What's in a name, and a picture paints a thousand words.

Smoother

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My avatar's a crop from a larger old picture taken some time in 2008 (I still had that "short" hair at the time ;)). esaj is my firstname and surname initial written together without any capitalization. 

Oh yeah, and I'm naked in the original picture where the avatar's cropped from, but the original's been destroyed a long time ago...

"Oh yeah, and I'm naked in the original picture where the avatar's cropped from, but the original's been destroyed a long time ago..."

I soooo did not need to know that ? Too much sharing me thinks?

Im out of reps today.  pimp Greg got most of them, but I'll give you one for that over-share, tomorrow, although it doesn't look like you need any.

41 minutes ago, Smoother said:

"Oh yeah, and I'm naked in the original picture where the avatar's cropped from, but the original's been destroyed a long time ago..."

I soooo did not need to know that ? Too much sharing me thinks?

Nothing to scream home about. Finnish sisu has its own ways. It's all natural.

I have used the 16bitSprite handle for years.

Both my name and avatar are a throwback to my youth in a time where pixels rather than polygons reigned supreme in video games.

Gaming was my sanity and my escape back then. I would share my laughter, tears and frustrations with my games. They were kind of like a third parent that was always there for me. Now days I don't play much. I still have them laying about, but now they serve as a reminder to me to be a more supportive and interactive dad to my boys than what I grew up with. To this day, these games still hold the fond memories of my younger years.

16bit is the era of gaming I mainly grew up with. Usually it is associated with either the Super Nintendo or Sega Genesis.

A 'Sprite' is one of the moving images that move about on the screen's background.

My profile picture is a take on the cover art for a  Nintendo game called 'duck hunt'. It replaces the duck on the artwork with Gizmoduck. Gizmoduck is an old superhero who would roll around on a single wheel and save the day. Seemed appropriate for the forum.

I was touring beautiful New Zealand about one year ago where I met a cosmopolitan US citizen who was travelling along the same route for some time. We talked a lot about almost anything, One day she said "so you're a Renaissance man..." and I had to ask her what she meant by that. It was meant as a flattering reference to my various interests similar to those of widely educated Renaissance men at their time, she said. - No matter whether that was justifiable, and I absolutely don't make any claims on that, but it was the biggest compliment I have received over a long time and it stuck. The avatar picture followed naturally.

Cloud is an abbreviation from Cloudburst which for some unknown reason was one of my favorite words / image when i was learning english as a child. My avatar picture reflects a relation to dinosaur hunting ( being my hobby) combined with riding a unicycle. My avatar picture was obtained not without some pressure from @Hunka Hunka Burning Love And was actually edited by him to create a perfectly white background :) 

A Cerbera is a supercar made by TVR, but I picked it as a username for all forums because I like the word, and I appreciate its connotations with Cerberus, the 3 headed wolf-stylee guardian of the underworld, which is very much how I see myself these days :)

Hmm where to begin where to begin... The movie "Lilo and Stitch" was pretty inspirational and meaningful to me.  Ohana means family.  I thought the soundtrack was pretty good, and that one lyric "Ima just a hunka hunka burning love, Ima hunka hunka burning love" kinda stuck so that was my defining moment.  :innocent1: 

This is all very informative and interesting.  I feel that contributors to this thread have become more real, more like people with hopes, dreams, fears, desires, disappointments,  and not just meaningless pictures and words.

@16bitSprite that was a powerful share. I'm sure I'm joined by everyone here in saluting you for finding a better way, and not creating a destructive cycle in the history of your family.  Only good things can come from that, now and long into the future. And on a lighter note, thanks for introducing me to Gizmoduck, the first EUC rider indeed, I had to look real hard at your Avitar to see him/ her.  

@RenaissanceMan you dog you! Was she cute too? Don't answer that. I have a picture in my mind ( a decent picture) and I want to keep it.

@Cloud I can just see you in your crib going " cloudburst....cloudburst " over and over.  What is the origin of your dinosaur? He looks familiar but I can't place him.

@Hunka Hunka Burning Love I'm never sure if you're being serious. "Lilo and Stitch" ! Really? You're either a lot younger than I thought, or you watch movies with your kids. Either is a good explanation.  And all this time I thought you were an Elvis fan.  What is that Avitar, Lego movie?

@Cerbera I knew I'd heard that name before. You see yourself as a guardian of the underworld!!?? Wow. That's really deep (pun intended).  I'll try not to piss YOU off, SIR! ????

Vik's is (as many could tell) a derivative of my real name - Viktor.

And when it comes to my avatar - I had a siamese cat for 20 years ago and this picture reflects the temper and personality of them so good! I smile every time I look at it :)

It is merely a sausage being devoured but the original picture (not mine though) is just great anyway:

45943630_b2c8dfd0e8_z.jpg

5 hours ago, Smoother said:

This is all very informative and interesting.  I feel that contributors to this thread have become more real, more like people with hopes, dreams, fears, desires, disappointments,  and not just meaningless pictures and words.

