Victoria BC eu group

no no, still at the 20kph, hitting the bell a bit more often though. it sure does complain... haha I have the tilt back at 23 but I seem able to back off before it punishes me :)

2 minutes ago, UniMe said:

no no, still at the 20kph, hitting the bell a bit more often though. it sure does complain... haha I have the tilt back at 23 but I seem able to back off before it punishes me :)

aah okay, lol yea that buzzer is annoying.. but much less so than the voice,, you should try hitting tilt back hard when you have it set that low so you can feel what its like... much better than to experience it at 50 xD

Like I said early on, I'll be keeping the wheel speed limited for a long time. I have lots of skills to learn before I start to go faster. I actually think the tilt back is what caused my little crash yesterday... I've been thinking about it and it had been beeping but I just kept pushing... live and learn! I went to a skateboard shop today to get the wrist guards as none of the other sports shops have inventory left -- not sure why I mention that other than how unusual it was for an old fart like me to check-in with the skater boys. Good chaps those fellas :)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, UniMe said:

Like I said early on, I'll be keeping the wheel speed limited for a long time. I have lots of skills to learn before I start to go faster. I actually think the tilt back is what caused my little crash yesterday... I've been thinking about it and it had been beeping but I just kept pushing... live and learn! I went to a skateboard shop today to get the wrist guards as none of the other sports shops have inventory left -- not sure why I mention that other than how unusual it was for an old fart like me to check-in with the skater boys. Good chaps those fellas :)

ohhh, yea that is probably what did it haha.. cool, wrist guards are definitely at the top of the list as far as safety gear goes... i thought you had some already, i would have given you a pair i have like four pairs that i have left from my ewheels purchases lol, never worn them

Weird thing, I can't seem to get the KS app to download from their site on my android phone. Also can't seem to find it in the app store...

Am I just having a moment or is there some sort of secret handshake needed to get the app?

1 hour ago, UniMe said:

Weird thing, I can't seem to get the KS app to download from their site on my android phone. Also can't seem to find it in the app store...

Am I just having a moment or is there some sort of secret handshake needed to get the app?

lol their servers just suck,, try again in a bit it will work eventually

I prefer this app,, they aren't offering it anymore but as usual some people are having problems with the new app.. this one has always worked perfectly for meĀ https://apkpure.com/kingsong/com.kingsong.dlc

• Like 1

hmmm.... my phone didn't want to allow that app as it was flagged for having tracking features. When I overrode this the app insisted on having access to everything on my phone, including the ability to make phone calls... sigh, it's unfortunate we're in such a strained relationship with China... feels like I need a burner phone now just to update the firmware on the wheel.

2 hours ago, UniMe said:

hmmm.... my phone didn't want to allow that app as it was flagged for having tracking features. When I overrode this the app insisted on having access to everything on my phone, including the ability to make phone calls... sigh, it's unfortunate we're in such a strained relationship with China... feels like I need a burner phone now just to update the firmware on the wheel.

hmm,, if you update the fw you'll get the speed limited at 50% it's on 1.13 now,, and you can do updates with euc world

Edited by Rywokast
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Rywokast said:

hmm,, if you update the fw you'll get the speed limited at 50% it's on 1.13 now,, and you can do updates with euc world

And again, something new to learn. Are you saying that the fw updates from KS will limit the wheels top speed to 25kph? Right now it looks to be limited to 40 for 200k and then unlocks to 50kph. I also saw somewhere that you settled in on 1.14 or something even though the updates have progress to 2.xx something. Was this to avoid limited speeds?

*edit* just had a read over one of the KS fw update threads. thinking I'll just leave the wheel as is for now and that 2.0 might be a good update if I can do it through EUC world. the 2.2 looks to be problematic for heavier riders with a couple getting kicked off the front -- no bueno!

Edited by UniMe

30 minutes ago, UniMe said:

And again, something new to learn. Are you saying that the fw updates from KS will limit the wheels top speed to 25kph? Right now it looks to be limited to 40 for 200k and then unlocks to 50kph. I also saw somewhere that you settled in on 1.14 or something even though the updates have progress to 2.xx something. Was this to avoid limited speeds?

*edit* just had a read over one of the KS fw update threads. thinking I'll just leave the wheel as is for now and that 2.0 might be a good update if I can do it through EUC world. the 2.2 looks to be problematic for heavier riders with a couple getting kicked off the front -- no bueno!

no, it is the same speed limit.. but at 50% battery the top speed will start going down as your battery level gets lower.. at fw 1.13 or below that does not start until 25% battery.. 1.13 is the latest firmware before the 2.0 jump they made recently, it was around a long time and is perfectly stable.

yes starting with fw 2.0 the wheel is a lot more aggressive, it has more torque, acceleration and braking power... this cant come out of thin air though, it just means the wheel has that much less headroom hence the speed limiting starting at 50% battery... i probably wouldnt recommend it for anybody over 200 lbs, even though the wheel is rated for i think 350 lbs, and there are a ton of people way over 200 who have never had an issue with the 18XL, its just fw 2.0 allows you to access more power quicker, and especially for those who dont have a ton of experience, this can cause an overlean situation where there isnt enough available power for the strong tiltback to kick in...

