What Do You Do with Your EUC at Your Destination?

Clovis

Hi, I'm new to this forum so forgive me if this topic has already been discussed.  I'm thinking of getting a Kingsong KS18 but I guess my question would apply to all EUCs.  Since the Kingsong KS18 is one of the larger wheels on the market, I was wondering what people do with their wheel when they reach their destination.  For example, I currently ride a Ninebot E+ and take it with me grocery shopping.  When I get to the store, I usually just pick it up and throw it in the shopping cart while I shop.  Would I be able to comfortably pick up the KS18 and throw it in my shopping cart?  What about other destinations like the shopping mall, gym, or cinema?  It looks like the KS18 may be possible to lock through its spoked wheel, but not really sure if that would be safe.  Do you "walk it" with you at your destination?  Any feedback would be helpful before I purchase the KS18.  Thanks.

I've used one of those small bike cable locks to secure my EUC to things when I was in a coffee shop and needed to go to the bathroom. I don't think I would ever leave it locked up at a bicycle stand for example, especially an outdoor one. It definitely must be tricky for the 18-inch and bigger wheels, you really can't carry those comfortably.

@Clovis obviously on the the points of using the euc is so its portable enough that you can take it with you everywhere. I never leave mine outside. Whether on a chain or not i dont think its the best thing to do. I only ride it if i know with high certainty i can take it in with me. So i dont take it to the movies, as they wont let it in. You can probably put ks18 into a shopping cart, i have done it many times, but perhaps if you are concerned with the size, maybe you should go for gotway msuper which is not as tall. I dont know where you are located but in new york they will let you in almost any restaurant or almost any building with an euc that you can just roll in. Id be afraid to leave it outside. The bigger ks18 size is kinda pushing it. They will still let you in but its approaching the size where someone may say its too big to be inside, as you cant really put it under your chair, etc.

so id plan on taking yhe wheel with you wherever they allow you, and they will allow in most places. Be orepared that a big one like ks18 will be slightly more controvercial in some of the places, but will probably pass.

14 hours ago, steve454 said:

It looks like he's hiding it from that motorcycle policeman;)

Good observation. And it's Germany too (Deutchland) so heir Fuzz would not be amused. But isn't that a long way to fall when the Ninebot handle breaks?

Amazingly fearless in falling down stairs.

@Clovis, back to the topic, I always take the wheel with me inside and in the train often in front of my seat. I do consider size and weight relevant parameters for this kind of commuting use and I don't think the KS18 would do it for me. I guess the priorities are different for those who use the wheel mainly for touring or sports.

3 minutes ago, MetricUSA said:

Can you not lay it down and slide it underneath seat on a train/bus?

There is often not enough space under the seat even for a smaller wheel, so I essentially gave up on this idea.

You must have lower seats then in America, I slide my Ninebot mini underneatheverydaay and could do the same with the dualy airwheel if I didn't load all the 'fashion' skulls to body, they rather come off too easy... But the bus has bench seats not individual mounted seats...

I trolley my big old MS3 around everywhere I go, without problems, wheel in one hand, shopping basket in the other. But I wouldn't let it out of my sight, chained or not.

When I am stopped by the lake or river I can usually find a tree to park it against, but if not, it is fine lying on the ground, where it provides a useful flat surface for the serving of hot drinks from a flask or the tripod-steady taking of photos.

2 hours ago, MetricUSA said:

You must have lower seats then in America

Not so much that the seats themselves are too low, but that the space under them is often not entirely open free space.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/1/2017 at 2:14 PM, Cloud said:

I never leave mine outside. Whether on a chain or not i dont think its the best thing to do. I only ride it if i know with high certainty i can take it in with me.

I like to put my 16-inch wheel in the shopping cart while I am in the store. On the rare occasions that I lock the wheel outside the store, I only do so if there is a location available very close to the entrance where many people are walking by. 

My wheel gets trolleyed round supermarkets and shops (wheel in one hand, basket in the other), and goes under the table in restaurants or coffee bars. On the whole I don't leave it anywhere unguarded, except perhaps when I find myself alone in large country parks, where I might park it against a tree and let it briefly out of my sight while I'm taking photos in the surrounding area. I will leave it in the car while going to get petrol, but only then because it's not visible behind the drivers seat, and the whole area is covered by CCTV. That's an expensive wheel, and I plan to hold on to it :)

Ninebot One (app) has a 'lock' function. When activated the bot powers off. Attempting to move or lift the bot while locked results in a bot shaking effect. It would probably scare off the potential pedestrian thief. Only the bot owner can unlock the bot when it is in locked mode. To unlock the bot one uses the app and the bot powers back on and self levels again.

Do other EUCs (Gotway, IPS, Kingsong have app bot-locking as a feature)?

I usually carry a backpack and dump it next to the locked bot along with my headgear, then do the shopping and keep my fingers crossed that the 'locked bot' will still be there after grocery shopping (<30 min). Ninebot has no place to thread a cable lock but I wrap one around the handle and an adjacent hand rail. It looks secure but the cable lock can be 'unwrapped' from the bot handle.

I'd never thought of putting it into a grocery cart. Sounds like a good idea.

9 hours ago, Bob Eisenman said:

Attempting to move or lift the bot while locked results in a bot shaking effect.

Interesting feature, hadn't thought about that idea. Of course it could also make a loud beeping noise. 

I'd never thought of putting it into a grocery cart. Sounds like a good idea.

I don't know if this works for everyone everywhere, but here in the UK, my MS3 fits perfectly under a trolley and can be used to power it round the shop (once you get used to how steering works). 

Attempting to move or lift the bot while locked results in a bot shaking effect.

Interesting. If I was designing that system it would be dispensing maximum shaking, loud alarms and ultimately, electric shocks through the handle. Seems a shame not to deploy all that power we have under our shells for theft discouragement. Oh, but then we do need enough power to get home having incapacitated the thief...

I can just see it though - returning to your unchained wheel to find 6 people laid out unconscious around it :)

2 hours ago, Mono said:

Interesting feature, hadn't thought about that idea. Of course it could also make a loud beeping noise. 

One word of caution about using the Ninebot App lock. Typically the bot tips out of level when leaning against an object, locked and auto-powered off by the app lock feature.

Once I app locked the bot while it was leaning against a Park bench with over extending seat planks. When I used the app to unlock the bot the unit powered on and the bot auto leveled the foam cover rotated into the level position and became forced under the seat slat resulting in a slight tear to the foam cover (but no damage to the inner contents of either battery or motherboard board).

Rule of thumb, no 'overhead' obstructions when using Ninebot app lock.

20 hours ago, Bob Eisenman said:

Ninebot One (app) has a 'lock' function. When activated the bot powers off. Attempting to move or lift the bot while locked results in a bot shaking effect. It would probably scare off the potential pedestrian thief. Only the bot owner can unlock the bot when it is in locked mode. To unlock the bot one uses the app and the bot powers back on and self levels again.

Pretty sure Ninebot is the only one that has that feature.:thumbup:  I might even start using it, I take it to work and leave it in the car in case I want to stop and ride on the way home.  

11 hours ago, Mono said:

And even better than a loud beeping noise, it could start spinning the tire at high speed, just for a second so when the thief is startled and drops it, it doesn't take off and run in to something.

Archived