Maximum speed

Lex

Probably the motor of the IPS Lhotz is powerful enough to go a lot faster than 20 km/h.

The 'software' maximum speed is 16 km/h, after that the machine will protest and eventually even shut down if pressed beyond 20 km/h. I tested that and it hurt.

Is there a tweak or hack or special app with which I can set the maximum speed to 25 km/h ?

I'm not 100% sure on this, but I doubt it is possible to change the maximum speeds, as it's (probably) up to the motor driving logics in the firmware. Essentially, you'd need to be able to reprogram the wheel firmware, and as the chip may not be reprogrammable, you'd need to replace the chip on the mainboard with another similar one that has modified firmware. The firmware source is not available, so you'd need to copy the program from current chip, figure out what part does what (not easy, since it will be in architecture specific binary machine language, not in any "human readable" programming language) and modify exactly the right part without breaking any other functionality. Not easy even for a person who works with embedded systems programming and knows his way around hardware, and requires special tools, like chip-programming boards.

Your Lhotz should not cut-out. The behaviour of the pedal-tilt-back ought to prevent over-leaning beyond the 20kph mark. I would recommend you speak to your distributor/reseller.

We sell the T350/121, from what I've been told from the IPS rep, it's identical underneath to the Lhotz. With this Wheel (the 121), it's practically impossibly to out-lean & therefore exceed the design limits.  

it's practically impossibly to out-lean 

I tried to accelerate as fast as possible uphill, that might have been too extreme an action.

Also I am able to push the EUC through the tilt into the beep zone easily.

Now I'm trying (using the app to monitor the speed) to get a good sense for this tilt feedback (at 16 km/h), because I mostly can't hear the beep (at 18 km/h).

Hence the request for more speed: I believe it actually will be safer.

• 3 weeks later...

[...]

Hence the request for more speed: I believe it actually will be safer.

Only until you faceplant going 30km/h. This, you might only do once. 

I just read on the IPS website that seemed to suggest that the 19.9 km/h speed is what they call their rated speed.  Don't go believing what I say next to be gospel but it would seem that their maximum speed (Especially for models I122, T260/350) is at 25 km/h.  Not pushed this speed myself so can't confirm.

http://en.iamips.com/ips122.html

• 10 months later...
On ‎7‎/‎8‎/‎2015 at 4:20 AM, Lex said:

I tried to accelerate as fast as possible uphill, that might have been too extreme an action.

In my opinion that was definitely too extreme an action. Even a good hill-climbing wheel is under severe load going uphill. You'll overwhelm it if you try to accelerate.

• 1 month later...

Well IF you have the version of the Xima that does 30km/h you can go 30km/h. There are 2 versions of the Xima, only the new one can go 30km/h.

image.png

(This was only for testing I never go 30 regularly)

Cruising speed for me is 25-27 km/h (the double beep) and never ride the continus tone for long periods (only straits) and almost never the tiltback as I want some reserve.

Do I need to put a disclaimer here that just becoes I ride like this you might ride the wheel differently and so for you this might not be possible or even dangerous  :-)

Just ride within your limits and learn your wheel slowly!

On 7/30/2015 at 5:26 AM, Casey said:

what do you think of the lhotz? Worth the price, nimble vs stable, wider tire size, etc.?

I have an Lhotz too (the 30 kph version) and it is fantastic!

The wider tyre makes for an awesome ride - it is extremely stable right down to (below) walking speed, and it also holds it's own going 25+ kph on loose metal / gravel. It is still agile though (once you get used to not having a large "battery box" to cling to), provided have the right amount of air in the tyre.

I also think it has a great look - I have the black version - with no visible "battery box."

Over here in New Zealand they are definitely not cheap (if you buy local for warranty and support), but still definitely worth it.

Archived