unless you plan to always ride the wheel conservatively and below the speed limit, and dont often take it to below 50% battery, i wouldnt recommend the update... to me, the 18XL is already plenty responsive and powerful, i tried 2.0 when it first came out, and while it made the wheel completely silent.. i didnt really like it, it felt like a new wheel and almost too responsive i found.. im used to riding the 18XL hard and like it much better when you have to do a little work for it :P

• Like 1

Thanks for this very useful information! I'm a long way off from needing more power and the risk of a faceplant just doesn't seem worth it. Once I'm more capable on the wheel my inner nature is sure to emerge and I'm going to push it hard at times, it's a much better option to have a fw that will allow this without risk to me as a 235lbs rider, easily 245 with gear. I believe the weight limit is 120kg, so 265lbs, so I'm close enough to the weight limit to exercise some caution. If I want to go faster, it's probably best to just give this wheel to wifie and get something else.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, UniMe said:

Thanks for this very useful information! I'm a long way off from needing more power and the risk of a faceplant just doesn't seem worth it. Once I'm more capable on the wheel my inner nature is sure to emerge and I'm going to push it hard at times, it's a much better option to have a fw that will allow this without risk to me as a 235lbs rider, easily 245 with gear. I believe the weight limit is 120kg, so 265lbs, so I'm close enough to the weight limit to exercise some caution. If I want to go faster, it's probably best to just give this wheel to wifie and get something else.

haha, i dont think anyone needs that xD frankly i think the update just makes the wheel feel more like a wheel that were to come out today and i think they just wanted to bring it in line with the 16X to make it more beginner friendly and easier to get used to... i dont see a point to it myself, and its a shame the newest edition of the 18LĀ forces you to be on this firmware.... hmmm weird, you are right i dont know when they changed it, but according to their official spec sheetĀ you are right at 120 kg.... they used to list it at 350 lbs and ewheels still lists their conservative recommendation of max 325 lbs on their website.... i wonder if KS did that because of the new firmware and they didnt want to take any blame when someone heavier came at them saying according to their spec sheet they are not too heavy so why did it cut out.....

anyways, the 2000W on 1.13 FW definitely is not max 120 kg lol, i know there are people here who are over 300 lbs and havent had any problems before the only thing they need to worry about is having adequate tire pressure

btw: as a point of reference.. i had my friend who is 220 lbs riding along with me on my 16S which is a 1200W wheel with half the battery capacity, he was riding it until it was pretty much dead and we went all around town on it (his first time riding), including up and down mt doug.. and he was pretty much riding the beeper the entire time.. zero complaints otherwise from the wheel

Edited by Rywokast

3 hours ago, UniMe said:

"(his first time riding)"

Wow! There's no way I would have the endurance for that type of ride on my first day with the wheel... that's impressive!!

younger than me :PĀ and trust me he was aching by the end of it could barely walk haha

Out for another session in the hot sun this afternoon, made it about 45 minutes practicing turns in the fairly bumpy and inconsistent field next to my house.

I realized I was probably going a bit too fast initially to make an effective ankle turn, but they started to come better when I slowed down just so long as I didn't go TOO slow cuz then I just need to step off when I lose balance. I started to find some interaction with my knees which is consistent with how some say it's a bit like skiing. For the turn to really stick (not that I really stick any turns, but I can feel how they might) they seem to work better when I also point my knees in the direction I want to go just like I would on parallel skiis.

I'm still way too tense though, burning too much energy and my feet tend to cramp up. Relaxing continues to be a priority goal.

• Like 2

protective case for the wheel arrives on Monday and I've picked the parking lot I'm going to practice in. We park there to walk our dogs all the time, super quiet, always close to empty and near zero traffic.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, UniMe said:

Out for another session in the hot sun this afternoon, made it about 45 minutes practicing turns in the fairly bumpy and inconsistent field next to my house.

I realized I was probably going a bit too fast initially to make an effective ankle turn, but they started to come better when I slowed down just so long as I didn't go TOO slow cuz then I just need to step off when I lose balance. I started to find some interaction with my knees which is consistent with how some say it's a bit like skiing. For the turn to really stick (not that I really stick any turns, but I can feel how they might) they seem to work better when I also point my knees in the direction I want to go just like I would on parallel skiis.

I'm still way too tense though, burning too much energy and my feet tend to cramp up. Relaxing continues to be a priority goal.

nice! what i usually find is when its at that speed thats a bit too fast to just use your ankles, but not so fast that you need to lean into it is i just tilt the euc in the direction i want to turn.. it works great on the 18XL since its such a tall and thin wheel, if im being lazy ill just slightly lift my right leg to turn left, or if i want to make it really sharp bend your knees and tilt it right down so the pedals are nearly scraping... thats if like you want to do a 180 degree turn on a single file bike lane or sidewalk you can practically pivot around the pedal, but thats still probably a little bit more practice, might want to wait for the cover for that because youll likely end up dumping the wheel the first few tries.. yea sound a bit too tense still but thats normal not much you can do about it as relaxing will just come naturally with how comfortable you are in riding... not long youll be able to ride with a drink in one hand and watching a youtube video on your phoneĀ with the other at top speed, not that im recommending it or anythingĀ :ph34r:

Got my case, all together with the exchange it was a bit pricey but no duties at the door which is always a bonus.