@16bitSprite that was a powerful share. I'm sure I'm joined by everyone here in saluting you for finding a better way, and not creating a destructive cycle in the history of your family.  Only good things can come from that, now and long into the future. And on a lighter note, thanks for introducing me to Gizmoduck, the first EUC rider indeed, I had to look real hard at your Avitar to see him/ her.  

@RenaissanceMan you dog you! Was she cute too? Don't answer that. I have a picture in my mind ( a decent picture) and I want to keep it.

@Cloud I can just see you in your crib going " cloudburst....cloudburst " over and over.  What is the origin of your dinosaur? He looks familiar but I can't place him.

@Hunka Hunka Burning Love I'm never sure if you're being serious. "Lilo and Stitch" ! Really? You're either a lot younger than I thought, or you watch movies with your kids. Either is a good explanation.  And all this time I thought you were an Elvis fan.  What is that Avitar, Lego movie?

@Cerbera I knew I'd heard that name before. You see yourself as a guardian of the underworld!!?? Wow. That's really deep (pun intended).  I'll try not to piss YOU off, SIR! ????

@Smoother i have no idea what kind of dinisaur it is, perhaps its a new species. I imagine there werent too many out there  in jurassic times riding a unicycke availabke enough for a photographer to catch the right moment, so when i saw that photo, i figured, its as good as it gets, and grabbed it!

1 hour ago, Vik's said:

And when it comes to my avatar - I had a siamese cat for 20 years ago and this picture reflects the temper and personality of them so good! I smile every time I look at it :)

It is merely a sausage being devoured but the original picture (not mine though) is just great anyway:

That is an excellent cat. I like the maximum claws and those beautiful eyes :) No wonder you smile.

This is mine, to very briefly go off-topic. 

well-done2.jpg

I know, I know - too many cats on the internet. It's not true though - there can never be enough pictures of cats on the internet :)

CBR

11 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

That is an excellent cat. I like the maximum claws and those beautiful eyes :) No wonder you smile.

This is mine, to very briefly go off-topic. 

well-done2.jpg

I know, I know - too many cats on the internet. It's not true though - there can never be enough pictures of cats on the internet :)

CBR

British shorthair! I had an Russian blue - same colour and the fur is just cosmic!

5 hours ago, Vik's said:

Did anyone else think this cat had a really messed up tongue at first glance? I was all like "Damn!! what is wrong with that cat's... Oh wait. Now I see."

1 hour ago, 16bitSprite said:

Did anyone else think this cat had a really messed up tongue at first glance? I was all like "Damn!! what is wrong with that cat's... Oh wait. Now I see."

Hehe... Now as you said that it could look like it's a tongue. But in reality it's just the end of sausage party :)

12 hours ago, Vik's said:

@Vik's until I saw the photo close up I wondered for a long time what kind of animal it was.  The way it was holding and eating, it reminded me of an otter.  Siamese cats are great, the coloring is unique.

With the claws out like that, he is not giving up his food without a fight!

7 hours ago, steve454 said:

@Vik's until I saw the photo close up I wondered for a long time what kind of animal it was.  The way it was holding and eating, it reminded me of an otter.  Siamese cats are great, the coloring is unique.

With the claws out like that, he is not giving up his food without a fight!

The mystery is gone now ;)

Otter?

1326811.gif

One of my avatars too))

@16bitSprite. Messed up tongue? yeah I can see that. But if you've been owned by as many cats as I have (up to four at one time) you'd have recognised that clumsy ten claw grip, anywhere ?.  Opposable thumbs anyone? Siamese? I remember these for having two distinct characteristics 1. A piercing and persistent  meow like an angry baby. And 2. Liking to climb up high, and I guess 3. Liking to ambush people from the high places in #2.

@Cerbera I've had three of these blues. Nice personalities all of them.

@zlymex that's a shed load of electronics for a "hobby". "Home lab", very impressive!

53 minutes ago, Smoother said:

Siamese? I remember these for having two distinct characteristics 1. A piercing and persistent  meow like an angry baby. And 2. Liking to climb up high, and I guess 3. Liking to ambush people from the high places in #2.

All that plus the fact that they like company - always around and "helping" you :) 

Well, choosing that three-letter word that denotes a higher deity would probably have met some resistance from that guy in the detail who frequently reminds me where I am going so I opted for something more humble, the Swedish name for Bugs Bunny: "Snurre". The name alludes to the word for "spinning" which is what his and my brain frequently do. Now that I come to think of it I probably should have chosen "Spinnrock" which in a way makes sense in English but it means "spinning wheel".

At the time of sign-up I really didn't think I would become very active so I just took the first thing that came to my mind. Incidentally, the cartoon character was also my first English teacher in my early childhood as I mentioned in another thread. Presently being in my late childhood I of course have you all to thank for increasing my vocabulary with words like "MOSFETS", "Faceplant" and "Threadderailmentism".:)

Archived