the trail that heads across the top of the hartland mountain bike park but starts over by the trailhead for the mount work hike, over on the durance lake side. If memory serves, it's road width for quite a distance. Who knows, it might even lead you to a cross country style mountain bike path...?

Yeah I may have to spend some time searching (and/or maybe looking around google maps). I've been watching chooch videos and really getting into the deep knee bend stance; so naturally the urge for off road riding comes about!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, UniMe said:

Report back ! :)

By next year we may actually have suspension EUC's that work!

For sure! I have also played with the idea of getting a suspension wheel in the future. My knees seem to be enough for now, but that might change as I try more lumpy terrain.

one more step in battery tech and we'll also have 3000 watt motors paired to 2500wh+ batteries in a package around or <  55lbs. Add suspension to that... and I consider my current learning to be practice for the moment!!!

Thanks for letting the group know that ride the glide is selling locally again. I may need to upgrade my v10f to a v11 in the spring and it's good to see somewhere local to purchase it.

Thanks to all for sharing your stories. They are fun to read.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, DaveN said:

Thanks for letting the group know that ride the glide is selling locally again. I may need to upgrade my v10f to a v11 in the spring and it's good to see somewhere local to purchase it.

Thanks to all for sharing your stories. They are fun to read.

I'll add that I finally got up the nerve to ride up mount doug. Not sure what I was nervous about... rolled up there easily and about as fast as the 25kph speed limit on the road allows. Down was a bit more technical, but also no biggie. Hit 57 degrees at the top so also well within the heat max. It's good to have a reference like that. It also used less than 5% of the battery and I expect some of that was regenerated on the way back down.

Edit: I also swung by RTG today -- nothing in stock yet and they aren't letting people in to look around. Will chat at the door though, which is about all you need in terms of checking out an EUC when they arrive. I was hoping they would have a 16x, thinking it's a better wheel for wifie (she also just needs her own, mine's got pads and a case, is covered in dust etc. best she set's hers up they way she wants).

Edited by UniMe
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

the training wheels are finally off! thought I passed 200k yesterday, it read 201.7 or something, but NO, the app reset to 190 the next time I connected it haha... probably for the best, I hadn't been out for a few days. Out again today and fully past 200 and reset the beeper to 40.

as @Justin Boivin mentioned, the beeper is pretty much useless at that speed... can't hear it at all over the wind noise from my helmet... will need to switch to vibrate or something. I saw a note from @Rywokast about just unplugging the speaker and using audio on the phone instead... this all starts to make a lot more sense. 

I think 40 is a good speed for a warning, the app reads a max speed of 45 today (Yay, finally as fast as a speed pedelec!!) so I obviously shot well past 40 at one point -- probably when I was blowing past yet another aspiring lance armstrong along ash road :) Given my weight (235) I'm thinking that pushing all the way to 50 on this wheel may be ill advised, a 45 cap seems safer in terms of overlean risk -- any thoughts?

Edited by UniMe
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, UniMe said:

the training wheels are finally off! thought I passed 200k yesterday, it read 201.7 or something, but NO, the app reset to 190 the next time I connected it haha... probably for the best, I hadn't been out for a few days. Out again today and fully past 200 and reset the beeper to 40.

as @Justin Boivin mentioned, the beeper is pretty much useless at that speed... can't hear it at all over the wind noise from my helmet... will need to switch to vibrate or something. I saw a note from @Rywokast about just unplugging the speaker and using audio on the phone instead... this all starts to make a lot more sense. 

I think 40 is a good speed for a warning, the app reads a max speed of 45 today (Yay, finally as fast as a speed pedelec!!) so I obviously shot well past 40 at one point -- probably when I was blowing past yet another aspiring lance armstrong along ash road :) Given my weight (235) I'm thinking that pushing all the way to 50 on this wheel may be ill advised, a 45 cap seems safer in terms of overlean risk -- any thoughts?

nice,, yea if youre not wearing a helmet and you turn your head you can kind of hear beeps lol... as far as an alarm theyre fairly useless... can just set up in euc world vibrations or if you can find a cheap pebble watch set that up to have it go off on your wrist and use as a speedometer... cant believe you got 5 kph past the limit lol, was it tilting you back hard? even my 14D wrenches me back if i try to go a couple km/h over the limit haha.. in that case, at least for a while until you can gauge your speed more precisely and get to know the wheel much better, probably yea a hard limit of 45 is safer than going up to 50.... not that i think it would be a problem but if you were able to go 5 over then perhaps if you werent paying attention some time you could overlean it before it was able to tilt you back

• Like 1

Thanks, I'm going to stick with the beeper at 40. I had the tiltback at 50, so.... it didn't tilt. I wear wrist guards so not sure I'd get any feedback from a watch -- radiating cell phone tight to my skin is probably the 'best' solution (no, none of them are safety tested to be immediately next to your skin -- the radiation in this situation is way above 'safe' limits). Ear buds with audio?? perhaps better.

With the bump in speed the wheel wants to do it's oscillation thing again, it starts slow though and is predictable and easy enough to correct.  It's probably best that I keep things under wraps for another few hundred km anyway -- or at least until I get a V11 with a 55kpm limit and the suspension to handle the unexpected! Probably in the spring after they work out all the bugs.

Edited by UniMe