When I first put it on I sort of thought.. meh.. until I looked closer and saw that it also hooks on the bottom of the wheel. Old news to you all, but an happy discovery for me -- the cover locks down tight and looks great. I think it will also be a bit more comfortable. Mine is plain black and I like how it tones down the look of the wheel (more discrete) while still leaving the lights, ports etc. visible and accessible. Can still see the lights, they're just not quite as shiny and obvious, just the way I like things. I could see this thing sitting at a desk or leaned up against a bar in a pub somewhere.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, UniMe said:

The more I look at it the more it looks like a piece of carry on luggage that just doesn't quite make sense lol haha It's quite the hobby I've found for myself.

haha,, mine are always black with the only cutouts being for the charge port, head and tail lamps.. Kevin nicknamed it the stealth bodyguard xD

18 minutes ago, Rywokast said:

haha,, mine are always black with the only cutouts being for the charge port, head and tail lamps.. Kevin nicknamed it the stealth bodyguard xD

perhaps you really are a ninja :ph34r: I came very close to buying a Zero FXS a couple months ago and had many a stealthy thought go through my head lol, motorcycle insurance in bc is out of control expensive... !

It's a cool emotorcycle though... https://www.zeromotorcycles.com/model/zero-fxs

Edited by UniMe

43 minutes ago, UniMe said:

perhaps you really are a ninja :ph34r: I came very close to buying a Zero FXS a couple months ago and had many a stealthy thought go through my head lol, motorcycle insurance in bc is out of control expensive... !

It's a cool emotorcycle though... https://www.zeromotorcycles.com/model/zero-fxs

haha.. nice that thing looks pretty sweet, never looked at e-motorcycles before

Just back from my 4th training session, they've all been a bit under an hour so I've probably got 3.5 hours or so on the wheel. The charge is still above 85%, which I find amazing.

Anyway, today was my first all pavement session. Turns out riding in a soft uneven field on an under inflated tire is a bit more difficult than the flat smooooothh pavement. After about 30 minutes it occurred to me that I might want a bit more pressure in the tire as it felt squishy. Pumped it up to 38 from 31 psi and found the change very helpful.

After practicing turn after turn I discovered that it's fairly easy to just do a quick twist to make a small direction change. Shortly after, I was carving a lot like I would on skiis. I was even moving my arm down as though doing a pole plant, that learning moment felt like a very significant milestone. It occurred after using ankle turns to the point where I was able to weave between the end of car stall lines in the parking lot with about 80% accuracy. I did a few hundred meters of the weaving after that and then decided to shut it down for the day. Honestly, I was getting a little TOO HAPPY with my new found skill and could feel my attention start to lapse. thought it best to let that piece consolidate for a while.

The direct link I just discovered between the EUC and skiing was really amazing and rewarding... I'm still smiling!!

Ā 

Edited by UniMe
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, UniMe said:

Just back from my 4th training session, they've all been a bit under an hour so I've probably got 3.5 hours or so on the wheel. The charge is still above 85%, which I find amazing.

Anyway, today was my first all pavement session. Turns out riding in a soft uneven field on an under inflated tire is a bit more difficult than the flat smooooothh pavement. After about 30 minutes it occurred to me that I might want a bit more pressure in the tire as it felt squishy. Pumped it up to 38 from 31 psi and found the change very helpful.

After practicing turn after turn I discovered that it's fairly easy to just do a quick twist to make a small direction change. Shortly after, I was carving a lot like I would on skiis. I was even moving my arm down as though doing a pole plant, that learning moment felt like a very significant milestone. It occurred after using ankle turns to the point where I was able to weave between the end of car stall lines in the parking lot with about 80% accuracy. I did a few hundred meters of the weaving after that and then decided to shut it down for the day. Honestly, I was getting a little TOO HAPPY with my new found skill and could feel my attention start to lapse. thought it best to let that piece consolidate for a while.

The direct link I just discovered between the EUC and skiing was really amazing and rewarding... I'm still smiling!!

Ā 

nice, yup best battery life relatively on the 18XL, be even better with a properly inflated tire... easiest way to tell is just stand on it and take a pic, there should just be a small flat spot when stood still.. some people like it harder or softer for various reasons but thats a good way to do it, the more psi the quicker the turning and the wheel will feel more snappy, less psi and the wheel will feel sluggish but have better shock absorption just make sure it never bottoms out over anything thats too low... and the tell tale sign of too much psi is that the wheel slightly weaves around a bit like a snake when youre riding a straight lineĀ 

• Like 1